As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Left 4 Dead Thread - DEMO OUT NOW

• Options
    jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So guys...the zombies in this game are all random spawns. "Cleaning out an area" (like the little part behind the spot where you jump down into the subway) does nothing but waste time backtracking and making the director angry. Zombies can spawn anywhere out of line of sight, so even if you clear that whole room out, after you turn the corner a horde can come from there. The zombies also have an "aggro radius" (I feel dirty now) so if you don't engage them or their friends, they won't come after you. Yes, like WoW.

tl;dr: Unless you're screwing around, keep your objective in mind, and don't go of course. Killing extra zombies doesn't do any good, and they wouldn't be attacking you anyway.

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • Options
    FugaFuga Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Doesn't make any difference in demo. Most people just restart the campaign at the end so might aswell kill as many as you can.

Fuga on
  • Options
    blakeblake Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I would like to be added to this wonderful group.

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197961492002

i love this game

blake on
    What kind of bees make milk?
    Boobees!
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    subedii wrote: »
    Icemopper wrote: »
    Yeah I'm gonna join the camp that enjoys the difficulties as is. Advanced is fun for just a stroll about a zombie infested world, but Expert really makes it fun, somewhat challenging, but full of teamwork.

Sometimes it is impossible, sometimes it is easy. Just depends on how The Director is feeling that day.

I think the director let's up on the players a bit if the team gets wiped out a few times. At least that was my impression.

Once, I played through Expert alone with AI for teammates, and we didn't even see a tank or a witch. We had no problem at all.

Icemopper on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    jonxp wrote: »
    So guys...the zombies in this game are all random spawns. "Cleaning out an area" (like the little part behind the spot where you jump down into the subway) does nothing but waste time backtracking and making the director angry. Zombies can spawn anywhere out of line of sight, so even if you clear that whole room out, after you turn the corner a horde can come from there. The zombies also have an "aggro radius" (I feel dirty now) so if you don't engage them or their friends, they won't come after you. Yes, like WoW.

tl;dr: Unless you're screwing around, keep your objective in mind, and don't go of course. Killing extra zombies doesn't do any good, and they wouldn't be attacking you anyway.

Whilst this is true, running ahead too fast just gets you swamped from all sides, and you often need to take a slightly slower pace if you want to avoid getting the entire mob ahead of you swarming in at once. I've seen plenty of people try to speed through an area because they feel that the longer they wait the longer they give the director to make more trouble. It's true to an extent, but that doesn't change the fact that trying to run past everything is also a bad idea. You need to pause at some point to deal with anything ahead.

I'd say "Clearing out the area" ahead of you is unavoidable at times.

subedii on
  • Options
    davinciedavincie Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    About 2 pages ago someone said the AI could get you anywhere, this is not true! In the second map there is a little metal fence above some stairs/escalator if you stand in the corner there, there will be a trashcan to your left and the stairs to your right, now when they climb over they automatically fall in and your invulnerable for normal zombies, the tank couldn't get me either!

davincie on
    20qx2bp.jpg
  • Options
    GalagaGalaxianGalagaGalaxian Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I'll probably play through a few times on Advanced as well.

Also, turning off your flashlight is useful for more than just witches. Regular zombies react aggressively to it as well, so if you're trying to sneak through an area with minimal conflict turning your flashlights off can help.

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited November 2008
    Icemopper wrote: »
    Once, I played through Expert alone with AI for teammates, and we didn't even see a tank or a witch. We had no problem at all.

Yeah, my first three times on Expert was too damn easy and made me go "is that it?".

Then the director came back with a vengeance.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I'll probably play through a few times on Advanced as well.

Also, turning off your flashlight is useful for more than just witches. Regular zombies react aggressively to it as well, so if you're trying to sneak through an area with minimal conflict turning your flashlights off can help.

Also tip for the Witches. They don't always "suddenly" turn on you. If you're approaching one you'll see them gradually get more and more agitated. If you quickly back off and leave, they'll stop focussing on you and go back to sitting there.

Of course, if you shot the Witch, all bets are off.

subedii on
  • Options
    ExarchExarch Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    It's true to an extent, but that doesn't change the fact that trying to run past everything is also a bad idea. You need to pause at some point to deal with anything ahead.

I played with a group that decided to try and rush the subway map repeatedly. The director hates this apparently, since every time we'd get a Tank spawned on top of us in the subway cars, or just before them.

Exarch on
    No gods or kings, only man.
    LoL: BunyipAristocrat
  • Options
    jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Whilst this is true, running ahead too fast just gets you swamped from all sides, and you often need to take a slightly slower pace if you want to avoid getting the entire mob ahead of you swarming in at once. I've seen plenty of people try to speed through an area because they feel that the longer they wait the longer they give the director to make more trouble. It's true to an extent, but that doesn't change the fact that trying to run past everything is also a bad idea. You need to pause at some point to deal with anything ahead.

You're absolutely right, but that's not exactly what I was referring to. I was talking about the areas like the left hand subway tube fork, or the area behind the hole at the start of the second map. You don't need to touch those if you don't want.

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I do love how the witch is constantly placed in different areas, and it's always cool.

My favorite spot was at the end of the second level. Me and my teammates took forever trying to find it, since it was the end of the level might as well fight a witch right? After looking for minutes I finally found it. The big open window opposite the last safe room, she was out there. I don't even know how I spotted her, you could only make out the top of her head sometimes as she rocked back and forth. Well then I shot her and we had a grand old time.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Exarch wrote: »
    It's true to an extent, but that doesn't change the fact that trying to run past everything is also a bad idea. You need to pause at some point to deal with anything ahead.

I played with a group that decided to try and rush the subway map repeatedly. The director hates this apparently, since every time we'd get a Tank spawned on top of us in the subway cars, or just before them.

I remember one time our group got split into two. Two of us were "downed" near the escalators, the other two decided to simply rush through and leave us behind. I guess they figured we'd be "bait".

Despite the both of us being complete sitting ducks, the AI director focussed exclusively on the other two trying to make a break for the exit.

And boy did they ever get it handed to them. :lol:

subedii on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

You're absolutely right, but that's not exactly what I was referring to. I was talking about the areas like the left hand subway tube fork, or the area behind the hole at the start of the second map. You don't need to touch those if you don't want.

Oh yeah definitely. I feel there's much less scope for avoiding a fight in the second level, the train tunnels for the most part are very constricted (apart from that one really open underground area before you get to the final room). The first level though, your best bet is to make your way out of the building at a steady pace and DON'T LINGER. Doors don't offer too much protection, but you can avoid a boomer or two coming up from behind simply by locking doors behind you.

subedii on
  • Options
    UberEvUberEv Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Listen, I love you all dearly, but for the last damn time I DO NOT RUN ARMADDEADON. You must submit your requests either in this thread or to the actual leader of Armaddeadon. I run the PA L4D 360 Gamertag, to join that just send an invite to it.

UberEv on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I just had a great last bit in the demo's finale; we got swarmed hard, on Expert, and the machine gunner was taken down from behind just as I was pulled right out of the gunner room by a smoker and then pounced on by a hunter. The one AI ally was also killed pretty quickly, and then a boomer puked on me as I was being hunter'd. So we had one guy left, limping around on temp health, and he makes a run for it with his sniper rifle. He shoots the hunter, and hits the stairs, and runs into the smoker, who he kills, avenging me. He gets to the saferoom and doesn't close it, firing away at the last zombies, and I see a hunter down the walkway coming closer. I scream over vent "CLOSE THE DOOR CLOSE THE DOOR THERE'S A HUNTER CLOSE IT OH FUCK CLOSE IT" and he finally does.

It was hilarious.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Today I punched my first hunter. Twice.

It was satisfying.

What's also satisfying is running straight into a Boomer and just managing to stagger him with a hit before he can spew on everyone . Then thwack him once or twice more to get him at a distance, and the team finally takes him down. That was awesome.

subedii on
  • Options
    Hey YouHey You Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So.. I was thinking today while riding the subway... What if an aggressive strain of rabies happened, we would have something very close to an epidemic that occurs in this game. Maybe rabies is where the idea of zombies came from originally?

Hey You on
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The director is being treated like a pagan god with all sorts of superstitions being formed about him. I'd like to know what actually influences the director's actions. I'm hearing way too much vague shit about what's "making him mad".

Hoz on
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    Yeah I think I will be playing through on advanced first as well.

I really like expert, and that will be where I spend most of my screw around time I'm sure. But I get picked on way too often in expert, I will be standing in between two other guys, get smoked, boomed, and huntered and die. Too aggravating to try and see the campaign at the same time.

I think the director hates me because I usually pull rear guard, and keep him from being able to swarm us from behind.

Honestly Hoz;
    I think its better no one knows, adds more of a mystery to the game. And keeps people from "playing" the director. :P

Morkath on
  • Options
    LockoutLockout I am still searching Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    But I like thinking of him as a deity who is just a dick some days.

Lockout on
    f24GSaF.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I find it greatly amusing that they've actually managed to turn this string of programming into it's own character, and everyone hates him.

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Hoz wrote: »
    The director is being treated like a pagan god with all sorts of superstitions being formed about him. I'd like to know what actually influences the director's actions. I'm hearing way too much vague shit about what's "making him mad".

I don't think most people actually believe the more extreme statements; it's like when people have little superstitions about dice and shit. It's more for the fun of characterizing it.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Hey You wrote: »
    So.. I was thinking today while riding the subway... What if an aggressive strain of rabies happened, we would have something very close to an epidemic that occurs in this game. Maybe rabies is where the idea of zombies came from originally?

Well the in-game zombies are based off of the Rabies variant thing, but the original concept of zombies came from the Caribbean IIRC.
    Wikipedia wrote:
    A zombie is a reanimated human corpse. Stories of zombies originated in the Afro-Caribbean spiritual belief system of Vodou, which told of the people being controlled as workers by a powerful sorcerer.

According to the tenets of Vodou, a dead person can be revived by a bokor or Voodoo sorcerer. Zombies remain under the control of the bokor since they have no will of their own. "Zombi" is also another name of the Vodou snake god Damballah Wedo, of Niger-Congo origin; it is akin to the Kongo word nzambi, which means "god". There also exists within the voudon tradition the zombi astral which is a human soul that is captured by a bokor and used to enhance the bokor's power.

In 1937, while researching folklore in Haiti, Zora Neale Hurston encountered the case of a woman that appeared in a village, and a family claimed she was Felicia Felix-Mentor, a relative who had died and been buried in 1907 at the age of 29. Hurston pursued rumors that the affected persons were given powerful drugs, but she was unable to locate individuals willing to offer much information. She wrote:

“ What is more, if science ever gets to the bottom of Voodoo in Haiti and Africa, it will be found that some important medical secrets, still unknown to medical science, give it its power, rather than gestures of ceremony.[4] ”

Several decades later, Wade Davis, a Harvard ethnobotanist, presented a pharmacological case for zombies in two books, The Serpent and the Rainbow (1985) and Passage of Darkness: The Ethnobiology of the Haitian Zombie (1988). Davis traveled to Haiti in 1982 and, as a result of his investigations, claimed that a living person can be turned into a zombie by two special powders being entered into the blood stream (usually via a wound). The first, coup de poudre (French: 'powder strike'), includes tetrodotoxin (TTX), the poison found in the pufferfish. The second powder is composed of dissociatives such as datura. Together, these powders were said to induce a death-like state in which the victim's will would be entirely subject to that of the bokor. Davis also popularized the story of Clairvius Narcisse, who was claimed to have succumbed to this practice. There is wide belief among the Haitian people of the existence of the "zombie drug".

subedii on
  • Options
    capable heartcapable heart Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

They're just anthropomorphisizing, to make it easier to talk about.

Other wise you'd have to get into complex formulas about average skill and accuracy, damage dealt and/or taken, time spent in a particular area, distance from the other players, etc.

capable heart on
  • Options
    BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Hey You wrote: »
    just because YOU'VE got rabies doesn't mean we ALL should get it

BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Options
    Roland_tHTGRoland_tHTG Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    DeMoN wrote: »
    So, about video setting, what the hell does antiscopic filtering do? What should make the game run better, it being at 2X or 16X?

I'm not sure what it does, but if your interpret it through the literal meaning of what it says then you know at least that's its filtering something, logically to filter something would be to refine it, meaning processing it which would therefore suggest it requires more processor power? so I'm guessing if you had it at x2 it would mean less filtering and there fore less resources being used, resulting in the game running smoother but maybe not as pretty?

I dunno, just a considered guess?

Oh wow. You could have googled quicker than that response GPR.

As to the answer, turning it off will make the game run better.

Roland_tHTG on
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Other wise you'd have to get into complex formulas about average skilly and accuracy, damage dealt and/or taken, time spent in a particular area, distance from the other players, etc.
    No, it's not just that. People are focusing on this mysterious aspect of the game and dictating how the game should be played because of whatever personal experience they think they've had with it. In six months we'll have a Church of Left4Dead and the books of Francis, Bill, Louis, and Zoey to form the Left4Dead Bible.

Frankly, I think Valve made a mistake by characterizing this aspect of the game. They should have just referred to it as dynamic spawning or something like that, something people wouldn't really think about it as they're playing the game.

Hoz on
  • Options
    FugaFuga Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So I tried playing as the infected. God was it tedious as hell.

Fuga on
  • Options
    GafferoGaffero Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Does the "Witch"music remind anyone else of the Monolith theme from 2001: A Space Odyssey? It has that same, eerie, ethereal quality that both mesmerizes and terrifies.
    TURN THAT FLASHLIGHT OFF!
    Seriously; turn it off.
    Abort!Abort!!
    Run or shoot?
    BOTH!

Gaffero on
  • Options
    Roland_tHTGRoland_tHTG Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So I've decided that when you get hit by Boomer bile, take your finger off the trigger and just crouch and spam melee. It actually works.

WELCOME TO THURSDAY NIGHT.
    LOSER.
    There's still nothing here.

Jon, you act like you've played through expert using melee only.
    Is there something you'd like to tell the class?

Roland_tHTG on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited November 2008

Yes, he's not an angry deity. He's a cold calculating machine with a checklist that goes "Stand still too long? That's one Smoker for you".

matrix-architect.jpg

Echo on
  • Options
    DemiurgeDemiurge Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Seriously guys I love playing with you but if you join an expert game, do not play like fucking rambo and run across the house, alone, and get hit by a hunter and then a boomer and then leave the game when you die. I'm looking at you Koga.

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • Options
    Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Echo wrote: »

Yes, he's not an angry deity. He's a cold calculating machine with a checklist that goes "Stand still too long? That's one Smoker for you".

matrix-architect.jpg

Concordantly.

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
  • Options
    capable heartcapable heart Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Other wise you'd have to get into complex formulas about average skilly and accuracy, damage dealt and/or taken, time spent in a particular area, distance from the other players, etc.
    No, it's not just that. People are focusing on this mysterious aspect of the game and dictating how the game should be played because of whatever personal experience they think they've had with it. In six months we'll have a Church of Left4Dead and the books of Francis, Bill, Louis, and Zoey to form the Left4Dead Bible.

Frankly, I think Valve made a mistake by characterizing this aspect of the game. They should have just referred to it as dynamic spawning or something like that, something people wouldn't really think about it as they're playing the game.

Calling it a "director" fits perfectly in with the "movie" theme they've created. It's far more than just random spawn points, it does things like create tension by kicking you when you're down and not letting you stay safe by camping, spawning bosses in physical spots where their powers have more effect (smokers on rooftops), and punishing behaviours that would be "punished" in zombie movies (rushing off by yourself, etc.)

Dunno, seems like it's having exactly the intended effect, Valve got people to "get into" the game. It's not nebulous at all, certain behaviours by the players are very, very reliably encouraged or punished.

capable heart on
  • Options
    LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    At the start of every round I sacrifice someone to appease the director.

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • Options
    ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Echo wrote: »

matrix-architect.jpg

Concordantly.

Vis-à-vis.

Impersonator on
  • Options
    Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    There should be a map that is quite literally a rat maze from some scientific experiment. You look up and just see large lamps and maybe some darkened figure looking down on you

Imagine hearing the screams of the horde in those narrow corridors, or being chased by a tank only to hit a dead end

I don't even have this yet and I'm dreaming up concepts. 2 days T_T

edit:
    btw, I call mapping this.

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Hedge maze.

No molotovs allowed, unless you want to burn everyone and everything inside the maze.

GalagaGalaxian on
  • Options
    DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Why do people talk like they have to play on one difficulty or something all the way through? You know you can call a vote to change the difficulty at any point during the game.

So if your team sucks and you can't make progress just vote to make it easier, likewise if you're breezing through the levels you can make it harder.

It's weird to hear people say, "I'm playing it on Advanced because Expert is too hard to have fun." Really you should be trying to make it just hard enough to force your team to learn to gel and play well without making it frustrating.

Drool on
This discussion has been closed.