As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Wii] Core Games AOC - After October Conference - Games? GAMES!! [56k GTFO]

• Vangu VegroVangu Vegro Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Snork wrote: »
    Glal wrote: »
    You know, for a sentence there I thought you were being sarcastic...
    I thought he was being sarcastic until the end of the paragraph. In fact, I was pretty sure of it because of how obviously contradictory it was.

I can assure you, there wasn't a pixel of sarcasm in my post.

Vangu Vegro on
    In my PC: Ryzom, Diablo III, Naruto Shippuden UNSR, The Old Republic
    In my 3DS: Super Smash Bros, AC New Leaf
    Last game completed: Steamworld Dig
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Mblackwell wrote: »
    Holy crap, did anyone see the new Deadly Creatures shots on IGN? It may have been mentioned prior (I haven't kept track of the thread) but damn that's some nice eye candy.

Wow, that looks amazing. A scorpion fighting rats?

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Hmmm.
    I haven't played a skateboarding game since TH2, but Skate it is looking remarkably good, there.

Xagarath on
  • BigKevBigKev Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Skate It looks amazing.

BigKev on
    Steam ID : BigKev87
    edited November 2008
    The skating looks pretty decent with surprisingly good physics, but again this is the game which is supposed to be in a post-apocalyptic city where nobody is around except skaters who use it as a big park. Awful convenient, that.

Eh, but it looks fun anyway.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So I got Monster Lab from Gamefly, and holy shit it's pretty damn fun. Maybe I went in with almost no expectations, but I played for a few hours without realizing it.

"minigames" galore, though. So yeah, prepare to get your waggle on.

That said, creating new parts for your monster is awesome. The better you do at the game, the higher quality the item, the stronger it is. I want to make a thread about the game, but I know it will be swallowed up by a bunch of anti-Wii bitches and/or ignored for all the AAA games out right now.

urahonky on
  • pslong9pslong9 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    urahonky wrote: »
    So I got Monster Lab from Gamefly, and holy shit it's pretty damn fun. Maybe I went in with almost no expectations, but I played for a few hours without realizing it.

That said, creating new parts for your monster is awesome. The better you do at the game, the higher quality the item, the stronger it is. I want to make a thread about the game, but I know it will be swallowed up by a bunch of anti-Wii bitches and/or ignored for all the AAA games out right now.

Hmm... you know, that one looked really interesting and I keep looking for reviews of it, but so far I haven't found any. If you pass on making a thread on the game, can you talk about it in more detail here? The impressions I remember getting from the previews was that it was going to be aimed at a younger audience, and while I don't necessarily think that's a negative (especially based on the interests and tastes of most of the reviewers out there), it did give me pause. The idea behind the game definitely intrigued me, though.

pslong9 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS FC: 0817-3759-2788
  • JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Wait, Monster Lab is out? WHY WAS I NOT INFORMED???
    Is it as awesome as the previews made it look?

JihadJesus on
    edited November 2008
    pslong9 wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »

Hmm... you know, that one looked really interesting and I keep looking for reviews of it, but so far I haven't found any. If you pass on making a thread on the game, can you talk about it in more detail here? The impressions I remember getting from the previews was that it was going to be aimed at a younger audience, and while I don't necessarily think that's a negative (especially based on the interests and tastes of most of the reviewers out there), it did give me pause. The idea behind the game definitely intrigued me, though.

Sure ask away. I really don't think that the game is aimed at younger folk.

Well I'll try and go into as much detail as possible, I'm only about 2 hours into the game. And right now I can only make two parts: Arms and Heads. Everything will be unlocked in time I'm sure.

First things first: crafting materials. When you're in a level, you walk from dot to dot (think Super Mario World's world map) and run into monsters that you see (no random battles). When you beat the living shit out of them, you get crafting materials. I really think it depends on how many parts you break when fighting someone.

I suppose I should explain fighting to explain that part too. To win a fight you have to either: Destroy the torso, or destroy the head/arms/legs. Each attack that you can do highlights the enemies body part that it will hit. So my Gnaw attack will attack the left arm, right arm, and torso. Some attacks aim at the right arm, and some attacks aim at the left. They are separate. One of the strategies is to attack the arm with the strongest attack, and keep them from breaking yours.

The reason why I bring that up is because I've noticed that if I break their arms, then head, then legs... I get more parts than if I went straight for the torso. I don't know if it's coincidence or not, but there you go.

You use these parts in the workshop. You select a base ingredient and then a component (so like a bucket of mud and some copper wires). To make your arms, you have to do a welding "minigame" which is quite fun. Basically you hold the B button down and try to keep it within the bounds as the screen moves. The more area you fill up the higher quality the item. I made myself a cinder block hand that does about 17 damage in one hit, which basically breaks the enemies arms in one hit because the quality was at 99%.

Also, combinations of these items will often result in positive or negative enchants. I've only got one positive, but it increases the damage done by my weapon. The negative ones include: slow (which means you almost always attack last), drained (more energy consumption), and weak (less damage).

To make the heads you play this nifty little "minigame" where there's a symbol that shows up at the bottom of the screen and you have to crush these robots that DON'T have the symbol on their heads. Each time you get it right it increases the quality of the item.

I've yet to unlock the torso/legs creator yet, but I imagine it will have something similar.

e: JihadJesus, yeah it's a great game. The customization so far is incredible. It will get ignored this holiday season though, which is a shame. If it had come out during the summer lull we would be excited for the game.

urahonky on
    edited November 2008
    Also the voice acting is pretty damn good right now. Normally I hate VA in games that shouldn't really have to use it. But I've laughed a few times and am enjoying how everyone talks.

urahonky on
  • GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    i definitely get a custom robo vibe from it. it's unfortunate that it'll get passed over this holiday, but that's the reality of this time of year. i'd pick it up but i got no monies :(

Guek on
  • JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Can you make more than one monster at a time? So you might say, "I think this place is a good one for my death-mandibled insect of doom", and then turn around and decide to take on the boss with a fire breathing lizard man.

Obviously making killing machines is the whole draw of the game, and having to replay the whole thing to make another one would make it a bit less attractive than getting to play with everything at once.

JihadJesus on
    edited November 2008
    You can build as many monsters as you want, but to walk around in an area you can only select one. You can head back to the mansion and switch monsters, but that will end up respawning the enemies. So far I've just kept the one, but I know as soon as I unlock torso and leg creation I will be making hundreds of minions.

Now I can't say 100% that you CAN'T bring more than one, but whenever I choose the world I'm going to, it has me select a monster. So I'm pretty sure it's one at a time.

urahonky on
  • NickleNickle Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Skate-It looks really promising, I'm surprised at how pretty it's turned out.

The Wii hasn't had a "real" skateboarding game yet, so I'm keeping an eye on it. Also curious as to how that balance board works with it, though I don't have one myself.

Nickle on
    Xbox/PSN/NNID/Steam: NickleDL | 3DS: 0731-4750-6906
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Yeah, Monster Lab seems to have fallen off of everyone's radar. I can't find a single professional review on the game (and scant few fan reviews) and Goozex has a whopping total of half a dozen requests. This is after the game's been out a week. I would have thought that a quality Pokemon-esque RPG with a lot of personality on a system that's lacking in big releases this holiday season would have gotten a lot more attention.

In any case, it sounds like a lot of fun and that $40 price tag is awfully tempting.

RainbowDespair on
    edited November 2008
    I wish I could get into more depth for you guys, but unfortunately I have a CEG320 project that's due on Thursday and I've yet to start on it. The next two nights from work are going to be dedicated to finishing this project.

urahonky on
    edited November 2008
    Nickle wrote: »
    Skate-It looks really promising, I'm surprised at how pretty it's turned out.

The Wii hasn't had a "real" skateboarding game yet, so I'm keeping an eye on it. Also curious as to how that balance board works with it, though I don't have one myself.

i tried the balance board controls at pax. they were fun! even while i was horribly hung over ;-)

Guek on
    edited November 2008
    Guek on
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Looks to be about what I expected.

I've got a number of other RPGs to take care of first, so I'll pick it up sometime down the line, but not immediately.

Jragghen on
  • TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Sounds like I expected. buying it this week.

Tcheldor on
    League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So I'll be pre-ordering Animal Crossing & Sonic Unleashed soon, but my sister gave me a $15 Gamestop Gift Card today for my birthday, so what else is coming up this Holiday for the Wii that i'm forgetting about?

Edit: Nevermind, I'm gonna put it towards Chrono Trigger.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
    edited November 2008
    So I'll be pre-ordering Animal Crossing & Sonic Unleashed soon, but my sister gave me a $15 Gamestop Gift Card today for my birthday, so what else is coming up this Holiday for the Wii that i'm forgetting about?

Edit: Nevermind, I'm gonna put it towards Chrono Trigger.

DEADLY CREATURES

Guek on
  • AmpixAmpix Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I'm a little dissapointed in DotNW, I'll probably pick it up if I can find it somewhere cheap.

Ampix on
    steam_sig.png
  • elkataselkatas Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    IGN wrote:
    Famitsu reports that one of the games, Donkey Kong Jungle Beat, will be getting more than just a control update. Nintendo will be changing the gimmicks found in each stage, repositioning enemies, and adding mid-level check points. On top of this, those who played the GameCube original can look forward to completely new stages.

As for the control changes, Nintendo appears to be converting Jungle Beat into a more traditional platformer. The original had a unique control system that made use of the GameCube's bongo controllers. For the Wii version, you control Donkey Kong with the analogue pad on the nunchuck, and make him jump with the A button. The game does use motion controls for a few moves, including punching at enemies and performing continuous jumps.

For the Play it on Wii Selection version of Pikmin, Famitsu makes no mention of additional content aside from the new control scheme. To control the game now, you, as expected, point directly at your Pikmin using the Wiimote. You can point at locations on the screen and press A to toss Pikmin around. Or, you can press B to call out to the Pikmin.

Source: IGN

Interesting. I perfectly understand why they decided to go with traditional controls (wiimotes aren't really good substitute for bongos), but new stages? Wow. Bodes well for other wiimakes. :)

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Holy shit.

Super Mario Sunshine Wii Remake Plz.

And fuck while we're at it, throw in the Twilight Princess Control Scheme into Wind Waker.

Though I'd largely want the remakes for 16:9 support.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • AmpixAmpix Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    elkatas wrote: »
    IGN wrote:
    Famitsu reports that one of the games, Donkey Kong Jungle Beat, will be getting more than just a control update. Nintendo will be changing the gimmicks found in each stage, repositioning enemies, and adding mid-level check points. On top of this, those who played the GameCube original can look forward to completely new stages.

As for the control changes, Nintendo appears to be converting Jungle Beat into a more traditional platformer. The original had a unique control system that made use of the GameCube's bongo controllers. For the Wii version, you control Donkey Kong with the analogue pad on the nunchuck, and make him jump with the A button. The game does use motion controls for a few moves, including punching at enemies and performing continuous jumps.

For the Play it on Wii Selection version of Pikmin, Famitsu makes no mention of additional content aside from the new control scheme. To control the game now, you, as expected, point directly at your Pikmin using the Wiimote. You can point at locations on the screen and press A to toss Pikmin around. Or, you can press B to call out to the Pikmin.

Source: IGN

Interesting. I perfectly understand why they decided to go with traditional controls (wiimotes aren't really good substitute for bongos), but new stages? Wow. Bodes well for other wiimakes. :)

Please tell me it will still have Bongo support though D:

I thought I had that piece of plastic lying around for a reason...

Ampix on
    steam_sig.png
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I'm more interested in what they are going to do to the Metroid titles.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    edited November 2008
    hopefully do something like this:

1226423757981_1.png

*warning: image not real :(

(i know, you're probably talking about adding IR support and stuff, but man, I'd kill for a sweet box set)

Guek on
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Guek wrote: »
    hopefully do something like this:

1226423757981_1.png

*warning: image not real :(

(i know, you're probably talking about adding IR support and stuff, but man, I'd kill for a sweet box set)

I never make it very far in Metroid games, even the Prime series (owned 1 and 2 for GC before sending them off on Goozex), and I would probably buy it again for that.. And Wii controls on 1 and 2.

(and a strat guide)

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    :shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock:

WHY? WHY TEASE ME SO!?!

God I want that Metroid set to be real. SO BAD. All they gotta do is slap Metroid Prime 3 controls onto Metroid Prime 1 and 2, stick em in 16:9 480p and BAM. Source the art from whoever did this shit and you're done. It would sell like hot cakes. HOT. CAKES.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    edited November 2008

WHY? WHY TEASE ME SO!?!

God I want that Metroid set to be real. SO BAD. All they gotta do is slap Metroid Prime 3 controls onto Metroid Prime 1 and 2, stick em in 16:9 480p and BAM. Source the art from whoever did this shit and you're done. It would sell like hot cakes. HOT. CAKES.

Just remember to remove the IGN logo before printing.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
    edited November 2008
    ArcSyn wrote: »

WHY? WHY TEASE ME SO!?!

Just remember to remove the IGN logo before printing.

Zing!

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • ArceusArceus Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Holy shit.

Super Mario Sunshine Wii Remake Plz.

And fuck while we're at it, throw in the Twilight Princess Control Scheme into Wind Waker.

Though I'd largely want the remakes for 16:9 support.
    And Luigi's Mansion. Wii controls would be perfect for that. In fact I'd love a Wii sequel instead of a port.

Arceus on
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Thought I'd ask this here since you dudes know your shit: Has anyone played the Legend of Zelda bonus disc that has Majora's Mask on the Wii? Any issues?

Renzo on
    edited November 2008
    Renzo wrote: »
    Thought I'd ask this here since you dudes know your shit: Has anyone played the Legend of Zelda bonus disc that has Majora's Mask on the Wii? Any issues?

The issues should be exactly the same as the ones on the Gamecube since it runs on the same hardware. As far as I remember, what was it, just some audio problems?

UncleSporky on
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    A pretty big load time at the beginning too iirc.

LewieP on
    edited November 2008
    But no freezes or crashes or erased saves?

Renzo on
  • ArceusArceus Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    And it locks up occasionally I think, meaning you lose your progress all the way back to your last Song of Time save. Which can be hours and hours ago because of Majora's Mask's owl save system.

Arceus on
    edited November 2008
    Renzo wrote: »

The four in one disc? Everything ran fine for me.

My wife LOVES that disc. I think she plays the original Zelda about twice a year. She practically has it memorized, but she will never play through or finish the second quest because it's annoying they moved everything on her and she hates the hidden passageways. (Which yes, are stupid and annoying)

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
    edited November 2008
    Arceus wrote: »
    And it locks up occasionally I think, meaning you lose your progress until your last Song of Time save. Which can be hours and hours ago because of Majora's Mask's owl save system.
    Okay that sucks. Le sigh. I'll give it a shot anyway.

Renzo on