As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Superman: Man of Tomorrow! (and his dog)

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    My problem with it isn't a continuity thing, it's a flooding the market issue.

Do we really need a Superman/Supergirl miniseries when they are already involved in 2 ongoing crossovers including one where the bad guys are essentially the same bad guys as the ones in the mini?

It seems like they had these unused scripts in the can and figured "Oh fuck, this shit is about to be dated as fuck as soon as Final Crisis finishes blowing up the 4th World we better get it out now"

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited November 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »

Do we really need a Superman/Supergirl miniseries when they are already involved in 2 ongoing crossovers including one where the bad guys are essentially the same bad guys as the ones in the mini?

It seems like they had these unused scripts in the can and figured "Oh fuck, this shit is about to be dated as fuck as soon as Final Crisis finishes blowing up the 4th World we better get it out now"

I agree that wanting to buy Superman comics or whatever and not having enough money to get them all in a particular month is a valid concern. I just can't really bring myself to care about "this story couldn't have happened because Outsiders #45 says he was here doing this at this time". I think it's really really rare that a character will appear in like five titles in the same month and none of them will be in a book that I won't mind ignoring.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited November 2008

Yeah, that's what I was getting at. They just could've picked a better time to put it out.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So regarding this weeks Action Comics (871):

Is this going to be the regular artist? I liked the other guy that started that New Krypton issue a few weeks back.

Also I'm not familar with much of Superman's backstory, so at the end who are
    Nightwing and Flambird? Is that Dick Grayson? If so how was he able to beat up those Kryptions? Also, why the hell would Dick be running around the Fortress?

smokmnky on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Nightwing and Flamebird are Kryptonian vigilantes.

Dick Grayson took the name Nightwing after hearing about them from Superman.

Also I believe they gave Gary Frank a break during the New Krypton crossover and he'll be back on Action for the following arc.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Also I believe they gave Gary Frank a break during the New Krypton crossover and he'll be back on Action for the following arc.
    You might also remember Power Girl and Supergirl running around in Kandor as Nightwing and Flamebird in one of the OYL series.

JoeUser on
  • Options
    SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    JoeUser wrote: »

You might also remember Power Girl and Supergirl running around in Kandor as Nightwing and Flamebird in one of the OYL series.
    Nobody wants to remember that.

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I remember tits.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    man Geoff Johns come on
    I know you love meshing continuity but making Doomsday Kryptionian? Giving Nightwing Tactile Telekinesis? What' the fucking point of all that?

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Doomsday was already Kryptonian.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    RansRans Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Sars_Boy wrote: »
    man Geoff Johns come on
    I know you love meshing continuity but making Doomsday Kryptionian? Giving Nightwing Tactile Telekinesis? What' the fucking point of all that?

Doomsday has been Kyptonian since Jurgens' Hunter/Prey mini-series back in 1995

Rans on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    huh

did not know that

I thought he was created by Cadmus

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    huh

did not know that

Maybe you're thinking about the Justice League cartoon. I think Cadmus made him in that.

And yeah, he wasn't originally Kryptonian. From what I remember of Death of Superman, he just sorta shows up out of nowhere.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    huh

did not know that

Maybe you're thinking about the Justice League cartoon. I think Cadmus made him in that.

And yeah, he wasn't originally Kryptonian. From what I remember of Death of Superman, he just sorta shows up out of nowhere.
    I never really read Death of Superman and i'm not entirely sure how I came to the conclusion that he was made by Cadmus in the comics

boy is my face red

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The Cadmus thing was definitely a Justice League cartoon thing - otherwise, as Robos stated, he just sort of showed up, and Jurgens came along later and tacked on the Kryptonian origin (the Hunter:Prey miniseries).

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited November 2008
    man Geoff Johns come on
    Giving Nightwing Tactile Telekinesis? What' the fucking point of all that?
    1) This Nightwing could just be someone that was in Kandor and has tactile telekinesis

2) He probably gave him it since Nightwing and Flamebird are supposed to be the heroes of Krypton, and they need something to be different than 100,000 other Kryptonians that now have powers

3) Kandor's Nightwing and Flamebird are different like every time they're ever brought up.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    huh

did not know that

Nah, I'm pretty sure he was Kryptonian in that too. Then Cadmus cloned him or something.

jacobkosh: Uh, it really isn't rare at all to see a character show up in 5 different titles in a month. I mean really, this month Superman has either appeared or will be appearing in Action Comics, Superman, Supergirl, Trinity, Justice League, JSA Special - Superman and Tangent: Superman's Reign. Batman appears in at least as many books, if not more.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited November 2008
    jacobkosh: Uh, it really isn't rare at all to see a character show up in 5 different titles in a month. I mean really, this month Superman has either appeared or will be appearing in Action Comics, Superman, Supergirl, Trinity, Justice League, JSA Special - Superman and Tangent: Superman's Reign. Batman appears in at least as many books, if not more.
    Jacobkosh wrote:
    I think it's really really rare that a character will appear in like five titles in the same month and none of them will be in a book that I won't mind ignoring.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Why, god, why...
    2009 is going to be a big year for DC Comics' Superman. He's going to leave his comic book home for the last 70 years, and he's also going to be abandoning his adopted home planet forever (or the comic book version thereof, which is at least six months). What could make the Man of Steel run away from home like this? We're blaming the military industrial complex - and a need for sales.

Superman's lonely future was revealed by DC Executive Editor Dan DiDio, in an interview with the LA Times' Hero Complex blog:
    Superman has been the star of "Action Comics" for its entire run, essentially, and he will be leaving it and handing it over to new characters. The only time he hasn’t appeared in the book, I believe, was after “The Death of Superman,” in those years. So this is a lot of fun for us. I think that’s going to get people excited and scratching their heads and wondering what’s going on. In his own book, "Superman," there will be a dramatic turn as the hero leaves Earth and it seems like he’s leaving for good. We’ll follow his adventures in space more so than his adventures on Earth, and that’s a big and exciting thing.

Give us the best Superman run in probably a decade and a half, bring his world back down to a friendly level for newcomers, make him sympathetic again...

Then shoot him off into space for a year so you can focus on everyone else.

Fuck.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    He'll still be in Superman

Focusing another book on other characters isn't a bad thing.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    As long as it isn't Kara, I'm cautiously interested.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Why would there be vigilantes on Krypton? I thought Krypton was a crime-free utopia fueled by scientific progress.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Also in the interview, DiDio indirectly hints that the new Legion of Super Heroes book (Adventure Comics) will be very closely tied in with the Superman Family books.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    thorpethorpe Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I bought the first All Star Superman trade.

Now I am disappointed both that I'll have to wait for the second to come out, and that there isn't going to be any more of this.

So good.

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    There's a vicious rumour going round that James Robinson has quit the Superman books in protest over their new direction. Anyone heard anything about this?

Wildcat on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Wildcat wrote: »
    There's a vicious rumour going round that James Robinson has quit the Superman books in protest over their new direction. Anyone heard anything about this?

That would end the whole dream-run he had planned with Johns and whoever was doing Supergirl.

That would suck. It'd pretty much kill the run.

I'm sure we'll hear more about that before the end of the week, whether it's true or not.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    If Robinson's gone, then I'm just going to go back to not reading Superman.

At least we got a couple good arcs out of him.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I will be really really upset if this turns out to be true

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    yeah that would have to be a pretty quick tunraround in terms of what they had planned considering New Krypton extends into 2010

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    thorpe wrote: »

Now I am disappointed both that I'll have to wait for the second to come out, and that there isn't going to be any more of this.

So good.
    it comes out in Jaunary I think

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    thorpe wrote: »

So good.
    it comes out in Jaunary I think

As a hardcover.

Grrr...

I just want them to match on my bookshelf!

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I'm buying the ASS trades to loan to my friends, but what I really want is an Absolute.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    hahaha

ass

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Well if the Robinson rumor is true I'll probably just go back to only buying Supergirl.

smokmnky on
  • Options
    KyleWPetersonKyleWPeterson Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    It's not true, just more ridiculous bullshit from that rumor website:
    Superman comic book editor Matt Idelson contacted the Superman Homepage today to debunk this story. It's not true. James Robinson has NOT quit the Superman comic books.

Source

KyleWPeterson on
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Oh, good. I'm not even that enthralled by what Robinson has done so far, but I hate it when plans and promises get derailed like that. It was bad times when Dixon dropped out suddenly. Hope the Final Crisis stuff isn't true then, too.

Lux on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    It's not true, just more ridiculous bullshit from that rumor website:
    Superman comic book editor Matt Idelson contacted the Superman Homepage today to debunk this story. It's not true. James Robinson has NOT quit the Superman comic books.

Source

Johnston tends to be right a good deal of the time, but he himself said he wasn't 100% sure about this particular story.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Yeah, it was clearly labelled as 'amber' on his little scale. Which is kinda the reason why he has it.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I think it's important to remember that just because Idelson, a DC Comics employee, says everything is hunky dory, that doesn't necessarily mean an argument didn't occur. Johnston did say that Shooter had been fired, and though it didn't pan out immediately, once Shooter was off Legion and giving his exit interview, he revealed he'd been fired and re-hired a few times amid various arguments and conflicts. You'd really think Robinson would have responded personally to squash the rumor as soon as it got started.

Even if it's not true and never was, does anyone else find it a little disconcerting that DC seems to almost constantly be a source of shady rumors? Marvel doesn't seem to have the same problem.

Munch on
  • Options
    RansRans Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Right, even if the rumors aren't exactly true it does seem like there is considerable hostility and tension between the writers and Didio.

Rans on