As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Ultimatum: House Of M Meets World's End?

• LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Ok, wait. On those deaths:
    How does that make any sense? The opening attack was to flood New York, right? Was that all there was to it? I mean, that would kill millions of people, but several of the supers on that list can straight up fly or teleport. I just think it's pretty silly.

Langly on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »
    Again, we dont know if any of these are going to stick, but the first issue gives the impression that the following characters died in the opening attack.
    Wasp
    Beast
    Nightcrawler
    Dazzler
    The Human Torch
    Dr. Storm
    I was given the impression Sue died, too.
    No, Reed clearly tells Ben she's still breathing (thought just barely)

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Langly wrote: »
    How does that make any sense? The opening attack was to flood New York, right? Was that all there was to it? I mean, that would kill millions of people, but several of the supers on that list can straight up fly or teleport. I just think it's pretty silly.

How do you fly/teleport away from something that you have no idea is coming and then within the span of half a second you're under 300 ft of water? Not to mention some of the people were in buildings and others were on the street where any number of debris and flying cars and shit could hit you.

SatanIsMyMotor on
    edited November 2008
    well it wasnt just any old flood, it was an extremely destructive and forcefull tsunami that engulfed the city in a matter of seconds. For example both Johnny Storm and the Wasp were inside buildings that were very suddenly filled with water, so eventhough yes they can both fly, it didnt do them any good.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »
    well it wasnt just any old flood, it was an extremely destructive and forcefull tsunami that engulfed the city in a matter of seconds. For example both Johnny Storm and the Wasp were inside buildings that were very suddenly filled with water, so eventhough yes they can both fly, it didnt do them any good.
    Jan could conceivably survive if she shrank, found a small source of air, and then swam out when she was ready.

Robos A Go Go on
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    God dammit, I cannot believe the Ultimate universe went from 0 to Wiiiipeout in less than a decade.

Nicely done, Marvel.

USM is going to be basically unchanged though, right? It doesn't matter how hard he tries, Loeb can't ruin Spidey, right?

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
    edited November 2008
    God dammit, I cannot believe the Ultimate universe went from 0 to Wiiiipeout in less than a decade.

Nicely done, Marvel.

USM is going to be basically unchanged though, right? It doesn't matter how hard he tries, Loeb can't ruin Spidey, right?
    I guess it depends on whether or not Peter's home and school or the Daily Bugle were destroyed. I mean, Spider-Man might be living in a FEMA trailer from now on.

Robos A Go Go on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I don't have a source, but I've read people state before on these boards that Bendis and Waid have been part of the planning team for Ultimatum. I have a feeling that Jeph Loeb is writing under their supervision. Its very likely that whatever ends up happening is part of a much bigger plan than just Loeb.

Lucascraft on
    edited November 2008
    What? Mark Waid has nothing to do with the Ultimate Universe.

Do you mean Mark Millar?

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Oh yeah. Wrong Mark. My mistake.

Lucascraft on
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I don't have a source, but I've read people state before on these boards that Bendis and Waid have been part of the planning team for Ultimatum. I have a feeling that Jeph Loeb is writing under their supervision. Its very likely that whatever ends up happening is part of a much bigger plan than just Loeb.

Well, that, and the fact that I'm pretty sure Bendis has used the phrase "from my cold dead hands" to describe when they'll get USM

Me Too! on
  • arcatharcath Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Wasn't the whole point of this to reset the ultimate universe though?

I remember reading somewhere that the only book guaranteed to survive was USM.

So far, I really enjoyed the first book.

arcath on
    camo_sig.png
  • SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Munch wrote: »
    Me Too! wrote: »
    Look I need a scan of that panel ASAP

If you haven't already, I suggest you read 4th Letter's Ultimate Edit series, an edited version of Ultimates 3, with all the dialogue replaced. It's a nice way to keep up with Ultimates, without suffering Jeph Loeb's writing.

Here's an edited version of the sequence Bale was talking about. Use your imagination.

Because I don't think it's been mentioned in here yet, Gavok and ManicClown are back at it again with the Ultimate Edit of Ultimatum, sure to be just as chock full of wreslting and santa Thor and whatnot as Ultiamtes 3.

Schide on
  • TheidarTheidar Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Schide wrote: »

If you haven't already, I suggest you read 4th Letter's Ultimate Edit series, an edited version of Ultimates 3, with all the dialogue replaced. It's a nice way to keep up with Ultimates, without suffering Jeph Loeb's writing.

Here's an edited version of the sequence Bale was talking about. Use your imagination.

Because I don't think it's been mentioned in here yet, Gavok and ManicClown are back at it again with the Ultimate Edit of Ultimatum, sure to be just as chock full of wreslting and santa Thor and whatnot as Ultiamtes 3.

Oh my god, did they make a Final Fantasy Tactics reference in the Ultimate 3 Edit?

Theidar on
    Gamertag: Theidar
    Wii Friend Code: 0072 4984 2399 2126
    PSN ID : Theidar
    Facebook
    Behold the annhilation of the extraterrestrial and the rise of the machines.
    Hail Satan!
    WISHLIST
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Why was Dazzler one of the alternate covers?

Mai-Kero on
  • McClyMcCly Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Theidar wrote: »

Oh my god, did they make a Final Fantasy Tactics reference in the Ultimate 3 Edit?

AHAHAHA "Let's ask Bendis!" These are great.

McCly on
    kbellchewiesig.jpg
    edited November 2008
    arcath wrote: »
    Wasn't the whole point of this to reset the ultimate universe though?

I remember reading somewhere that the only book guaranteed to survive was USM.

So far, I really enjoyed the first book.

Ultimate X-Men and Ultimate Fantastic Four have already been confirmed as ending.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2008
    Which, sadly, is probably for the best. Both of those took major nose-dives after the initial runs, UFF especially.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
    edited November 2008
    I really liked Carey's UFF :(

UXM has been terrible for awhile though

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    uxm turned into the 90's

but with more dazzler

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited November 2008
    but Ultimate Dazzler sucks

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    yes she does

she's probably never even beaten Enchantress!

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited November 2008
    or Dr. Doom (with the help of Hank McCoy)

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2008
    Ultimate Dazzler wishes she could get in on some of this action

Beauty_And_The_Beast_2.jpg

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So Beast
    is dead again?

Gabriel_Pitt on
    edited November 2008
    it appears that way

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I like UFF but UXM needs to be put out of its misery.

Scooter on
    edited November 2008
    UFF stayed better than UXM for a while, but the last run it's had, with the Salem Seven and all? Probably one of the worst things in terms of both writing and art I've seen in a while.

Which is annoying, since it did start off strong. I loved the meeting with Annhilus where Reed was just like "first contact with aliens, let's stay civil this is a momentous occasion" and Ben's all "his name is death-man."

durandal4532 on
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Ultimate FF started out really fucking awesome and stayed decent until the hydra arc.

Mai-Kero on
  • psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Nicely done, Marvel.

I guess it depends on whether or not Peter's home and school or the Daily Bugle were destroyed. I mean, Spider-Man might be living in a FEMA trailer from now on.
    Its okay Ultimate Spiderman will make a deal with satan to get his house back 8-)

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Dareth RamDareth Ram regular
    edited November 2008
    regardless of any changes in setting in Ultimate New York, Bendis would still be able to write it good.

Dareth Ram on
    edited November 2008
    New York gets blown up every 2 months, no one would notice if it was normal again after this arc.

Scooter on
  • LynxLynx Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Mai-Kero wrote: »
    Ultimate FF started out really fucking awesome and stayed decent until the hydra arc.

Eh, I dunno. I thought it started taking a dive in quality after Millar left. I mean, some of Carey's stuff was alright, but it all just sort of fell flat.

UXM has been terrible since Vaughan left. Which is a damn shame because Millar and Vaughan's run's were fantastic, and Bendis' run was fairly decent as well.

I just. . .don't get it. How did the editors let it get this bad? Only USM has really been spared and that's only because Bendis has been on it from the beginning.

Lynx on
    edited November 2008
    I think the UXM writer(s?) were under the impression that the more extreme, unexpected, and complicated a storyline was, the more Ultimate it was.

Which is the exact damn opposite of the point, Ultimate is supposed to be a cleaner continuity than 616. I have an easier time keeping track of 616's current team members than I do UXM's.

Scooter on
    edited November 2008
    Yeah, I imagine that being outside the mainstream continuity gave writers more freedom.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Marvel Adventures is a better Ultimates than Ultimates.

Synthetic Orange on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    McCly wrote: »
    Theidar wrote: »

AHAHAHA "Let's ask Bendis!" These are great.
    Kudos for the 90s Spider-Man cartoon lyrics in that runaway narration box, too.

Edit: ahahaha, "I'm not the Sentry!".

Wildcat on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Wait, if Kong is dating Kitty, why was he sitting next to Gwen?

Fencingsax on
    edited November 2008
    Oh man, Kong is dating Kitty? Quick, someone tell Loeb!

Seriously though, Loeb has never read Ultimate Spider-Man.

durandal4532 on
    edited November 2008
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Wait, if Kong is dating Kitty, why was he sitting next to Gwen?

I mentioned this already! That did bug me a little. Also the fact that Kitty calls him "Kong" since she never calls him that in USM. She calls him Kenny.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]