As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Perfect World] A very pretty free MMO you should check out if you're into free stuff

1131415161719»

• PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Aldo wrote: »
    This might become a clusterfuck....There's like 20 different versions of the game out or almost out and if they're all going to be localized I will have to play with some Britons, Turks, Italians, Spaniards and Germans. I only speak proper English and I can understand some German.

If they /are/ going to localize it I will have to give up playing, because damn it I wouldn't be able to communicate with most people playing. Them Turks and Italians love them some MMOs you see and they don't speak English unless there is not a single other Turk or Italian in a 50 miles radius. :(

I got invited to group with a bunch of random people, just via invite, and in-game "help/attack" commands directed the run. Almost at the end of it, we stop to prep for a bigger battle ahead, I type something in English in groupchat, and get "german only u leave nau" /groupkick.

So I aggro'd a shit-ton of enemies, then used a bunch of movement buffs to sprint through my former group. Needless to say, the enemies lost interest in the fast-moving ranged class and proceeded to push in the shit of the former group mates. Thankfully the guy who could res/heal died first, so I got a bunch of tasty corpses to loot after about two minutes of laughter, then quit the server and appeared back in town.

Edit - Not on PW, another MMO.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I got invited to group with a bunch of random people, just via invite, and in-game "help/attack" commands directed the run. Almost at the end of it, we stop to prep for a bigger battle ahead, I type something in English in groupchat, and get "german only u leave nau" /groupkick.

So I aggro'd a shit-ton of enemies, then used a bunch of movement buffs to sprint through my former group. Needless to say, the enemies lost interest in the fast-moving ranged class and proceeded to push in the shit of the former group mates. Thankfully the guy who could res/heal died first, so I got a bunch of tasty corpses to loot after about two minutes of laughter, then quit the server and appeared back in town.

I've never had any bad experiences with Germans in MMOs, these must have been some gigantic douchebags. =/

Aldo on
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    This might become a clusterfuck....There's like 20 different versions of the game out or almost out and if they're all going to be localized I will have to play with some Britons, Turks, Italians, Spaniards and Germans. I only speak proper English and I can understand some German.

If they /are/ going to localize it I will have to give up playing, because damn it I wouldn't be able to communicate with most people playing. Them Turks and Italians love them some MMOs you see and they don't speak English unless there is not a single other Turk or Italian in a 50 miles radius. :(

Sounds like stuff I've done in Dark Age of Camelot. Glorious times those were.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    edited September 2008
    I've never had any bad experiences with Germans in MMOs, these must have been some gigantic douchebags. =/

The Nice Player : Gigantic Douchebag ratio is pretty bad on free MMOs, I've found.

PeregrineFalcon on
  • SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So you get removed from their group because you spoke in english, and you drag a bunch of mobs onto them?

I geuss you are right about that free mmo douchebag thing. You certainly fit that description.

Seg on
    edited September 2008
    Seg wrote: »
    So you get removed from their group because you spoke in english, and you drag a bunch of mobs onto them?

I geuss you are right about that free mmo douchebag thing. You certainly fit that description.

"So that's who that was"

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    edited September 2008
    I'll restate my current theory on asshattery in free MMOs here:

In general free online games attract two kinds of people: those too young to set up a monthly subscription and those too cheap to spend money on games.

Add these people into Gabriel's Greater Fuckwad Theory and there you are.

Aldo on
    edited September 2008
    Add those who can afford it but get no where because they're just big giant assholes to other people.

bowen on
    edited September 2008
    bowen wrote: »
    Add those who can afford it but get no where because they're just big giant assholes to other people.
    i can't imagine that being a large group. :P

Aldo on
    edited September 2008
    i can't imagine that being a large group. :P

You'd be absolutely surprised. Most can hold off until they get all their gear though. I've also found these people roll high numbers constantly and get geared quickly. Coincidence? You know the type "Man do I have to do MC? I just got my awesome orange Mace so I don't see why I should have to."

bowen on
    edited September 2008

"So that's who that was"

:lol:

Seg? Moar like Sieg Heil, amirite?

PeregrineFalcon on
  • SeeksSeeks Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'll restate my current theory on asshattery in free MMOs here:

In general free online games attract two kinds of people: those too young to set up a monthly subscription and those too cheap to spend money on games.

Add these people into Gabriel's Greater Fuckwad Theory and there you are.

I dunno, man. I've only met a couple dicks, and one of them was roleplaying.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
    edited September 2008

"So that's who that was"

About 8 years ago I was playing Asheron's Call, this was a game we paid a monthly subscription and there would be between 800 and 1800 people per server at any given time.

I ran into a number of assholes while playing, and a few of them tried wiping out my friends and I by dragging groups of mobs onto us.

Yes, them kicking you out because you didn't speak german was a bullshit move, but dragging a pack of mobs on them and then looting their shit was an even bigger bullshit move.

Seg on
    edited September 2008

"So that's who that was"

About 8 years ago I was playing Asheron's Call, this was a game we paid a monthly subscription and there would be between 800 and 1800 people per server at any given time.

I ran into a number of assholes while playing, and a few of them tried wiping out my friends and I by dragging groups of mobs onto us.

Yes, them kicking you out because you didn't speak german was a bullshit move, but dragging a pack of mobs on them and then looting their shit was an even bigger bullshit move.

"Reap what you sow."
    "Don't dish it out if you can't take it."
    "What goes around, comes around."

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cunt... me."

PeregrineFalcon on
    edited September 2008

"So that's who that was"

"Reap what you sow."

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cunt... me."

Yah they were douchebags, so you decided to be an even bigger douchbag.

Seg on
    edited September 2008

"So that's who that was"

"Reap what you sow."

Yah they were douchebags, so you decided to be an even bigger douchbag.

I'd say being a douchebag is fully justifiable when it's in retribution.

We can't all be Jesus.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
    edited September 2008
    So hey, being a Wing Elf is awesome. I get to fly to everywhere and when I see a resource node I can just make a dive for it and pull up just before I hit the ground.

Aldo on
    edited September 2008
    I know... I just got my flying sword, and the game just got twice as cool.

Attack me, will you, giant spider? Not if I FLY AWAY HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
    edited September 2008
    Seeks wrote: »
    I know... I just got my flying sword, and the game just got twice as cool.

Attack me, will you, giant spider? Not if I FLY AWAY HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    And you're not even on a PvP server. You can pull the same trick on PKers. :P

Aldo on
    edited September 2008
    About the ridiculous language filter:

On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 1:47 AM, PWE Customer Service Group <customerservice@perfectworldinc.com> wrote:

Hi there,

Thanks for your email.

This issue has been escalated for managerial review.

But for the time being, please allow me to answer some of your questions --

In regards to what you wrote below -
    * The words were added to the chat filter to prevent individuals from making slanderous comments towards other individuals using these terms.
    * The other terms mentioned are not used in such a fashion and therefore were allowed. If this changes in the future, these terms will also be added to the filter list.

And not being in a position of management, I cannot give you an ETA as to when or if your request will be obliged.

In response to how one would describe oneself as being homosexual without using the aforementioned terms, you do bring up a point. My personal suggestion might along the lines of, "an individual that is attracted to another individual of the same gender/sex." Somewhat drawn out, yes, but I think it more or less illustrates the point :)

Well, I hope this reply has helped. If you have any other suggestions or comments, please feel free to contact us again.

Thanks for taking the time to write,

PWE CS Team

Aldo on
    edited September 2008
    The big news from last night on the INT servers. They opened a second PvE server.

Seg on
    edited September 2008
    The big news from last night on the INT servers. They opened a second PvE server.
    We're still chilling on the PvP server, although I haven't been playing much. Atlantica Online is way too interesting at the moment.

Aldo on
    edited September 2008
    The PR guy I'm talking to is really trying his best now, but he's both understanding why the language filter they have is retarded AND protecting the ideas behind it:
    We just want to make sure that:

1. individuals don't use the terms "homo" or "gay" with negative connotations, and
    2. that individuals playing the game that are exposed to words like "homo" or "gay" don't perceive it as a negative term.

He said they will have to get approval of the Chinese mother organisation before they change anything so I'm not going to ask any more annoying questions, but I really wonder what kind of message they think they're telling the individuals if they are not allowed to call a homosexual a homosexual.

Aldo on
  • PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Also they released a snake mount which you can buy for 50 bucks. Why are people buying them?

Peas on
  • MidnightSGMidnightSG Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    *Knock on wood*

The community on my server, Heaven's tear has been wonderful so far (Lv 35+ish) Sure there is the occasional mad dash for an ore but that was in WoW, or any MMO.
    The people are generally friendly and My husband and i found a random lowbie guild with a husband and wife who also came from Warcraft and a few other nice people who are not 12 years old.

Just a few things bug me about the game so far...

1) The cluster fuck knows as Arc.
    ~a) They make you want to buy a mount so bad with the quests. Running back and forth person to person.
    ~b) The shops.... why is the AH there? why is there no shame selling Black Iron for 4k yet you buy it for 2k? Why are they Cats? Why are they holding plates? I'm confused.

2) The two player leveling system is a little harsh slicing exp in half if you wish to play the game with someone.

3) You can give them $10.00 for a mount or buy one in game for 2,000,000 coins.

Like i said the game itself is good so far, i hear it gets hard starting in the early 40s but so far so good, coming from a Mage/Blade master combo.
    I just don't see myself paying real life money for anything in it yet. If we had to/did i would have a whole lot more mean things to say about the game. But for playing it absolutely free of coast, probably the best aisan explosion game i have ever come across.

PS: The embracing is so delightfully cheesy it is the only way to travel!

Small edit: Aldo thank you so much for recommending this game, i found it by reading your MMO post. <3
    Great find!

MidnightSG on
  • JubehJubeh Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I just started this game and I guess I am having fun. I really just wanted to get a mount, but it looks like they cost way too much. ):

I started a bunch of characters, but I felt like I was leveling too slow until I started using the fox girl thing. She's a rape cannon. I'm really horrible at stat management and stuff, so I hope I don't mess everything up. I'm only level 10, though, so I think I have a really long way to go. Not sure how long it takes to get to level 30.

Anyway, I just got the taming skill and I was wondering what a good pet was for my level. If anyone wants to help a noob out.

Jubeh on
    edited October 2008
    At your level on my Venomancer I think I was using a random Wolf or something. But at 17 I switched to a Golem thing. I forget what the ingame name is, they can be found in the Human area. Been using that and leveling random things as I go. Not sure why I keep leveling other pets.

And yes, leveling as a Venomancer feels almost like cheating after struggling as a Barbarian or Cleric.

I am 24 now and still have over 8500health in my Guardian Charm. While on my Barbarian I had stopped playing him because I was about to use up all my Charm and didn't want to die on him. I got lucky and was able to buy some gold for 90k coin so bought him a Bronze Guadian Charm. Which will make me feel better when I play him next.

Seg on
  • xXLilCXxxXLilCXx Registered User new member
    edited November 2008
    for all those new PW players.... Werefox is the easiest class because u wont need a lot of potions as ur pet takes all the damage from mobs. I found that the only thing that motivated me to keep playing this game is because of the flying feature. It was awesome to get the flying device at lvl 30, but after that i had nothing else to look forward to... so... this game does get boring because of the demand to kill LOTS of monsters and to have difficult and long quests. Oops I was saying this all based on the Malaysia English version of PW.

xXLilCXx on
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So pardon my stupidity for a moment, but is anyone playing the US version? I want to try it but the thing with me and MMOs is, if there isn't anyone else I know interested in it I sort of fall off.

Goose! on
    edited November 2008
    Goose! wrote: »
    So pardon my stupidity for a moment, but is anyone playing the US version? I want to try it but the thing with me and MMOs is, if there isn't anyone else I know interested in it I sort of fall off.

I was playing it, but stopped for awhile because I decided to try Atlantica, and then Wrath of the Lich King came out and I haven't touched a free MMO since.

Seg on
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Yeah, I'm too poor for WoW. Anyone playing in Lost City server?

Goose! on
  • VolitorVolitor Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'm just starting. Any life in this one? Downloading now. I'm thinking of being a barbarian.

Volitor on
    I own face.
    edited December 2008
    Volitor wrote: »
    I'm just starting. Any life in this one? Downloading now. I'm thinking of being a barbarian.
    I know McKenzie still plays every now and again on the PvP server, but that's it.

Aldo on