As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Movin' on up! to the new Fallout thread.

1525354555658»

• freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    freakish light on
  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Did you know that Yao Guai avoid land mines? I didn't know that Yao Guai can spot land mines.

I set up five land mines, shot the Yao Guai in the head, he ran at me, went around the land mines and proceeded to violate my ass.

DanHibiki on
  • Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Fairchild wrote: »
    Yao Guai definitely make you appreciate that Railgun/Sniper/High Luck in VATS combo.

I don't know, I never had a single problem with a Yao Guai. In fact, pretty much no animal on the open wastelands ever gave me any issue. Deathclaws are another matter, but seriously everything is a breeze if you've picked up-

(no story spoilers)
    Charon as a follower. Seriously, that guy is a motherfucking badass. He can hit anything at max range with his combat shotgun and it kills shit dead. Nothing ever sneaks up on us because he sees it coming and starts firing before I've even located the red slash mark on my compass.

I kept him around through the entire game, and also had Dogmeat for awhile before he mysteriously disappeared in the wasteland and then I received a 'Dogmeat has died' message moments later. I had grown tired of reloading for that mutt so finally just left him dead and continued on with Charon.

Toxic Pickle on
  • HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I think I'm going to have to try and get this on the PC. Despite the fact that I'm more comfortable playing games on consoles, I'm sick of having NPCs just vanish, never to be heard from again.

Case in point, I just realized last night that I haven't seen the Sherrif in Megaton in...a very long time. By all accounts in this (and past) threads, he's probably fallen to his death or fell through the world or some shit. Given that I'm already level 20 and didn't take the Lawbringer perk, I'm SOL in getting a duster now. Fuckin' A.

Halfmex on
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Halfmex wrote: »
    Everything sneaks up on you in this game, because it makes nary a fucking sound until it's right on top of you. I hated that in Morrowind and Oblivion, and I hate it just as much in Fallout 3. It's especially annoying when you're stopped for a second to get your bearings and get mauled by a deathclaw. I mean, come on. Something that size moving that fast should make some kind of sound.
    you just have to listen out for the ambient sounds.... at least indoors but Yao Guai seem to only make sounds when they attack. Deathclaws have been a pushover since I can see them halfway across the field.

I don't really bother with spinning around since I usually get pings on stuff in front of me across the entire visual field. I've had it ping baddies through buildings in DC. Or different floors indoors...

Hell, I owned the Yao Guai den. but outdoors... they just... do it.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I don't know, I never had a single problem with a Yao Guai. In fact, pretty much no animal on the open wastelands ever gave me any issue. Deathclaws are another matter, but seriously everything is a breeze if you've picked up-

(no story spoilers)
    Charon as a follower. Seriously, that guy is a motherfucking badass. He can hit anything at max range with his combat shotgun and it kills shit dead. Nothing ever sneaks up on us because he sees it coming and starts firing before I've even located the red slash mark on my compass.

I kept him around through the entire game, and also had Dogmeat for awhile before he mysteriously disappeared in the wasteland and then I received a 'Dogmeat has died' message moments later. I had grown tired of reloading for that mutt so finally just left him dead and continued on with Charon.
    See, and reading stuff like this is exactly why I took him as a follower, but he sucked ASS for me for some reason. Yeah, he's fine for distance fights, but every so often he'd ditch his weapon and start meleeing shit and get himself killed. Or he'd charge right into a group of things with his gun drawn and get himself killed. Or he'd charge a Behemoth...and get himself killed. "More balls than brains" is the best way I could describe him. I finally, after having to reload the game for the squillionth time, told him to pack his shit and get the fuck back to where he came from because I was tired of protecting him.

Halfmex on
    edited November 2008
    Everything sneaks up on you in this game, because it makes nary a fucking sound until it's right on top of you. I hated that in Morrowind and Oblivion, and I hate it just as much in Fallout 3. It's especially annoying when you're stopped for a second to get your bearings and get mauled by a deathclaw. I mean, come on. Something that size moving that fast should make some kind of sound.
    you just have to listen out for the ambient sounds.... at least indoors but Yao Guai seem to only make sounds when they attack. Deathclaws have been a pushover since I can see them halfway across the field.

I don't really bother with spinning around since I usually get pings on stuff in front of me across the entire visual field. I've had it ping baddies through buildings in DC. Or different floors indoors...

Hell, I owned the Yao Guai den. but outdoors... they just... do it.
    Maybe I need to turn the music down more or something (though I already have all other sounds maxed), but out in the open, I literally don't hear anything until it's at most four or five feet from me, if that. I mean, sure, deathclaws aren't a problem if you can spot them (and there's only one of them), but when they get the drop on you (and they seem to do that to me a lot), it's pain city.

Halfmex on
  • NickleNickle Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Wait.

Yao Gui are tough creatures to kill?

This is news to me. In my experience, they're easier to kill than giant scorpions, which are the toughest enemies I've encountered aside from deathclaws and behemoths (obviously).

And I swear I'm not trying to be snarky, here.

OK, maybe a little snarky.

Nickle on
    Xbox/PSN/NNID/Steam: NickleDL | 3DS: 0731-4750-6906
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Nickle wrote: »
    Wait.

This is news to me.

Hunting Rifle + VATS = dead Yao Guai in my game.

Maybe I'm just fighting the babies? Are the angry mama yao guais tougher?

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Nickle wrote: »
    Wait.

This is news to me.

Hunting Rifle + VATS = dead Yao Guai in my game.

Maybe I'm just fighting the babies? Are the angry mama yao guais tougher?

It's not that they're hard to kill, it's just that they are mysteriously able to sneak up on you. Making the fight require more than just one shot. :p

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
    edited November 2008
    I don't think it's necessarily that they're tough to kill, so much as it is that

A) they're fast
    B) they hit hard
    C) they're often not alone

Most of the stuff in the game can be picked off from a distance easily (except for giant radscorpions). But when they get up in your grill, it's bad times.

Edit: beaten, sorta

Halfmex on
  • NickleNickle Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I don't think it's necessarily that they're tough to kill, so much as it is that

A) they're fast
    B) they hit hard
    C) they're often not alone

Most of the stuff in the game can be picked off from a distance easily (except for giant radscorpions). But when they get up in your grill, it's bad times.

Edit: beaten, sorta

Ah, I've never had that happen to me. All the ones I've come across came at me in plain sight, and never got closer than 10 yards. Might as well be mole rats.

Nickle on
    Xbox/PSN/NNID/Steam: NickleDL | 3DS: 0731-4750-6906
  • Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

(no story spoilers)

See, and reading stuff like this is exactly why I took him as a follower, but he sucked ASS for me for some reason. Yeah, he's fine for distance fights, but every so often he'd ditch his weapon and start meleeing shit and get himself killed. Or he'd charge right into a group of things with his gun drawn and get himself killed. Or he'd charge a Behemoth...and get himself killed. "More balls than brains" is the best way I could describe him. I finally, after having to reload the game for the squillionth time, told him to pack his shit and get the fuck back to where he came from because I was tired of protecting him.

What system do you have the game for? Mine is the 360 version... is it maybe programmed differently from the PS3 or the PC? Because in my game, he's completely unstoppable. Yes, he does pull out his knife whenever he hears something and isn't sure where it is (usually if it's on a different floor or something), but whenever the action started, that shotgun was out and he was blasting away.

Even NukaLurks couldn't take him down. I swear, I don't know how many times I thought 'oh shit, I'm gonna have to reload' but nope... nothing could kill that son of a bitch. At least, not faster than he and I could kill them.

Of course, I've seen people say the same thing about Dogmeat... how unstoppable he is and what a great tank he turned out to be. Sure, he did OK as a tank against raiders, but as soon as Deathclaws and NukaLurks showed up, Dogmeat was dead in 3 seconds flat and it got ooooold.

Toxic Pickle on
    edited November 2008
    What system do you have the game for? Mine is the 360 version... is it maybe programmed differently from the PS3 or the PC? Because in my game, he's completely unstoppable. Yes, he does pull out his knife whenever he hears something and isn't sure where it is (usually if it's on a different floor or something), but whenever the action started, that shotgun was out and he was blasting away.

Even NukaLurks couldn't take him down. I swear, I don't know how many times I thought 'oh shit, I'm gonna have to reload' but nope... nothing could kill that son of a bitch. At least, not faster than he and I could kill them.

Of course, I've seen people say the same thing about Dogmeat... how unstoppable he is and what a great tank he turned out to be. Sure, he did OK as a tank against raiders, but as soon as Deathclaws and NukaLurks showed up, Dogmeat was dead in 3 seconds flat and it got ooooold.
    360 here too. I guess I'm just unlucky. It's funny you mentioned the NukaLurks, those were actually the "last straw" for me because he ran into a completely different room and got mobbed by three of them, and since they were all facing him, I couldn't do any kind of respectable damage and get them off of him in time.

And the most frustrating thing was that this was after I told him to "stay put" while I scouted the area. He just always had this insane deathwish. Star Paladin Cross had much better survival instincts (as well as a plasma rifle and plenty of ammo that I gave her), so she did quite a bit better. But I'll never take Charon's "lemme holster my gun, pull out the ol' combat knife and see what's in this dark room" ass again.

Halfmex on
  • NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Where do you guys get all of these companions? I have only been able to get Dogmeat and I've been to quite a few places so far. I've only done the first GNR quest in the storyline though so far, that could be it. Any hints would be appreciated though.

Nitsua on
  • AshendarkAshendark Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Nitsua wrote: »
    Where do you guys get all of these companions? I have only been able to get Dogmeat and I've been to quite a few places so far. I've only done the first GNR quest in the storyline though so far, that could be it. Any hints would be appreciated though.

You get at least 2 companions for following the main quest but they're closer to the end of the game and one of them depends on if you help them out or not.

Ashendark on
    Ashendark.gif
  • thorpethorpe Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The hell is a NukaLurk? Or is this new fashioned slang for Mirelurk Kings?

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    thorpe wrote: »
    The hell is a NukaLurk? Or is this new fashioned slang for Mirelurk Kings?

Nuka-Cola plant.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Man, looking at earlier pages, you guys are wussies at melee. I just Did my first playthrough all melee (used one mini-nuke at that story point). Even at turrets I would run up and jump attack to hit the turret while it blasted me. If someone's shooting you you duck behind something and they run up to you and VATS bam they're dead.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • skaceskace Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    What the hell is the purpose of shalebridge?

skace on
    http://picasaweb.google.com/skacer | Shiren:5413-0147-4655
    steam_sig.png
  • ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So, errr, ran across my first
    enclave mind-controlled deathclaw
    today.
    What. the. Fuck. That was seriously the only moment I've just went D: and died.

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    New Thread is That Way ->

Houn on