As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

New DNC chair and the outgoing chair

werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
edited November 2008 in Debate and/or Discourse
My first reaction is god dammit. Dean won't be running for a second term as DNC chair. While this doesn't directly impact the White House, it will have a huge impact on the character of the national party and frees up a big gun for another spot, either in the Administration or a possible Senate run.

I'm not terribly worried about a backslide in the DNC, since I'm sure Obama will appoint someone who has their head on straight, but I have to say I'd really rather see Dean getting more respect from the party proper. Considering what he's managed he should be the Newt of the left.

werehippy on

• NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Obama is still fundraising! This time its for the DNC, though.

Obama, I still have not received my car magnet! :x

What has Dean managed to accomplish as DNC chair? I'm curious why anyone would be upset by his departure? He seemed to sit back on the sidelines and let momentum do its thing.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • geckahngeckahn Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Obama is still fundraising! This time its for the DNC, though.

Obama, I still have not received my car magnet! :x

What has Dean managed to accomplish as DNC chair? I'm curious why anyone would be upset by his departure? He seemed to sit back on the sidelines and let momentum do its thing.

50 state strategy? He focused on growing state democratic organizations, instead of acting as a fundraiser for the DNC coffer. He's done more for the party than any DNC chair in recent history.

geckahn on
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Dean was the guy who implemented the 50-state strategy when he was under heavy pressure to abandon the red states to their fate. Basically, without Dean, kiss North Carolina, Indiana and Omaha goodbye, as well as the efforts in Montana and North Dakota and West Virginia and so on and so forth.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    werehippy wrote: »
    My first reaction is god dammit. Dean won't be running for a second term as DNC chair. While this doesn't directly impact the White House, it will have a huge impact on the character of the national party and frees up a big gun for another spot, either in the Administration or a possible Senate run.

I'm not terribly worried about a backslide in the DNC, since I'm sure Obama will appoint someone who has their head on straight, but I have to say I'd really rather see Dean getting more respect from the party proper. Considering what he's managed he should be the Newt of the left.

Maybe he'd rather maintain a low profile so that his actual public persona doesn't impact the elections he's trying to help win. Like it or not he wasn't a universally beloved figure so its possible that an ever present Dean could cost the DNC an election in some close races.

RedTide on
    RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • ZimmydoomZimmydoom Accept no substitutes Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    RedTide wrote: »

Maybe he'd rather maintain a low profile so that his actual public persona doesn't impact the elections he's trying to help win. Like it or not he wasn't a universally beloved figure so its possible that an ever present Dean could cost the DNC an election in some close races.

You're really grasping here. I sincerely doubt there is a statistically significant bloc of voters out there who would be perfectly willing to vote Dem on the down ticket except man that guy Dean is such a jerk.

Zimmydoom on
    Better-than-birthday-sig!
    Gim wrote: »
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
    While sitting in a reclining chair
    Now there are Zim-Bear hybrids
    Running around and clawing eyelids
    Watch out, a Zim-Bear is about to have sex with yooooooou!
  • seasleepyseasleepy Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Man, Dean has been pretty damn visible as far as party chairs go. Can you name the current RNC chair? I know I had to go wiki it and I barely recognize the name. (Though it looks like the DNC chairs tend to be more visible than the RNC chairs in general.)
    Zimmydoom wrote: »
    RedTide wrote: »

You're really grasping here. I sincerely doubt there is a statistically significant bloc of voters out there who would be perfectly willing to vote Dem on the down ticket except man that guy Dean is such a jerk.
    It could have (possibly has had?) an effect on fundraising though. Remember Hillary and the DLC were laying the groundwork basically for their own parallel DNC during the primaries. I don't think that should be a reason for him to go anywhere, but if there's a lot of murmuring about Dean being that divisive, politically he might feel it's the right thing to do.

seasleepy on
    Steam | Nintendo: seasleepy | PSN: seasleepy1
  • ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    seasleepy wrote: »

Man, Dean has been pretty damn visible as far as party chairs go. Can you name the current RNC chair? I know I had to go wiki it and I barely recognize the name. (Though it looks like the DNC chairs tend to be more visible than the RNC chairs in general.)

That's because anybody leading the dems has to be capable of herding cats.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The other possibility is Dean thinks Leahy is retiring in 2010 and is going for his Senate seat. Nate brought that possibility up yesterday. I like Leahy so I hope he's not, but Dean would be an acceptable replacement.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The other possibility is Dean thinks Leahy is retiring in 2010 and is going for his Senate seat. Nate brought that possibility up yesterday. I like Leahy so I hope he's not, but Dean would be an acceptable replacement.

Leahy looks like a less creepy James Carville.

I wonder what influence Obama will be able to bring to bear on who gets to replace Dean as DNC chair, and who he'd put his weight behind.

moniker on
    edited November 2008
    moniker wrote: »

I wonder what influence Obama will be able to bring to bear on who gets to replace Dean as DNC chair, and who he'd put his weight behind.

Leahy is also a huge fan of Batman and had a speaking cameo in The Dark Knight.

enlightenedbum on
    edited November 2008

The man's been spotted driving his son's batmobile around the halls of the senate, if I remember the story in the Times correctly.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • seasleepyseasleepy Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

According to Ambinder: Traditionally, Dean is allowed to pick his successor. But Obama's also allowed to pick the successor and/or decide what the DNC is going to be for the next several years. And Dean is basically going to defer to Obama.

Basically Obama has all the influence, since Dean's apparently not going to be throwing out any names, and nobody's going to be fighting Obama at this point.

seasleepy on
    Steam | Nintendo: seasleepy | PSN: seasleepy1
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited November 2008
    So Obama is basically God of the Democratic party now.

That doesn't seem like a lot of pressure, or anything.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    ElJeffe wrote: »

Can we make him God-Emperor?

Couscous on
  • AlejandroDaJAlejandroDaJ Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Scalfin wrote: »

The man's been spotted driving his son's batmobile around the halls of the senate, if I remember the story in the Times correctly.

Do you think Heath Ledger had fun pulling a (fake) knife on and manhandling a sitting Senator? That must've been entertaining.

Also, I've always thought Leahy looked kinda like a kindlier Dick Cheney. I met him in 2005, I was in Leahy's front office getting a signature on some correspondence. I was just sitting in one of the reception chairs, minding my own business, when Leahy comes up to me and says "Hello." I look up and I think, "Oh my God Dick Cheney is here and he's going to tell me to go fuck myself."

Finally, Biden will be good cop to Emmanuel's bad cop when dealing with Congress. I totally called it, used those exact same words... though not on this forum. Too bad, you guys are more appreciative than the other heathens I was preaching to.

AlejandroDaJ on
    edited November 2008

He has ridden the moon worm.

moniker on
    edited November 2008
    Scalfin wrote: »

Do you think Heath Ledger had fun pulling a (fake) knife on and manhandling a sitting Senator? That must've been entertaining.

Also, I've always thought Leahy looked kinda like a kindlier Dick Cheney. I met him in 2005, I was in Leahy's front office getting a signature on some correspondence. I was just sitting in one of the reception chairs, minding my own business, when Leahy comes up to me and says "Hello." I look up and I think, "Oh my God Dick Cheney is here and he's going to tell me to go fuck myself."

Finally, Biden will be good cop to Emmanuel's bad cop when dealing with Congress. I totally called it, used those exact same words... though not on this forum. Too bad, you guys are more appreciative than the other heathens I was preaching to.

From what I've read about Rahm, though, that could mean that he'd only threaten Republicans with a knife rather than actually attacking.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Pat Leahy and Dick Cheney look alike?

PatrickLeahy.jpgcheney~s600x600.jpg

I mean, I guess they're both old white dudes. I mean, I can see some resemblance, but I think you can pick out Cheney because he always has that sneer on his face.

And on the Rahm/Biden thing, I think everyone could guess that Rahm is the bad cop in that pair.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2008

Well, i think he's automatically become a permanent Superdelegate or something just for being elected president, like Carter.

FyreWulff on
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

He has ridden the moon worm.

Gore for new head of the DNC?

I could think of worse people.

/Lord it's sad how that comment made me think of Gore thanks to Futurama.

Jragghen on
  • Captain UltraCaptain Ultra low resolution pictures of birds Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    Pat Leahy and Dick Cheney look alike?

Leahy and Dick

I mean, I guess they're both old white dudes. I mean, I can see some resemblance, but I think you can pick out Cheney because he always has that sneer on his face.

And on the Rahm/Biden thing, I think everyone could guess that Rahm is the bad cop in that pair.

Leahy was the one Cheney told to "Go fuck yourself." This similarity in looks is disturbing.

And, jeez, people, Obama isn't going to put Al Gore as the DNC chair. Didn't you get the memo? Its the Black House, so my only guess for DNC chair is William Jefferson or maybe Mos Def.
    More seriously, the DNC chair and RNC chairs usually don't get that high profile names for them. Its usually some longtime Party hack, or maybe a sitting Senator who is the nominal chair with a longtime party hack as the actual head. (See Mel Martinez's short run as the head of the RNC or Chris Dodd's chairmanship back in the early 90s.)

Captain Ultra on
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited November 2008
    Oh look, I made a thread. That was simple!

I wonder if there was a button someone could've used to make a thread by themselves without me splitting this.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Elki wrote: »
    Oh look, I made a thread. That was simple!

I wonder if there was a button someone could've used to make a thread by themselves without me splitting this.

What is this sorcery you speak of?

Jragghen on
    edited November 2008
    Except with the Obama White House and the new DNC being very much linked together and Obama in fact basically controlling DNC operations, they are linked so a new thread was not entirely required. I also kind of think an American Politics sub-forum is almost appropriate at this point.

Anyway, directly on-topic: David Plouffe is the obvious choice if he wants the job.

enlightenedbum on
  • FunkyWaltDoggFunkyWaltDogg Columbia, SCRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    This had damn well better mean Dean has something even better lined up.

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Anyway, directly on-topic: David Plouffe is the obvious choice if he wants the job.

Isn't Plouffe publicity shy as hell and disinclined to move his family? Not to say I don't think he's at least potentially a good choice, but I thought personal reasons ruled out his coming to Washington.

werehippy on
    edited November 2008

Isn't Plouffe publicity shy as hell and disinclined to move his family? Not to say I don't think he's at least potentially a good choice, but I thought personal reasons ruled out his coming to Washington.

Well, depending on the situation, the DNC chair doesn't really need to be a hugely public figure. Dean did because he was waging an internal battle to get the 50 state strategy through. When you're winning it's less of a public figure (quick, name an RNC chair from the last eight years). If he was willing to move his family, Plouffe would be an excellent choice.

enlightenedbum on
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Oh jesus fuck. Get this man an internet.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
    edited November 2008

Well, depending on the situation, the DNC chair doesn't really need to be a hugely public figure. Dean did because he was waging an internal battle to get the 50 state strategy through. When you're winning it's less of a public figure (quick, name an RNC chair from the last eight years). If he was willing to move his family, Plouffe would be an excellent choice.

It at the very least has potential. I thought of him being an Adviser to the President like Axelrod, with a lot of access and quiet influence but completely below radar, but now that you've put it out there I really like the idea of DNC chair as a sort of campaign manager in chief.

edit: Via Ambinder: Plouffe says not so much.

werehippy on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The chair being a sort of celebrity-politician is a relatively strange thing, in the history of the DNC. Dean leaves a great legacy and I wouldn't be at all surprised if his replacement was someone pulled up from one of the more successful statewide operations. The chair is going to be a less prestigious position with a democratically controlled government, too.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2008
    Didn't the Democratic HQ get moved to Chicago? I don't recall reading anything about them moving it back.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
    edited November 2008
    Didn't the Democratic HQ get moved to Chicago? I don't recall reading anything about them moving it back.

That was only for the election, and they kept the DC office. Everything basically just got swallowed into Obama's operation out of Michigan Avenue to ensure it ran smoothly/had easier communications.

Does the chair actually have to be in DC all that often, though? It seems like he could work out of Chicago and most of the meetings take place at conventions or whatever in random parts of the country anyway. Hell, what does the DNC even do between elections aside from ask for donations and make the primary process more convoluted?

moniker on
    edited November 2008

That was only for the election, and they kept the DC office. Everything basically just got swallowed into Obama's operation out of Michigan Avenue to ensure it ran smoothly/had easier communications.

Does the chair actually have to be in DC all that often, though? It seems like he could work out of Chicago and most of the meetings take place at conventions or whatever in random parts of the country anyway. Hell, what does the DNC even do between elections aside from ask for donations and make the primary process more convoluted?

That's what a crappy DNC chairperson would do :)

A good DNC chair would split their time between keeping their ear to the ground in the next round of races (and to a lesser extent the round after), building party infrastructure, recruiting candidates and general talent, providing central/neutral leadership for the party at large, and fundraising/primary management.

werehippy on
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So apparently Dean is angling for Health and Human Services chair

nexuscrawler on
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • galenbladegalenblade Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Is there a cite for this, or is it just rumor at this point?

I think actually HHS would be a good fit for Dean. It's a very different job than DNC chair, and I think it explains why he'd want to do something closer to his calling (he's actually an MD) than being a political operative. I'm unsure of what specifically he did in Vermont, but I remember back in 2004 some hullabaloo about his health care plan.

galenblade on
    linksig.jpg
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    galenblade wrote: »

Is there a cite for this, or is it just rumor at this point?

I think actually HHS would be a good fit for Dean. It's a very different job than DNC chair, and I think it explains why he'd want to do something closer to his calling (he's actually an MD) than being a political operative. I'm unsure of what specifically he did in Vermont, but I remember back in 2004 some hullabaloo about his health care plan.

Dr. Dynasaur. He did some great things for health care here, mostly for children and pregnant women (which is fine, as they're probably the most needy). He also did balance the state budget, and lowered income taxes, but raised property taxes by a nasty amount. They're at the point that we won't even buy a house until we move out of state, because we couldn't afford the taxes (a $100,000 house would be around $2500 in taxes yearly).

Don't get me wrong, he's a crazy bastard, but he overall did a decent job up here. Douglas is doing a great job, as well, and I'm glad he won governorship again this year, especially with Symington being such an asshat.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Couscous wrote: »

Can we make him God-Emperor?
    His name is a killing word.

GungHo on