As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Resistance Fall of Man 2: More people should be talking about it (BETA)

• SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I hope people are still playing when I eventually can get it a couple months from now. :(

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • MalechaiMalechai Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    There seems to be alot more to the Co-Op than the beta map lead on. I imagine I will keep playing for some time.

First impresion of the Single player campaign. It plays kinda like halo meets a toned down serrious sam. The guns are awsome so far though there are some points that can be kind of anoying.

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
  • MarikirMarikir Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Played the first two levels, which are the Prologue and Chapter 1, I guess.

Found it to be pretty intense. Some very "Oh, you are KIDDING ME" moments in just those two.
    When walking out of the base and seeing SF Bay...I mean, I've seen pics of the game before...but...my Gods that was just...jaw dropping. The fact that each item was animated reminded me of the first time I played God of War 1 and saw Ares fighting as a giant far in the background.

I cannot imagine the vistas that can be realized as developers get more and more comfortable with the architecture.

Game is pretty fast paced, but I had a couple of annoying parts already.
    The Drone "HIDE!" section wasn't really made quite clear enough, though I got it after the first two tries. And the first jump to get past that Fury swimming around the square platform. Didn't realize you couldn't kill the Fury. And not quite being familar with the "swimming mechanics" made that part slightly more frustrating than intended, I imagine.

So far, I'm enjoying it.

I've added one friend request (thanks Jael) and have applied for Resistance PA. I'm not a clan type of person as I just play for fun...but this definitely seems like something that can be fun in a group of regular teammates. Just hope I can be of some use...as a meatshield if nothing else.

Marikir on
    steam_sig.png "Hiding in plain sight." PSN/XBL: Marikir
  • LordNibblerLordNibbler Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Yeah there have been a bunch of annoying parts I get stuck on but I'm finding it to be a pretty sweet game.

LordNibbler on
    Twitter
    PSN: JPBrowncoat Xbox: BamSaidTheLaday Also on Steam! Streaming games!
  • JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Man some of the prologue/chapter one areas, mostly the ones that looked like construction areas with nothing but some fences and a few lamely modeled/textured trucks, signs and equipment were just super dull looking and incredibly out of place considering the rest of what I've seen so far (early chapter two?) has been brilliantly done. Just kind of odd.

I love that you get a smorgasbord of weapons very early. New Chimera sniper rifle is an instant favorite. Resistance PA probably the dullest clan name ever. My vote is for something like Rise of Wang (an easy RoW abbreviation!) or a complete non sequitur.

JAEF on
    edited November 2008
    Regarding the clan...

Can a person be in multiple clans? I wouldn't see why not, but I'm not sure how this stuff all works.

If it is allowed, perhaps use Resistance PA as a clearinghouse/gathering clan? Then create "sub-clans" of smaller squads or something, maybe with unique and amusing names. That way, we'd have one group to use with the massive 60 player maps and smaller groups for the Co-Op mode.

Just a suggestion, like I said I have no idea if it's even feasible.

Marikir on
  • VothVoth Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I've been playing the campaign off and on. I think it's quite a bit better than the first game, though I'm not really that fond of the occasional one-hit death from enemies. Also, some of the 'zerg rush' portions aren't as balanced as I would like, but it's still fun.

Voth on
    reverbnation -- last.fm -- facebook -- twitter -- bandcamp --youtube -- PSN: audapostrophe -- XBL: audapostrophe -- NNID: audapostrophe -- Myspace
  • greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Just beat the game. Pretty damn awesome, though a bit shorter than I would have liked. There were some truly epic fights in this game.

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Okay, so uh... How do I change how dark this game is. Its like Charley Murphy up in here. Even in the daylight scenes things are dark as fuck-all. PSN name is Dhaval. Should be playing some tonight, if I can make the darn thing playable.

Wulf on
    Everyone needs a little Chaos!
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I'm up for playing with some PA folks, my PSN is in my sig, also I don't mind joining the clan just as long as I'm not obligated to play.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
    edited November 2008
    After thinking about my experience, here's a few impressions.

1 - wish the game had a built in brightness/contrast control. I looked and couldn't find one. Did I miss it?

2 - guns felt like they had a punch, especially the carbine and the pistol.

3 - Only two guns at time? Hmmm...okay. Would like to have a pistol as well, but...okay.

4 - verbal directions from the NPCs are a little...off.

5 - Wish it had some sort of cover system other than jump behind something and duck. Yeah, it's not a showstopper, just a preferrence for something. Maybe I'm missing something as well.

6 - The grenades. Do NOT forget to use these little bundles of joy. So satisfying. Use and abuse.

I'm pretty sure I've missed some stuff already. Game/plot moves REALLY fast. Probably do another run through at some point to try and watch and not just survive.

Looking forward to doing some Co-Op/Competitive as well. Hope it's fun.
    I really does remind me of HALO style combat. Fast, frenetic shooting, ducking behind something when I'm hit, rapidly reloading, and then strafing the next 2-3 enemies.

Marikir on
  • DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Marikir wrote: »
    5 - Wish it had some sort of cover system other than jump behind something and duck. Yeah, it's not a showstopper, just a preferrence for something. Maybe I'm missing something as well.

Everyone, lets give a big round o' applause to Gears of War/Uncharted/R6:V for ruining the pure FPS for the rest of us.

DietarySupplement on
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    pure FPS? /facepalm

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited November 2008
    Wulf wrote: »
    Okay, so uh... How do I change how dark this game is. Its like Charley Murphy up in here. Even in the daylight scenes things are dark as fuck-all. PSN name is Dhaval. Should be playing some tonight, if I can make the darn thing playable.

Use right on the dpad for you flashlight.

Just cleared Chicago in single player last night so far my favorite chaptor thought SanFran was gona be hard to top.

Tonight though want to try and clear all 10 missions of chicago Co-Op. Thinking when we hit the hybrid rush in the subway we probly aught to fall back to the top of the stairs and try to hold them there. Cause fighting in the tunnel has always lead to a verry fast facepalm worthy end.

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
    edited November 2008

Everyone, lets give a big round o' applause to Gears of War/Uncharted/R6:V for ruining the pure FPS for the rest of us.

Oddly enough, the first games I played that had a cover system were Metal Gear Solid 4 and Grand Theft Auto 4. I sort of remember the cover system from the Uncharted demo, but since I never played the actual game, it didn't make too much of an impact on me.

I tried R6:V...but it didn't gel for me. Didn't keep it. Also, never played Gears of War as I don't have a 360, but it looks fun. One day, perhaps...

It's fine that Insomniac didn't put something in. I just realized that I was actively "missing" something. After I get my "pure FPS" feet back, I'll be runin' 'n gunin' again, no problem. It just was...startling to realize that I actually was missing a mechanism that didn't exist in the game before.

Marikir on
  • TheUnsane1TheUnsane1 PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    pure FPS? /facepalm

Aren't all three of those games ya know.... 3rd person? I assume thats what he meant. (wait maybe r6 isn't.. I don't like realistic shooters so I haven't played it)

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008

3 - Only two guns at time? Hmmm...okay. Would like to have a pistol as well, but...okay.
    Yeah that's my complaint as well, what the hell made them change the way the first game was set up where you had an entire arsenal. Restricting the guns may make the game a bit more realis... aliens in a alternate retrofuturistic 1950s isolationist America.. Never mind. Why make the game LESS fun by restricting it?!

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
    edited November 2008
    TheUnsane1 wrote: »
    pure FPS? /facepalm

Aren't all three of those games ya know.... 3rd person? I assume thats what he meant. (wait maybe r6 isn't.. I don't like realistic shooters so I haven't played it)
    i'm talking about how it's an excuse to say something is "pure genre" because it's missing a good feature.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    pure FPS? /facepalm

... He's talking about RFoM2, a game in which you shoot things in the first person and he wants a cover system.

Back in my day, we strafed to avoid damage, uphill, both ways, in the snow.

You know, just like the first Resistance.

So explain the /facepalm.

DietarySupplement on
    edited November 2008

Yeah that's my complaint as well, what the hell made them change the way the first game was set up where you had an entire arsenal. Restricting the guns may make the game a bit more realis... aliens in a alternate retrofuturistic 1950s isolationist America.. Never mind. Why make the game LESS fun by restricting it?!

not playing the game and not knowing anything about it, I'd guess it's to help multiplay. if you have every gun and you're a one man army, why would you need teammates? this way, you can have someone holding the rocket launcher and you have the shotgun, and another guy with a "sniper rifle"... ok it's a second guy with a rocket launcher.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • TheUnsane1TheUnsane1 PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008

It makes the game feel more Halo in multi I am thinking could be there reasoning. Across the net I hear alot of Halo comparison which depending on your point of view isn't a bad thing.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
    edited November 2008

not playing the game and not knowing anything about it, I'd guess it's to help multiplay. if you have every gun and you're a one man army, why would you need teammates? this way, you can have someone holding the rocket launcher and you have the shotgun, and another guy with a "sniper rifle"... ok it's a second guy with a rocket launcher.

If I remember from my brief period in Multiplayer on R1, you could carry 4 weapons or so, just like the game.

Yeah, this probably is for balancing and to encourage you to try the different guns. That's fine.

But, if you want a pistol, that one .44 will take up as much space as a rifle/rocketlauncher. Seems odd. Does Hale not wear a holster?

Second Act spoiler
    After the ambush, Hale recovers and stands. He has a pistol, but I don't remember him having to find/pick it up. He just had it.
    Why can't that be the way it normally is, that he just has a "pistol slot" or something.

It's a minor complaint for me, but was something I thought. An impression, as it were.
    TheUnsane1 wrote: »

It makes the game feel more Halo in multi I am thinking could be there reasoning. Across the net I hear alot of Halo comparison which depending on your point of view isn't a bad thing.

I don't find it a bad thing. It's a convenient point of comparison. Plus...I think all regenerating health systems are going to remind people of Halo 2 and slightly of Halo 1 with it's shields (but without the healthpacks).

Marikir on
    edited November 2008
    Well with the whole MP argument you could always make MP only 2 guns at a time and SP however the crap you want. Wouldn't that make sense? They are two different game experiences.

The_Spaniard on
  • guidedbyvicesguidedbyvices Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Has anyone mentioned how tangible the water feels in this game?
    There's dimension, waves, it feels like a substance and not a transparent texture.

Makes Far Cry 2's pools of shiny tiles look worse.

So much to love in this game. Why aren't more kids screaming about this? And this is the closest I've come to experiencing a first person zerg-rush (barring Serious Sam and that old KISS fps a billion years ago).

guidedbyvices on
    PSN RadCrimes
  • WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Malechai wrote: »
    Wulf wrote: »

Use right on the dpad for you flashlight.

o_O
    :|
    D:
    :oops:
    Well... I uh... thought I had tried all the buttons... Thanks :P

Wulf on
    Everyone needs a little Chaos!
  • greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Man The_Scarab really needs to update the OP. The game is no longer in beta and it deserves some better screen shots. (The game looks fantastic)

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
    edited November 2008
    pure FPS? /facepalm

... He's talking about RFoM2, a game in which you shoot things in the first person and he wants a cover system.

I don't know that I would say I want a cover system. It would be nice. I guess I should illustrate what I meant. Slight Spoilers about the second level, Chapter 1.
    At the point where you run into a room divided by flooding, with the Chimera across the way, and you, the Doctor, and several soldiers are shooting it out, I dashed into the room under HEAVY fire. I slammed into a crate and push a button, trying to "lock in" on the cover. I wasn't looking for blind fire or being able to fire from cover. I just wanted to "lock in" and be assured that I was in a good spot. It took me a moment, but then I realized that the game didn't have that option, so I adjusted my position manually, recovered my health, and then proceeded to pop out, shoot a few, pop back into cover, rinse and repeat.

It was instinctual, probably due to previous shooter games I played like GTA4 and MGS4 and the Brothers in Arms demo that I tried to "lock in." I'm not saying the game is less than it could be, it was just odd that I tried something that wasn't in the game. I'd like one as it's a nice addition, but not going to be upset at it's non-inclusion. As stated, I'll adjust and be fine.

I do, however, like the sprint. Feels...weighty? A solid representation of a tactical sprint, in my opinion.

Marikir on
  • MonkeydryeMonkeydrye Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Damn Fallout has me tired up at the moment. but I should have this during the weekend. After my time with the Co-op, I can't WAIT!

Edit: Also the 2 guns thing may have to do with having more enemies and bigger environments. just guessing.

Monkeydrye on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2008
    Monkeydrye wrote: »
    Damn Fallout has me tired up at the moment. but I should have this during the weekend. After my time with the Co-op, I can't WAIT!

Edit: Also the 2 guns thing may have to do with having more enemies and bigger environments. just guessing.

I honestly think it might be a balancing thing...but I also think it's to get you to try out other weapons as you come across them and to not horde them. Lord knows I grab a Bullseye and I am SWIMMING in ammo the entire level. No issue there. It's just odd to me about the Pistol, that's all.

So yeah, balancing, larger environments, more enemies, and wanting you to just play with all the cool toys that Insomniac came up with.

(Shotgun is full of death. Close range = death. So satisfying to round a corner, have three hybrids jump you, and have the startled twitch of the Fire button kill all three because they ate shottie. Laughed for a few minutes about that.)

Marikir on
  • xWonderboyxxWonderboyx Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I was so close to grabbing this today at the exchange. The best perk about military is tax free shopping, and man I was so close to buying this today. I may still get it tomorrow.

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
  • ChewyWafflesChewyWaffles Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Has anyone mentioned how tangible the water feels in this game?
    There's dimension, waves, it feels like a substance and not a transparent texture.

Makes Far Cry 2's pools of shiny tiles look worse.

So much to love in this game. Why aren't more kids screaming about this? And this is the closest I've come to experiencing a first person zerg-rush (barring Serious Sam and that old KISS fps a billion years ago).

Same thing happening to so many other good games - they're getting drowned in a sea of awesome. I loved the first Resistance and can't wait to play this. There's something about Insomniac games I just love.

ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg
  • AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    After playing this for a bit in single player campaign, I can really tell that much of the level design was done with Co-Op in mind. The first elevator you ride, when I first got in, I thought... wow this elevator is a little big, and kinda boring looking. Then I pictured it with 7 other people.. and it seemed to be just the right size. I'm having lots of fun so far, I just really want to test out co-op.

Really? I thought the co-op campaign was supposed to be completely separate from single player. I've kind of kept my distance from this for the moment since I never finished the first one, but after hearing a couple people talking about their co-op experiences I'm really torn about this one. There are actually like 4 games I'm trying to choose between tonight, and this is really one of them. Argh, I hate this time of year.

What is the massive battlefield online modes like? How is the playerbase at this point? Do they still seem to be pretty prone to complete silence? At this point, that's been one of my biggest criticisms after coming off Live. It's hard to get used to playing with team mates who don't talk and coordinate, and with the way it sounds like co-op plays out, and with the size of the large scale battles, voice really seems like it would be a good thing.

Oh, and if I do decide this is one of the two games I pick up this evening, I'll be on an SD set for the weekend. I've noticed that the PS3 doesn't handle SD very well, and I'm curious how it looks.

Aoi on
    edited November 2008
    pure FPS? /facepalm
    [no spoilers, just shortening the post]

Using the term "pure FPS" sounds to me a bit elitist. Your reasoning and such for no cover system is fine.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited November 2008
    So anyone up for trying to finish Chicago in co-op? Gona start hosting soon.

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
  • xboxxerxboxxer Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Just sent you a request for invite. PSN tag is Entair

xboxxer on
    PSN: Entair / XBLive: White Seraph
  • xboxxerxboxxer Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

This may just be me, but I think this has made the game MORE fun.

When I played R1, I primarily used the Carbine/Bullseye for the entire campaign, because I was hording my "good" weapons, for the final boss fight. It's the RPG mentality of hording all the buffing potions.

Everytime I ran into a stockpile of exotic weapon ammo, I was annoyed that I hadn't even used that weapon yet :).

This game really encourages you to change weapons -- especially how when you get ammo from a dropped gun, you get like 30 rounds, but if you pick it up (by dropping another weapon), you're full.

I try to keep 1 carbine/bullseye, and then one secondary weapon (sniper, shotgun, pistol, etc...), and I use that secondary a fair bit.

So maybe they changed it for crazy neurotic OCD players like me. :)

xboxxer on
    PSN: Entair / XBLive: White Seraph
    edited November 2008
    xboxxer wrote: »

Just sent you a request for invite. PSN tag is Entair

Don't know why but my router has gone to crap tonight. Every game I've gotten into kicks me with in 5 minutes even when hosting. I'll add anyone wanting a clan invite but realy wanting to play tonight. :(

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
    edited November 2008
    Going into the game now. Going to give a look at the different online modes.

Marikir on
  • ED!ED! Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Just picked this up. I think my brother f'd up my system. Everything is WAY jaggy, and in no way as smooth as it was with R1. I have a Dynex and the PS3 set to 720P. Connecting via HDMI cables. Anyone have any suggestions?

ED! on
    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    ED! wrote: »
    Just picked this up. I think my brother f'd up my system. Everything is WAY jaggy, and in no way as smooth as it was with R1. I have a Dynex and the PS3 set to 720P. Connecting via HDMI cables. Anyone have any suggestions?
    There's no way it should look jaggy. Redo your output settings and make sure your TV settings aren't set to any sort of zoom or weird aspect ratio. Some of the textures are a bit boring but no way should you be seeing jaggies.

JAEF on
This discussion has been closed.