As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Matt Fraction

Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
edited January 2007 in Graphic Violence
So, based on Punisher War Journal, I've decided that this dude is awesome.

What else has he written? I've heard of Five Fists of Science, but haven't seen it in any stores. Any idea where I could pick it up?

Mai-Kero on

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited January 2007
    He's also co-writing Iron Fist with Ed Brubaker.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    IrohIroh Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    If you aren't reading Immortal Iron Fist, you lose. Hard.

Iroh on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Adaemus1sfAdaemus1sf Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Fraction's writing Casanova over at Image, in the same format as Fell. It's supposed to be a great spy book.

Adaemus1sf on
  • Options
    hughtronhughtron __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    Casanova was the best comic of 2006. It was stylish, clever, interesting and it did it all in six, done-in-one, sixteen page comics. Fraction manages to out-Morrison Grant Morrison, and it's maybe the best pop comic published in the last ten years.

Five Fists of Science is really great too. Nicola Telsa as a giant robot piloting science-hero, teaming up with Mark Twain to end war forever and stop J.P. Morgan and Thomas Edison from summoning a giant Lovecraftian monster to devour mankind.

Iron Fist is old school kung fu in the Mighty Marvel Manner and, next to Runaways and Criminal, maybe the best book Marvel is publishing right now.

Punisher is not my cup of tea, but those who like, seem to like it a lot.

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I forgot he was writing Iron Fist, but I am reading it. It is awesome. "Hello I am danny rand and I know kung-fu."

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I don't care for his Punisher, but since he is a part of Iron Fist he is ok in my book.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    BruanBruan Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    So. Is there a trade for casanova out yet?

what's it about anyhow?

Bruan on
    Playstation: Anthai (Destiny)
    WiiU: jooncole (Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate)
    3DS: 2122-5983-8919
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Bruan wrote:
    So. Is there a trade for casanova out yet?

what's it about anyhow?
    Amazon says the first trade comes out March 25. I've not read any of it yet, but it's apparently about spies? It's been pretty highly reviewed by everyone I've seen talk about it.

Adaemus1sf on
  • Options
    hughtronhughtron __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    Casanova is kind of like a comic book written from the perspective of HYDRA.

It's about rogue spy agencies, double agents, kung-fu escape artist Buddhas, secret societies of super Kirby-tech cavemen, double crosses, heists, robots, and being awesome. Every issue has about a thousand mad ideas in it, and they're only sixteen pages long. The art is keen gear, all black and white and green. Plus every issue is a self-contained story about Cass being way rad and stealing something or killing someone or doing something neat.

Here's the entire first issue, courtesy of Newsarama.

The final issue of the first "story" arc comes out on Valentine's Day, and the first trade shortly after that. I highly recommend picking up the singles though, as they are both A)cheap and B)full of behind the scenes awesome that Fraction has said won't be in the trade. Really, the backmatter in each issue of Casanova is worth the price of the book alone. A really neat insight into how the author goes about writing his stories and getting his ideas.

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    And holy shit, how could I have gone this long in a Matt Fraction thread without mentioning Mantooth, about a secret agent gorilla nominated for a Nobel Prize in the field of hard fucking.
    It took a while, but Amazon sent me a copy of the annotated Mantooth, in which Fraction recommends the biography of Isaac Asimov and Bruce Lee's May-December romance, The Three Laws of Love: Enter the Dragon... And the Robot.
    It's pretty great.

Adaemus1sf on