As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Help explain the exciting world of tax law!

JebusUDJebusUD Adventure!Candy IslandRegistered User regular
edited November 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
So, Buisness taxes, specifically small buisness taxes, are calculated on net profits, correct? As in, only net profits are taxed.

Say, if I make 250k and have 8 employees, lets say I only profit 40k after payroll. The 40k is what would be taxed?

If anyone knows of a site that explains this in simple detail it would be very helpful.

I write you a story
But it loses its thread
JebusUD on

• taerictaeric Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2008
    I believe there is a payroll tax you would also be paying, but overall that idea is correct.

I don't know of any sites right off, though. I can ask some accountant friends.

Edit: That is to say, I may be able to dig up something if nobody can find something for you quickly.

taeric on
  • shugaraeshugarae Phoenix, AZRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    JebusUD wrote: »
    So, Buisness taxes, specifically small buisness taxes, are calculated on net profits, correct? As in, only net profits are taxed.

That's the general gist of it... it also depends on how your business is set up (proprietorship, partnership, LLC, LLP, C-corp, S-corp, etc.).

Also, there may be additional items that are included in net income that are not taxable (tax-exempt interest income, some life insurance proceeds, etc), or items that may be calculated differently for tax purposes and reporting purposes (depreciation, etc).

As for a website that explains it... www.irs.gov. Download a tax form (the ones that's right for your type of business) and its instructions and try to fill it in. It's not really as hard as people make it out to be, and you'll learn a lot. :^:

shugarae on
    Omeganaut class of '08. Fuck Peggle. Omeganaut class of '17 West. Fuck Rainbow Road.
    The Best in Terms of Pants on JCCC3
  • JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Thing is, I don't have a business, I just have an argument. Somehow they believe that the tax is calculated on Gross.

I've been trying to find somthing that explains it as simple as possible.

JebusUD on
    I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
  • shugaraeshugarae Phoenix, AZRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    In that case... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Income_tax

Very first paragraph:
    ...corporate income taxes often tax net income (the difference between gross receipts, expenses, and additional write-offs).

shugarae on
    Omeganaut class of '08. Fuck Peggle. Omeganaut class of '17 West. Fuck Rainbow Road.
    The Best in Terms of Pants on JCCC3
  • YourBuddyYourBuddy Registered User regular
    Thing is, I don't have a business, I just have an argument. Somehow they believe that the tax is calculated on Gross.

I've been trying to find somthing that explains it as simple as possible.

Who is they?

This discussion has been closed.