As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

get your fresh, hot steaming piles of [CHAT]

• Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Yes to Green and Cakemikz alike. There is faff and tosh in either category. It's past midnight so I'm not going to elaborate, except to say you're both right.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I think that an empty acrylic CD case is beautiful, a lot of skill, effort and research went into creating it. Is that less art than anything done by Rembrandt? No way! Does it deserve to be in a museum? Hell no! To me, art is functional, that is it has a purpose and works within a certain context. If you take it out of that context it suddenly becomes meaningless.

I think this is the issue a lot of people have with art, they want to fit it to the classical definition of the term and force it to work in that context. Marcel DuChamp's toilet fountain was awesome when it first came out because it served it's purpose, if you tried to pull that today it would probably fail....

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    LoomdunLoomdun Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The saddest part about what everyone here is saying about art, is also the fact that to become a "artist" automatically relates you with anime. I have personally have not had experience with teachers that don't know how to draw fortunately. But I do agree on cakes opinion on art, at the same time I do understand the fact that you need to be imaginitive and execute a idea whether this idea has to be abstract or not.

What annoys me more is I see many people who cant really even make art and do art for the "image" of being a artist rather then what art really is. It's one of the popular careers for very young people same as video game designing and ect. If art was unattractive to people as science and math can be unless you actually enjoy to do it yourself then it probably would not be as unstable as it is today.

So I personally would say that my own definition of art is truly finding determination for it and sifting through the murky muck that pollutes it. Actually discovering the intellectual half of art that gives something which can be "chaotic" still interesting and well thought out. Because it does have its potential but it's clinged to as much if not more then making video games and cartoons for youngggggg people.

It's overkilled in popularity and just like anything. Something that attracts large amounts of people brings alot of crap. You can't avoid it and this will always be a issue for art.

Edit: and also learning to control your skills once learned to positively influence what you are working for.

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    While I disagree on the scope of the word with Cake, I think he'd dead on about how it's taught- of course this is only having seen two university art schools.

If I were to agree with Cake on the scope, I couldn't include Theo Jansen as an artist, and as a personal definition, that does not fly.

Tam on
  • Options
    srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    NEWS FLASH

I'm awake, and still kinda hungry. And that all was way uber tl;dr.

MORE ON THIS AS IT DEVELOPS

IN OTHER NEWS

My best friend whom I've had romantic inclinations toward for 8 years and whom I admitted this to in December and subsequently had a ridiculous 6 months of on-and-off being best friends and talking and arguing all the time and then went to a writing program and then college and he's been a total douche since July just kind of said that we should be in a relationship and I don't even know if I like him anymore as a friend and am pretty pessimistic that it'll work out but as my aunt said I don't really have a good reason to say no except for the fact that he's pretty much making it out to be like he only wants to do this because it's been eating at his conscience for months and he'd rather not do it so it's like really uncomfortable in that way and I don't really trust him anymore oh and his family hates my guts and once they found out would never want to see me in their houses again which would suck because he's my rich friend too and that's where all my friends go to party during winter break so I really am not sure what I'm supposed to do I guess it will suck no matter what.

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
  • Options
    rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Grenn wrote: »
    In my opinion, art is simply the deliberate arrangement of elements (visual or otherwise) in order to communicate an idea or achieve a purpose.

That is a pretty standard conceptual definition of art. The problem with it is that it makes parking my car in my driveway art.

rts on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    cakemikz wrote: »
    In my opinion, art is simply the deliberate arrangement of elements (visual or otherwise) in order to communicate an idea or achieve a purpose.

That is a pretty standard conceptual definition of art. The problem with it is that it makes parking my car in my driveway art.

pretty shitty art, yeah but I guess you'd have to include it.

Tam on
  • Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited November 2008
    Tam wrote: »

Hey as long you can put an artist's statement next to it, it's art.

That's why I don't do laundry anymore, I just throw my hamper in a gallery with a couple paragraphs explaining how this dirty laundry represents blah blah blah and with the sale proceeds I just go buy new clothes.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Bacon you make the world go round

Tam on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

That's why I don't do laundry anymore, I just throw my hamper in a gallery with a couple paragraphs explaining how this dirty laundry represents blah blah blah and with the sale proceeds I just go buy new clothes.

It's the perfect plan.

Also, in other news, I just smashed my 24" lcd screen with my car door.

rts on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

It's the perfect plan.

I think the bigger issue is that you drove your car into the room where your computer is.

Tam on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Yeah this sucks, I don't know if it will work as I can't test it at the moment...but I am going to start looking at new ones already because I don't like this giant mark in the middle of the screen.

rts on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Perfect, a piece representing the older society lashing out against the newer generations; while the car used to be the dominant mode of transporting goods and services, connecting one person to another, the internet now has taken over- with the older generation not being able to acclimate to this new 'networked' world, the barriers that the technology represent create anxiety and backlash towards the newer generation.

Now pad that out with a few more paragraphs and throw a couple zeitgeists in there, nail that shit on some gallery wall and bam [strike]you got yourself a stew goin'[/strike] you've made enough money to buy a new monitor.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I can't believe this man gets away with doing the same painting over and over and over.

http://leonidafremov.deviantart.com/

Tam on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Wearing black makeup and nail polish, being as messy as possible and late to all classes, and carrying a frapachino in a elevator? Is what everyone should do. Because its very artistically expressive then.

Edit: Seriously I had to re-type that and dumb it down because I cant even bare type what I want to.

Btw he misspelled a painting. When the city sleps?... Starting bid ONE DOLLAH

Edit again: I feel like a hypocrite when saying I cringe at reading what bacon just said mainly because thats what my grammar does fairly well. And that sums up how much time and effort some of this art that sells for alot gets put into.

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2008
    Wait, I'm alittle caught up? Dude, Cake, where the hell did you go to school? I spent my whole freshman year drawing from life and the figure in foundation, then had another life drawing course sophomore year. I know who Willam Bouguereau is and spent just as much time on french and Italian painters as I did Bauhas and modern painters. I had a teacher who would fail our projects based on craft alone, so help us god if we did not cut an edge strait or a string of hot glue was showing.

we have an entire course where you work with the Walters museum and study the restoration of painting wile you learn how to use egg tempera and fresco and shit (I'd be goddamn if I ever took that.)

I mean, I have a very limited appreciation for instillation art myself, but that doesn't damn the whole art world and every institution to hell.

Iruka on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I would rather not talk about it.

But that deviant art link got me thinking about my old deviant art page...you guys should totally check out this gem: http://cakemikz.deviantart.com/art/Shading-Exercise-1-1380033

rts on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    My university art program (University of Michigan) was pretty much what Cake described, and I doubt that sort of situation is rare among universities. Where else would I have learned how to be such a worthless, shameless scumbag?

Among colleges that are designed to teach nothing except art, the quality is probably a bit better generally (though there are those Art Institutes which I've heard are an obscene waste of money).

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I'm having a grand ol' time in orange coast. The teachers are fairly well educated in art. my human anatomy does superbly realistic oil paintings which I thought where halarious she was making fun of how people portray women in art. So basically she was sitting next to a neanderthal that was eating a shirt trying to give that "majestic" look to the girl next to it such as many paintings try for women it was really funny. Or there was a guinea pig in one.

What was the university of Michigan like though, where the art teachers just like "ummmmmmmmm sooo this is uh, how you draw, a circleeee" or was it just the teachers told you to draw stuff then spaced out because they couldn't actually give advice and basically become the equivalence of studying on your own.

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    OllieOllie Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I can't believe this man gets away with doing the same painting over and over and over.

So what's the difference between style and just being repetitive?

Ollie on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I am spoilering this because it's an angry rant with run-on sentences and very little punctuation and I don't care because well Loomdun you asked and I'm stealing your schtick.
    Well, it depended on the teachers, but-
    many classes were taught by idiots straight out of grad school that didn't know how the fuck to teach anything of value ("Get out all your drawing utensils, we're going to spend the next 3 hours making marks to the music and be sure to make sure it doesn't end up looking like anything", FUCK YOU), there were teachers that were installed and should have known shit because they were old but that was a facade (life drawing teacher who'd never studies anatomy before, all of his insight had to do with how you hold the charcoal), and the actual competent teachers who were ok, but had too many people to try to teach (I couldn't get into an illustration class because every semester there were 90 people trying to get into 20 seats...administration solution? Do away with the class and replace it with nothing), too little time in which to teach it, with students that were too full of themselves to actually bothering trying to improve their skills, and even though the teachers plainly wished that they could tell those students to get the fuck out of there they couldn't because the administration, who wanted to get rid of the competent people anyway, would raise a shit because they didn't want anyone to fail out because art students paid more tuition than the normal students but they had to expend less resources on actually educating them. Also the year after mine the administration decided the best thing to do was make everyone take twice as many classes and those classes be half as long to make sure that if by some freak chance somebody started to learn something, they'd be cut off and sent off to do something else before they could actually really nail it down and absorb it. On top of that whole clusterfuck, because it was a university it means you have to take a bunch of worthless university classes...art students have less graduation prereqs than most, so hypothetically it wouldn't be a big deal, except there were so many goddamn students they crammed in it was impossible to get into any of the fucking art classes, and you have to fucking take something if you want to still be considered a full time student, so you end up taking bullshit like Musicology 101 or in my case Japanese because it had the most credits, not that I could give a flying fuck. End result is you pay more, waste a lot more time (I had to spend 4.5 years instead of 4; had I just taken art classes I could have done it in about a year and a half), and to top it all off you don't learn shit and you don't walk out with a portfolio that means half a damn.

SO YEAH I AM SORT OF UPSET

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Ollie wrote: »

those aren't really all the same...but the color scheme is kind of annoying.

it's not really progressive to just do the same sort of thing over and over is what I'm assuming tam is saying.

NEWS FLASH

No longer hungry, but this may change in the coming hours.

WE'LL COME BACK TO THIS STORY AS IT DEVELOPS

IN OTHER NEWS

I still don't know what I'm going to do about this really weird situation I'm in.

BREAKING COVERAGE

Art is art!

It's like...this discussion of art is so exhausted and has happened millions of times. I've given up caring what people do with their lives and say about their work.

I wish I had really serious art classes here. Huh, I heard my school has an affiliation with Julliard though. They'd have good art classes, right? And writing...I should look into that.

OH MY GOD LOOK AT ALL THOSE LINE BREAKS WHAT A MANIAC

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    oh mah gawd. If I was in your situation I would have moved far far away from that place and gone to somewhere else with better art education. In occ you can re-take Life drawing courses 4 times and Painting course 4 times along with a three story structure where you can freely travel in and practice art on your free time and gain help from the professors who actually do and understand art. Our newest professor to teaching is still amazing just because she is so in depth with detail as it is.

There is only one reasonable solution. I must build a time machine, get a crazy white wig go to the michigan university in year 2001. And be like "Your past is completely screwed up! You wont be born unless we correct it now! Come with me BACK TO THE FUTURE". Then.... I got nothing else.

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    edited November 2008

I'd say styles tend to grow and develop, and being repetitive tends to not have any flexibility or show fluidity when the artist tackles new subject matter or media.

And, I'm sad for your painful art program experience. I vouch for mica, though, and not just because Im shoving tons of money in their face.

Iruka on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Mica was actually on my list of colleges to look more into when I did graduate highschool. But i'll gain a broader knowledge of colleges to select from once I go to portfolio day on June 18th. Whats Mica like anyways? Are the professors knowledgeable what would be the best way to contact them and perhaps enquireeee on a scholarship.

Fortunately I have a very good public college for art so I have 2 years to freely study art and research on the best possible college for me to transfer to. I intend to travel if I have tooo

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    edited November 2008

He paints a handful of subjects in his art style. How many times is this man going to paint people walking down a road or a few buildings in the same color scheme? Hell, I like his style, I just wish he'd broaden his subject matter, because it gets old looking at another wet street at night.

There's choice few portraits in there in there amid a sea of sameness, I'll admit.

Tam on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Loomdun wrote: »
    oh mah gawd. If I was in your situation I would have moved far far away from that place and gone to somewhere else with better art education. In occ you can re-take Life drawing courses 4 times and Painting course 4 times along with a three story structure where you can freely travel in and practice art on your free time and gain help from the professors who actually do and understand art. Our newest professor to teaching is still amazing just because she is so in depth with detail as it is.

There is only one reasonable solution. I must build a time machine, get a crazy white wig go to the michigan university in year 2001. And be like "Your past is completely screwed up! You wont be born unless we correct it now! Come with me BACK TO THE FUTURE". Then.... I got nothing else.

I tried transferring out to AAU in San Fran in sophomore year, but all I got from the rents was "Well why don't you finish at U of M and then maybe do grad school later" which is the secret parent code for 'We are not going to pay a single cent we don't have to in order to support your training for a career that if we were being honest we don't think you can actually get a job doing'. In hindsight maybe I should have just taken the high road and started blowing dudes in alleyways to pay for better art education, but I guess there's no going back.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Eh Bacon, you are are doing pretty well with what you have got I have to say. I do not doubt your ability to succeed in the field of art if you have not already.

I still think you should check out my school though.

rts on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Well if you wana look at it in a positive way. Atleast you don't have aids, my family was strongly against me doing art to when I first began. And by strongly against I mean they didn't want me to do it at all and tried to discourage me to no end along with what was going on at my high school. Which generally filled my own burning hatred for everything gaining a never ending lust to devote my studies only to art to shut everyone the hell up. I basically figured that when I was a senior in highschool my preferences where towards art and if anything tried to stop me I would work around any obstacle rather then try to adjust for it. Thats how it goesss today for me to I'm just a wheee little ol' baby

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Mica was actually on my list of colleges to look more into when I did graduate highschool. But i'll gain a broader knowledge of colleges to select from once I go to portfolio day on June 18th. Whats Mica like anyways? Are the professors knowledgeable what would be the best way to contact them and perhaps enquireeee on a scholarship.

Fortunately I have a very good public college for art so I have 2 years to freely study art and research on the best possible college for me to transfer to.

What do you plan on studying?

Mica is a great school in a horrible city, so there are some things to keep in mind. If you are generally a busy body and are going to want to get out, you need a car. I dont know much about the transfer process, but I do know that its a pain in the ass to get credit for some courses that you took previously.

The programs themselves have their own individual problems, Illustration is overcrowded, animation doesnt get enough money, and blah blah. Normal college issues that shift and will never go away. Overall we have alot of quality teachers, and alot of quality connections. If you use your time here to the fullest extent, you can do alot of cool things. It does require work, you have to talk to people and explore your options.

I highly suggest a visit, if its a college on your list.

Iruka on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I would love to take a visit to Mica, although it would take alot of arranging since yah know, I live in california, and mica is in maryland or what not. I intend to become more of a fine artist rather then a illustrator there practically the same thing though. I am a busy little bumblebee right now with all of my current studies on art, but if the portfolio day thing does not give me a broad enough understanding then I will start visiting all the colleges somehow. I'll just need to plan how to on my growing check list of colleges to visit.

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Eh Bacon, you are are doing pretty well with what you have got I have to say. I do not doubt your ability to succeed in the field of art if you have not already.

Thanks man; I have managed to briefly cling to the low-end of the totem pole of video game art jobs so far, but I still can't shake the feeling if I had been able to go somewhere not quite so hellbent on wasting my motherfucking time, I'd be so much better than I am now, and so much further along in my career, and whenever I think about it just argarghrahrhgrahrgarhghagh.

I definitely want to check out Watts, yeah...if just to visit to restore my faith in humanity, to see with my own eyes art teachers that actually care to teach art.

THINKING BACK TO COLLEGE JUST MAKES ME SO FUCKING ANGRY, I'M SORRY

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Welllllllllll you are already really good bacon. Although to be perfectly honest you would probably have been better if you had been at a better place rather then a time waster its just obvious no matter how good someone is good teachers will always improve you if you listen to them.

Except you cant realllly change that. But your plenty of young-ness in you as long as you avoid them thar traps in life and dont get a women pregnant you'll be able to freeeeely train more in art because its neverrrr to late yay.

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I would love to take a visit to Mica, although it would take alot of arranging since yah know, I live in california, and mica is in maryland or what not. I intend to become more of a fine artist rather then a illustrator there practically the same thing though. I am a busy little bumblebee right now with all of my current studies on art, but if the portfolio day thing does not give me a broad enough understanding then I will start visiting all the colleges somehow. I'll just need to plan how to on my growing check list of colleges to visit.

Yeah, Mica is in mayland, Specifically in baltimore. Baltimore is awful. Maryland is awesome. and So is DC which you will be fairly close to. But Baltimore is gross. We do have a pretty well known GFA (general fine arts) Program, but you need to be driven because those classes are alot less structured.

Iruka on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    well.. I'm driven but I cant drive a car. Literally. Sooooo I would have to figure out a alternative.

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Thanks man; I have managed to briefly cling to the low-end of the totem pole of video game art jobs so far, but I still can't shake the feeling if I had been able to go somewhere not quite so hellbent on wasting my motherfucking time, I'd be so much better than I am now, and so much further along in my career, and whenever I think about it just argarghrahrhgrahrgarhghagh.

I definitely want to check out Watts, yeah...if just to visit to restore my faith in humanity, to see with my own eyes art teachers that actually care to teach art.

THINKING BACK TO COLLEGE JUST MAKES ME SO FUCKING ANGRY, I'M SORRY

Man, Bacon, your rendering kicks ass and you're broadening your horizons with 3D and animation (that little spinny robot was oodles of cool) so I know you can make it. The only thing is that your drawing isn't up to the quality of our other skills. And if you're looking into Watts, that shouldn't be a problem for much longer.

Seriously homes, you gots hella talent and you work hard at it, so you don't have much to worry about. I empathize with with the regrets of the past though.

Tam on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    well.. I'm driven but I cant drive a car. Literally. Sooooo I would have to figure out a alternative.

Surely. If mica ever becomes a higher possibility for you, feel free to PM me and I'll try and help you out with as much info as I can.

Iruka on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Good but I have plenty and plenty of time to decide so I wont be asking currently.

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    DeeLockDeeLock Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Painting is hard...I have this huge project and i've just figured out that i can't paint faces...

DeeLock on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Anything i'm saying sounds rude nevermind

Loomdun on
    splat
This discussion has been closed.