As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

get your fresh, hot steaming piles of [CHAT]

• Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Putting your computer on hibernate/standby is a pretty good compromise between power consumption and hardware degradation.

Tam on
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited November 2008
    Unless you're running 10 year old hardware then don't worry about shutting off your computer all the time because you're worried it will 'wear it out'. It's a myth.

bombardier on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Mustang wrote: »
    I never used to turn my computer off until I moved out and had to start paying electricity bills, my last one was $300 and that's more than bad enough.

How the hell do you rack up a bill like that??

I live with two of my guy-friends...all three of us have our comps on throughout the day...and I'm pretty sure our hot water/heating is electric......and our last bill was only $100.

We get our electricity bills every three months.

also bringing dead corpses back to life without readily available electrical storms uses up a fuckton of power.

Mustang on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Mustang wrote: »
    also bringing dead corpses back to life without readily available electrical storms uses up a fuckton of power.

Well I figured it had to be something.

And ah, three months. Nevamind.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I feel like i'm about to die here.

Fuck this work load.

Godfather on
  • Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    That's right. if you always keep it running from the wall, take the battery out. My laptop battery is screwed.

Well that explains a lot about why my battery life is 4 minutes now. :c

Kochikens on
  • Options
    GrennGrenn Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Those promotional posters of Daniel Craig in the new Bond movie look weird. Why does he have such an (un-natural) thick head of hair? Do the producers say, "photoshop in some thicker hair. If people know he is balding, they wont go see the movie!" ?

He does look very young... I suspect a tiny bit of Photoshop trickery has been used:
    nggyu.jpg

Grenn on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Goddammit. I parked on the wrong side of the street with the intention of going back out in a few hours and moving.

I forgot, and the sweeper's coming around. Crap. Hope I don't have another ticket (I am really bad at parking in cities...:( )

NightDragon on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Crap, I have an event at a hotel.... I hate these events, I always have to drive instead of taking the train. Also, they are boring. Who wants to trade? Fancy hotel in the Caribbean for cold snowy weather?

Edit: I just spend an hour in traffic... I hate driving to work.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    you guys
    sitting in a gallery all day with no internet really sucks :|

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Especially when you're selling all your pieces amirite?

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    NeoRedXIIINeoRedXIII Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Better than doing four large projects simultaneously. I wish I could do them sequentially. Unfortunately, if I want to complete two majors in four years that means 4 studio classes + liberal ed + non-studio every semester. D:

I can't wait to sit in a gallery all day, that'd be so relaxing. There actually might be an opportunity to get a studio/gallery/show space in the basement of a couple of instructors' studio. It'll be cheap with a couple of friends. :D

NeoRedXIII on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    TRAFFIC SUCKS!!! I spend 3 combined hours in traffic!!!

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Ok so I don't think this deserves its own thread, but I have an idea of making something for a girl I rather like:

http://watch.discoverychannel.ca/#clip108129

So, can any of you think of a place that would sell ostrich or emu eggs? I've looked around at pretty much every place in town, and I'm guessing it's down to either trying to contact local farms, or ordering on ebay. Any thoughts? There's a couple that aren't that bad coming in from the states (about 30-40 dollars for like 4, compared to the shipping from australia), so I could always make multiple as gifts for others as well and give her the best one.

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited November 2008
    Bloody hell... I just found out that my cat was killed by some dogs last night. She wandered into their yard and they got her.

Grifter on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Oh man, so sorry to hear that Grif.....:(

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Grifter wrote: »
    Bloody hell... I just found out that my cat was killed by some dogs last night. She wandered into their yard and they got her.

Jesus god damn, I'm really sorry about that, Grif. D:

Tam on
  • Options
    MossMoss Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So... I just got my 20th Threadless print.

Moss on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    And on the other pole, Megagrats, Moss.

Tam on
  • Options
    MossMoss Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

OH shit, that fucking sucks man. My condolences.

Moss on
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008

Oh jesus. That is fucking terrible. :(

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    NeoRedXIIINeoRedXIII Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    No good.

NeoRedXIII on
  • Options
    winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Man, sorry to hear that... :(

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2008
    Would anyone with a scanner like to lend me a hand? I need a scan of just the empty scanner bed, so in effect, close the lid and press scan and that's what I need an image of. Doesn't need to be at a ridiculous DPI or anything.

If anyone would be goodly enough to do this for me, please PM. Also, prizes!

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Will a shit scanner do? 400DPI?

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I already got it

Tam on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    But I'm 66% of the way through, what am I gonna do with 66% of an empty scanner bed? Tell me that friendO!
    33648176.jpg

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Yeah, still send it along Mustang! I'm curious what you mean by "Shit scanner". And thanks again Tam.

As for its purpose, I'm taking some digital camera photos and doctoring them up to look like photos taken on a disposable camera from the 80's, then needed a scanner bed background to place them on and realized I didn't have access to that here at hope.

• Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    oh shit grifter, that's terrible...

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    LoomdunLoomdun Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

If it makes you feel any better my kitten got brutally enjured by my senile neighbours dog. Then my kitten hid behind his trees for 3 days to injured to climb back the fence to our house. Then he walked in his backyard and sprayed it with a water hose in a attempt to scare it away. Then he left my kitten there to die and didn't bother tell us where our missing cat was.

And then a neighbour finally found it by the smell 2 weeks later after that.

P.S. My sister killed his dog. But that's a wholeeee different story.

In other news why the hell are my teachers making my life more difficult then it should be with doing my damn sculpture drawing? I'm doing it on my free time, not only are they walking up to me and saying..... "HOW CAN YOU MAKE TIMEEEEE?" There also kicking me out of there classes because me sitting in the corner of a art class drawing something. Is apparently... To much of a bother. But I blame the fact it was a ignorant subsitute.

Edit: seriously you silly professors, I dont spend a additional 5 hours a day outside of my classes inside the classes for nothing

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    It's that kinda shit is why my cat is only allowed supervised excursions into the back yard, he's far too adorable to be left to fend the dangers of suburbia and he's the only thing that cheers me up after the horrors of work.
    My case in point.
    arthurminilk9.jpg

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    There is a touch of sadness in that adorable face, you must over-smother your cat into yourself with undying love, poor kitty.

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    My roommate and I just went through this link together. We discussed the before and after of each, dissecting the finer points of both. That was actually a lot of fun.

• Options
    Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    That animal planet one is awful.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I thought the wal-mart redesign was pretty good, which actually surprised me a bit.

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Forbe! wrote: »

I was looking through them and was also going to say how horrible the animal planet one is. I like the airport one though, that one is neat, the dubai international.

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Absolutely. We discussed that one the most I think, and I absolutely could not figure out the reasoning behind it, nor could I understand how anyone would sign off on it.

• Options
    edited November 2008
    Loomdun wrote: »

I was looking through them and was also going to say how horrible the animal planet one is. I like the airport one though, that one is neat, the dubai international.

Yeah, it's good until you consider the logo for an airport shouldn't contain anything remotely resembling an explosion in it.

• Options
    edited November 2008

God, I know. I'm glad somebody agrees.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Going off of those designs...

You know how every decade/clump of ~20 years has a distinct "style?" At least in the past 100 years (most recognizably, at least?).......looking at those logo redesigns made me think: this is what the 2010's will look like.....all the redesigns (or the majority) have this bright, springy, innocent child-like ...happiness to them, almost...I don't know how to really describe it....upbeat? bright colors, "fun" patterns and shapes, smooth'd out things, lots of curves...is this what'll define the look of this decade? Almost back to the 60's/70's, but more modernized and "controlled".

Obviously my thoughts on this aren't limited to only those designs, but it seems like it's been a trend in the past few years.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Well the way they made it was yelllow and red, the shape is interesting but yah it is kind of a big explosion, probablyyyy could of made it blue and green or whatnot.

and as for nightdragon, I think everyone will agree that the animal planet one is horrible.

I would say though that everything seems to be going for a more fluid feeling. Except one.... did anyone else asides me laugh when reading the Dolby one? That one was by far the most rediculous thing to list as exceptional logo rebranding.

Loomdun on
    splat
This discussion has been closed.