As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Perry Bible Fellowship

SamSam Registered User regular
edited November 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse
This comic, which I am totally late to the party, I know, is making me think about humor and how it works more so than any comedy has in a while.
PBF131-Lord_Gloom.jpg

Something about the way he draws on archetypes so ingrained we don't even think about them and then turning them on their head. They often tend to be jokes that aren't particularly funny per se on their own, but when cloaked in over the top satire they sort of take on a new life. In this case, upon reflection I think it's the parchment styling of the speech bubbles that ultimately made me laugh and remember the strip.

That and the art style of course. There's something about the way this guy draws faces that elevates jokes that are Family-Guy level to something gripping and hilarious and worth calling art.

PBF166-Goodbye_Stanley.jpg

I like the immersion achieved by making it resembles something like Blondie. The joke is lame until you see that isn't the joke so much as the train going into the tunnel.

PBF174-Prank_Dragon.jpg

Funny enough without the reference to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow_River

I'm seriously in love with this stuff. This guy makes the unfunny funny, and I don't know if there's been anything else that has done that for me.

Sam on

• MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Unfortunately it hasn't updated in forever.
    PBF149-Svens_Revenge.jpg
    PBF177-Rodeo.jpg
    PBF094-Freaking_Vortex.gif
    PBF106-Billy_the_Bunny.jpg

Some of my other favorites include 'Zarflax' and 'Agels Caught' which are NSFW I gues.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The creator already said he's done with it, a while ago.

Sadly.

JamesKeenan on
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    According to Wikipedia, the creator said "I feel I owe it to myself and the Perry Bible Fellowship not to turn a joyful diversion into a long career", which is kind of a weird statement. I suppose he wants to move onto greater things, rather than spending a lot of time keeping this thing running.

Unfortunate in any case.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The artist was able to show more information in a single panel then almost any other artist I've seen. Just look at the Reset comic to see what I mean.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    PBF is my absolute favourite webcomic. It had a couple unfunny ones, but the funny more than make up for it.

SirUltimos on
  • MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Wait I thought I got the blowjob one until you said the tunnel is the joke. What did I miss?

And PBF is probably my favorite single webcomic.

MikeMan on
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    PBF227-Preserves.jpg

nexuscrawler on
  • geckahngeckahn Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    MikeMan wrote: »
    Wait I thought I got the blowjob one until you said the tunnel is the joke. What did I miss?

And PBF is probably my favorite single webcomic.

phallic symbolism. Think about it, what comes after the blowjob?

geckahn on
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    It is indeed a shame he's said he is done with this.
    PBF227-Preserves.jpg
    I don't like this one as it doesn't work. The seal pops the first time you open it to let you know it's still good. He's got it backwards. Or I'm really stupid. One of the two.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
    edited November 2008
    You're not stupid.

geckahn on
    edited November 2008
    Most of them pop anytime after you open it intially

meaning shes a whore

nexuscrawler on
  • TrusTrus Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    It is indeed a shame he's said he is done with this.
    PBF227-Preserves.jpg
    I don't like this one as it doesn't work. The seal pops the first time you open it to let you know it's still good. He's got it backwards. Or I'm really stupid. One of the two.

I thought he pressed the button, not that he was opening...her

Trus on
    qFN53.png
    edited November 2008
    ohhh, youre right. he just bops her pop spot.

geckahn on
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Oh, that must have been what he was going for. Still annoys me though.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    It made sense to me. I used to idly pop those things.

Sir Carcass on
  • LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008

I think the problem is that the fact that PB was popping the button wasn't very clear.

At first, I thought he was just brushing back the veil. Now I can see he's probably popping the spot, but only because that was pointed out to me.

LaOs on
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    LaOs wrote: »

I think the problem is that the fact that PB was popping the button wasn't very clear.

At first, I thought he was just brushing back the veil. Now I can see he's probably popping the spot, but only because that was pointed out to me.

He's brushing back the veil and accidentally puts pressure on the button, seeing that her seal had already been broken.

Sir Carcass on
  • LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    LaOs wrote: »

He's brushing back the veil and accidentally puts pressure on the button, seeing that her seal had already been broken.

Right, and now that it's been pointed out, I see it. Previous to that, it didn't look to me like his pinky was touching the lid.

LaOs on
  • DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2008
    do the ants dance do the ants dance

Dynagrip on
    edited November 2008
    sike

Sir Carcass on
  • NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    A dolphin!

Nerdgasmic on
  • SamSam Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I just noticed the treble cleff across the second panel in the PBJ one. Serves to underscore the jarring Pop.

Sam on
  • SamorisSamoris Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I've seen jars that say if the button is popped than the seal is broken. It's just showing that air has gotten into the jar and is now pushing the button on the lid upwards. The veil was holding the button down before so it wasn't immediately obvious, but once the veil was lifted the button popped back up again.

Samoris on
  • EndomaticEndomatic Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I only wish I could have the talent to come up with some of the stuff on PBF.

I am pretty sad it was stopped.

Endomatic on
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited November 2008
    Y'all are putting too much thought into the PBJ comic. It's just a play on the notion of a broken hymen. It doesn't matter if it doesn't precisely conform to food-based manufacturing realities.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Where the heck does the treble clef factor into the joke?

My absolute favorite of his is "Better Luck Next Time".

SithDrummer on
    edited November 2008
    Where the heck does the treble clef factor into the joke?

It doesn't. It just means he's singing. From an artistic perspective, one could argue that he put that in there to cause a more cacophonous discrepancy between the dialogue and the "pop" of the lid, which would underscore the attention to detail that he puts into his comics. But it's not part of the joke.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
    edited November 2008
    You'll note also that the male (pb) lacks a signifier of virginity.

geckahn on
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    An End to Gopher Trouble is the best
    PBF050-An_End_to_Gopher_Trouble.gif

Elendil on
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    geckahn wrote: »
    You'll note also that the male (pb) lacks a signifier of virginity.
    I bet he has one of those stay-fresh seals under his lid.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    This is actually the best comic of them all:

pbf152scorpytheforestfrcy7.gif

I like it because it describes a dystopian society of forest friends who torment an innocent scorpion by forcing it to kill.

Sarksus on
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    PBF076-Mountain_Dad.jpg

PBF130-Book_World.gif

PBF055-Dinosaur_Meteors.jpg

How have these not been posted yet? And yeah, it sucks that he quit. Although he did make a new comic after that, so maybe it's just going to be extremely few and far between rather than never.

moniker on
  • ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I've asked for the book for Christmas. I hope it is rad.

colsweeto.jpg

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    My whole family agrees this is our dad; thankfully mom divorced his face off.

PBF193-Fun_Bot.gif

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • TrusTrus Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    PBF037-Bear_Boy.gif

one of the best

Trus on
    qFN53.png
  • B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I didn't like his George Lucas approach of editing his works after they're created and posted, then pretending the original never existed.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
    edited November 2008
    PBF114-Mime_City.gif

nexuscrawler on
  • Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I've asked for the book for Christmas. I hope it is rad.

colsweeto.jpg

It is pretty rad. Has a couple of never published comics at the back.

It's still just stuff from the website of course, but it's nice to have around.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
    edited November 2008
    B:L wrote: »
    I didn't like his George Lucas approach of editing his works after they're created and posted, then pretending the original never existed.

Examples?

ElJeffe on
  • MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    B:L wrote: »

Que?

Medopine on