As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MotW 11/5/2008 - Fraction, always Fraction

• descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Can I nominate the entire issue 3 of the Sub-mariner as my moment of the week? I don't know what single panel or page to pick out of the whole thing.

I have never been into Namor on any level, and this might be my favorite thing marvel is publishing right now.

desc on
  • stratslingerstratslinger Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    FCD wrote: »
    Pouches as far as the eye can see.

It always depressed me that the nineties never reached their logical conclusion. An incredibly muscular dark magician anti-hero, who owns a magical pouch from which he can produce the hugest guns in the universe.

But not JUST huge guns in that magic pouch. There must be another magic pouch inside the first, itself containing another magical pouch, which also contains.

It's pouches all the way down!

stratslinger on
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    dang now I have to get that issue

Putting X-Men/Spidey on my pull list
    I gotta see this

Me Too! on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    wiggin did I ever tell you that I have read pretty much all of the clone saga, and still own like half the books in it

this is catharsis for me

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I totally grew up on that. I read the entire run of Spider-Man as a kid in a row (thank you dad's giant comic collection), then finally caught up to the monthlies around the time of the Clone Saga and damn even at 12 I was like like "Jackal what? Bring back Osborne or something, this is pretty bad!"

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
    edited November 2008
    See I was fine until Traveller came about

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Goddamn I love Ben's Spidey suit. It shall always be the third best(close to second) best spidey suit.

Transporter on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I don't dig the outside webshooters, but it is pretty nice.

Robos A Go Go on
  • TachTach Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Yeah, I'm a "Black Suit > Original Suit > Ben Reilly Suit > 2099 Suit" kinda guy. I always wondered why Ulitimate Spider-Man never altered the costume, when all the other Ult. titles did so radically.

Tach on
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Looks like runner-up this week for me is ASM #576:

IMAGE SPOILERS:
    1pj6oh.jpg

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • muninnmuninn Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Looks like runner-up this week for me is ASM #576:

IMAGE SPOILERS:
    1pj6oh.jpg

I wanted to post the exactly same page, but was too lazy.
    Hi5!

muninn on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Tach wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm a "Black Suit > Original Suit > Ben Reilly Suit > 2099 Suit" kinda guy. I always wondered why Ulitimate Spider-Man never altered the costume, when all the other Ult. titles did so radically.

Wasn't Ultimate Spider-Man the first Ultimate title? If so, the extent to which Marvel was comfortable redesigning characters wasn't established yet, and they may have chosen to stick to the traditional look simply because it was safe.

Robos A Go Go on
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Solicits aren't written by the series' writers anyway.

Bendis has said several times that he writes at least some of his books' solicits.

It always depressed me that the nineties never reached their logical conclusion. An incredibly muscular dark magician anti-hero, who owns a magical pouch from which he can produce the hugest guns in the universe.
    You obviously didn't play RPGs back then.

Crimsondude on
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »
    X-Men #1, which featured the Jim Lee redesigns came out in 1991.

Ben Reilly was Spider-Man from Jan '96 to Dec '96
    Whoops, got the year wrong. Still, looking at that cover Spider-Ben and Angel gettings his wings back were relatively close, though Wolverine was in his "feral" bandana costume at that point. When did Storm wear black?

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited November 2008
    Ringo wrote: »
    Balefuego wrote: »
    X-Men #1, which featured the Jim Lee redesigns came out in 1991.

Ben Reilly was Spider-Man from Jan '96 to Dec '96
    Whoops, got the year wrong. Still, looking at that cover Spider-Ben and Angel gettings his wings back were relatively close, though Wolverine was in his "feral" bandana costume at that point. When did Storm wear black?

About the same time you got the stick out of your vagina

Garlic Bread on
  • Jester313Jester313 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    *Zing!

Jester313 on
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So never?

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    edited November 2008
    wiggin did I ever tell you that I have read pretty much all of the clone saga, and still own like half the books in it

this is catharsis for me

The first comic I really remember reading is the very last part of the Clone Saga
    You know the one
    "You want me dead, you grinning green clown" etc etc
    But you have my sympathy

Me Too! on
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Yeah Spider-Man was good this week.

deadonthestreet on
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I love the costume that Ben Reily has. It's interesting either way seeing the different "eras", so to speak, of comics.

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
    edited November 2008
    Me Too! wrote: »

this is catharsis for me

The first comic I really remember reading is the very last part of the Clone Saga
    You know the one
    But you have my sympathy

the last part was actually one of the highlights of the whole damn thing.

web of scarlet spider, however, was not

nor was lady octopus, spider-cide, ben going into the virtual world to fight a villain, or judas goddamn traveller.

so many memories

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited November 2008
    Me Too! wrote: »

this is catharsis for me

You know the one
    But you have my sympathy

the last part was actually one of the highlights of the whole damn thing.

web of scarlet spider, however, was not

nor was lady octopus, spider-cide, ben going into the virtual world to fight a villain, or judas goddamn traveller.

so many memories

I liked Virtual Mortality or whatever the first Scarlet Spider arc was called!
    Of course I was what? 8 years old when I read it? Maybe?

Me Too! on
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2008
    The Colossus story in Manifest Destiny is maybe the funniest X-Men story for a decade. It's fucking great.

Bogart on
  • Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The iceman one was pretty cool too... Up until mystiq came back.

Sharp101 on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Sharp101 wrote: »
    The iceman one was pretty cool too... Up until mystiq came back.

What you just said makes no sense

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2008
    Uh, yeah. The Iceman one is centered around the resolution of the storyline of Bobby and Mystique. So it was good for a total of ten seconds.

Faynor on
  • AibynAibyn Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

But not JUST huge guns in that magic pouch. There must be another magic pouch inside the first, itself containing another magical pouch, which also contains.

It's pouches all the way down!

DC went there.
    170px-Hatdcu0.jpg

Aibyn on
    "Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil...prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon..."

-- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)
    11737_c4020a74dc025a53.png
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I know it didn't come out this week but I just finished uo 1985 and oh my god that is the best thing Mark Millar has ever written.

Sars_Boy on
    edited November 2008
    Sars_Boy wrote: »
    I know it didn't come out this week but I just finished uo 1985 and oh my god that is the best thing Mark Millar has ever written.
    I'm not certain whether or not to get this. Sometimes I like Millar and sometimes I think he's half-braindead.

I mean I think of him as one of the better writers in comics, but stuff like the new Fantastic Four sucks horribly.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Sars_Boy wrote: »
    I'm not certain whether or not to get this. Sometimes I like Millar and sometimes I think he's half-braindead.

I mean I think of him as one of the better writers in comics, but stuff like the new Fantastic Four sucks horribly.
    A) Get it

B) His FF is awesome, quit sucking so much

Sars_Boy on
    edited November 2008
    You shut your mouth because his Fantastic Four is good.

But 1985 is sublime

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2008
    Bah, his Fantastic Four is horrendous. He randomly introduced an old lover of Reeds, her entire fake planet that is apparently taking Earth's Refugees from... something, and then had Reed build a Mecha to fight another Mecha that was made to look like a giant metal Captain America.

... In retrospect, if Ellis had written it I might have thought it was brilliant.

Anyways, so okay 1985 is Good irrespective of how shitty his FF is.

durandal4532 on
    edited November 2008
    have you kept reading FF? the first arc was a little slow but it's really picked up since then.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2008
    That is true, I've been at school for the past like... 6-7 issues? I left right where Doom is revealed to have been captured by the Defenders That Surprisingly Don't Suck Balls.

Or at least I think it was the Defenders. They had a smart hulk and a Human Torch rip-off.

durandal4532 on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Yeah, the idea that Reed wouldn't do a super huge background check on the person taking care of his kids is super-silly. That's not to say that his FF isn't good, it's just not great. Of course, I don't really love anything Millar's written, although some stuff isn't terrible, like FF.

Fencingsax on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    That is true, I've been at school for the past like... 6-7 issues? I left right where Doom is revealed to have been captured by the Defenders That Surprisingly Don't Suck Balls.

Or at least I think it was the Defenders. They had a smart hulk and a Human Torch rip-off.
    It would have been impressive if that scene hadn't been done better during Annihilation.

Fencingsax on
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Faynor wrote: »
    I love the costume that Ben Reily has. It's interesting either way seeing the different "eras", so to speak, of comics.

I kinda wish that, given Marvel's sliding time scale, when they went back and did new stories taking place ~10 years ago in Marvel time they made it ~10 years ago in our time too. Fake-retro 60s stuff is always hard for me to enjoy...actually, it's hard for me to enjoy actual 60s issues too.

Edit: And oh god, yea, that whole FF arc with the fake Earth was weak. A bunch of pretty much out-of-continuity stuff that'll never be mentioned before or after. And a single robot able to beat every superhuman on Earth except Reed's robot that he just pulled out of his ass at the last minute. Deus ex Ass.

Scooter on
    edited November 2008
    Uh it's not out of continuity at all, especially since both the fake earth and Reed's ex have played parts in the current arc.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2008
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Yeah, the idea that Reed wouldn't do a super huge background check on the person taking care of his kids is super-silly. That's not to say that his FF isn't good, it's just not great. Of course, I don't really love anything Millar's written, although some stuff isn't terrible, like FF.

With the "reveal" as to who it is, I think it's pretty safe to say she would know how to falsify such a thing, or how to fool whoever was doing the background check...
    Which was presumably Sue, so I think she'd know how to fool herself.

Faynor on
  • kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Wait, people think Millar's FF is good? I wouldn't have expected it. It'd be fine if it were out of continuity, but since it isn't supposed to be, it's dopey.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
This discussion has been closed.