As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Need advice: Custom build websites

RialeRiale I'm a little slowRegistered User regular
Hiya.

I have a friend who wants a new computer very badly. I have spoken to him at length and for a variety of reasons he will absolutely never build his own computer (or even let me put one together for him). However, he still wants to get a pretty good gaming rig.

He's got about 1.5k to spend and the way he wants to go is to order from one of those websites out there that lets you select the parts, they put it together and ship it to you.

I believe the website he was talking about was ibuypower.com ? not entirely sure. Regardless, as I have no experience with any of these custom building sites, I was hoping one of the folks here might have a suggestion of a good site to use, or any opinions/things to be wary about when ordering from them. I'm going to look at whatever build he chooses on to make sure it's not horrible (he's not too computer-hardware-literate) but I don't know if there are any other catches I should be aware of.

I was going to post this in the build thread but, well, it's a little different. Any help?

33c9nxz.gif
Steam | XBL: Elazual | Last.fm
Riale on

• Options
    WetsunWetsun Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    My brother used http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/ for his wife's PC, and seems to be fairly happy with it.

Shame he won't let you build it though. The PC I built for ~1000 would have been ~1400 on that site.

Wetsun on
    XBL/Steam: Wetsun
  • Options
    archonwarparchonwarp Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Ibuypower is pretty good. My friend has a really nice gaming-capable 15.4" laptop from them and he loves it. I think that it's a pretty reasonable way to go if you don't mind paying the small premium they charge.

archonwarp on
    873342-1.png