As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Ultimatum: House Of M Meets World's End?

• BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    no my ultimate comic book would be Powers because Bendis is my favorite writer and Oeming is my favorite artist

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    bloods end don't you go besmirching teen wolf in here

also shut up bale we are making fun of you

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    so this looks pretty bad

Sars_Boy on
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008

Are you telling me that Teen Wolf 3 starring Rulk drawn by Finch would be anything less than amazing?

Bloods End on
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I love the fact that somebody looked at those pages and said, "Great work, Jeph!"

It was everything I expected and more.

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited November 2008
    Sars_Boy wrote: »
    so this looks pretty bad

oh my, yes

DJ Eebs on
  • FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    Good grief, this looks terrible. It's like every character is a parody of themselves.
    It was a relief from cheesy dialog when the world started ending.

And apparently Gwen does become a main character again. Hooray. I'm so glad I found out about it this way instead of finishing the USM storyline. So so glad.

Exactly that, yes. Damnit, Loeb. Keep your horribleness off of USM.

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    FCD wrote: »

Exactly that, yes. Damnit, Loeb. Keep your horribleness off of USM.
    He probably didn't have anything to do with the story in USM, I'm just ticked because this preview basically spoiled the next two issues for me, and I'd rather have found out about Gwen reading them than this preview.

I'm actually not unhappy with Gwen's return, because it has potential (it's different, at least). And I have this awesome vision of an Ultimate Six storyline that involves her.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »
    Ugh that dialouge is awful

and why isnt Kitty sitting next to her boyfriend and why is she calling him "Kong" she always calls him Kenny.

at least the art is nice
    Bite me, Freak.

OH MAN I LOVE MUTIE HATING HAWKEYE.
    Oh wait no I don't.

Oh good lord this is terrible and I am not even buying issue one.
    Ultimates 3 tricked me for like 2 issues.
    Rulk for another 3.

Fuck it.
    This time I'm learning from my mistakes.

The Muffin Man on
  • ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Yeah, this looks like shit. I'll be avoiding it and ignoring it.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Is this going to affect Ultimate Spider-Man? I don't see how it couldn't, if New York's been flooded.

Parker's going to have to move into a FEMA trailer.

Robos A Go Go on
  • frayfray Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    That dialogue literally could not be worse. Most of it doesn't even make sense. "very verily"?
    Ugh.

fray on
    "I told you," said Ford. "Eddies in the space-time continuum."
    "And this is his sofa, is it?" said Arthur.
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    What's the last good thing Loeb did at Marvel? Fallen Son? Why the hell is that so good and the rest of his stuff so bad?

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
    edited November 2008
    I suppose Loeb tries harder when the focus of the story is on human emotion (Fallen Son, the color series) rather than ACTION.

Robos A Go Go on
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So he shouldn't be writing comics then? Or just comics where people die?

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
    edited November 2008
    Permanently fuse him to Tim Sale, if possible.

Robos A Go Go on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Bloods End wrote: »

Are you telling me that Teen Wolf 3 starring Rulk drawn by Finch would be anything less than amazing?

will Rulk be on the basketball team?

this is tantamount to my response

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I read Ultimatum. I enjoyed it. However, I have not read all of the Ultimate books, so I don't know how closely Loeb stayed to their Ultimate characterizations. But I enjoyed issue 1.

However, I do have a couple questions due to the fact that I don't read Ultimate Spider Man or Ultimate Fantastic Four.
    Are Peter Parker and Kitty Pryde a "thing"?

How old are the FF in the Ultimates? In the description box it characterizes them as "Teenage Adventure Heroes." I thought this description was a little weird. In regular Marvel they are much older, so I wasn't sure how accurate this was in Ultimate.

Lucascraft on
    edited November 2008
    #1 you should be reading Ultimate Spider-Man

#2 he and Kitty were a thing, but he's back together with MJ now and she's kinda dating his friend Kong

#3 the Ultimate Fantasic Four are teenagers yes

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Yeah, I've heard that Ultimate Spider Man is awesome. And I love Bendis. But that's a LOT of trades to buy to get caught up, and I just don't have the cash for it right now, especially with everything else I want to read. I don't read regular Spider Man either. He's just never been a priority to me.

Lucascraft on
    edited November 2008
    just start picking it up with the Ultimatum story

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Yeah, I've heard that Ultimate Spider Man is awesome. And I love Bendis. But that's a LOT of trades to buy to get caught up, and I just don't have the cash for it right now, especially with everything else I want to read. I don't read regular Spider Man either. He's just never been a priority to me.

Last year when I went to Wizard world here in Dallas I picked the ultimate hardcover thing they sold at barnes at nobles for like twenty bucks. Big bang for your money. Check amazon and ebay.

noir_blood on
  • smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Well #1 wasn't bad. I mean Loeb is just not ripping of movies he's scene I think but over all the art was good.

I did not like Kitty and Peter's little interaction and it makes me pretty sure Loeb has never read Bendis' USM.

smokmnky on
  • ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    noir_blood wrote: »
    Lucascraft wrote: »

Last year when I went to Wizard world here in Dallas I picked the ultimate hardcover thing they sold at barnes at nobles for like twenty bucks. Big bang for your money. Check amazon and ebay.

It's start off really strong, I would pick up the Hardcovers periodically through Amazon or something similar. You could drop 5 bucks a week to pick up one of the Hardcovers at 20 bucks each month, there's 9 so far.

ManonvonSuperock on
    edited November 2008
    I didnt think this was that bad, although if all those people who seem dead are actually dead I will be really shocked.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2008
    Spoil it, Kristen Bell!

Robos A Go Go on
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Gotta admit, I thought it would be a lot worse. Once you got past the preview stuff though, it was actually pretty compelling. A number of unanswered questions...
    How the hell is Doom back?

...but this might be worth picking up after all.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
    edited November 2008
    Yeah those preview pages are by far by far the worst part of the issue.

Once the flood starts and the characters start talking like superheros instead of what Loeb apparently thinks "real people" talk like it gets much better.

Here's the spoiled version for Robos (and anyone else)
    The majority of the issue is taken up by the massive flood, it envelops new york destructively and quickly. Johnny Storm, Dr. Storm, Wasp, Beast, and Nightcrawler all appear to have drowned. Angel flies Dazzler out of the water and to a rooftop but it appears that she too is dead. Bruce Banner survives by hulking out, Hank Pym survives by growing tall, Iron Man flies Captain America to safety. Reed and Sue are on top of the Baxter Building and Sue passes out from the strain of attempting to hold the flood back. He leaves Sue with The Thing and goes after Namor (who he assumes is behind it). He takes down Namor, who obviously denied the whole thing.

Kitty urges Pete to go out and help people, she will stay in the train and protect thier friends. We see Doom as the only apparent survivor of a completley frozen Latveria. He demands "WHO DARES"

The next page is Logan and Cyclops bursting into Xavier's office where he has fallen out of his chair after a huge pyschic scream. "Kurt.. Hank.. Alison... gone, millions dead. Something terrible has happaned." Logan demands to know whats going on, Xavier explains (while we say at the same time he is mentally contacting Cap, Iron Man, Reed, Ben, and Spidey) that they have to all band together and he shows them what appears to be Ultimate Asteroid M where Magneto is waiting, and he plans to kill every human on the planet.

Final page is the Magneto poster with him in his throne. "Bring them Charles, bring everyone so I can tell them myself. For what they have done, they will have to pay the ultimate price."

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2008
    Gotta admit, I thought it would be a lot worse. Once you got past the preview stuff though, it was actually pretty compelling. A number of unanswered questions...

Well the last issue of Ultimates 3 showed that he was behind the Ultron stuff, but I honestly dont remember when was the last time he appeared before that

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008

Well the last issue of Ultimates 3 showed that he was behind the Ultron stuff, but I honestly dont remember when was the last time he appeared before that
    Hmm. Now this will be a challenge.

Fencingsax on
  • ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So, the preview was at least somewhat shitty (I think I was generally less bothered because I know nothing about the Ultimate versions of these characters), but the art was pretty nice and at the very least it sounds like it'll be some good, brainless fun based upon Bale's description of what happens. Think this might be picking up from that standpoint for someone who has basically read nothing of the Ultimate universe besides the first few arcs of Ultimate X-Men and Ultimate Spidey, as well as the first volume of The Ultimates?

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
    edited November 2008
    I thought the preview was utterly horrible and still ended up thinking this was pretty ok.

and while yes I do like Loeb's Hulk I hated Ultimates 3

so take from that what you will

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2008
    Ultimates 3 has me curious for the same reason. I realize it's brain-meltingly retarded, but it looks so pretty and seems to mostly consist of characters destroying each other for no reason; kind of comic books' popcorn movie equivalent.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
    edited November 2008
    the only redeeming panel of the entire Ultimates 3 trainwreck is when Ultron is telling Wasp she is practically his mother and then Hank screams "I GUESS THAT MAKES ME THE MOTHERFUCKER" and rips off his head

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2008
    Is

Is that actually a line that is said

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
    edited November 2008
    the only redeeming panel of the entire Ultimates 3 trainwreck is when Ultron is telling Wasp she is practically his mother and then Hank screams "I GUESS THAT MAKES ME THE MOTHERFUCKER" and rips off his head

That really happened? Because that sounds ridiculously awesome.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited November 2008
    the line is printed as MOTHER@#!#*@ or whatever, but yeah that exact thing happens

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2008
    Wow, that is exquisite

What the fuck is Loeb smoking?

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    Look I need a scan of that panel ASAP

Me Too! on