As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MotW 11/12/2008 - Wolverine AND Kingdom Come:Superman

jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid?NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
edited November 2008 in Graphic Violence
Two men enter, one man leaves.

Both books are infused with awesome - KC:S because it's so completely heartbreaking, and Wolverine because it is delightfully old school (and also looks terrific).

tOkYVT2.jpg
jkylefulton on

• Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Moment of the week is Detective Comics, which was a decent finale to the arc.

Anti-Moment was gay for pay Joker in the Kevin Smith Batman book.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Batman Cacophony was fantastic.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Onomatopoeia is a pretty fun character.

But still, Joker with his pants down against a tree. Also, it'll probably be years until issue two is published, considering Smith's track record.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

But still, Joker with his pants down against a tree. Also, it'll probably be years until issue two is published, considering Smith's track record.

True.

I love how everyone just calls Deadshot Floyd now.

Detective Comics was also fantastic.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Hush breaks into the Batcave. Batman's having a hard time, so Alfred activates one of the cave's defenses.
    tec18.jpg

Gay Joker:
    cacoph7.jpg
    cacoph8.jpg

Nightwing: A little something for the ladies
    1226539633757.jpg

1226539696816.jpg

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Wolverine was annoyingly uneventful and cliff hanger-y, but still managed to show pretty stuff.

Something of note,
    Electroville, where Loki's gigantic corpse and the remanants of the Baxter Building are is in pretty much present day Wyoming.

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Nightwing: A little something for Keith

<3

Munch on
  • Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    maaaaaan wolverine was dissapointing

nothing happened and then BAM SUPER CLIFFHANGER

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Sars_Boy wrote: »

My sentiments exactly.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Yeah, I'm not Millar's biggest fan but I enjoy his stuff and this issue was kind of a strange one, I blinked and then it was over.
    And I'm voting Joker propositioning Onomatopoeia for anal sex my moment of the week.

Thank merciful god he walked away, I really didn't want to find out what sort of sounds he makes while doing that.

Fucking The Joker though, now thats a story you could someday tell your grandchildren.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The art in both Wolverine and KC: Superman was fan-fucking-tastic and an easy MotW from me. True, not much happened in Wolverine but the reveal of
    Red Skull
    as president was awesome. Another MotW was reading through the Civil War script book from the CW hardcover. Very interesting and oh my God Millar's original vision for CW would have been a gigantic, but entertaining, clusterfuck.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

supposedly the scripts are all done already

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »

Yeah, I'm not Millar's biggest fan but I enjoy his stuff and this issue was kind of a strange one, I blinked and then it was over.
    And I'm voting Joker propositioning Onomatopoeia for anal sex my moment of the week.

Thank merciful god he walked away, I really didn't want to find out what sort of sounds he makes while doing that.

Fucking The Joker though, now thats a story you could someday tell your grandchildren.

He probably booby-trapped his asshole. We've already established there's razor blades in his poo.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    Another MotW was reading through the Civil War script book from the CW hardcover. Very interesting and oh my God Millar's original vision for CW would have been a gigantic, but entertaining, clusterfuck.

What was it? I should probably get around to getting Civil War at some point, and if it's good it might speed that along.

werehippy on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Originally Civil War was going to be a 12 issue maxi series that combined both CW AND World War Hulk. During the climactic fight between the heros, Hulk would show up with HULK BABIES and wreck havoc on everything. I'm skipping many story details but that's the jist of it. BTW, I do recommend you picking up the Civil War hardcover or at least the trade.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    Originally Civil War was going to be a 12 issue maxi series that combined both CW AND World War Hulk. During the climactic fight between the heros, Hulk would show up with HULK BABIES and wreck havoc on everything. I'm skipping many story details but that's the jist of it. BTW, I do recommend you picking up the Civil War hardcover or at least the trade.
    that is fucking awesome

they should have thrown in the annihilation wave as well

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    So how did Civil War originally end?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    So how did Civil War originally end?

Again I'm skipping some stuff but here goes anyway: Heroes unite and fight Hulks, Hulks kick their ass, some mysterious senator behind the SHRA gets Doom tech and tries to kill all the superpowers during the mayhem, somehow Cap saves the day but gets stripped of his powers, Tony however still insists on keeping the act but some little kid shows up from a kidnapping storyline I hadn't mentioned before and tells Tony that the act killed his dad, the end. And even weirder, this was proposed in Sept. 2005 and Millar mentions that Bucky should take the role of Cap AND the RED HULK should show up. Wild.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    Yeah okay that sounds pretty bad

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    TankTank Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    My MotW was Booster Gold snatching Mr. Freeze's "Freeze gun".

M-Magic Hand!

Tank on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Blankspace wrote: »
    that sounds boss as hell

more exciting than the original ending anyway

also Wirehead you should scan the pages with the proposal on them or something

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Unfortunately I don't own a scanner. I forgot to mention the comments that current Marvel editor Tom Brevoort made during the script review were priceless.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    Blankspace wrote: »
    that sounds boss as hell

more exciting than the original ending anyway

also Wirehead you should scan the pages with the proposal on them or something
    Man

SENATOR WITH GUNNNNNS is stupid as hell

to be fair, so is Cap being stopped by the village people.

The WWH bits are rad as fuck though.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I really liked the art and story for Detective Comics from what I saw at Scans Daily. Who does the art? Looks a bit like Hester.

noir_blood on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Dustin Nguyen. Dude's groovy.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Dustin Nguyen is the same guy who did all of the art design for THE BATMAN animated series (the one between TAS and B&tB).

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Really? That's crazy. I really dig his work, but hate the THE batman villain designs so much.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Now that I think about it I could take pictures of the pages(about 5 in all) with my digital camera and post them here. I may do that tomorrow because I really want people to see not only Millars proposal but both Quesada and Brevoorts comments. Just so you know, Quesada came across like a raging fanboy in his comments, not that that's such a bad thing.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I can't comprehend acting like a raging fanboy ever being a good thing.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I can't comprehend acting like a raging fanboy ever being a good thing.

I meant to say he was very enthusiastic about the story, but, like Brevoort, was against putting the Civil War and the Planet Hulk story together. Brevoort definitely seemed the more rational of the two however.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »

supposedly the scripts are all done already

well back when it was announced, only 2 of the 3 were done so

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Dustin Nguyen. Dude's groovy.

Oh man, one of the first DC books I ever read was his and Joe Kelly's Justice League. Since then I really liked his art, but for some reason it didn't click that was him.

noir_blood on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited November 2008
    I didn't like Batman: Cacophony much at all. Everyone was so out of character. The art looked good at least, but I just don't dig the dialogue.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited November 2008
    Dustin Nguyen is the same guy who did all of the art design for THE BATMAN animated series (the one between TAS and B&tB).

What? No he wasn't. The characters were designed by Jeff Matsuda.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    KyleWPetersonKyleWPeterson Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Tactile. Telekinesis.

KyleWPeterson on
  • Options
    mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Here's the thing about tactile TK: I like the power as a concept, and I'm curious about the latest development over in New Krypton. It's pretty clear to me that the powers of these two are not normal Kryptonian powers, and in fact seem to reference our past exposure to vigilantes in our favorite bottled city.

mattharvest on
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Old Man Logan was great but I have to admit the whole "Look at this crazy thing that happened! It was crazy awesome but we won't talk about it" thing is starting to piss me off.I want some sort of Appendix when all this is done explaining what went down during this war.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Keith wrote: »

What? No he wasn't. The characters were designed by Jeff Matsuda.

You are right, I am wrong. I sometimes get artists mixed up.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I'd like to see more explanations in "Old Man Logan" as well, but remember, Millar is using UNFORGIVEN as a template for the story, and there was a whole lot of unexplained stuff in that as well.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I think it would lose some of it's magic. It's better to go "What motherfucker punched the Baxter Building and Loki to Wyoming?" Than, "Oh, they got teleported by Cloak or something...Neat..."

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog