As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Movie year 2008: What was good?

1235»

• Options
    zakkielzakkiel Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    noir_blood wrote: »
    In Bruges was excellent, as was Burn After Reading, although I can kinda see why they both sort of fail. They were billed as comedies, and while there were certainly funny parts to it, both had really bloody stuff. Loved both though.

The one no one seems to mention is Son of Rambow. Awesome, awesome movie, and it actually made me tear up just a bit. I saw it at the Alamo Drafthouse, and for a movie that glorifies film making and how movies have the power to inspire, I just found that to be fitting.

Also, Forgetting Sarah Marshall was great, just for the puppet scenes.

Burn After Reading only really started being funny after it introduced the bloody violence. The end of the move is pretty hilarious, but it's really not worth watching to get to that point.

zakkiel on
    Account not recoverable. So long.
  • Options
    LacroixLacroix Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Burn After Reading only really started being funny after it introduced the bloody violence. The end of the move is pretty hilarious, but it's really not worth watching to get to that point

But those parts aren't funny without the rest of the movie and the build up. That moment marks when everything in the plot starts coming together. The pay off is worth the meandering seeming 'where are they going with this?' and then you have that 'ohhhhhh' moment.

Major B.A.R spoilers
    The death of Brad Pitts character is so funny because we've been coaxed into thinking somthing like that wouldn't possibly happen. And the end, with the one character who doesn't deserve to be punished biting it is a bit of a kicker

Lacroix on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    werehippy wrote: »
    Pineapple Express was surprisingly good. I really haven't gotten on the Apatow train (Knocked Up was ok, Super Bad had some good parts but was decidedly eh, Forgetting Sarah Marshall wasn't good at all) but this was honestly immensely entertaining. There were dumb or boring parts, but they were in the distinct minority. I laugh almost straight through.

same exact feeling on every movie mentioned, except I didn't see Sarah Marshall.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch