As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Atlantica Online]: MMOTBS done perfectly.

• n00bishn00bish Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Made a Swordsman last night, level 8 or something. What should I look forward to that dulls the pain of grindy bits?

n00bish on
    btrsig.jpg
  • zanmattozanmatto Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    n00bish wrote: »
    Made a Swordsman last night, level 8 or something. What should I look forward to that dulls the pain of grindy bits?

It becomes less of a grind right around the same time every fight becomes a fight for your life.

It's less of a grind if it's exciting :/

zanmatto on
    edited November 2008
    zanmatto wrote: »

It becomes less of a grind right around the same time every fight becomes a fight for your life.

The difficulty curve is already ramping up significantly. I hope that does help. It's a pretty badass game. In as Grumbolodrim.

n00bish on
    btrsig.jpg
    edited November 2008

The difficulty curve is already ramping up significantly. I hope that does help. It's a pretty badass game. In as Grumbolodrim.

Oh, and by the way? Incase you havent fought the first boss yet;

When it says, harder than you've ever fought before

It does in fact mean, harder than you've ever fought before :(

zanmatto on
    edited November 2008

Oh, and by the way? Incase you havent fought the first boss yet;

When it says, harder than you've ever fought before

It does in fact mean, harder than you've ever fought before :(

Is the Hell Scout the first boss? Because if so... t:x>

n00bish on
    btrsig.jpg
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Nah, Hell Fairy is

I beat it in one try but it was close, all of my Mercs had less than 100 HP by the end of it

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited November 2008
    Nah, Hell Fairy is

I beat it in one try but it was close, all of my Mercs had less than 100 HP by the end of it

Wait, what? Hell Fairy is just the recolored (yellow?) Sky Fairy, right? That shit was cake. The Hell Scout is a huge Hell Armor that prompts the game to tell you exactly how many people have failed to kill his ass. Or is that not a boss?

n00bish on
    btrsig.jpg
  • MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    Playing as "Morkath", currently a level 5 spearman.

Morkath on
    edited November 2008
    Nah, Hell Fairy is

Wait, what? Hell Fairy is just the recolored (yellow?) Sky Fairy, right? That shit was cake. The Hell Scout is a huge Hell Armor that prompts the game to tell you exactly how many people have failed to kill his ass. Or is that not a boss?

No no, not the Evil Sky Fairy, the Hell Fairy. You have to go to a zone exclusively to fight her.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited November 2008
    Nah, Hell Fairy is

No no, not the Evil Sky Fairy, the Hell Fairy. You have to go to a zone exclusively to fight her.

Oooooh. Welp, that will be fun.

n00bish on
    btrsig.jpg
    edited November 2008
    Nah, Hell Fairy is

Oooooh. Welp, that will be fun.

It's not too bad, but it's not easy. Having an Archer on your team makes it much more manageable (because of Silence). I'll spoiler the basic outline of the battle:
    The Hell Fairy has 5-6 minions surrounding her, which includes Hell Warriors/Soldiers, Unicorns and Sky Fairies/Evil Sky Fairies. She can cast a spell that does 350-375 damage to all party members, and also has a spell that reduces your party's attack and defense by about 125-150. With Silence it's a pretty easy fight, and I think the Hell Fairy has less health than the Hell Scout.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Fleck0Fleck0 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Just when I thought I was out they pull me back in.

Korean MMOs that is.

In as Flecko the cannoneer on thebes

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • tgbobtgbob Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Is Whismur, level 22 axe.

Should we always be in a group even if we're all doing different stuff just for the extra xp and stamina and stuff?

tgbob on
  • redraptorredraptor Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Man I'm a level 10 cannon fellow on the other server, should I reroll on thebes? What benefits do I get other than not being alone with no one to talk to?

Also the cannoneers ability which lets you see enemy hit points is kewl. Can I get a viking yet?

My hero right now looks like a douche, there was no character creation options which did not produce a douche. Does better amor and stuff eventually make you not look like a douche? I don't like looking like a douche.

redraptor on
    edited November 2008
    Vikings can be recruited, at minimum, level 20. Of course they start at level 1, so you might want to shelve your mercs and just use him and a main to grind out exp.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited November 2008
    can I rearrange my hotkeys for merc selecting (i.e. 1-4) and order they appear on the inv screen?

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I think the order they appear in can't be changed, but I could be wrong. There is a way to change the hot key attached to each merc, but I forget what it is, though I do remember an NPC teaching me that stuff after beating all the quests in that first zone.

Seg on
    edited November 2008
    while the merc is selected on the bar in the lower right, hit ctrl-number to re-number them

cant change the order from what i know

Morkath on
    edited November 2008
    OP was very right about the addictive customization. If not for the 'annoying as hell' 24-hour delete period I'd have remade my char many many times already

edit: nevermind it's not actually a full day, just a few hours, rerolled my main(axe) since I'm a little bitch when it comes to my toon's name.

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • KlatuKlatu Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OiRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Started an Axe on Thebes.

Klatu on
    Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    There are no downsides to being in a party. :P

IRT bosses; focus fire on the boss, the rest of your enemies run for the hills the moment the boss is down.

Aldo on
    edited November 2008
    also have an archer named Acherousia

Morkath on
  • quaigyquaigy Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I'm in for a few days, Axe named Winterfell on Thebes. Currently level 14ish ... somewhere in the world.

quaigy on
    edited November 2008
    Man, the grind on the trade skills is HORRIFYING.

I'm getting like 1.2 xp an antidote, here! :(

zanmatto on
    edited November 2008
    Man, the grind on the trade skills is HORRIFYING.

I'm getting like 1.2 xp an antidote, here! :(
    I kinda stopped bothering with crafting to be honest.

Protip: just play on and buy all your mats in the marketplace. You'll probably make more money that way anyway.

Aldo on
  • EvigilantEvigilant VARegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I'm on thebes.

Evigilante, 12 Cannoneer.

Edit: This game is farily interesting. I like my party setup so far, 1 swordsman, 1 spear, 1 gunner, 1 cannoneer(me), 1 shaman. I'm only level 13, but I defeated the hellish fairy on my first try without having any of my mercs die.

Evigilant on
    XBL\PSN\Steam\Origin: Evigilant
    edited November 2008
    Got to level 10 last night in the small time played. Char name is Kendrith and I'm keen to group with anyone for the benefits whenever I'm on.

Klatu on
  • HarshLanguageHarshLanguage Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I just got rocked by a flock of level 12 owls. My dudes were lvls 7 to 9 and half meleers. D: But at least I found the Guard command. Damn owls.

I take it that it's best to get melee into the front line? Of my 4 current characters, I have 2 melee and 2 ranged, meaning that my Gunner is in the front line and gets KO'd quite often, the poor girl. They really seem to pick on her, and sometimes health pots don't register for a turn or two.

Random questions (can't find answers in the help text): Why do I and most other players have [18] next to their name? What's the penalty for a merc dying, other than using up a life pot? Do I want to hold on to these various boxes I've been getting, or sell them? (I've been opening Spirit boxes only.)

Oh, and why don't I get to use all my characters in the very turn when initiating combat? Sometimes I can use one, sometimes up to 3. Seems weird.

HarshLanguage on
    QSwearing_trans_smooth_small.gif
    > turn on light

Good start to the day. Pity it's going to be the worst one of your life. The light is now on.
  • EvigilantEvigilant VARegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I just got rocked by a flock of level 12 owls. My dudes were lvls 7 to 9 and half meleers. D: But at least I found the Guard command. Damn owls.

I take it that it's best to get melee into the front line? Of my 4 current characters, I have 2 melee and 2 ranged, meaning that my Gunner is in the front line and gets KO'd quite often, the poor girl. They really seem to pick on her, and sometimes health pots don't register for a turn or two.

Random questions (can't find answers in the help text): Why do I and most other players have [18] next to their name? What's the penalty for a merc dying, other than using up a life pot? Do I want to hold on to these various boxes I've been getting, or sell them? (I've been opening Spirit boxes only.)

I'd put the meleers up front, since they have higher def than your ranged. This also prevents them from being targeted until your melee dies, or they have an AOE attack.

Depending on if you want to craft or not, I'd use the material one. If you want better spells, use the commodity one. Hold onto the enhancement gems you get from that chest, when you start getting duplicate gear from the spirit boxes you can take 2 equipments + 1 gem = +1 gear.

Evigilant on
    XBL\PSN\Steam\Origin: Evigilant
    edited November 2008

Oh, and why don't I get to use all my characters in the very turn when initiating combat? Sometimes I can use one, sometimes up to 3. Seems weird.

The number next to someone's name is their division in the free league.

18 is the noobie league, while if you see a dude at division 1 he is an atlantica god

zanmatto on
  • SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Commodity Boxes will give you books that let you raise the level of your magic skills, you will want to use those. You also get potions you can use that will randomly give you attribute boosts. Enchant Boxes will let you buff various pieces of equipment. Material Boxes will give you mats for crafting or selling in the market. Avoid selling things to the 10g vendor, unless the market value on that item lists as less then 10g. (Yes it has been established that many players are morons. Don't even bother trying to understand why people would try selling something in the market for less then they could get for it from a vendor.)

The number beside the names tells you which PvP division a person is in, that number changes as they do the tournament things that are available.

Yes, use Formation to move your ranged characters behind your melee characters. Ranged attacks can get them, but the melee attacks won't.

As for a death penalty on Mercs, I haven't noticed one yet.

Seg on
    edited November 2008
    Healing and main char on the back row, melee (swordsmen pref.) front row.

You can target flying mobs with special attacks

[18] is the pvp division you're in. It goes from 18 to 1.

Dying isn't that horrible. It just costs you gold or a potion.

Boxes should just be opened, the items you get are mostly for your level range. Material boxes can also contain ashen crystals which you will need a lot after a few levels. The unopened boxes aren't worth that much either, right?

Aldo on
    edited November 2008
    Seg wrote: »
    Commodity Boxes will give you books that let you raise the level of your magic skills, you will want to use those. You also get potions you can use that will randomly give you attribute boosts. Enchant Boxes will let you buff various pieces of equipment. Material Boxes will give you mats for crafting or selling in the market. Avoid selling things to the 10g vendor, unless the market value on that item lists as less then 10g. (Yes it has been established that many players are morons. Don't even bother trying to understand why people would try selling something in the market for less then they could get for it from a vendor.)

The number beside the names tells you which PvP division a person is in, that number changes as they do the tournament things that are available.

Yes, use Formation to move your ranged characters behind your melee characters. Ranged attacks can get them, but the melee attacks won't.

As for a death penalty on Mercs, I haven't noticed one yet.
    Eh, it's quite a hike to get back to the NPC buyers. :P

Aldo on
  • poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Your characters can be three deep, so you shouldn't need to put the gunner in the front row. Have 2 melee at the front of two columns, giving you space for 4 ranged behind them. Leave one column empty for now.

As for the turns thing - Each char has a number beside them. If it is more than 100 it is green. This is their action points. Attacking uses 100, and they gain a random amount (25-75?) each turn. Other stuff (moving, guarding) uses less AP I think, so maybe they can guard if not attack.

If you use a potion or scroll, they take 2 turns to happen, so a counter will come up by your name. Sometimes enemies do the same - kill them first before they nuke you.

That's all I know.

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
    edited November 2008
    I have discovered that people are idiots.

I'm playing the market like a mofo and making hundreds of thousands of e-bux

edit: Also, Frosteey, give me my two hundred grand!

zanmatto on
    edited November 2008
    So I was combining two +1 Ocean Axes, expecting a +2 Ocean Axe, but what came out was a +4 Ocean Axe

This thing is a monster, something around 260-420 damage

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • HarshLanguageHarshLanguage Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The mysteries of the Formation window have been revealed to me! (That is, I am an idiot and didn't realize I could move mercs wherever I wanted in the grid; I assumed it was just their order, not location. :oops: ) Thanks for that and the other answers guys.

It's remarkable the features this game has, and implements well, like the market and mail, that some big-name pay-to-play games don't have or don't do as smoothly.

Hmm, I just ran into a Hellish Fairy while wandering. I hope I didn't screw up the questline by fighting it early. Fun fight. Cool zone music.

HarshLanguage on
    QSwearing_trans_smooth_small.gif
    > turn on light

Good start to the day. Pity it's going to be the worst one of your life. The light is now on.
  • quaigyquaigy Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Should we create a guild yet ? It would help to share monsters informations (extra loot for all !) and craft levels ..

quaigy on
  • Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Hey Folks, I've joined in as an Archer - name of Svengalia... How do we go about finding other PA people?

Banzai5150 on
    50433.png?1708759015
    edited November 2008
    I'd think we'd have enough people to do so, and it would make grouping for xp and things easier.

Klatu on