As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Burning the midnight [WotLK release].

• Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I went on about WoW to a girl once, trying to explain it as best I could to a non-gamer and not going into too much detail.

I didn't do a very good job. Still got laid, though. 8-)

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • skyybahamutskyybahamut Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I'm going to be at Walmart at Midnight tonight, partly for work to get a random interview with a gamer or two, partly for me and my craving of the new content. I wanna get my tailoring mage a flying carpet.

Edit: I work at a radio station and if more than 50 people show up for something past midnight it's newsworthy...or so I rationalise.

skyybahamut on
    This signature is for SCIENCE!
  • TheTishTheTish Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    riz wrote: »
    Yeah, I would never DO this, but the fact that I had the urge and sat there smiling smugly to myself when I heard those people two tiers behind me makes me feel a bit... odd.

I generally avoid talking about WoW around my non-WoW friends, but occasionally one of them will ask me how things are going. And it's hard to tell whether they're actually curious, they're just mocking me, or they have no idea what else I might be able to talk about anymore. Being that they're all huge nerds in their own rights they really don't have room to mock me and they might be curious in a "one gamer observing an alien game culture" sense, but it's always awkward. I want to answer without going into TOO much detail...

Yeah... I feel the same way about talking about WoW in public. Granted, I'm not exactly on the cutting edge of content (didn't clear sunwell until the recent nerf). However, most of the people I've run into who play are way behind what I've experienced PVE-wise. And although I dont do much arena... I have quite a bit more PVP experience than most too. So the conversation always tends to end up seeming like I'm gloating about what I've done in the game, when I really don't want to.

TheTish on
    sig-1117080.jpg
    -- Gnome mage enchantress and inscriptionologist... er scribbler --
    sig-1497520.jpg
    sig-1497534.jpg
  • Paradox ControlParadox Control Master MC Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    well my plans to get it early failed. Oh well. Line starts at 10, so thats where I'll be.

Paradox Control on
    \
  • CJTheranCJTheran Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I was going to go to the Manhattan Midnight Launch, but some twats who showed up at 2 eastern started a twitter, and http://twitpic.com/lfbk is what the line looks lik 6 hours before they start selling things.

This, and the fact that I would need to spend an hour on mass transit, convinced me to just buy it from the Best Buy I work at tomorrow (fucking manager said he wont let me hold a copy of the CE to the side)

CJTheran on
  • DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Its not like it'll be playable till friday, anyway.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Little JimLittle Jim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    815165 wrote: »
    I don't even like talking to you guys.

i hear that man

Little Jim on
    th_crabz.png
  • StarfuckStarfuck Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2008
    7-11 is such a tease.
    They have the boxes to take the register out, but said they were sold out
    -.-

We'll see if he's still sold out when I get my cup of joe in the morning.

Starfuck on
    jackfaces
    "If you're going to play tiddly winks, play it with man hole covers."
    - John McCallum
  • ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    zagi wrote: »
    Dyscord wrote: »
    I was at a party a few months ago, and I heard some dudes talking about how their raid were wiping out on T5 stuff.

I thought about walking over there and being like 'sunwell bitches!' but I didn't.

Yeah, I would never DO this, but the fact that I had the urge and sat there smiling smugly to myself when I heard those people two tiers behind me makes me feel a bit... odd.

I generally avoid talking about WoW around my non-WoW friends, but occasionally one of them will ask me how things are going. And it's hard to tell whether they're actually curious, they're just mocking me, or they have no idea what else I might be able to talk about anymore. Being that they're all huge nerds in their own rights they really don't have room to mock me and they might be curious in a "one gamer observing an alien game culture" sense, but it's always awkward. I want to answer without going into TOO much detail...

My real-life/non-WoW friends used to mock me for playing WoW, whenever I'd mention something cool I found in game. And they were also big nerds too.

The mocking has stopped since they're all playing it now. *cackle*

My friends always mocked me for playing WoW. While they played GW. Now that I've moved they've switched to WoW, though on a different server. Cunts.

Arrath on
  • WavechaserWavechaser Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Starfuck wrote: »
    7-11 is such a tease.
    They have the boxes to take the register out, but said they were sold out
    -.-

We'll see if he's still sold out when I get my cup of joe in the morning.

I called a few 7-11's around here. Man there are some frustrated 7-11 clerks out there tonight.

"Is this about that game!?" "I DON'T HAVE IT YET!"

"YES WE SHOULD HAVE IT TONIGHT"

I thought I was being clever with the whole 7-11 thing, apparently i'm not the only person in San Diego who has figured out that "secret".

Wavechaser on
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Dyscord wrote: »
    I was at a party a few months ago, and I heard some dudes talking about how their raid were wiping out on T5 stuff.

I thought about walking over there and being like 'sunwell bitches!' but I didn't.

Yeah, I would never DO this, but the fact that I had the urge and sat there smiling smugly to myself when I heard those people two tiers behind me makes me feel a bit... catass.
    Its not like it'll be playable till friday, anyway.
    Oh, an optimist I see!

forty on
  • HorusHorus Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    On 7-11 told me that if I want LK yesterday it would be $160....I was like oK thank you. I was like WTF just cause people called him so many times does not mean he can price hike that. Anyway going to midnight sale just cause in Southbay area of Los Angeles most stores are claiming they ran out of Collectors Edition. I know its a lie but I want that book.

Horus on
    “You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...”
    ― Dr. Seuss, Oh, the Places You'll Go!
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Horus wrote: »
    Anyway going to midnight sale just cause in Southbay area of Los Angeles most stores are claiming they ran out of Collectors Edition. I know its a lie but I want that book.

Don't worry. According to a bunch of people here, you should be able to walk into just about any store sometime in the next 6 months and they'll be around.

And there's no way that this experience will differ from WLK.

Have faith, the land of plenty (of Collector's Editions) is within sight!

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • MgcwMgcw Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    On 7-11 told me that if I want LK yesterday it would be $160....I was like oK thank you. I was like WTF just cause people called him so many times does not mean he can price hike that. Anyway going to midnight sale just cause in Southbay area of Los Angeles most stores are claiming they ran out of Collectors Edition. I know its a lie but I want that book.

I'd do it, there's retards out there who will pay that much thinking they can get a start early or something then be /facepalming when they can't.

Mgcw on
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Welcome to capitalism. Where demand meets supply.

Thomamelas on
  • darklite_xdarklite_x I'm not an r-tard... Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Wait, 7-11 is selling WotLK? Do they have CE's? I wasn't interested before, but I do have a 7-11 like two blocks from my house and it would be a shame to let that golden eba....opportunity pass me by.

darklite_x on
    Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    darklite_x wrote: »
    Wait, 7-11 is selling WotLK? Do they have CE's? I wasn't interested before, but I do have a 7-11 like two blocks from my house and it would be a shame to let that golden eba....opportunity pass me by.

It depends there are two 7-11 nearby one of them sells games the other does not
    One of them is a questionable part of town. Guess which one sells games

Brainleech on
  • AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    does anyone know of somewhere with pics of orc male and female deathknights?

i've been tasked to be the token death knight in our ten man group.

Angry on
    edited November 2008
    Dude in my guild just bought a copy of LK from a 7 11. Register man told him "dont tell anyone", and packed the game in a brown paper bag. The receipt says he bought apples and bananas. 270 apples and 1 banana, particularly.

Also, I'm now glad I'm not at the midnight release, as there are cosplayers.

CJTheran on
  • RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Damn. He must be baking a giant cake.
    But.. wouldn't it be obvious to the manager that no apples were missing?
    I mean.. isn't he going to get in trouble? :S

Rizzi on
  • TheUnsane1TheUnsane1 PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Rizzi wrote: »
    Damn. He must be baking a giant cake.
    But.. wouldn't it be obvious to the manager that no apples were missing?
    I mean.. isn't he going to get in trouble? :S

He'll prob do a refund then ring it as the game after midnight.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    "Yeah, that guy? He brought the 270 apples back. So I restocked them."

SabreMau on
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited November 2008
    or the fact that its 7-11 the manager wont really care

Unknown User on
  • SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    man, I wish I could buy apples that cheap.

also: off to hit the grocery store for essentials (bread for sammiches & off brand cola) then across the street to the ghetto mall to visit the ebstop

SaraLuna on
  • HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Angry wrote: »
    does anyone know of somewhere with pics of orc male and female deathknights?

i've been tasked to be the token death knight in our ten man group.

http://www.wowinsider.com/photos/wrath-of-the-lich-king-death-knight-races/

Halfmex on
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Man, I'm going to be surprised if 7-11 is able to sell videogames in the future. Or rather, big ticket games to be specific.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    edited November 2008
    Well I am off to work in a few so lets hope they have it in other wise I deal with the online part and the fact they cannot tell time
    the day after the 12th is the 13th then the 14th not the 19th

Brainleech on
    edited November 2008
  • Lucky7Lucky7 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Why didnt Blizz do some sort of huge event like they did right before BC? I know they did the zombies and all but that wasnt really anything too epic. All the Dark Portal stuff was pretty fun and I was expecting something along the same lines so I busted my ass to get to 70 on my current toon so I could get in on the action, but alas, no action.

Lucky7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2008
    Nevermind I am getting my one day air shipped two copies so lets see if I can pick one up at work tonight

Brainleech on
  • DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Lucky7 wrote: »
    Why didnt Blizz do some sort of huge event like they did right before BC? I know they did the zombies and all but that wasnt really anything too epic. All the Dark Portal stuff was pretty fun and I was expecting something along the same lines so I busted my ass to get to 70 on my current toon so I could get in on the action, but alas, no action.

There's frost wyrms attacking the harbor in stormwind, kinda cool

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Sooo... are people standing in line at midnight because they think it's going to be somewhat playable and/or enjoyable at all in the first 72 hours?

For the BC release, even on my low pop server, there were constant crashes and horrendously camped objectives.

I don't think Blizzard has proven that they can handle massive loads given the problems from the 3.0 launch.

Jasconius on
  • SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    At this moment, on my Oceanic server, there are 5 death knights and one 70 in Northrend. Australia isn't technically supposed to get it for many more hours, but people getting their 7-11 "apples" cut in line, it seems.

That, or there are more eastern US players on an Oceanic server than I'd expected.

SabreMau on
  • ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Jasconius wrote: »
    Sooo... are people standing in line at midnight because they think it's going to be somewhat playable and/or enjoyable at all in the first 72 hours?

For the BC release, even on my low pop server, there were constant crashes and horrendously camped objectives.

I don't think Blizzard has proven that they can handle massive loads given the problems from the 3.0 launch.

This is why I'm not fretting the fact I can't pick this up till friday =P

Zerokku on
  • SoundwaveSoundwave Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The Walmart near my house is 24 hours, so I waited until about 11:55 and drove over. As I walked in I saw a kid walking out with what was clearly a copy of the expansion in his hand and took it to be a good sign. When I got to electronics there was no sign of copies easily visible but lines at both registers seemed a good indicator and as I casually walked by I saw boxes of copies behind both tills being handed out as needed.

I walked to the second till that is rarely used and saw 2 CEs and a couple boxes of normal editions, I wasn't really concerned with CEs and there were 5 people ahead of me anyways. However, 4 of those people bought regular editions(2 of them bought 2 each) and the guy in front of me bought a CE. As I walked up the employee acting as runner between the 2 tills walked up and asked the cashier if she was "done with" CEs yet, she said she had just the one left to which I responded "I'll take it." So I walked out with a non-intended purchase of the last CE in the store.

Edit: when I activated it online I clicked on the activation picture and was shown a gorilla high-fiving a shark with the caption "Nice." Dr. McNinja style.

Soundwave on
  • Paradox ControlParadox Control Master MC Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Soundwave wrote: »

Edit: when I activated it online I clicked on the activation picture and was shown a gorilla high-fiving a shark with the caption "Nice." Dr. McNinja style.
    haha awesome

Paradox Control on
    \
  • RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Soundwave wrote: »

haha awesome

No. Not awesome.
    Nice!

Rizzi on
  • MgcwMgcw Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Oh my fucking god.

Mgcw on
  • Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Okay, so my laptop can run the Spore DVDrom and regular CDs. Can anyone explain why the hell it is not reading the WOTLK dvdrom?

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • AldarezAldarez Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I don't get it :(

Do I need to read more McNinja? I think the last I saw his family was getting attacked by pirates or something...

Aldarez on
    2188939-1.png
This discussion has been closed.