As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tolkien thread (New JRRT book in April)

deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
edited January 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
So as to prevent the Wheel of Time thread from being further derailed, I'm making a Tolkien thread.

You probably know the man from Lord of the Rings. He also wrote some other stuff, much of which he never published. His son Christopher, however, has been releasing books about Tolkien's writings over the years however. You can learn a ton about the man's writing process and his mythology through them.

What's really cool, though, is there is a new JRRT book coming out this Spring, The Children of Hurin. Parts of it have been published in The Silmarillion and other works, but this is going to be the full tale, told (supposedly) entirely in JRRT's own words. This is pretty exciting.

So this is a thread to talk about that, or anything else Tolkien. Preferably the books though.

deadonthestreet on

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I am reading the Silmarillion right now, actually. I've always enjoyed it; it's like the Bible without all the baggage, right down to the whole God vs rebel powerful angel formula.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    What's really cool, though, is there is a new JRRT book coming out this Spring, The Children of Hurin. Parts of it have been published in The Silmarillion and other works, but this is going to be the full tale, told (supposedly) entirely in JRRT's own words. This is pretty exciting.
    Holy shit.

Haven't read Tolkien in years, but this is exactly the thing to get me reading him again. The version of the Turin story in Unfinished Tales was one of the best things he wrote.

Elendil on
  • Options
    METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Turin was awesome...I'm totally getting this.

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I forgot what this story was about and don't feel like dusting off the lexicon.

What era is this story from?
    Any famous elves in it?

Aldo on
  • Options
    TroubledTomTroubledTom regular
    edited January 2007
    I hope it's written more like the Lord of the Rings trilogy than The Silmarillion. I couldn't dig the prose style in that one, even though I felt like I was reading fun interesting, plot.

smith.gif

I always liked this one.

TroubledTom on
    Wii friend code: 8704 3489 1049 8917
    Mario Kart DS: 3320 6595 7026 5000
  • Options
    IShallRiseAgainIShallRiseAgain Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I hope its more of in the vein of the hobbit and the lord of the rings, where you get to know the characters more personally, instead of like chris's adaptations, which are good, but a bit history bookish.

IShallRiseAgain on
    Alador239.png
  • Options
    Aroused BullAroused Bull Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Aldo wrote:
    I forgot what this story was about and don't feel like dusting off the lexicon.

What era is this story from?
    Any famous elves in it?

First Age, Hurin was the human who Morgoth chained to the top of a mountain. His son was Turin, who went around killing things with a Black Sword and accidentally married his sister. It's a tragedy; if I recall correctly, most of the major characters off themselves or each other.

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Parts are in the Silmarillion, LotR Appendices, and probably somewhere else as well. The Unfinished Tales has the entirety of the story of Turin Turambar.

My guess is that this will combine everything about Hurin and his kids from all these other sources, though if something new makes its way into this new release, I'll be quite pleasantly surprised.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Parts are in the Silmarillion, LotR Appendices, and probably somewhere else as well. The Unfinished Tales has the entirety of the story of Turin Turambar.
    Not quite. There's a few sections missing, notably Turin's first confrontation with Glaurung.

Elendil on
  • Options
    Abysmal LynxAbysmal Lynx Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I am reading the Silmarillion right now, actually. I've always enjoyed it; it's like the Bible without all the baggage, right down to the whole God vs rebel powerful angel formula.

That right there was my problem with the Silmarillion, sure it read like the Bible: Awesome Version, but it still read like the Bible. The stories seemed really good, but I just couldn't get past the writing style.

Abysmal Lynx on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited January 2007
    His son was Turin, who went around killing things with a Black Sword and accidentally married his sister.

He also had a Shroud, right? Or am I thinking of something else?

Yeah, I'm looking forward to this.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Elendil wrote:
    Holy shit.

Haven't read Tolkien in years, but this is exactly the thing to get me reading him again. The version of the Turin story in Unfinished Tales was one of the best things he wrote.

I completely agree there, every time I read that story I cry. Although I can't quite remember, I think I like the Book of Lost Tales version the best but it's been a while, or maybe that's just where I first read about him.

I think it's kinda a shame people miss out on a lot of Tolkien's best stuff. People tend to do Hobbit->LotR and then Silmarillion, which promptly puts them off reading anything by him ever again.

Rook on
  • Options
    CrimsonKingCrimsonKing Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    FUCK YEA MOTHERFUCKERS! TOLKIEN! I am PUMPED.

CrimsonKing on
    This sig was too tall - Elki.
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Gotta love that Zombie Lit.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Oh man, I had no idea. I am so picking this up.

*excitement!*

:D

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    ElJeffe wrote:
    His son was Turin, who went around killing things with a Black Sword and accidentally married his sister.

I don't remember any shroud. I vaguely remember some sort of helmet.

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    ElJeffe wrote:

Check your Bible for that reference. Or, you know, wikipedia.

I guess I should finally get around to reading the Silmarillion. And finishing The Return of the King, I guess.

I'm a terrible excuse for a geek.

Tarantio on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    ElJeffe wrote:

Jeffe was joking.

Although Tuor had a nifty cloak from Ulmo. That's kind of like a shroud, right?

Elendil on
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited January 2007

Except that the whole god vs. rebel angel theme wasn't even invented until the late second temple period (after the Maccabean revolt in Judea) long after the entire old testiment (with the possible exception of portions of the book of Daniel) were written.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    edited January 2007

Except that the whole god vs. rebel angel theme wasn't even invented until the late second temple period (after the Maccabean revolt in Judea) long after the entire old testiment (with the possible exception of portions of the book of Daniel) were written.

What does that have to do with my post? Because I'm pretty sure that what you just described still comes before Tolkien. :P

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    TalonrazorTalonrazor Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Man this sounds really awesome.

Talonrazor on
    sig4.jpg
  • Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    One day I will purchase a notebook, start to read The Silmarillion for the fourth time, write down everybody's goddamn names, and make it through that book.

Gim on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Thanks RBB
    Gim wrote:
    One day I will purchase a notebook, start to read The Silmarillion for the fourth time, write down everybody's goddamn names, and make it through that book.
    There's a lexicon, I had to use it a lot when I was reading the Silmarillion. XD I'm glad my dad has most of Tolkien's books. ^^

Aldo on
  • Options
    LoneIgadzraLoneIgadzra Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Hah. I didn't really bother. I don't think I followed half of it, and at one point I stopped reading for like two months. The stories were still good though.

What I would recommend is family tree diagrams where possible. The biggest problem I had was not knowing who was associated with whom and why.

LoneIgadzra on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Elendil wrote:
    Jeffe was joking.
    I had to look that up to get it.

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    AlyceInWonderlandAlyceInWonderland Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'm probably the biggest Tolkien nerd evar....

I'm so fucking excited for this.

AlyceInWonderland on
  • Options
    edited January 2007

I literally jumped out of my chair and punched the air. I then called up my best freind and told him. He told me I needed to get laid.

But Tolkien man.

CrimsonKing on
  • Options
    WyndhamPriceWyndhamPrice Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    This is very unexpected. But awesome nontheless.

Also hello CK how are you doing?

WyndhamPrice on
    WyndhamPrice.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I'm good, been working alot more than I care to. I also got Oblivion so when I'm not working im sort of doing that. Because its, pretty fucking big.

CrimsonKing on
  • Options
    EndomaticEndomatic Registered User regular
    edited January 2007

I literally jumped out of my chair and punched the air. I then called up my best freind and told him. He told me I needed to get laid.

But Tolkien man.

I wish I could get as excited as you about... well anything really. It must feel pretty good to be that excited.

Endomatic on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I notice that I usually only get that excited about things that have been a big part of my life. Indy 4, excited-first movies I ever saw, Lord of the Rings anything, excited-first book series I ever read, my cousin in-state to visit, excited-we were inseperable growing up, etc, and yes it does feel good.

CrimsonKing on
  • Options
    tulkastulkas Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I preordered the deluxe edition a week ago, actually (if it's anything like the LotR 50th Anniversary edition it'll be well worth it). Mere words cannot describe how excited I am about this release . . . my excitement is ineffable.

It's just now hitting me

edit: oh my god

edit edit: oh my

edit edit edit: oh praise the valar

tulkas on
    tulkas
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    PRAISE THE MOTHERFUCKING VALAR

tulkas on
    tulkas
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Wow dudes

There is some heavy Tolkien love

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Wow dudes

There is some heavy Tolkien love
    You really have no idea.

tulkas on
    tulkas
  • Options
    thorpethorpe Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    So I kind of thought that the LoTR trilogy was horribly written and boring.

But I loved the Silmarillion.

Which brand of Tolkien should I expect from yon book?

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    thorpe wrote:

Probably closer to the later sections of the Sil (as in not so much pure exposition but still fairly detached).

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    thorpe wrote:
    You should probably get out of here. Some of these people might explode.

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    thorpe wrote:

TRILOGY?! :P

I'd say that you should expect more of the Silmarillion brand than anything else (edit: goddammit, Elendil!)

tulkas on
    tulkas
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    What's nice is that I've finally managed to get into LoTR, and am well in to it.

So this is great timing.

Incenjucar on