As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Surge Protector/ Battery Back-up Advice

TheUnsane1TheUnsane1 PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
So someone hit a pole near my apt. building and surged the electric to my building this morning. My old surge protector for my computer is dead and I am in need of a new one and thought I will do it right this time. Can anyone suggest some good options. Is Apc still tops or are there other better options out there to protect my $2500 gaming rig? (that I didn't get to test before work and BETTER still work D:)

steam_sig.png
TheUnsane1 on

• corky842corky842 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    APC has worked fine for me. If you main in the warranty/registration card from any reputable manufacturer, they have insurance or something that covers equipment you have connected to it. APC's base models cover up to $125,000 or something, and it goes up from there.

corky842 on
  • zanetheinsanezanetheinsane Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    If you are getting just a surge protector and not a UPS I highly recommend a Belkin or APC. Don't spend less than $20 in this area. I've known people that have bought a $1500 computer and won't spend the damn money for a good surge protector and end up with a damaged motherboard or power supply.

I've also known a lot of people that confuse a power strip with a surge protector, thinking they're protected when they weren't. I live in an area prone to thunderstorms and the city doesn't have the most reliable electric grid, so it's a priority for me. They also don't realize that most surge protectors do have a lifespan and their protective capabilites wear out over time and eventually need replacing. Again, people with 2+ year-old surge protectors probably might want to look into getting a new one. This is why I personally like the ones with the diagnostic lights on them.

Another place where people are careless is not making sure their cable modem or router is also plugged into a surge protector. I've seen my fair share of damage there as well.

Recently purchased this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16842121010 (got it from Amazon though when they had free shipping on it). It has a very high power rating for the price and is very thin (great for wall-mounting, which is what I was using it for).

Edit: Whoops, posted the wrong model! If you have Amazon Prime here's the same model with 10-foot cord for $25.

zanetheinsane on
  • darkgruedarkgrue Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Another place where people are careless is not making sure their cable modem or router is also plugged into a surge protector. I've seen my fair share of damage there as well.

It's probably worth noting that most (all?) manufacturers require that everything that is connected to each other be plugged into the surge protector in order for the warranty to apply. I believe this includes coax, phone, and network connections as well. Some also go as far as requiring the orginial receipt, and even packaging.

Be sure to read the warranty terms very carefully before you throw anything out, before you purchase if at all possible. None of these companies pay out on surge warranties easily.

darkgrue on