As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Left 4 Dead : The Tank, The Witch and Survivors in the Wardrobe : Demo Out Now!!

• HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    subedii wrote: »
    HerrCron wrote: »
    DeMoN wrote: »
    Real men kill Tanks on expert by hitting them with med kits.

Real men use harsh language.

Hey subedii, have you ever been mistaken for a man?

No, have y... Aw sod it, we've run the entire script into the ground several times over by now.

Although "THEY'RE COMING OUT OF THE WALLS!" probably won't get tired anytime soon.

A day without Aliens quotes is like a day without sunshine.

HerrCron on
    sig.gif
  • Suicide SlydeSuicide Slyde Haunts your dreams of mountains sunk below the seaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    aaronsedge wrote:
    The whole thing doesn't take place in the Pacific. All the trailers for it said they are nazi zombies.
    The Russian campaign takes place in Berlin.

Has anything about DLC for l4d been released? Like new maps planned or anything?

I stand corrected, I didn't realize it followed the Russian campaign as well. I really haven't been following the development too closely. Still I have been talking this game up for several weeks now, and all the sudden everyone decides that CoD is more important. I think it's the ranking system, something to do with e-peen size.

Suicide Slyde on
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So,downloading the demo for 360 from the German Marketplace and I had to chuckle at the "info":

"This game rocks! Buy it!!"

That's not very professionell, but seriously appropriate.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • DomhnallDomhnall Minty D. Vision! ScotlandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Left 4 Dead Demo Available on Steam
    92 minutes overdue

D:

Domhnall on
    Xbox Live - Minty D Vision
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    Origin/BF3 - MintyDVision
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

No, have y... Aw sod it, we've run the entire script into the ground several times over by now.

Although "THEY'RE COMING OUT OF THE WALLS!" probably won't get tired anytime soon.

And a day in the Marine Corp is like a day on a farm.

subedii on
  • TrevorTrevor Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So, I'm downloading the 360 public demo and I figure I would rather play with some of you guys than with the unwashed Live masses. Anyone can feel free to hit me up, I'll probably be playing within the next couple hours when it finishes downloading.

Trevor on
    edited November 2008
    Trevor wrote: »
    So, I'm downloading the 360 public demo and I figure I would rather play with some of you guys than with the unwashed Live masses. Anyone can feel free to hit me up, I'll probably be playing within the next couple hours when it finishes downloading.

There's a gamertag group for 360 players. Info's in the op.

subedii on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008

And a day in the Marine Corp is like a day on a farm.

Every meal a banquet! Every paycheque a fortune!

I love the corps!

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Domhnall wrote: »
    92 minutes overdue

D:

I think we've all forgotten this

Valvetimescale.jpg

HerrCron on
    sig.gif
  • TrevorTrevor Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Trevor wrote: »

There's a gamertag group for 360 players. Info's in the op.

Yeah, but I figured I won't ask for a space in the group until I decide that I want to buy the game. If it's anything like the COD4 group space will be at a premium and I don't want to be the dick that gets on the list for the demo but never buys the game.

Trevor on
    edited November 2008
    Domhnall wrote: »
    92 minutes overdue

D:

I think we've all forgotten this

Valvetimescale.jpg

It's possible that people raised their expectations when Valve inexplicably released the pre-order demo on time.

I think they're just screwing with us now.

subedii on
  • FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I'm still waiting for the multi-core enhancements for the Source engine that were talked about like 2 years ago.

Just sayin'.

Fawst on
  • YorkerYorker Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Downloading the 360 demo now, hoping to see some of you guys on.

Yorker on
    76561198037322631.png
  • angrylinuxgeekangrylinuxgeek Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Fawst wrote: »
    I'm still waiting for the multi-core enhancements for the Source engine that were talked about like 2 years ago.

Just sayin'.

not sure what ones you are talking about, but multi-core enhancements are enabled by default in L4D.

there are a few other ones that aren't stable yet that you can google for.

angrylinuxgeek on
    sQwJu.png
    edited November 2008
    Fawst wrote: »

Just sayin'.

not sure what ones you are talking about, but multi-core enhancements are enabled by default in L4D.

there are a few other ones that aren't stable yet that you can google for.

Multi core isn't stable for me in Left 4 Dead, I had to turn it off just to keep the game from stuttering. Might try enabling it again now since they've had a few patches, hopefully they've fixed it by now.

subedii on
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Hate to be that guy, but is the 360 demo out in the U.S?

Kyougu on
  • minigunwielderminigunwielder __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    Place your bets guys:

a.So much demand they anticipate server crash and are getting new boxes/lines?

b.fucking with us?

c.security on the page is fucked all to hell and valve is slowly being DDOS'd by our refreshing?

minigunwielder on
  • RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    Merry Christmas, this thing takes up 8 gigs of space? Ooh, I'm a-thinkin' my poor laptop won't handle the strain.

I'm still a little puzzled by how a game so seemingly limited can cost so much. I mean, TF2 was a whopping twenty dollars and it looks practically bottomless compared to this game.

Rust on
  • YorkerYorker Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Holy fuuuccckkk, this download is too slow.

Yorker on
    76561198037322631.png
    edited November 2008
    Rust wrote: »
    Merry Christmas, this thing takes up 8 gigs of space? Ooh, I'm a-thinkin' my poor laptop won't handle the strain.

I'm still a little puzzled by how a game so seemingly limited can cost so much. I mean, TF2 was a whopping twenty dollars and it looks practically bottomless compared to this game.

Left 4 dead is a full release. It gets priced around the same as all full releases.

Domhnall on
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Yorker wrote: »

Probably because half the internet is trying to get it.

People said the same thing about the demo when it originally released, but when I snagged it that evening, it came in at something approaching 1mbps.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

I thought the same thing for quite a while, but then I read this.

Icemopper on
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

TF2 shipped with 6 maps. This is shipping with 20. I know, that's probably not reason enough for you, but it's the truth.

Peewi on
    edited November 2008
    Icemopper wrote: »

Hmm, yes, that's a very fascinating press release right there. "Exhilarating and exhausting," you say? My word.

I'm kidding, really. The game looks worth the purchase. But I doubt I'll be getting it anytime soon, or at least before deleting the vast majority of my TF2 files. Those things alone are taking up over half my hard drive.

Rust on
  • HaikiraHaikira UKRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Forar wrote: »
    Yorker wrote: »

Probably because half the internet is trying to get it.

People said the same thing about the demo when it originally released, but when I snagged it that evening, it came in at something approaching 1mbps.

Whats funny is, i couldn't be downloading this thing any faster.

Haikira on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN:Hakira__
  • minigunwielderminigunwielder __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    Also, a minimum of 1000 lines of dialogue per character.

minigunwielder on
  • angrylinuxgeekangrylinuxgeek Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Hmm, yes, that's a very fascinating press release right there. "Exhilarating and exhausting," you say? My word.

I'm kidding, really. The game looks worth the purchase. But I doubt I'll be getting it anytime soon, or at least before deleting the vast majority of my TF2 files. Those things alone are taking up over half my hard drive.

TF2 takes up over half your hard drive o_O

I think it may be time to upgrade.

angrylinuxgeek on
    sQwJu.png
    edited November 2008
    Oh, and I assume that going mic-less in a game like this is absolutely verboten as well. Mostly because my muteness could cause trouble even in TF2, and that was as a fairly competent solo player. Left 4 Dead's philosophy seems to be "stick together or die alone."

Rust on
  • mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    What no.
    Oh, and I assume that going mic-less in a game like this is absolutely verboten as well. Mostly because my muteness could cause trouble even in TF2, and that was as a fairly competent solo player. Left 4 Dead's philosophy seems to be "stick together or die alone."
    Yeah, it is 2008, get with the times sonny.

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • DeadlySherpaDeadlySherpa Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

DeadlySherpa on
    tf2_sig.png
    edited November 2008

I should rephrase that. Counting all the map packs, updates, GCF files and so forth, TF2 takes up...let me see...about 10 gigabytes. The game itself is fairly slim.

I'm probably going to invest in an external hard drive for Christmas, but even then I think my laptop's memory space is pretty robust for a portable.

Rust on
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Maybe there'll be more in the full game, but in the demo there's 960 voice files for Louis and 986 for Bill. There could be more in the full game, but that's not a thousand.

Peewi on
    edited November 2008

You can always see the outline of your allies even when through walls and even have an aura around them. Also if they're vomited on or being pounced on by a Hunter or grabbed by a Smoker a warning thing comes up on the screen. The characters also have a hell of a lot of dialogue from what I've seen and comment on nearly everything.

A mic would probably help though.

Domhnall on
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    edited November 2008

I should rephrase that. Counting all the map packs, updates, GCF files and so forth, TF2 takes up...let me see...about 10 gigabytes. The game itself is fairly slim.

I'm probably going to invest in an external hard drive for Christmas, but even then I think my laptop's memory space is pretty robust for a portable.
    You don't want to play games over an external hard drive. You seriously only have 20gb of space?

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Peewi wrote: »

Maybe there'll be more in the full game, but in the demo there's 960 voice files for Louis and 986 for Bill. There could be more in the full game, but that's not a thousand.

Of course there will be more in the full game. Just add the lines about the actual story for future missions, like how they talk about going to the subway station, and you'll probably hit 1,000 lines.

Inquisitor on
    edited November 2008
    mugginns wrote: »

You don't want to play games over an external hard drive. You seriously only have 20gb of space?

Nah, I overestimated. 37.1. Excluding Windows updates and other vital stuff like that, you could probably say that leaves me with between 25-30 gigs for other things.

I'm not really much of a PC gamer. Beyond TF2 and other Valve stuff, older games like Painkiller and whatever niche projects I can get my hands on (World of Goo YAAAAY), I stick to consoles for the big-graphics games. I don't have any need to keep my hardware updated for gaming's sake.

Rust on
  • ZeonZeon Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Ok man, i just played the 360 demo... we got onto the street and the zombies swarmed me, so i spun around with my automatic hand gun to try and kill them, but i just ended up shooting all the cars instead.... that was awesome.

Is there voice chat in this though? I was talking but theres no indication that anyone else can hear me. Im thinking maybe not because the characters talk alot anyway, so maybe theyve disabled it? But i thought all live titles had to incorporate voice chat.

Zeon on
    btworbanner.jpg
    Check out my band, click the banner.
  • elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Is the demo up? Or are people talking about the 360 download? I'm not seeing it on Steam.

elevature on
    edited November 2008
    Zeon wrote: »
    Ok man, i just played the 360 demo... we got onto the street and the zombies swarmed me, so i spun around with my automatic hand gun to try and kill them, but i just ended up shooting all the cars instead.... that was awesome.

Is there voice chat in this though? I was talking but theres no indication that anyone else can hear me. Im thinking maybe not because the characters talk alot anyway, so maybe theyve disabled it? But i thought all live titles had to incorporate voice chat.
    If you were playing with pubs it is likely they didn't have their mics on.

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    This is the kind of thing that happens daily in this game. It's just that awesome.
    http://www.justin.tv/clip/d3e67db6e59

If that's the kind of thing that happens "daily" I will regret owning this game. If I wanted to hear the squeals of prepubescent boys being horribly violated, I'd hang out at a church.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
This discussion has been closed.