As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Help me spend a $100 gift card for Futureshop.

ScottyScotty Registered User regular
edited November 2008 in Games and Technology
My wife got herself a new cell phone the other day, and with the deal, they gave her a $100 gift card. She's an awesome wife, so she gave it to me.<3:^:

Now I have a 360 and a PS3, and I was thinking of either Gears 2 or Metal Gear Solid 4, because I haven't gotten around to it yet, and as they say, it's mandatory for the PS3. (or waiting for Mirror's edge, but I'm hearing it's worth waiting on)

Anyhow, I was also thinking of getting a bluetooth headset for the PS3, but since many that I play online with don't have one, maybe that's not worth it right now. Is the Eye Camera worth it? I like the idea of putting stuff into LBP with it, but I dunno.

If it helps at all, in case I'm missing something, here's what I have...

PS3 -

Resistance Fall of Man 1
Dead Space
Little Big Planet

Blu-ray - (Not much yet)

Transformers
A Christmas Story

360 -

Ghost Recon AWF 2
Rockband
Lost Planet
The Bourne Conspiracy
FN R3
Gears of war 1
Burnout Paradise
Earth Defense Force 2017
Beautiful Katamari
Force Unleashed

Help me, I need input.
johnny5.jpg

Scotty on

• Options
    ChewyWafflesChewyWaffles Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Depends on what you liked out of your list...$100? I'd get Resistance 2 and Gears of War 2, personally - I mean, I'd shell out an extra $20 and get both of those since I loved Resistance and think Gears 2 is going to have good online MP.

Oh, and I'd stay away from the Eye Toy for the PS3 unless you're just dying to do something with it. I got it with the Eye of Judgment game and it gathers dust now.

ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Hmmmm.....dually noted, thanks Chewy.

I did LOVE the first Gears, but I don't have a Gold Account right now, so online is out. (Unless I just go with Gears 2 and buy the year subscription too...hmmmm.)

I await more opinions...

Scotty on
  • Options
    BabbleBabble Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I would do that, Gears of War 2 and the Xbox Live card.

Babble on
  • Options
    artooartoo Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    MGS4 and Gears 2 should be played, maybe you can score a XBL trial somewhere for gears?

artoo on
  • Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    PS3 recommendations:

MGS4 (of course! but be sure you have played the previous games already)
    Uncharted (there is a demo but it doesn't really do the game justice. it is a solid 3rd person shooter/platformer with a main character out of Firefly and a story out of Indiana Jones)
    Valkyria Chronicles (if you're in to tactical RPGs and pretty graphics)

I don't own a 360 so I can't help you there. MGS4 has about as much replayability as there are emblems, but out of those I recommended it is probably the least replayable, unless you count Metal Gear Online. Uncharted is very replayable due to its trophies and treasure hunting. Valky C seems pretty replayable so far (I don't think I'm anywhere near done) due to the infinite number of tactics you can try but it seems pretty niche so it might not be your thing.

Hold off on the EyeToy unless you're playing Eye of Judgement. There should be a LBP patch coming that allows you to import stuff without the eye. Headset would be good if you're playing Warhawk, Resistance, SOCOM or MGO online so it really depends on what games you're playing.

Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    vegas-stevenvegas-steven Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    you can sell the $100 card for cash, buy a bus ticket to the states and then shop at a bestbuy...

haha, couldnt resist. i am from canada, and just cant believe how much more stuff (still) costs there because of the dollar.

anyhow i would say for the 360 GOW1 is great, and i would skip beautiful karamari as it was just plain stupid to me.

also check out their website as they often have these clearance items that you can get super cheap internet only.

vegas-steven on
    Las Vegas Youtube page with lots of useless videos:
    http://www.youtube.com/vegassteven
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Much to ponder!

I totally forgot about Drake's Fortune, but I am leaning towards GEARS 2.

Vegas-steven, the games I listed are the ones I already own.;-)

I haven't even beaten the first Resistance game yet, so I can probably wait on the second one.

Glad to hear the news concerning LBP, I'll definitely forget about the eye toy.

I suck at these decisions.:lol:

Scotty on
  • Options
    elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Fallout 3.

Or Left 4 Dead if your PC can run it or if you plan on getting Live. And it's worth getting Live for.

elevature on
  • Options
    bigwahbigwah Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Left 4 Dead.

bigwah on
    LoL Tribunal:
    "Was cursing, in broken english at his team, and at our team. made fun of dead family members and mentioned he had sex with a dog."
    "Hope he dies tbh but a ban would do."
  • Options
    BeckBeck Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Gears of War 2 should definitely be your first choice. Then Metal Gear Solid 4, if you liked the others.

I would definitely skip Resistance 2, though. I feel all right saying it's a fine first person shooter if the PS3 is the only console you have available to you, but it doesn't stand up to Gears. At all.

Bioshock is worth it, too, if you haven't played that one yet.

Beck on
    Lucas's Franklin Badge reflected the lightning back!
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    You, uh....don't have Grand Theft Auto 4?

I mean, it's not the greatest game ever, but it's damn fun, and it's about as replayable as any of the other GTA games, s'far as random destruction and such goes. I don't have a 360 either, but it's probably a safe bet that Gears 2 is a must-buy for the console. And I liked MGS4, but a lot of people didn't.

Uncharted is really really good, as was mentioned. I've beaten it three times myself, and I haven't really bothered replaying a game like that before Uncharted since....well, I don't even remember. So yeah, that's what I'd have to say.

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    elevature wrote: »
    Fallout 3.

It's incredibly good.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Chance wrote: »
    elevature wrote: »
    Fallout 3.

It's incredibly good.
    Fallout 3 is not good. It is not great. It is so amazingly amazing that it defies the use of such boring words as good and great.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Wait for boxing day.

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Recoil42 wrote: »
    Wait for boxing day.
    By playing Fallout 3.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    TeevirusTeevirus Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I'd third Fallout three. It's wonderful.

Teevirus on
  • Options
    KimFidlerKimFidler Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Fallout 3 + Fable 2

or

Gears of War 2 + Xbox Live Gold (Year)

KimFidler on
  • Options
    TheSuperWootTheSuperWoot Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    If you're willing to get Live I'd have to third elevature and BigWah in saying Left 4 Dead.

Granted I'm on the PC, but I've already played 20 hours in the demo which is not even a tenth of the actual game.

TheSuperWoot on
  • Options
    powersurgepowersurge Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Considering it sounds like you want a beefy single player experience it sounds like Fallout 3 is a good bet. Though I'd go for the 360 or pc version as I hear the PS3 edition has some issues.

If you really want multiplayer then your option is to get a live card a long with Gears of War 2 (3rd person, co op, small multiplayer games) or Call of Duty 4 (possibly World at War. Both feature a bit larger more actiony multiplayer both due to the leveling mechanic will suck tons of your days away). Honestly as a owner of all 3 current consoles I prefer the 360 for multiplayer games.

powersurge on
  • Options
    McClyMcCly Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    FALLOUT 3 AND GoW2.

McCly on
    kbellchewiesig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Ok, I'm seeing a lot of Fallout 3. (never played any previous ones)
    I loved me some Oblivion, is it a safe bet that I'll love this?
    Is it a lot the same? (gameplaywise)

I've decided that Gears 2 is a go, and I may wait for my B-day (Dec. 3rd) for someone else to get me Live Gold.

For the second, I'm thinking either MGS4 or FO3...I tried the new demo for MGS4, and thought it was pretty stellar, and I have played through the previous 3. (I assume that the demo really doesn't show anything of the game)

I'm a ponderer, yeaaah a ponderer, I ponder around around around.:whistle:

Scotty on
  • Options
    mooshoeporkmooshoepork Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    If you don't get mgs4, I will lose all respect for you.

Scotty!

Seriously though...MGS4, gears 2/FO3

MGS4 is the definite though. Jesus christ that game was amazing.

mooshoepork on
  • Options
    Dr Mario KartDr Mario Kart Games Dealer Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    wait for holiday sales to get more for it. Its going to be a very competitive holiday season as far as retailers getting people into the store, and also in the short-mid term because games that tank are going to need to move fast.

Dr Mario Kart on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    DECISION MADE!

Because I know it'll be just awesome.
    y3w5v452upr6qwko7l8g82gb.jpg

+

I hear it's ball-grabbingly good. (and Mooshoe's respect is just too damn valuable)
    thumbsupsetting%20recordstraight.jpg

Thanks for the help! :)

Scotty on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    DECISION MADE!

Because I know it'll be just awesome.
    y3w5v452upr6qwko7l8g82gb.jpg

+

I hear it's ball-grabbingly good. (and Mooshoe's respect is just too damn valuable)
    thumbsupsetting%20recordstraight.jpg

Thanks for the help! :)

Scotty on
  • Options
    mooshoeporkmooshoepork Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    haha nice :) Good choice.

mooshoepork on