As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Questions? Answers!- The General Questions Thread

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Jester313 wrote: »
    So, whoever suggested Captain America: Winter Soldier, thank you. I'm through vol. 1 and it was superb.

Plan on starting Vol. 2 tonight.

I really love the art.

You're welcome.

Lucascraft on
  • emutheelfemutheelf Dr. Wankenstein Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Speaking of Captain America, does anyone know if there are plans for a 2nd Omnibus?

emutheelf on
    Current Game Rotation: Life is Strange, Super Mario Odyssey, Spelunky
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    It's still too early to know, I mean I doubt Bru has even written issue 50 yet

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    It seems likely though. I wish they had just gone the oversized hardcovers instead... I mean the omnibus is really awesome but it's going to be such a long wait before the next one.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • emutheelfemutheelf Dr. Wankenstein Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Yeah, I was reading this in singles but it seems to work a lot better in bulk rather than separate issues. At least IMO it does.

emutheelf on
    Current Game Rotation: Life is Strange, Super Mario Odyssey, Spelunky
  • IrohIroh Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I'm looking at picking up some TPBs for my 4 year old cousin this month, but I need some guidance.

Are Marvel Adventures books a safe bet? Which are the best ones?

Iroh on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Marvel Adventures are great, but they are probably better for 6-10 year olds.There's still a lot of text.
    I've heard good things about a book called Owly. And you can't really go wrong with Dr Seuss. They are not comics, but they are excellent.

DouglasDanger on
  • IrohIroh Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Marvel Adventures are great, but they are probably better for 6-10 year olds.There's still a lot of text.
    I've heard good things about a book called Owly. And you can't really go wrong with Dr Seuss. They are not comics, but they are excellent.
    He's got a ton of books that I dug up from storage from when I was that age.

As for the trades, I'm really just after something with no objectionable material in it that he can look at.

Iroh on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Buy Tiny Titans you fool

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
    edited November 2008
    Owly is a comic book, not a book-book like Dr Seuss. I guess it is recommended for kids older than your little cuz though.

DouglasDanger on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Owly doesn't have any dialogue, so a four year old could easily enjoy it at the most basic level. You might have to explain the meaning of some stories, though.

http://www.andyrunton.com/comics.html

Robos A Go Go on
  • ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    How about Gon?

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    Scumdogg wrote: »
    Me Too! wrote: »
    So, i'm putting together a comics wish-list, and i'm really enjoying these Amazing Spider-Man Essentials. My question is, why is every volume readily available on Amazon except vol. 6? Seriously, there are only even two USED copies available, and they're above original retail price. Why so rare?

EDIT: Never mind. Apparently if you search "Essential Amazing Spider-Man" once, it cuts off at like Vol. 5 as far as availability. Go back and search a second time and everything's right there. Thanks, weird Amazon search!

The other thing to do is Overstock.
    Now, once you finish with those Essential ASM books, get all the other ones. You know you want to.

Get all the other whats? All the Marvel Essentials? That's more or less my goal, eventually. I actually found a comic shop today that has a nice stockpile of "previously read" essentials and other trades at half cover price (although they didn't have ASM 4 which is the next one i need goddamn why is this title giving me so much trouble), but i did pick up some Silver Surfer.

And...like...6 other trades that aren't Marvel Essentials. :| I hunger.

Also hey guys is there a place around here that we can discuss our collections and what old stuff we may be reading? I'd like that.

No, like all the other Spidey Essentials.
    There's a couple of sets besides the Amazing one.
    I'm thinking of grabbing a new Showcase today when I hit the shop. Either Flash vol 1 or Green Lantern vol 2

Me Too! on
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Guys, in an effort to stretch my comic buying dollar, I'm considering switching to online discount comic stores for my monthly singles. Does anyone do this now, and if so, how has it worked out for you?

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I've heard great things about DCBS.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited November 2008
    Yeah, I was thinking about going with them starting with the January books. The flat fee for shipping is a major factor, and since I'm basically going to the LCS about once a month anyway, it won't bother me to get my books delivered once a month.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    wwtMask wrote: »
    Guys, in an effort to stretch my comic buying dollar, I'm considering switching to online discount comic stores for my monthly singles. Does anyone do this now, and if so, how has it worked out for you?

Brian Clevinger, creator of Atomic Robo, personally recommends Heavy Ink. They have a good discount, free shipping inside the US, and they're apparently very prompt when it comes to getting new stuff and delivering it on time.

Munch on
  • JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I guess this is a pretty obvious question, but how many of you will stick with buying singles if the price goes to $4 for a regular-sized issue? I'm pretty worried about what it will mean for retail.

I guess another question: Do you think regular issues will actually go to $4?

JoeUser on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited November 2008
    Marvel's pushing it, apparently. I don't think DC will go for it at first, since Marvel is outselling them already and having their books be cheaper could possibly bring readers over to them.

But yeah, I would stop buying a lot of books at $4 a pop

Garlic Bread on
    edited November 2008
    Yeah, I toughed it out when books jumped fifty cents per issue a few years back, but if they go to four bucks a pop I'll just start buying TPBs, and probably get a subscription to Marvel's digital comic service.

Munch on
    edited November 2008
    They should start moving low-selling books over to online-only format to get people subscribing to their digital services.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited November 2008
    It seems like it would really make a lot of sense to make low-selling books available for download at two dollars apiece. From what I've read, the cover price of a comic is usually split three ways; between the publisher, the retailer, and Diamond. By cutting Diamond and the retailers out of the equation, a book that has 15,000 hardcore readers, like Blue Beetle, Manhunter, or Ant-Man, could still be a viable property.

Though I suppose the question is whether, after you remove the computer-illiterate, the collectors, and the people that indiscriminately buy every DC/Marvel book available, there would still be 15,000 readers for a title. Still, I'd really like to see Marvel or DC just try to launch a book by Bendis or Morrison, which has an actual impact on continuity, with top tier artistic talent online, just to see how many people would give it a shot. It's not like they couldn't print a paper version later.

Munch on
    edited November 2008
    Instead of selling each issue for $2.00 each, you could also make them free with the purchase of a subscription that gives you access to a large rotating archive and new books with both serving to attract subscriptions. You could also have tiered subscriptions, with a basic subscription giving you access to one book, another giving you a selection, and another giving you everything.

And like you said, a book by a big name writer would go a long way to getting the service off the ground.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited November 2008
    That's pretty much what Freak Angels is, sans connection to a known continuity. Also, Marvel released a few online only (at first) short comics that tied into the Iron Man and Hulk movies.

wwtMask on
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    If they want to make downloads a real thing, they need to make them more likable and preferably DRM-less. They should at least be able to give as good a product as the pirates.

Or have they already done that since I last looked.

Scooter on
    edited November 2008
    There's a handful of books I'd pay $4 for.
    ASM, Iron Fist, Nova, that sort of thing. The books that have big significance to me.
    Everything else, fuck it I'll trade wait

Me Too! on
  • ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    that's my problem with it. I'll buy books that I like because it is something tangible, and that is something that pirated work can not give me. But I am not about to pay for something when it is available pirated better.

ManonvonSuperock on
    edited November 2008
    Actually I probably would buy most of them
    Most of my books do mean something to me
    I would probably just cut out the various minis that I'm reading at any given moment and trade-wait them

Me Too! on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    dang thinking over the marvel books I am still reading, I don't think I'd cut anything.

Herc, Iron Fist, Thunderbolts, Thor, and Mighty Avengers (Post Secret Invasion)

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited November 2008
    man what hte hell happened to james stokoe

DouglasDanger on
  • ScumdoggScumdogg Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So, i'm putting together a comics wish-list, and i'm really enjoying these Amazing Spider-Man Essentials. My question is, why is every volume readily available on Amazon except vol. 6? Seriously, there are only even two USED copies available, and they're above original retail price. Why so rare?

EDIT: Never mind. Apparently if you search "Essential Amazing Spider-Man" once, it cuts off at like Vol. 5 as far as availability. Go back and search a second time and everything's right there. Thanks, weird Amazon search!

Now, once you finish with those Essential ASM books, get all the other ones. You know you want to.

Get all the other whats? All the Marvel Essentials? That's more or less my goal, eventually. I actually found a comic shop today that has a nice stockpile of "previously read" essentials and other trades at half cover price (although they didn't have ASM 4 which is the next one i need goddamn why is this title giving me so much trouble), but i did pick up some Silver Surfer.

Also hey guys is there a place around here that we can discuss our collections and what old stuff we may be reading? I'd like that.

I'm thinking of grabbing a new Showcase today when I hit the shop. Either Flash vol 1 or Green Lantern vol 2

Oh, THAT. Yeah, i assure you i'll be buying Spectacular Spider-Man, etc, in Essentials form. Just as soon as i'm far enough along in ASM that they're relevant, time-wise.

I'm also currently reading the shit out of Ultimate Spider-Man, which makes me sad because i can't stop reading entire trades in one sitting.

I was not aware, previously, of my incredible fondness for Spider-Man, it seems.

Scumdogg on
    edited November 2008
    A bump up to 3.99 on all books means I'll probably cut out all but maybe 4 books I buy at the store, and everything else would be subscriptions.

wwtMask on
  • Jester313Jester313 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    There was a discussion somewhere, not to long ago, about an author who wrote a novel that was basically "A love letter to comic books". Anyone know who that author was?

Jester313 on
    edited November 2008
    I think you're talking about Michael Chabon, and the book is the Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay.

wwtMask on
  • Jester313Jester313 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Winnah!

Jester313 on
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Man has anyone read Soon I Will be Invincible? It is a pretty great novel that is about comic tropes and such.

I mean it didn't rock the literary world but it isn't bad

Langly on
  • mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Langly wrote: »
    Man has anyone read Soon I Will be Invincible? It is a pretty great novel that is about comic tropes and such.

Yes, it's very good. There are certain elements that are downright brilliant, e.g. the depiction of the leading antagonist's mental state. The author does an excellent job of revealing a person who is simultaneously brilliant, psychotic, and aware of their own psychosis while oblivious to its effects.

mattharvest on
    edited November 2008
    Langly wrote: »

Yeah, I loved it.
    The confrontation at the end between Dr. Impossible and his nemesis, where Impossible realizes the dude doesn't even recognize him, was just wonderful.

Munch on
  • nindustrialnindustrial Word Typer Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Quick throwback to Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane: I'm kinda new overall, and never been thrilled by Spider-Man (though haven't actively disliked), but I'm liking Terry Moore. Would I like the new volume? Would I like the first volume if I like the new one?

nindustrial on
    chstreamsig.jpg
    edited November 2008

Oh, THAT. Yeah, i assure you i'll be buying Spectacular Spider-Man, etc, in Essentials form. Just as soon as i'm far enough along in ASM that they're relevant, time-wise.

I'm also currently reading the shit out of Ultimate Spider-Man, which makes me sad because i can't stop reading entire trades in one sitting.

I was not aware, previously, of my incredible fondness for Spider-Man, it seems.

Prepare to be buying a lot of stuff in regular trades. Essential doesn't cover the entire run, or even the 90s.
    Just finish the ASM Essentials and then move on to the next one until a new ASM comes out

Me Too! on
This discussion has been closed.