As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Burning the midnight [WotLK release].

• Options
    rizriz Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    :'(

riz on
  • Options
    Bullfrogof7272Bullfrogof7272 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    i see it start to happen at parties and shit too, and there is nothing i can do to stop it. We'll be in a group on someones porch hanging out, shooting the shit, and invariably (since 90% of our friends play with us on the same server) someone, there are two usual suspects that start this shit, will first compare something someone was talking about to somthing in wow, and then they are off... My wife likes the game, she enjoys playing it, but feels that it tends to take over people's lives and this silliness is a perfect example of that, and she despises it.

Bullfrogof7272 on
    the hammer, is my penis.
  • Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    i see it start to happen at parties and shit too, and there is nothing i can do to stop it. We'll be in a group on someones porch hanging out, shooting the shit, and invariably (since 90% of our friends play with us on the same server) someone, there are two usual suspects that start this shit, will first compare something someone was talking about to somthing in wow, and then they are off... My wife likes the game, she enjoys playing it, but feels that it tends to take over people's lives and this silliness is a perfect example of that, and she despises it.
    Meh, it's really no different than people jabbering about the latest <insert sport> game and <insert player>'s performance. I start hearing people in a group getting into a discussion regarding a particular player's overall passing yardage when he was in his freshman year before he transferred to the professional league while being afflicted with scoliosis and hammertoe and my eyes just glaze right the fuck over. It's mind-crushing to me, but to those people who are into it, that's what they like to discuss.

Halfmex on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Heh, ever since my other brother started playing the game, I've had to deal with it being brought up far more often. At least he doesn't try to draw comparisons, he'll just flat out start talking to me about the game.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    Wombat02Wombat02 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    mastman wrote: »
    That's why I'm not going to a midnight release tonight. I don't like to talk WoW to other people usually. I'll do it with my friends who play when we get together we can't help it.

I don't really like talking WoW in real life, especially in public. It's like 'No this is real life, let us talk about sports at least'.

Wombat02 on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    That's why I'm not going to a midnight release tonight. I don't like to talk WoW to other people usually. I'll do it with my friends who play when we get together we can't help it.

I find that in large groups of random WoW players, I have to actively avoid coming across as a titanic douchebag.

"Oh, how many 70's do you have?" "How far into raids are you?" "Have you got your epic flier yet?"

.... Look, kid, you'll be happier if you don't know.

That said, I have no problem talking WoW with other people, you just can't do it easily with people who are non-WoW players, or worse yet, non-gamers. It's like trying to explain a retarded aspect of algebra to a three year old.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Is there any way to buy the game and then have it delivered to Canada? I have a friend who wants to buy it for me as a birthday present and he is trtying to figure this out.

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Wombat02 wrote: »

I don't really like talking WoW in real life, especially in public. It's like 'No this is real life, let us talk about sports at least'.

Well, I do feel similarly about sports. Those discussions are often too specific and filled with minutiae just like WoW.

Septus on
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    One of my best friends plays WoW (He's in my guild, actually) and the other programmer for my company, who I basically collaborate with on all projects, plays WoW. So there's a chunk of every day at work where it's brought up and sometimes when I'm out with friends we'll talk about it, but that's usually rare since most of my friends don't play it at all.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Forar wrote: »

I find that in large groups of random WoW players, I have to actively avoid coming across as a titanic douchebag.

"Oh, how many 70's do you have?" "How far into raids are you?" "Have you got your epic flier yet?"

Heh my friend had this story about how he was at a female friend's little brother's birthday part or some shit (the things young males will do for the vague imaginary possibility of pussy) and somehow the kids started talking about WoW and he got involved in the conversation, and one of them was like giving him shit saying he didn't play and didn't have epics and whatnot, so he logged on his rogue decked out in AQ40 gear and the kid was like :O

riz on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Septus wrote: »

Well, I do feel similarly about sports. Those discussions are often too specific and filled with minutiae just like WoW.

The main reason is when I overhear people talking about WoW, whom I don't know. I wan't to punch them in the face and call them nerds. I don't know why I just do, so I would rather avoid the subject in public completely and not be that guy.

Wombat02 on
  • Options
    WavechaserWavechaser Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

That said, I have no problem talking WoW with other people, you just can't do it easily with people who are non-WoW players, or worse yet, non-gamers. It's like trying to explain a retarded aspect of algebra to a three year old.

Haha, i laughed so hard at that.

Wavechaser on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    riz wrote: »

Heh my friend had this story about how he was at a female friend's little brother's birthday part or some shit (the things young males will do for the vague imaginary possibility of pussy) and somehow the kids started talking about WoW and he got involved in the conversation, and one of them was like giving him shit saying he didn't play and didn't have epics and whatnot, so he logged on his rogue decked out in AQ40 gear and the kid was like :O

I'm afraid he may have done the exact opposite thing of what he needed to do to get said pussy.

Septus on
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Heh my friend... and the kid was like :O
    Your friend went to a kids party trawling for pussy?

815165 on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I'm afraid he may have done the exact opposite thing of what he needed to do to get said pussy.

I know, the fact that he ended up arguing with little kids about WoW instead of seeing if the girls his age were bored speaks volumes.

riz on
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    815165 wrote: »
    Heh my friend... and the kid was like :O
    Your friend went to a kids party trawling for pussy?

It was the girl he wanted to bang's little brother's party.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    The main reason is when I overhear people talking about WoW, whom I don't know. I wan't to punch them in the face and call them nerds. I don't know why I just do, so I would rather avoid the subject in public completely and not be that guy.

Oh, I do get that feeling sometimes, but it's not based on anything reasonable or rational. Being a huge sports fan and spending lots of time sitting on the couch watching sports is not better in any way than doing the same thing for WoW. Sports is just more common.

Septus on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Oh, I do get that feeling sometimes, but it's not based on anything reasonable or rational. Being a huge sports fan and spending lots of time sitting on the couch watching sports is not better in any way than doing the same thing for WoW. Sports is just more common.

Hearing people talk about sports is just the opposite, it makes me want to engage that person in conversation. But the WoWspeak, it makes me go crazy.

Wombat02 on
  • Options
    mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I definitely don't like to talk WoW around people who don't. Most of my friends don't, so if we're together we are really good at nixing the WoW-speak. Besides, I don't like to talk about it all the time, plenty of other stuff to discuss.

mastman on
    ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
  • Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008

Hearing people talk about sports is just the opposite, it makes me want to engage that person in conversation. But the WoWspeak, it makes me go crazy.
    True, but that's just because you're into sports (and into WoW). If you were into WoW but not sports it would likely be different, because listening to someone yammer on about how many total yards Joey McFootballtoss scored last year with a sprained solar plexus isn't in the least bit interesting, and actually makes one want to avoid engaging in conversation because there's no feeling of common ground.

Halfmex on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    For me, it depends on who's talking and what they're talking about. The trials and tribulations of a guild leader trying to survive hemoraging members due to summer/school/glass chewing/mutiny? Not a bad conversation to have.

Any form of Alliance vs Horde fuckmuppetry? Pass.

Almost anything to do with PVP douchebaggery, including (but not limited to) griefing, exploiting or just being a dick in general will pretty much ensure that I have nothing polite to say to said person.

Though as is no surprise, the latter is fairly uncommon, as being as loud and obnoxious in the real world is rarer than finding it online.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Yeah, that's your own little idiosyncrasy, it's not something I would recommend to other people.

I equally frown on people dominating a conversation about sports as I do about WoW.

Septus on
  • Options
    PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Any time someone attempts to make small talk with me, and I don't know them*, I get the urge to punch them in the throat. Maybe a kick to the spine as well, depending on if I had my coffee yet.

*usually at work.

Also, I have two friends who play WoW. If either tries to talk to me in public about it, I get the same urge I get with the unknown small talkers.

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

See, I don't have a problem with that, and even enjoy it sometimes. Provided they are not the type to immediately roll their eyes and shake their head, but I don't usually consider that a conversation.

I was discussing it just today with a guy I work with who loves sports, bow hunting, FPSs and cars. When I first started working with him he thought it sounded dumb, but he asks about it sometimes and I tell him about this big huge world you can walk around in, and turn invisible to sneak up on other guys and kill them, and how you can actually do professions in this game to make stronger equipment for yourself.

He was talking about Army of Two, how it had this system where one guy could attract the attention of the enemies which would let the other guy sneak around and make a surprise attack, how this was called aggro and how cool it was. :) Gives me a jumping off point to show him that my game is not that stupid and may actually be fun.

It's not like I talk about it constantly with total strangers, but I have no problem with using game baby talk for people who don't play it.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    WavechaserWavechaser Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    If people try to talk to me about WoW in public, I act as if I didn't hear them. If they persist, I give them very tight lipped one line responses until they get the point.

I hate talking about WoW in public.

Wavechaser on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I just consider any urges I have of not wanting to talk about WoW in public, the same as not wanting to talk about video games or maybe computer stuff and maths. Dumb and irrational.

Septus on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I only know a small handful of people who play (that I ever see, at least), and with those folks it's pretty easy to slip into a WoW conversation, but we usually reserve it for after we've exhausted all of the other catching up/small talk bullshit in an average convo. We also wait until our wives have left the room, because they also loathe it.

Halfmex on
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Yeah, I'm just picking up WOTLK "whenever". Whenever being I feel like stopping by the store and picking up a copy.
    I stood in line for TBC and found out that WoW players act as retarded in real life as they do in game. I was embarrassed to be there.

TTODewback on
    Bless your heart.
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Crap, double post.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I was at a party a few months ago, and I heard some dudes talking about how their raid were wiping out on T5 stuff.

I thought about walking over there and being like 'sunwell bitches!' but I didn't.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    DoomulonDoomulon Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I find myself telling my friends to shut up about WoW often when I'm out with them in public. It kinda annoys me to hear about it endlessly from my roommate, so a moratorium is kept usually when we are out on the town.

I don't really feel embarrassed, I just am annoyed at the endless WoWish banter... It reeealy grates on me after a while...

Doomulon on
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Doomulon wrote: »
    I find myself telling my friends to shut up about WoW often when I'm out with them in public. It kinda annoys me to hear about it endlessly from my roommate, so a moratorium is kept usually when we are out on the town.

I don't really feel embarrassed, I just am annoyed at the endless WoWish banter... It reeealy grates on me after a while...

I feel the same way a lot of the time. The whole reason I'm out in public is to take a break from WOW and experience real life.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Is there any way to buy the game and then have it delivered to Canada? I have a friend who wants to buy it for me as a birthday present and he is trtying to figure this out.

Amazon must have some feature for this, right? And yet I can't figure this out, anyone have experience with it?

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • Options
    HorusHorus Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Its funny how everyone has friends who always talk about it while i have no one who plays the game. Then again I am a loner in WoW never really done any raid so far 70 mage and warrior.

Horus on
    “You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...”
    ― Dr. Seuss, Oh, the Places You'll Go!
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Horus wrote: »
    Its funny how everyone has friends who always talk about it while i have no one who plays the game. Then again I am a loner in WoW never really done any raid so far 70 mage and warrior.
    Well if it's any consolation, my few friends that talk about it have since moved away and have also long since stopped playing. They talk about coming back, but I doubt it'll happen. They just ask me to dish all of the new info out every time we get together.

Halfmex on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Doomulon wrote: »

But it's only not cool when you're out on the town?

Septus on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Dyscord wrote: »
    I was at a party a few months ago, and I heard some dudes talking about how their raid were wiping out on T5 stuff.

I thought about walking over there and being like 'sunwell bitches!' but I didn't.

Yeah, I would never DO this, but the fact that I had the urge and sat there smiling smugly to myself when I heard those people two tiers behind me makes me feel a bit... odd.

I generally avoid talking about WoW around my non-WoW friends, but occasionally one of them will ask me how things are going. And it's hard to tell whether they're actually curious, they're just mocking me, or they have no idea what else I might be able to talk about anymore. Being that they're all huge nerds in their own rights they really don't have room to mock me and they might be curious in a "one gamer observing an alien game culture" sense, but it's always awkward. I want to answer without going into TOO much detail...

riz on
  • Options
    zagizagi Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Dyscord wrote: »

Yeah, I would never DO this, but the fact that I had the urge and sat there smiling smugly to myself when I heard those people two tiers behind me makes me feel a bit... odd.

I generally avoid talking about WoW around my non-WoW friends, but occasionally one of them will ask me how things are going. And it's hard to tell whether they're actually curious, they're just mocking me, or they have no idea what else I might be able to talk about anymore. Being that they're all huge nerds in their own rights they really don't have room to mock me and they might be curious in a "one gamer observing an alien game culture" sense, but it's always awkward. I want to answer without going into TOO much detail...

My real-life/non-WoW friends used to mock me for playing WoW, whenever I'd mention something cool I found in game. And they were also big nerds too.

The mocking has stopped since they're all playing it now. *cackle*

zagi on
  • Options
    StarfuckStarfuck Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2008
    Now that I think about it, I wonder if 7-11 already sold off their copies.
    Oh well, at least I can still get that cup of coffee.
    Chicks are hotter at Fry's anyway.

Starfuck on
    jackfaces
    "If you're going to play tiddly winks, play it with man hole covers."
    - John McCallum
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Stupid Nov 14th Australian release date. I'll go twiddle my thumbs over here for a while *grumble* *grumble*

-SPI- on
This discussion has been closed.