As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Act of Reading Comics

LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
edited November 2008 in Graphic Violence
I've been wondering how other people read their weekly comics compared to how I read mine. This thread will probably never see much attention or many posts, simply because it is a topic that is probably very easily exhausted. But none-the-less, I will post my thoughts on the subject of reading comics and see what other people have to say.

First of all, some questions:

Are there certain comics that you prioritize each month as being the first comic you will always read, no matter what?

As a follow-up to the above question, here is a second: Are there certain authors, artists, characters, or labels that you always read first? What about special event comics such as Secret Invasion and Final Crisis? Do these comics receive special treatment?

Do you read your entire weekly pull in one sitting, or in one day, or do you pace yourself and make them last until the next Wednesday?

Does your interest in which comics you read first depend on your interest from the previous month, or is it based solely upon the current issue? Does the cover art influence your reading order? Do comics with a really cool cover design get a higher priority than one with an average cover?

Now that I've asked my questions, here are my own opinions and habits.

I tend to favor comics, not based on the writer, but based on the character. Daredevil is always my highest priority. Period. If I get a DD comic in any given week, it will always be the first thing I read. Green Lantern is my second highest priority and Captain America is my third.

Outside of those three, my second instinct when reading comics is based on my interest level from previous months. Currently I'm pretty hooked on the Batman RIP story arc, and I tend to favor reading Batman over others, since my interest level in the story is high. But in months past, before RIP, I was not in the habit of reading Batman first.

As far as author favoritism goes, I would say that my favorite writer currently is Ed Brubaker and my second favorite is Geoff Johns. It works out rather nicely that my favorite writers are also writing my favorite heroes. But I would still read Daredevil first, even if Brubaker was not on the book. However, because Brubaker is writing Uncanny X-Men, and Johns is writing Action Comics, I tend to read those sooner than other books, simply because I know I'm in for a good story.

So how about the rest of you. What actually goes into the act of reading comics for you?

Lucascraft on

• Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    I just kinda grab my stack and start reading. What comes first depends on what book left me with the biggest cliffhanger the month before, or if it's a mini I really enjoy, like Transhuman.
    Unless it's Powers. Powers comes first because it's Powers.

Me Too! on
  • Options
    ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I will sometimes save mini-series up until I have them all before I read them. Did this with Rogues' Revenge, which was satisfying. Generally, though, my willpower gives out and I'll have to start before then; Legion of Three Worlds is something that I am reading each issue of as they are released. In cases like that, I will almost always read through the entire story when the last issue comes out, though.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I just read them the day I get them, and the order is dependent on what I got in the stack. Generally, GL/GLC get read last, Iron Fist gets read first, and everything else is selected randomly in between.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Walking Dead always goes first for me but other than that I have no ritual.

Recently I've been finding myself becomming less and less interested in my comics so I pretty much read the few I'm excited about and then the rest end up laying around for a week to a month. I've also begun just putting the ones I don't want to read too badly in the bathroom. Because, as I poop, I am a captive audience.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited November 2008
    Zeromus wrote: »
    I will almost always read through the entire story when the last issue comes out, though.

I do this a lot. Especially since it's so rare to find satisfying stories that are done in one issue.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited November 2008
    And as far as priority, I put the creators front and center - guys like Morrison, Moore, Milligan, Ellis, or Los Bros get priority - then, after that, I just put the stack in the bathroom and read whatever seems to grab me at the moment.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I start by having them alphabetized - so that I can be sure I've picked them all up in the shop.

When I get them home, I pick a few that I really want to read or am looking forward to, then split that pile in two. Half goes on the top of the main weekly pile to start me off, half goes at the bottom to give me something to look forward to / work towards.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    NabobNabob Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I usually read them all in one sitting, unless it's a big pull for the week, but even then it's still usually in one day.
    As for priority, author very rarely factors into it, but character does heavily. Anything involving Iron Fist or the Thunderbolts will get read first, followed by X-Men and Spiderman, after that its pretty much just what order they happen to have been put in the bag.

Nabob on
    3DS Friend Code: 3325-2367-6821
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Wildcat wrote: »
    I start by having them alphabetized - so that I can be sure I've picked them all up in the shop.

When I get them home, I pick a few that I really want to read or am looking forward to, then split that pile in two. Half goes on the top of the main weekly pile to start me off, half goes at the bottom to give me something to look forward to / work towards.

Do you do this weekly? If so, that has to be a shitload of comics, and money.

I hate don't like being behind, and hate later finding out about good comics I missed that aren't collected in trades, but I don't read singles at all. I think the last single that I bought was an x-men comic that had wolverine and nightcrawler talking in a bar. The cover was a poorly drawn, jagged picture of just nightcrawler's tail and bamf smoke. I read it in BAM one day and thought the story was exceptionally good and stand-alone so i bought it. then later lost it.

What are comics nowadays, 3 bucks, 3.50? Do they still print adverts in comics?

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2008
    Depends on what I'm doing for the rest of the day. If I'm meeting the missus for lunch and she's inevitably late I'll start reading while I sip tea. If not, I'll pile them up when I get home, sit on the sofa and start working my way down. I try not to flick through them before I read them. I sometimes succeed. If there is one thing I should do that would substantially improve my pleasure while reading comics it would be the ability to stop myself from reading spoilers. I'm weak.

Captain America, Green Lantern, Criminal and Glamourpuss are the things which I read first nowadays (if they're out). Unless I've bought a TP or an OGN, in which case I might crack on with them.

Bogart on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Wildcat wrote: »

Do you do this weekly? If so, that has to be a shitload of comics, and money.

I hate don't like being behind, and hate later finding out about good comics I missed that aren't collected in trades, but I don't read singles at all. I think the last single that I bought was an x-men comic that had wolverine and nightcrawler talking in a bar. The cover was a poorly drawn, jagged picture of just nightcrawler's tail and bamf smoke. I read it in BAM one day and thought the story was exceptionally good and stand-alone so i bought it. then later lost it.

What are comics nowadays, 3 bucks, 3.50? Do they still print adverts in comics?
    No, I tend to pick my comics up once per month at the moment so the pile is pretty huge anyway.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    FeathersMcGrawFeathersMcGraw Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    When I was going to get comics on a weekly basis, there were often titles that were first reads (usually, but not always, based on writers that I liked). If there were crossover events, those often got read ahead of the tie-in issues.

Now I buy comics a lot less frequently, usually on the order of once a month. There are still books that I'll read as soon as I get them (right now, Echo, RASL, and Perhapanauts are the ones that come to mind), but a lot of my other comics just go into a huge stack that I read through (by series) when the stack gets too huge. And to give you an idea of how big the stack gets -- more than once I've had a full year's worth of issues. I should really just switch to buying trades, but after almost two decades of subscribing at one store, it's hard to pull the plug.

FeathersMcGraw on
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I usually buy maybe four issues on Tuesdays. I don't really have a ritual beyond a reverse order -- I sit down, pick up the one I am least pumped on or that is new to me, and read that first. Then I work my way up through the issues I'm more excited about, like a new X-Men or whatever is the apotheosis of that comics week, like a Secret Invasion core issue or somesuch.

I'm on the fence right now about what I should really follow from month to month and what I should just buy in trades. I tend to favor art first and reliable writers second, but on something like Cable or X-force that I just want to look at, I just wait for the trades.

I ended up buying the first 7 trades of new avengers, for instance, then started following them monthly. It seems weird to have 7 trades and then a bunch of bagged single issues. If I end up buying the following trades, what do I do with these singles? Give them away?

desc on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Give 'em away or eBay them as a unit if you can get a good run together, or a complete set of some sort.

Alternatively, pay a bookbinder to collect your issues into hardcovers. People actually do this, especially for books that will probably never be collected (Hitman is a popular one among the people I know).

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Certain books get read in the parking lot - Fables, Criminal, etc.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    ZaylenzZaylenz Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    My reading habits are much like desc. I usually read new singles in one sitting and take the books I'm least excited about and read them first and read the ones I most excited for last. I tend to buy singles for only a few books I'm interested in on a monthly basis and I might pick up trades if there's a particular story arc I'm interested in for characters I like. I also buy trades to catch up on books that I've gotten into late. For example I just got into Fables so I'm buying those in trades.

I'm a bit depressed that I just found out four of my current favorite books (Manhunter, Blue Beetle, BoP, and Nightwing) have been canceled by DC, so in the future the amount of single issues I get will definitely be going down.

Zaylenz on
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Zaylenz wrote: »
    My reading habits are much like desc. I usually read new singles in one sitting and take the books I'm least excited about and read them first and read the ones I most excited for last.

It's like sex for your eyeballs. You start out slow, and then work your way up to the climax. It's all about the pacing.

desc on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    Give 'em away or eBay them as a unit if you can get a good run together, or a complete set of some sort.

Alternatively, pay a bookbinder to collect your issues into hardcovers. People actually do this, especially for books that will probably never be collected (Hitman is a popular one among the people I know).
    I tend to give mine away to a charity shop - you never know, some kid may wander in with a pound or two and walk out with a brand new hobby.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    McClyMcCly Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    When I get a new stack each week I skim through them in whatever order they're in. Then I go back and read the more interesting ones again, this time actually absorbing everything. It's kind of weird, but that's how I've always done it.

McCly on
    kbellchewiesig.jpg