As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Is there something wrong with my transmission? *Update*

QuarterMasterQuarterMaster Registered User regular
edited November 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
Details:

1993 Saturn SL2
~120k miles

Recently, I've been noticing that it's really hard to put my car in gear. First and fifth seem to be alright, but 2nd, 3rd, and 4th all require quite a bit more pressure than they have in the past. I don't know if temperature has anything to do with it..I live in the Pacific Northwest, so it's 50's and rainy most of the time now. I just checked my clutch fluid and it's definitely low and dirty, so I'm going to take it in and have it flushed. I'll ask them about the tranny as well, but I thought I'd ask around here too. Thanks for any ideas! Hopefully I don't have to replace it... D:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
QuarterMaster on

• Options
    CrashtardCrashtard Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Having the fluid changed/flushed will probably make a big difference. On the flip side, letting it get particularly low and dirty could have, at this point, already started the transmission ball rolling. Hopefully not.

Crashtard on
    I pinky swear that we will not screw you.

Crashtard.jpg
  • Options
    fuelishfuelish Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    A fluid swap(of the transmission) might help and it will not hurt. I have had good results changing tranny fluid in manuals and automatics.
    However.
    The synchros for 2nd, 3rd, and 4th always get more abuse than 1st and 5th because they are shifted in to, under load, far more often.

fuelish on
    Another day in the bike shop Pretty much what it sounds like. The secret lifestyle, laid open.
  • Options
    AurinAurin Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Generally it's better to just have the fluid changed, not flushed. If I remember right they use a detergent with that... so be careful there.

Aurin on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    If you just have to press harder to shift gears, it reads like the clutch is at fault. If this is still your first clutch, it's served you more than admirably and a new one is probably needed.
    If you get a large thunk sound when shifting that's the transmission.
    Best thing to do first is what is mentioned and do a flush.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    Zombie NirvanaZombie Nirvana Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Sounds like your clutch is going out.

Zombie Nirvana on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    TexiKen wrote: »
    If you just have to press harder to shift gears, it reads like the clutch is at fault. If this is still your first clutch, it's served you more than admirably and a new one is probably needed.
    If you get a large thunk sound when shifting that's the transmission.
    Best thing to do first is what is mentioned and do a flush.

Yeah, it is just having to push it harder. I haven't heard any noise yet, so that's good at least. I believe it is the first clutch..although I'm not entirely sure, since I'm not the original owner. Hopefully the flush will fix it, but if not, I'll get a quote on a clutch replacement. Depending on how much it is, it might not be worth it..I only payed $900 for the car. :P

Thanks for the advice so far everyone! I'm going to call on Monday and make an appointment...

QuarterMaster on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Sorry to bump up an old thread, but I've got some updates/more questions.

I just got it back from the shop, and it turns out that I need to replace my master/slave cylinders. Along with some various other repairs (new fluids, coolant thermometer, windshield, etc.) I'm looking at $700+. Right now I'm thinking it's not really worth the money, since I'm probably not going to get too many more miles out of it even with everything replaced.

I'm looking at several different cars on Craigslist right now, especially a '94 Civic that only has 100k on it and has been well taken care of for $1800. So, my questions are a) whether this sounds like a good idea or not, b) if so, what would be the best way to go about selling my Saturn, and c) what kind of used cars I should be looking for.

Thanks again!

QuarterMaster on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]