As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MotW 11/5/2008 - Fraction, always Fraction

• BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    It's not dopey at all, you guys are dumb

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Faynor wrote: »
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Yeah, the idea that Reed wouldn't do a super huge background check on the person taking care of his kids is super-silly. That's not to say that his FF isn't good, it's just not great. Of course, I don't really love anything Millar's written, although some stuff isn't terrible, like FF.

With the "reveal" as to who it is, I think it's pretty safe to say she would know how to falsify such a thing, or how to fool whoever was doing the background check...
    Which was presumably Sue, so I think she'd know how to fool herself.
    ... How? She's not smarter than Reed, and he would sure as hell do his own work. This whole "The Earth will be used up thing" is fucking ridiculous, and really pulls a lot that could be good out of the book.

Fencingsax on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Yeah, the idea that Reed wouldn't do a super huge background check on the person taking care of his kids is super-silly. That's not to say that his FF isn't good, it's just not great. Of course, I don't really love anything Millar's written, although some stuff isn't terrible, like FF.

With the "reveal" as to who it is, I think it's pretty safe to say she would know how to falsify such a thing, or how to fool whoever was doing the background check...
    ... How? She's not smarter than Reed, and he would sure as hell do his own work. This whole "The Earth will be used up thing" is fucking ridiculous, and really pulls a lot that could be good out of the book.

I thought she was smarter than Reed.

Robos A Go Go on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008

I thought she was smarter than Reed.
    ....She never even finished college. This is 616, not Ultimate.

Fencingsax on
    edited November 2008

Wait, I'm confused.
    I thought she was revealed to be a grown-up Valeria, not old Susan.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited November 2008

Wait, I'm confused
    I thought she was revealed to be a grown-up Valeria, not old Susan.
    No. The reveal was she is
    old Sue

Fencingsax on
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Sue's not exactly a retard. I still say it's conceivable.

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
    edited November 2008
    How exactly would she affect a blood sample?

Fencingsax on
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    How exactly would she affect a blood sample?
    They're handling technology 500 years down the line along with smart Banner?

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »
    Uh it's not out of continuity at all, especially since both the fake earth and Reed's ex have played parts in the current arc.

I mean out of continuity in the sense that, like Nightcrawler's real dad, people (writers and readers) are probably going to ignore it starting the day after it hit shelves.

Scooter on
    edited November 2008
    Scooter wrote: »
    Uh it's not out of continuity at all, especially since both the fake earth and Reed's ex have played parts in the current arc.

I mean out of continuity in the sense that, like Nightcrawler's real dad, people (writers and readers) are probably going to ignore it starting the day after it hit shelves.
    Also, it's never going to be referenced anywhere else, ever.

Fencingsax on
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Also, it's never going to be referenced anywhere else, ever.

Flash got his powers from a genie, right?

Yeah though, that was my major problem with the start of the arc, I don't know if it got better. It just felt like nothing in it was ever going to be absorbed into the continuity because there was no smooth transition. It was just "bam! Reed has always had an old flame who is a romantic rival for Sue and also earth is being evacuated".

It did not help that the story was pretty silly, either.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
    edited November 2008
    Your complaints are silly

"oh not they are introducing a new character, this means it will be completley out of continuity!"

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I just read the Joker HC. That was actually pretty sweet. All of those versions of the characters would actually work pretty well in the movie, I think.

Mai-Kero on
    edited November 2008

"oh not they are introducing a new character, this means it will be completley out of continuity!"

It's not the character that gets me, it's that apparently there's a company (research group? whatever) that has the capacity to build entire planets and robots that can kill every single superhuman in seconds, and they've never been mentioned before at all. You could put Shield, Sword, Stark, Reed, Forge, and all the alien tech on Earth together, and they still couldn't build that kinda shit. The Skrulls have trouble putting together forces to kill even unpowered superheroes.

Basically there's no way such a group can really exist in normal Marvel continuity without being ridiculous.

Scooter on
    edited November 2008

It's not the character that gets me, it's that apparently there's a company (research group? whatever) that has the capacity to build entire planets and robots that can kill every single superhuman in seconds, and they've never been mentioned before at all. You could put Shield, Sword, Stark, Reed, Forge, and all the alien tech on Earth together, and they still couldn't build that kinda shit. The Skrulls have trouble putting together forces to kill even unpowered superheroes.

Basically there's no way such a group can really exist in normal Marvel continuity without being ridiculous.

the group behind the 2nd earth and why it needed to built is part of an ongoing storyline in Millar's run

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2008

the group behind the 2nd earth and why it needed to built is part of an ongoing storyline in Millar's run
    No, he's saying that a group smarter than Reed, Doom, Stark et al is ridiculous in the context of the Marvel U, because we would know about them. Or if we didn't Reed, Doom, Stark et al certainly would

Fencingsax on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    no they wouldn't because they outsmarted reed, tony, doom

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    wait. what in the hell is millar doing in ff?

DouglasDanger on
    edited November 2008
    awesome things

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2008
    wait. what in the hell is millar doing in ff?
    They retconned in (or dredged up a really obscure character I don't know about) an old ex-girlfriend of Reed who's almost as smart as him. Turns out she's working for a company who believes the Earth is a few decades away from total environmental meltdown, so they're building a whole new Earth. Inside a pocket dimension or something, I forget. On this new Earth they had a robot named CAP who was designed to detect and destroy all weapons, starting with nukes and working down to sticks and rocks. He shortcircuited or something and went nuts on real Earth, and managed to beat up the combined forces of both Avengers teams and the FF and maybe some others (I forget if the X-Men showed up) in about a minute. He was beat up when it was suddenly revealed that Reed had a gigantic Galactus-buster armor suit that he'd apparently been hiding in the basement.

Right now the last surviving heroes from 500 years in the future are trying to bring the entire population back in time to a habitable world, presumably they're gonna end up on the new Earth.

Scooter on
  • ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    downsgirl.jpg
    I'm sorry, I had to.

ManonvonSuperock on
    edited November 2008
    At first I was paying too much attention to the text, and then the face hit me.

Scooter on
  • FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Is that Kirby art there?

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
    edited November 2008
    Kirby was probably drunk at the time.

Robos A Go Go on
  • FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I love the guy, but his facial expressions were not always the best.

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    That era should be Kirby with Sinnot inks, but that face looks like Kirby inked by Colletta.

Vince Colletta fucked up a whole lot of Kirby art - if he didn't want to ink certain parts, he's erase them. Whole figures would just disappear.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    Oh cry more just because he completely fucked up Kirby art
    Although how you can pick out inkers is beyond me

Me Too! on
    edited November 2008
    Me Too! wrote: »
    Oh cry more just because he completely fucked up Kirby art
    Although how you can pick out inkers is beyond me

because different inkers look different

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Vince Colletta fucked up a whole lot of Kirby art - if he didn't want to ink certain parts, he's erase them. Whole figures would just disappear.

I find this interesting, could you point me toward more in-depth info?

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Mai-Kero wrote: »
    I just read the Joker HC. That was actually pretty sweet. All of those versions of the characters would actually work pretty well in the movie, I think.

I thought the same thing. Though it took me a second to figure out the Riddler.
    I thought he was just standing funny in the first panel...:|

Croc was dead on what I'd like to see in a movie. A big, scaly, malformed bruiser.

Mr Pink on
    edited November 2008
    It took until after I finished reading it before I remembered that Johnny Frost wasn't Joe Chill. I think they named him to confuse me on purpose. :o

Penguin was a disappointing pussy, but hey...stripper Harley. Can't say no to that.

Scooter on
    edited November 2008

I find this interesting, could you point me toward more in-depth info?

Unfortunately, lots of the information (including side-by-side comparisons) is found off-line, in books like JACK KIRBY COLLECTOR. I'll try to post some examples tomorrow. Here's an example of what most artists of the time have to say about his work, though:
    My dick can ink better than Vince Colletta. What will be interesting will be seeing which of the new young guys inks better than the other new young guy. I guarantee they’ll all ink better than the infamous one.

Tips on how to ink better than Vince Colletta:

1.Dip your pen or brush in ink.
    2. Find a line.
    3. Cover line with ink.

Presto! You’re a better inker than Vince Colletta. It’s that simple.

Good luck one and all.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited November 2008
    Here's an example I found online - can you spot the differences between the inked and un-inked panels?

2dkhjzo.jpg

And Colleta did this to other people's are all the time.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    (he took out one whole person, for crying out loud)

DouglasDanger on
  • manjimanji Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    second issue of marvel zombies 3 was still leagues better than marvel zombies 2, however i didn't think the second issue held up as well as the first. the problem for me seems to be writers taking what ellis did with machine mans character and reconciling that into the regular 616 universe. the references to beer drinking and fleshy ones seem shoehorned in somewhat...

also, ghost rider
    eastern ghost rider and his thousand buddha stare! surely room for an IIF crossover there...

manji on
  • VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Manji, he's already been depicted like that in Ms Marvel (and it was glorious). So it's pretty much established at this point that that's how Machine Man acts in 616.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • manjimanji Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    was ms marvel before or after nextwave? i presume after. i'll have to give it a look if its up to the same standard. my point was more that it just seemed a little forced in MZ3...

this week i mostly put money into dan abnetts account, buying authority (which i'm still undecided over) as well as the first durham red trade and the warhammer condemned by fire trade, both of which i've yet to read.

manji on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Ms MArvel was indeed after NextWAVE.

Wildcat on
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Presumably, it's now canon that after being told he was "utter shit, a complete fuck" by the Celestials, Machine Man came back to Earth with a brand new 'tude.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
This discussion has been closed.