As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Burning the midnight [WotLK release].

• LaurlunaLaurluna Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Reciept in hand for fully-paid CE of WotLK from Gamestop. Will be waiting outside said Gamestop at 11:30 tomorrow night.

The Burning Crusade release wasn't that terrible, if memory serves me. I was leveling a new Paladin though, so that might have something to do with it. A Warlock and some buddies had me out of the BE area in a hurry though.

We'll see how well Northrend holds up. Worst case, grind the hell outta' some level 70-71 mobs in Outlands while waiting.

Not that I care though, seeing as how I don't go back to work until next Wednesday. I have all the time in the world...

Laurluna on
    Being casually elitist in WoW since 2005.
    First Blood 85 Priest 80 Mage 85 Paladin 83 Druid 80 DK 85 Huntard 85 Shaman
    "Tardo Wan" sounds like a Jedi that required 436 years to train and then killed himself by looking into his lightsaber while turning it on."
  • TheUnsane1TheUnsane1 PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Beren wrote: »
    Why is everyone convinced the servers will be so unstable? Release night of BC I got to 62 over 14 or so hours with no server problems at all.

Apparently they're getting all those server issues out today. Errrrrghachievementfarmingneeds.

May I ask what server this is? I believe initially my server was fine (shattered hand) then come around 3pm est the following day the server was down more then up.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Wavechaser wrote: »
    Dyscord wrote: »
    This reminds me, I need to go check 7-11s today.

:lol:

Ah yes, thanks for reminding me! Another option.

Oh shit, yeah.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Anyone in beta know how much xp dailies give in WotLK? If I stock up 25 Isle of QD quests (among others), can I get just turn those in for 10k+ XP and move on to Northrend or is the XP negligible for these types of quests?

KVW on
  • CharusCharus Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Why is everyone convinced the servers will be so unstable? Release night of BC I got to 62 over 14 or so hours with no server problems at all.

Apparently they're getting all those server issues out today. Errrrrghachievementfarmingneeds.

Experience. Emerald Dream has almost never escaped from a major patch or release unscathed, no reason to expect this one to be any different.

Charus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MgcwMgcw Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Stop by 7-11, buy WotLK get one Blowbo free.

Mgcw on
  • rizriz Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Tomanta wrote: »
    I'm starting to get worried, Amazon told me I'd get the CE on release day but it hasn't shipped yet. Of course, it could ship tomorrow and I'd still get it by the 13th (regular shipping is usually 1 day w/Amazon...) but I'd feel better if it was already in the mail.

I don't know about anyone else (I live in a major city) but for the past eight months or so Amazon has been delivering stuff to me via some no-name courier service instead of UPS or USPS like they used to use. This means I worry about sketchy delivery guys and I have to have stuff delivered to my office because they can't just leave packages inside my building like the USPS guy can, but it also means that I get my "Your order has shipped" e-mail from Amazon a mere few hours before my stuff arrives. I'm hoping to see a "Your order has shipped" tomorrow night or Thursday morning when I get to work, but we'll see....

riz on
  • WavechaserWavechaser Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I'm still holding out hope to find a CE version on the release date for places that don't take pre-orders (like wal-mart).

Anyone else know of stores with the same kind of setup? I'm in San Diego and having a hell of a time finding a 24 hour walmart.

Wavechaser on
  • CowPhuCowPhu Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    try Target, I walked in and got my CE of BC day of lauch

CowPhu on
    http://computerhelpforum.org for all the geeky talk that gets you hot.
  • DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    CowPhu wrote: »

I should probably check in on Target.

When I went to walmart for the fable 2 release (yeah, I know, not that great a game, but I was bored that night), they didn't even have it yet, and I had to go to Gamestop nearby.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I figure I'll go out, hunt around a few places to see if there's any CEs about and then probably settle for a normal edition.

-SPI- on
    edited November 2008
    CowPhu wrote: »

I'll check it out. Thanks.

Wavechaser on
  • omega71omega71 Too old for a title, too ornery to care. Sacramento, CaliRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    A buddy and I already have 4 CE's prepaid.

We are still camping to make sure we actually get them.

omega71 on
    edited November 2008
    I never got a CE for the other ones, and I wouldn't really be disappointed if I don't get one for this.

Unless of course, it came with a bobblehead murloc or something.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • TachTach Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I'm still holding out hope to find a CE version on the release date for places that don't take pre-orders (like wal-mart).

Anyone else know of stores with the same kind of setup? I'm in San Diego and having a hell of a time finding a 24 hour walmart.
    I know there's a Fry's Electronics down near Mission Valley- you might call them and ask.

Tach on
  • DoomulonDoomulon Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I plan to go early by maybe an hour to stay ahead in the line. It's bad enough that they are the only place in the area doing midnight releases besides Walmart (no 7-11s here), but my local Gamestop is also notoriously ill-prepared and usually the process drags on for way longer than I would like.

I just wanna grab my CE WotLK and go, screw all the party favors and cosplay. I swear I'll deck the first person I see coming dressed as a WoW character...

Doomulon on
  • TachTach Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I wouldn't mind some hot elf chick action. I'd bring a camera, but I HIGHLY doubt anyone here is that nerdy.

Tach on
    edited November 2008
    Doomulon wrote: »
    I plan to go early by maybe an hour to stay ahead in the line. It's bad enough that they are the only place in the area doing midnight releases besides Walmart (no 7-11s here), but my local Gamestop is also notoriously ill-prepared and usually the process drags on for way longer than I would like.

I just wanna grab my CE WotLK and go, screw all the party favors and cosplay. I swear I'll deck the first person I see coming dressed as a WoW character...

Are you asking for someone to post that pic of the fat warlock cosplayer?

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Beyond NormalBeyond Normal Lord Phender Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    MAKE IT SO!

edit: GIS'ing "warlock cosplay" gives me:
    2587445412_d9b6dbb206.jpg?v=0
    W020070831431504703522.jpg

There was a picture of who you're thinking of, but I get the good ole 404.

Beyond Normal on
    Battle.net: Phender#1108 -- Steam: Phender -- PS4: Phender12 -- Origin: Phender01
    edited November 2008
    Now that I think about it, maybe i'll just say fuck the CE and get the normal edition. I never use pets anyways, so it would really be kind of pointless.

Also I'm still super bitter at Blizzard/Gamestop, for stopping all pre-orders of the CE 2 days after they announced it. It's like, fuck you assholes. 2 days is utter bullshit.

Wavechaser on
  • Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I got the CE for Warcraft III, WoW, and BC, yet the WotLK CE doesn't seem to have anything that really interests me. I just wish they would announce a digital download so I can get some sleep that night instead of driving out to the store at midnight.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • DoomulonDoomulon Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Now that I think about it, maybe i'll just say fuck the CE and get the normal edition. I never use pets anyways, so it would really be kind of pointless.

Also I'm still super bitter at Blizzard/Gamestop, for stopping all pre-orders of the CE 2 days after they announced it. It's like, fuck you assholes. 2 days is utter bullshit.

Eh, yeah i was thinking that too, but I missed out on the CE for original WoW and BC, so I figured I'd nab it this time. If anything it will amuse me with the extras while I deal with death knight withdrawl pains from the inevitable downtime the expansion will bring.

Doomulon on
  • Beyond NormalBeyond Normal Lord Phender Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I find that getting the regular one makes me happier because I then have money to go buy other stuff with zero impact on my fun.

Go go budget shopping!

Beyond Normal on
    Battle.net: Phender#1108 -- Steam: Phender -- PS4: Phender12 -- Origin: Phender01
    edited November 2008
    I don't know why, but it really irks me that i'm basically trying to throw money at a company for their product and they are basically telling me to fuck off.

The hilarious part is that I'm sure there will be tons of CE copies floating around after-the-fact, pretty much confirming that Gamestop/Blizzard are just a bunch of douches for stopping pre-orders early.

So yeah, 7-11 here I come.

Edit: Why do I keep saying "CE Editions"? /wrath

Wavechaser on
    edited November 2008
    Got mine.

MuddBudd on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Having been to a few nearby 7-11s and not seen it (or even a display for it, like they did with madden and GoW2), I'm just going to go out and buy a copy thursday evening like a civilized human being.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • DacDac Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Having been to a few nearby 7-11s and not seen it (or even a display for it, like they did with madden and GoW2), I'm just going to go out and buy a copy thursday evening like a civilized human being.

We play WoW and talk about it a lot on message boards.

I think we should just drop that particular facade.

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Look, I'm the guy who drove around to like four 7-11s and asked their confused, indian clerks for an advance copy. I believe I relinquish my claim to being a normal person.

I just like sleeping.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Edit: Why do I keep saying "CE Editions"? /wrath
    Obviously your mind is being twisted in to retard mode. I recommend you take a break, like me! I don't care what they do at all anymore!

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
    edited November 2008

They probably learned their lessons from GoW2. I'm guessing they got smacked with a fat fine by selling them early.

Wavechaser on
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    riz wrote: »
    Tomanta wrote: »
    I'm starting to get worried, Amazon told me I'd get the CE on release day but it hasn't shipped yet. Of course, it could ship tomorrow and I'd still get it by the 13th (regular shipping is usually 1 day w/Amazon...) but I'd feel better if it was already in the mail.

I don't know about anyone else (I live in a major city) but for the past eight months or so Amazon has been delivering stuff to me via some no-name courier service instead of UPS or USPS like they used to use. This means I worry about sketchy delivery guys and I have to have stuff delivered to my office because they can't just leave packages inside my building like the USPS guy can, but it also means that I get my "Your order has shipped" e-mail from Amazon a mere few hours before my stuff arrives. I'm hoping to see a "Your order has shipped" tomorrow night or Thursday morning when I get to work, but we'll see....

Amazon ships USPS for me here (they used courier services for me when I was in IL). I just looked up my Best Buy and they don't have a midnight opening, so if I don't have a shipped message before I leave for work Thursday morning I'll stop by there to try and get one. I was really hoping to have it tomorrow so I could play a little with a midnight opening, but that doesn't look likely. At least I'll probably have a few WoW TCG boxes to open :)

Tomanta on
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Charus wrote: »

Experience. Emerald Dream has almost never escaped from a major patch or release unscathed, no reason to expect this one to be any different.
    Yep. Hellscream was really bad for the first few days of TBC during prime time (the only time I can play on weekdays).
    Gabe wrote:
    Plenty of people mail me and tell me that on their server there’s no wait or maybe I should have picked Horde but that doesn’t help me. It’s like telling a guy in a wheelchair that your legs work just fine and what’s his problem?

forty on
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

SO MANY PREORDERS LOL :3 Gamestop, despite their business model, hates money.

The Muffin Man on
    edited November 2008

Their business model is to, ideally, never sell anyone a new game, ever (and if they have to sell you a new game, to ensure that you fully regret the decision). In the age of digital downloads, big box stores and online ordering, I cannot ever imagine going back to an EB or Gamestop to buy a new release except as the absolute last resort.

Charus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DacDac Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Their business model is to, ideally, never sell anyone a new game, ever (and if they have to sell you a new game, to ensure that you fully regret the decision). In the age of digital downloads, big box stores and online ordering, I cannot ever imagine going back to an EB or Gamestop to buy a new release except as the absolute last resort.

Unfortunately, I can't stand the idea of ordering online and digital downloads. Part of it is that my DSL is woefully mediocre, but also because the wait is simply agonizing. Shipment tracking is possibly the most evil thing ever invented by man. If it exists for the package I've ordered, I check back. Hourly. Sometimes every couple minutes. For days. The question of whether my package has left shipping station 4 in Atlanta yet so that it can arrive at station 5 in the morning to be on a truck to be delivered to my house is a question that haunts my restless dreams.

I will only order shit online as a last resort, and if at all possible NEXT DAY DELIVERY.

I much, MUCH prefer hoofing it for a half hour to the nearest gaming store and simply buying the damned thing. There's a visceral immediacy to clutching the package that you just shelled out real dollahs for close to your breast. When you get home, you can play it. You can even bust out the manual to peruse through on the walk home if you don't mind looking like a hopeless social reject.

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    My plan is still go to work and hope I can get one that night at lunch otherwise I wait for the online part to figure out time and ship it to me
    It comes out on the 13th I paid for one day shipping the 19th is not the next day

If I cannot get a copy at work the night it comes out then I have to waste six days o well I have alts to play with and level

Brainleech on
    edited November 2008
    Dac wrote: »

Unfortunately, I can't stand the idea of ordering online and digital downloads. Part of it is that my DSL is woefully mediocre, but also because the wait is simply agonizing. Shipment tracking is possibly the most evil thing ever invented by man. If it exists for the package I've ordered, I check back. Hourly. Sometimes every couple minutes. For days. The question of whether my package has left shipping station 4 in Atlanta yet so that it can arrive at station 5 in the morning to be on a truck to be delivered to my house is a question that haunts my restless dreams.

I will only order shit online as a last resort, and if at all possible NEXT DAY DELIVERY.

I much, MUCH prefer hoofing it for a half hour to the nearest gaming store and simply buying the damned thing. There's a visceral immediacy to clutching the package that you just shelled out real dollahs for close to your breast. When you get home, you can play it. You can even bust out the manual to peruse through on the walk home if you don't mind looking like a hopeless social reject.

I've never been a big fan of online ordering for exactly this reason (my cable's good enough for me to prefer digital downloads if they're offered, though), but games are mainstream enough these days that you don't need to be abused by a specialty game store when there are plenty of regular stores that will sell you what you want without any of the bullshit. The last game that I have ever pre-ordered was the Diablo 2 Expansion, and since then there hasn't been a game that I've wanted to buy that I couldn't walk into a Wal-Mart or Best Buy on release day and get off the shelf.

Charus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

If I could find a Best Buy or Circuit City (almost literally right next to each other) that did Pre-orders, I would, but they only do it for consoles and shit. But trust me. I hate having to resort to Gamestop for anything. But 9 times out of 10 it's the only way to guarantee a copy, as the Best Buy nearest me likes to be a bunch of dicks with their new releases (i.e setting out like 4 copies, then forcing you to talk to an employee and explaining in loud, clear english to him what SUPER. SMASH. BROTHERS. BRAWL is and no it's not for the PS3 and no it's not a rap album.)

The Muffin Man on
    edited November 2008

If I could find a Best Buy or Circuit City (almost literally right next to each other) that did Pre-orders, I would, but they only do it for consoles and shit. But trust me. I hate having to resort to Gamestop for anything. But 9 times out of 10 it's the only way to guarantee a copy, as the Best Buy nearest me likes to be a bunch of dicks with their new releases (i.e setting out like 4 copies, then forcing you to talk to an employee and explaining in loud, clear english to him what SUPER. SMASH. BROTHERS. BRAWL is and no it's not for the PS3 and no it's not a rap album.)

I've found myself in the same boat and decided to just start doing it over Amazon and to hell with the wait.

MuddBudd on
  • CripTonicCripTonic Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Why hello there Wrath enUS client downloader of legitness that downloads at 500+kb/second

Yes, I would like to install Wrath now so I don't have to after I stand out in the cold and wait in line with the other mouth breathing population who play this game. Can you simply let me purchase a CD online maybe? Thanks.

The last time I went to a "wow line" was on release day and there were about 30 people at EBGames... somehow I think the line tomorrow night will be longer :\

CripTonic on
    0liDg.png
This discussion has been closed.