As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MotW 11/5/2008 - Fraction, always Fraction

jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid?NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
edited November 2008 in Graphic Violence
Invincible Iron Man wins, particularly because of this page:

IMAGE SPOILERS:
1evp0h.jpg

They need to let Fraction write Spidey more often.

tOkYVT2.jpg
jkylefulton on

• GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

IMAGE SPOILERS:
    1evp0h.jpg

Hell yes they do. That whole issue was great. I've decided that the guy doing the art is really good at people in costumes, not so good at people out of them.

Also Marvel Zombies:
    "I'm a robot!"
    "Exactly! not a ho-bot!"

GR_Zombie on
    04xkcuvaav19.png
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    GR_Zombie wrote: »

IMAGE SPOILERS:
    1evp0h.jpg

Hell yes they do. That whole issue was great. I've decided that the guy doing the art is really good at people in costumes, not so good at people out of them.

Yeah, for sure. Especially close-ups.

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So Manifest Destiny 3
    I really liked the moment at the end when the little girl asked Colossus to help save her kitty, it was really sweet and may have brought a tear to my eye.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Finding out who Trauma's dad was is my MotW. It's
    Nightmare
    BTW.

Punisher annual was good as well, along with IIM.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Final Crisis: Resist was pretty fucking sweet.

Mai-Kero on
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    God I forgot to get Invincible Iron Man.
    I did snag The End, the new suits are super snazzy.
    Ultimatum was ehhhh and obviously set after the current arc in USM so beware some spoilers. Basically, I'm going to suffer through Loeb because I want to see why everyone but USM gets canceled.

On a lighter note, I was reading some Powers today, and a prison is called Loeb Correctional. Loeb doesn't correct things
    He makes them worse

Me Too! on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I would agree that Invincible Iron Man was great.

Although it pissed me off all over again with the whole Brand New Day bullcrap, because all that stuff about Tony telling Peter that he should unmask and register already happened! Did the totally badass Stark Tech Spider suit just never happen? Because damn. Stupid!

Lucascraft on
  • Diablo FettDiablo Fett Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    i only got four books this week (ASM, IIM, Avengers Initiative and Secret SIx) and they were all awesome

actually, most of the Initiative special was just alright, but the Trauma back-up was awesome

Diablo Fett on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Lucascraft wrote: »

Although it pissed me off all over again with the whole Brand New Day bullcrap, because all that stuff about Tony telling Peter that he should unmask and register already happened! Did the totally badass Stark Tech Spider suit just never happen? Because damn. Stupid!

It still happaned, Tony remembers that Peter worked for him. Tony remembers that he worked together with Spidey, but he is unable to connect the two together or remember that Peter is Spider-Man.

Why no one remembers his identity is going to be explained in a big Spidey story that starts early next year.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Mai-Kero wrote: »

I'm going to go get a Max Lord Was Right shirt made.

Munch on
    edited November 2008
    Munch wrote: »

I want to know how the fuck OMACs are so strong, though. How did Earth create technology that can essentially beat the shit out of pretty much any superhero?

Mai-Kero on
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008

I want to know how the fuck OMACs are so strong, though. How did Earth create technology that can essentially beat the shit out of pretty much any superhero?

Batman made it during his spare time. Does it make sense? No. Did DC go along with it anyway? Yes.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited November 2008
    Also, Batman can make technology that can beat any superhero ever, but can't hook Babs Gordan up with some nanobots to fix her legs. Stay classy, Batman!

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited November 2008
    It was derived from Brainiac's technology. Though I still want to know how the OMACs can call down magic lightning able to de-power the Marvels.

Honestly though, I think Mr. Terrific fucked up. OMACs operate by the oft quoted Inverse Ninja Law. The more there are, the weaker they are. He should have sent like, two of them out.

Munch on
    edited November 2008
    Speaking of inconsistencies, has it ever been explained why they don't just fix Two-Face's face? Or would he still be bat-shit crazy? Isn't a lot of his craziness derived from his fucked up features?

Faynor on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Faynor wrote: »
    Speaking of inconsistencies, has it ever been explained why they don't just fix Two-Face's face? Or would he still be bat-shit crazy? Isn't a lot of his craziness derived from his fucked up features?

His face was fixed prior to One Year Later.

Also, Barbara Gordon's legs were fixed a while ago. She just sits in a chair all day cuz she's lazy.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited November 2008
    Oh. I didn't know, I only dabble in DC a little bit. Care to explain?

Faynor on
    edited November 2008
    Faynor wrote: »

Also, a main plot point of Miller's Dark Knight Returns.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited November 2008
    They've fixed Two-Face's scarring like, three times. Each time his psychosis resurfaces and he scars himself again.

As for Barbara Gordon's legs, Prometheus straight-up volunteered to fix her legs. You'd think that, after he'd been jailed, Batman might have gone through his technology and looked for some kind of spine-Spackle.

Munch on
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    They've fixed Two-Face's scarring like, three times. Each time his psychosis resurfaces and he scars himself again.

As for Barbara Gordon's legs, Prometheus straight-up volunteered to fix her legs. You'd think that, after he'd been jailed, Batman might have gone through his technology and looked for some kind of spine-Spackle.

I thought that the first couple it took, and then more bad shit happened and he got scarred up and went nutty again
    And then the last time he went nutty and cut up his own face and went back to the job

Me Too! on
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited November 2008
    I've thought Fraction should write Spider-Man since his fantastic Sensational Spider-Man Annual last year. Plus he seems to stick him in whatever he's writing anyways, so...

DJ Eebs on
  • FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »
    Lucascraft wrote: »

It still happaned, Tony remembers that Peter worked for him. Tony remembers that he worked together with Spidey, but he is unable to connect the two together or remember that Peter is Spider-Man.

Why no one remembers his identity is going to be explained in a big Spidey story that starts early next year.

And, as I've said before, I think it's fantastic that we're getting some concrete information about how the new status quo works over a year after it actually started. You're doin' a heckuva job, Joey.

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Damn that Iron Man looks good. Somehow I don't think there are any comics shops in Healdsburg. Stupid work trips. I need my Iron Man.

Did anyone get Spider-Man and X-men? How is it?

desc on
    edited November 2008
    You seem to be under some kind of strange impression that Quesada is writing or even editing the Spider-Man titles (he's not)

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2008
    You seem to be under some kind of strange impression that Quesada is writing or even editing the Spider-Man titles (he's not)

I imagine that, as EiC, he has some say over what goes on in one of Marvel's flagship titles. Especially since the current direction it is going in was pretty explicitly stated to be his idea.

FCD on
    edited November 2008
    Honestly, putting Jeph Loeb in charge of your status-quo-redefining-crossover indicates to me that JoeQ just doesn't care about the Ultimate line anymore.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited November 2008
    FCD wrote: »

I imagine that, as EiC, he has some say over what goes on in one of Marvel's flagship titles. Especially since the current direction it is going in was pretty explicitly stated to be his idea.

Yes, he pushed to put the new status quo in place

but given that the book has a team of about 7-8 writers plus a dedicated editor in Steve Wacker who is in turn overseen by Tom Breevort, your implication that Quesada is outlining every story for ASM since OMD is not even remotely based in reality.

and to jkyle: Loeb's books sell, if they didnt sell he wouldnt get such high profile assignments, but everything with his name on it is in pretty much always in the top 5 on the sales charts in the month it comes out.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2008

but given that the book has a team of about 7-8 writers plus a dedicated editor in Steve Wacker who is in turn overseen by Tom Breevort, your implication that Quesada is outlining every story for ASM since OMD is not even remotely based in reality.

I'm not saying that he's outlining every story. All I'm saying is that there are certain points that he requires in regards to Spider-man(ie: Pete is neither married nor divorced, Aunt May is alive, the unmasking either never happened or no one remembers it, etc), and the rest he leaves to the writing/editing staff's discretion. I find this to be less than optimal.

FCD on
    edited November 2008

and to jkyle: Loeb's books sell, if they didnt sell he wouldnt get such high profile assignments, but everything with his name on it is in pretty much always in the top 5 on the sales charts in the month it comes out.

300px-Onslaught_reborn_3.JPG

http://pwbeat.publishersweekly.com/blog/2008/03/10/marvel-month-to-month-sales-january-2008-2/#more-4861

52. ONSLAUGHT REBORN
    01/07 —
    02/07 —
    03/07 Onslaught Reborn #3 of 5 - 52,420 ( -4.9%)
    04/07 —
    05/07 —
    06/07 —
    07/07 Onslaught Reborn #4 of 5 - 45,946 (-12.4%)
    08/07 —
    09/07 —
    10/07 —
    11/07 —
    12/07 —
    01/08 Onslaught Reborn #5 of 5 - 39,083 (-14.9%)

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited November 2008
    ok yes, well aside from vanity projects about a property no one cares about

Hulk, Fallen Son, Ultimates 3 all sell a fuckton of copies when they come out (or came out)

and shit 52k for a fucking Onslaught Reborn mini is actually a pretty damn good number, who the fuck is buying that?

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2008
    You bought it, didn't you Bale? You bought it. I know you did.

I'm just bitter about my fantasy football team.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    you bought it didn't you bale

edit - DAMN YOU JKYLE

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I think after Red Hulk, Marvel is probably quite antsy to affix their Loeb-Money-Printing-Machine to any number of titles.

desc on
    edited November 2008
    fuck no

Onslaught is one of the low points in X-Men history

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2008
    You probably rub a copy of ONSLAUGHT REBORN #1 all over your body every night before you go to bed. You really expect me to believe that you wouldn't buy a book written by Loeb with Rob Liefeld art? Seriously? You know you fucking bought it. You know it!

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited November 2008
    fuck no

Onslaught is one of the low points in X-Men history

you're just mad it didn't go as long as the clone saga

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited November 2008
    hey TLB you know Jeph Loeb created X-Man right

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2008
    Did anyone read Authority?
    Was that one of the motherfuckers from Sliding Albion?

Mai-Kero on
    edited November 2008
    hey TLB you know Jeph Loeb created X-Man right

yes

he also created John Matrix

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited November 2008

Barbara turned Prometheus down, though. Why would she say yes to Batman?

Garlic Bread on
This discussion has been closed.