As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WAR] Healer Archetypes: You are a hat.

• CmdPromptCmdPrompt Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Saeris wrote: »
    Any Mork shamans seen Pass It On work? I haven't seen it trigger at all in three days. Is it even supposed to work on HOTs?

It doesn't say "direct heal" which made me think it would work on HoTs, but I never saw it trigger, ever.

I don't know if that's due to not being recorded in the combat log or displayed (which would be stupid as all hell) or if the tactic is bugged. WAR logs everything right? You could do a grep to double check.

Also, question for you or any other guy who's familiar with WAR add-ons. I'd like to write something to sort Squared frames by how much health the guy has, so the person needing heals the most is always at the top or right. Easy to do, impossible, somewhere inbetween?

CmdPrompt on
    GxewS.png
  • SaerisSaeris Borb Enthusiast flapflapflapflapRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Probably doable. I don't think there are any locks on programmatically moving windows around during combat. Seems like that could get annoying fast, though, as your frames are always shuffling around, maybe too fast to ponder the contents and decide who to heal based on additional factors such as class, rank, and stupidity. I know that last one is an important deciding factor for my heals. You could lock the update rate to once every five seconds or so, but that rather reduces the usefulness of the sorting in the first place.

And logging is no longer enabled by default, due to the performance issues it caused. I don't even know how to enable it.

Saeris on
    borb_sig.png
  • rehtonAesoohCrehtonAesoohC Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Probably doable. I don't think there are any locks on programmatically moving windows around during combat. Seems like that could get annoying fast, though, as your frames are always shuffling around, maybe too fast to ponder the contents and decide who to heal based on additional factors such as class, rank, and stupidity. I know that last one is an important deciding factor for my heals. You could lock the update rate to once every five seconds or so, but that rather reduces the usefulness of the sorting in the first place.

And logging is no longer enabled by default, due to the performance issues it caused. I don't even know how to enable it.

To enable logging, open up UserSettings.xml and look for the line that says logAllToDisk="false" and change that to true.

rehtonAesoohC on
    Was wowed by Rift so I'm trying that now.
  • ghost_master2000ghost_master2000 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    wow, so I was lagging so bad today I couldn't heal for shit, so I tried damage spec on my archmage.

I got the tactic that makes radiant gaze (dot) effect everybody within 20ft of the target. I thought it meant that whenever the damage ticked it would hit everybody within 20ft as well, but instead it's when you cast it, it also gets cast on everybody within 20 ft of your target.

The best part? the animation is eye lazers, and when you cast it and it hits 5 people there are 5 sets of eye lazers. It's so badass.

I still didn't do shit for damage so I respecced to healing but for that one match I got given shit by some IB for "bitching all the time and not healing", and he had me on ignore so I couldn't tell him to fuck off. What a dick.

ghost_master2000 on
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawl

rend soul doesn't require you to stay anywhere near the guy you are hitting after the first attack in the chain.

I've been targetting the front line tank, running forward, triggering rend on a mdps or errant squishy, turning around mid rend and trotting back to the backline swinging away at the air while 4 hits pop up in my combat log.

It is hilaaaaaarious.

The best is to run up to a mage, dot em up then just rend. They snare you and run but half the time you finish em off anyway.

So yeah you only need to be within range for the first hit of rend then the rest is free (pretty sure it still has to go through the block, parry, dodge checks still, but that's why I say squishy)

The best one to do this on is the enemy lion, you can just trigger it while it's in the mass and continue on your merry way.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
    edited November 2008

To enable logging, open up UserSettings.xml and look for the line that says logAllToDisk="false" and change that to true.

Tried that, still isn't logging anything.

Saeris on
    borb_sig.png
    edited November 2008

Are you running Vista x64?

rehtonAesoohC on
  • jpegjpeg ODIE, YOUR FACE Scenic Illinois FlatlandsRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Holy shit witchcraft zealotry is awesome for pretending you can dps. Mirror of Madness has crit for as high as 1400 for me, with like 575 int. Also, storm of ravens satisfies my need to see a billion numbers on the screen reflex.

jpeg on
    so I just type in this box and it goes on the screen?
    edited November 2008

Are you running Vista x64?

Nope, XP SP3.

Saeris on
    borb_sig.png
    edited November 2008
    so i tried a dok today. played only to level 3 and two scenarios. i get killed so fast compared to my archmage. I thought archmages were squishy, but that was ridiculous.

ANY time i tried to melee I would get near insta gibbed. but if I stood back and healed I coudl actually get some healing done.

what tactics are other people using on their archmages? Any tips for a newb DoK?

ghost_master2000 on
  • KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So at 16 I was mid range healing in scenarios, at 18 I am topping the ranks 9 times out of 10.

AT 18 I have been just HoTing anyone not at 100% health. It tends to keep people up. I hear that once healing debuffs appear I'm screwed, however.

... Dear god, I just did my first T3 at level 18 and was #1 in healing, over 20k more than the next highest healer. That was sick..

KiTA on
  • TagTag Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    so i tried a dok today. played only to level 3 and two scenarios. i get killed so fast compared to my archmage. I thought archmages were squishy, but that was ridiculous.

ANY time i tried to melee I would get near insta gibbed. but if I stood back and healed I coudl actually get some healing done.

what tactics are other people using on their archmages? Any tips for a newb DoK?

DoK gets a lot better after 8, Rend Soul is a game changer.

Other than that, just play realizing they aren't *really* front lines fighters. I normally would hang back and either dart in and out of the very fringe of combat if we were on the offensive, or beat the melee/pets who went back for our squishier back liners. Taking out a WH while simultaneously patching up the target they were trying to gank can make a huge impact.

Tag on
    Overwatch: TomFoolery#1388
    Black Desert: Family Name: Foolery. Characters: Tome & Beerserk.
    (Retired) GW2 Characters (Fort Aspenwood): Roy Gee Biv
    (Retired) Let's Play: Lone Wolf
  • DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

WP/DoK suck donkey balls until you get some armour. Level 8ish or so.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • DacDac Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    KiTA wrote: »
    So at 16 I was mid range healing in scenarios, at 18 I am topping the ranks 9 times out of 10.

AT 18 I have been just HoTing anyone not at 100% health. It tends to keep people up. I hear that once healing debuffs appear I'm screwed, however.

... Dear god, I just did my first T3 at level 18 and was #1 in healing, over 20k more than the next highest healer. That was sick..

Yeah, that happens.

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • meatflowermeatflower Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I broke 20k healing in Nordenwatch today. At rank 6. Yeah. I'm not taking credit or anything though, no, all praises due to Raven God. And Squared, the patron saint of Mad Healz. Or would that be patron daemon?

In all seriousness though Zealots are freaking awesome. Am I flagging down a chopper? Am I healing people? I don't know! But these potion-flares are amazing. For some reason in the past month or so I've never seen one being thrown at me, though they also don't seem to display every time I cast a heal either. I thought I loved Shaman spell animations but it's really hard to match both the aforementioned flare, AND a skull with glowing eyes in my left hand that I channel dark energies through. The spells come out of the skull! :winky:

So now I'm just wondering about specs. Seems like I can't lose, they're all both healing and damage. Dark Rites seems great. I'll be AoE'ing down mobs, AoE healing other players, and able to fight back when they rush the casters. For those with higher rank Zealots, is this picture accurate? How do our AoE heals compare to say...DoK's? I was under the impression that AoE healing was their domain so maybe I should just focus on big heals.

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    DoK's are for shoring up the gaps in a team into a cohesive unit.

It's why min maxers completely fail to grasp the class in a meaningful way.

It's also why it's so hard to play since you know you can fuck it all up so easily and most people aren't going to overly notice when you do good or bad unlike a zealot. :(

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • manjimanji Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    i think one of the most frustrating things about being a DoK is no-one will assist you in a PuG over more obvious targets. given a guard by the tank i'm healing or an occasional HoT from a backline healer to keep me alive whilst i'm dpsing/ AoE healing all the nearby melee i could be so much more effective. instead you're instagibbed as soon as you stray onto the front line because your own team is basically ignoring you

also, i've been in a frustrating number of pugs with essentially all ranged meaning i have to try and heal tank (basically ineffective with no support) just to give us some sort of front line, or stand at the back and heal (not really viable for a tort spec DoK with no willpower gear to speak of)

manji on
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    manji wrote: »
    i think one of the most frustrating things about being a DoK is no-one will assist you in a PuG over more obvious targets. given a guard by the tank i'm healing or an occasional HoT from a backline healer to keep me alive whilst i'm dpsing/ AoE healing all the nearby melee i could be so much more effective. instead you're instagibbed as soon as you stray onto the front line because your own team is basically ignoring you

also, i've been in a frustrating number of pugs with essentially all ranged meaning i have to try and heal tank (basically ineffective with no support) just to give us some sort of front line, or stand at the back and heal (not really viable for a tort spec DoK with no willpower gear to speak of)

I will usually guard a DoK over any other class.

It just feels so right. I really wish that I could transfer my DoK form the open server it's on to REM.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • bill.eth0bill.eth0 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Guarding a DoK or WP is always a good idea! Mainly because you are significantly MORE likely to be close enough to them for it to work! The RP/Zealot are going to try to be as far from you as they can be and still heal you, usually well outside the guard range. The DoK/WP will be right in the front lines next to you. The RP/Zealot will be focusing heals on you, and with you taking half their damage the DoK/WP can easily HoT themselves and stay alive.

bill.eth0 on
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    In our group of six, we usually have 1 SM, 1 IB, 1 BW, 1 AM (me), 1 RP, and 1 WP. The swordmaster is a defensive freak, so he and the WP are the front line - the IB is sort of our midfielder, and rotates guard between the BW and whichever healer is currently being targetted (usually me, because AM's are a bit squishier than RP - but only marginally. I'm currently running over 400 toughness, and that's helped a great deal).

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited November 2008
    Malkor wrote: »

It just feels so right. I really wish that I could transfer my DoK form the open server it's on to REM.

I like you.

This liking is extending cross server and enfolding you in my warm approval.

More people need to be like this man.

Morninglord on
  • ToothyToothy Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I don't have enough guildies who're on at the times I usually play, but man...the three man strike team I've got going on is vicious. Disciple, Blorc, and a Witch Elf.

He's healing specced, and we cut a hole into whatever line we crash into. The mid-combat res and morale heals create a situation where we can actually change the face of a scenario by being a harassing element. Alot of the pugs on REM don't actually do anything but meatgrinder around the front line, so we do alot of flanking. We assault the back line, and retreat while picking off the resistance that greets us.

Its the most fun I've had in an MMO, ever. It's all thanks to the Disciple. It's too bad our Shaman friend can't fill the same role.

Toothy on
  • jpegjpeg ODIE, YOUR FACE Scenic Illinois FlatlandsRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I love my zealot so much, oh ho ho. Just dinged rank 37, and I can put out 100k damage in a scenario in my int gear or 220k+ healing in a good game in my healing gear.

Also playing with a small group of friends in rvr/scenarios is the most fun I have had in a game in a long time.

jpeg on
    so I just type in this box and it goes on the screen?
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Malkor wrote: »

I like you.

This liking is extending cross server and enfolding you in my warm approval.

More people need to be like this man.

What's the point of a tank baby-sitting a front-line DoK? That takes the tank (more suitable for front-line combat) out of the equation, when instead the DOK could be a bit more cautious, leaving that tank to do his job instead.

I'm not saying DoKs can't melee, but you're not going to see a direct focus on your protection if you run in there like a whirling dirvish.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
    edited November 2008
    Most other classes other than melee DPS are out of Guard's range. If I guard the DoK, he can keep us all alive easier. Also res in the midst of a fight. Besides, the two of us can focus fire in a matter of seconds. His plethora of snares make Down Ya Go work like a charm every time.

In addition, the closer we are to one another, the easier it is for his limited melee heals to hit multiple people.

Edit: A notable downside is that makes us more vulnerable to AOE, but we tend to focus the squishies first. He's got a less heals received attack, and I silence some fuckers. It works for us, but we're a tight group of friends. It's vastly different with some PUG idiot who can't maintain a target or do anything but toss HoTs around and call it quits.

Toothy on
    edited November 2008
    Toothy wrote: »
    His plethora of stacking, non-removable snares make Down Ya Go work like a charm every time.

Fixed that for ya.

rehtonAesoohC on
    edited November 2008
    Well, I'm anxiously awaiting the fix to those as well, so I'm not too worried about it. I hate lava because of Iron Breakers and that's pretty much it.

Toothy on
  • CuddlyCuteKittenCuddlyCuteKitten Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So. At level 21 Vaul spec do I respec for Scatter the Winds by loosing Extended Control or do I save 1 gp and wait 2 levels for it?

I'm currently doing mostly quests with a friendly tank so neither ability will get much use out of it.

CuddlyCuteKitten on
    waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaow - Felicia, SPFT2:T
    edited November 2008
    I wouldn't worry too much about money... Spec how you like - there's plenty of money and nother to spend it on later anyway.

rehtonAesoohC on
    edited November 2008
    So. At level 21 Vaul spec do I respec for Scatter the Winds by loosing Extended Control or do I save 1 gp and wait 2 levels for it?

I'm currently doing mostly quests with a friendly tank so neither ability will get much use out of it.
    I grabbed Scatter the winds as soon as i could. It really is amazing how effective it is if you are paird with a dps class. Just throw it on the person you want to kill right before the dps class starts on them and it's almost a guaranteed kill.

I then respecced into healing as soon as I could get funnel essence. At 31 I plan on splitting between funnel essence and scatter the winds. Even when I wasn't paired with a dps class I coudl just throw it on someone who was getting attacked near me.

With the 1.0.5 patch that will make the debuff portion of radiant gaze work I may end up getting the AOE radiant gaze tactic too. Just pop that then rain lord and that's probably a 10% drop in dps.

ghost_master2000 on
    edited November 2008
    I would highly encourage any and all Archmages that are looking for T2 fun to spec Scatter the Winds at level 21 - you're the only class in the game that can spec a ranged heal debuff in T2.

Anyhow, I originally planned to do something similar with my tactics, ghost - but found that I just didn't have enough tactic slots to pull it off! My experience has been that, at 40, an AM basically has to slot the insta-rez tactic (it is overpowered and utterly amazing, and if you come upon a situation where your side has it and the other side doesn't, they will almost always lose) and the 10% crit-heal tactic. This leaves two open slots - currently, I use Restorative Burst (which will be swapped out once Wild Healing is fixed - I expect Boon will become my new bread and butter heal once funnel essence is changed to a true channeled spell) and Desperation (for two purposes - one, it's tremendously helpful in getting that insta-rezzed person up faster, since you can hit them with a HoT and another heal that both have the 40% bonus applied, and two, it's terrific against that final bit of burst damage).

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • CuddlyCuteKittenCuddlyCuteKitten Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I'm probably going to respec to Scatter the Winds now when I'm 21. Thing is you can have a Vaul/Isha spec which goes up to Golden Gaze (AoE Radiant Gaze) and gives you Law of Age + Extended Control AND still get Funnel Essence from Isha.

You cannot get anything else however which means you won't get mistress of the marsh (which makes extended control a bit less useful).

However I really like the thought of being able to lay down AoE Radiant Gaze, +Law of Age/Rainlord with huge AoE is really interesting. :) Plus you can follow up with Scatter the Winds on some unlucky person.

Now when it seems that Funnel Essence is getting a bit nerfed I'm thinking about grabbing mistress of the marsh instead when the time comes but I don't know because what the hell would I put the remaining points in?

Also I have no idea what kind of tactics I should spec. Golden Gaze and Extended Control are given as a Vaul spec and I think hurried restore might be a good tactic as well.
    But what else? Desperation or Restorative burst?

CuddlyCuteKitten on
    waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaow - Felicia, SPFT2:T
    edited November 2008
    You're really missing out if you don't use hurried restore - trust me, you'll see as soon as you get it at level 31. It basically allows you to push a front continuously - that tank they just took five minutes to kill? Here he comes again. That healer they just took down? Going to have to do it again. That ranged dps? Right back to plinking.

I've considered speccing up to Funnel Essence in Isha, and then going up to Cleansing Flare for the ranged knockback.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited November 2008
    I would highly encourage any and all Archmages that are looking for T2 fun to spec Scatter the Winds at level 21 - you're the only class in the game that can spec a ranged heal debuff in T2.

Anyhow, I originally planned to do something similar with my tactics, ghost - but found that I just didn't have enough tactic slots to pull it off! My experience has been that, at 40, an AM basically has to slot the insta-rez tactic (it is overpowered and utterly amazing, and if you come upon a situation where your side has it and the other side doesn't, they will almost always lose) and the 10% crit-heal tactic. This leaves two open slots - currently, I use Restorative Burst (which will be swapped out once Wild Healing is fixed - I expect Boon will become my new bread and butter heal once funnel essence is changed to a true channeled spell) and Desperation (for two purposes - one, it's tremendously helpful in getting that insta-rezzed person up faster, since you can hit them with a HoT and another heal that both have the 40% bonus applied, and two, it's terrific against that final bit of burst damage).

I find that as soonas I rez someone I throw my bubble on em if I can, then hot then healing energy then funnel essence, then group heal if the rest of the party is hurting. usually gets em up to about 3/4 health with about 12 secodns left on the hot.

I think even with the change (read fix) to funnel essence it shoudl still be worth it to use. It is a pretty badass heal.

also I'm really not sure if what the patch notes say about the bubble mean it will work on non-party members as well or if it will just cast it on yourself.

god my typing sucks tonight

ghost_master2000 on
    edited November 2008
    Well - the other nice thing about insta-rez (and this sounds really bad) - if you're getting overrun, you can often get away if you rez a random person and use them as fodder. :P

The Funnel Essence change just makes me nervous - my guildmates in beta assure me that things will still be fine, but I do feel like I'm losing out on an integral piece of the AM healing puzzle.

My bubble seems to be almost exclusively reserved for the WL in my guild group - she takes a serious pounding, but she also cuts people down incredibly quickly.

As a final, unrelated, unsolicited tip - running with +500 toughness effectively negates witch elves. They no longer become an issue at that point, and it's kind of funny and sad to see them pop on you and realize that their damage isn't working quite right. It's to the point now that some of them just don't bother attacking me anymore.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited November 2008
    Oh, and now I remember what I was going to type after I typed the "I've considered speccing up to Funnel Essence in Isha, and then going up to Cleansing Flare for the ranged knockback." in the other post above - doing so would mean I'd miss out on the Isha rank 4 morale, which is absolutely incredible. Having a group 1500 point heal plus 1200 point ablative on essentially a 1.5-2 minute timer has allowed our group to take on 3:1 odds, kill most of them, and still make it out alive. It's also absolutely terrific in lord room fights. I highly recommend it - even at the cost of a 3-4 gold respec later, I think you'll find it's a nice skill to have.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    How do I, as a level 38 Sorc, kill any equal level healer before I die of backlashes? I can't figure it out. Maybe we're not supposed to be able to take out healers though

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
    edited November 2008
    Zzulu wrote: »
    How do I, as a level 38 Sorc, kill any equal level healer before I die of backlashes? I can't figure it out. Maybe we're not supposed to be able to take out healers though

I don't know about level 38.

But dumping your dark magic periodically is prolly gonna be the burst you need. Remember, it's a damn good chunk of damage at 100 and it's easy to get back.

The only time I go the full 100 route is when I'm aoeing with my group, one on one I dump at 100 and man that thing hurts, specially gloom->dhar is a nasty combo.

Morninglord on
    edited November 2008
    Zzulu wrote: »

burst damage. Really the only time I die from a sorc on my AM is when I'm distracted by all the crazy shit that's going on around me then a sorc standing off screen does a dot->doombolt-> morale bolt (whatever it's called) and I'm done unless I was at full health when I started. Even then I'm like 1 shot away from getting killed. The only thing that saves me from that is hoping my morale heal actually fires off the first time I click it (very unlikely.)

ghost_master2000 on
    edited November 2008
    Well - the other nice thing about insta-rez (and this sounds really bad) - if you're getting overrun, you can often get away if you rez a random person and use them as fodder. :P

The Funnel Essence change just makes me nervous - my guildmates in beta assure me that things will still be fine, but I do feel like I'm losing out on an integral piece of the AM healing puzzle.

I tried playing on live last night and only using my funnel essence as it was meant to be used and while it was more difficult to keep people up under an assist train it just required a different strategy.
    My bubble seems to be almost exclusively reserved for the WL in my guild group - she takes a serious pounding, but she also cuts people down incredibly quickly.

As a final, unrelated, unsolicited tip - running with +500 toughness effectively negates witch elves. They no longer become an issue at that point, and it's kind of funny and sad to see them pop on you and realize that their damage isn't working quite right. It's to the point now that some of them just don't bother attacking me anymore.

I use my bubble whenever my hots are getting outdamaged. If I throw on lambent aura then healing energy and their health still appears to be depleting pretty quick I throw the bubble up then funnel essence. The bubble, while seemingly inneffective, lets the hots tick enough along with funnel essence to heal a pretty decent amount of health.

how the hell do youg et 500+ toughness on an archmage? Before I hit 30 I would get 3-4 shotted by witch elves unless I was lucky enough to not be silenced so I could get my detaunt(s) off on them. I don't understand why all witch elves don
    't silence me becuase that pretty much guarantees them a kill unless another healer is paying attention.

ghost_master2000 on