As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Spike TV announces VGA Nominees

• mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Gears 2 is a great game and deserves whatever awards it wins.

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    mugginns wrote: »

But I'm pretty sure it's not the best game.

Xtarath on
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    Damn, I was hoping this would be dropped due to the "slowing-economy."

Also, how did they pick LEGO: Indiana Jones over Batman? Like, was it a hat, or more of a dartboard setup?

Isn't the LEGO Batman game based on the comic books and neither the movies or TV show? Granted, the demo at least used the Tim Burton Batman music, but I don't think that was it's inspiration...

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • EndomaticEndomatic Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Xtarath wrote: »

You have a gift for understatement. If there was a best story category I'm sure GoW 2 would be right up there.

Endomatic on
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

I respectfully disagree. Act 4 spoilers:

Cole Train, motivational speaker

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The absence of Banjo is regrettable but not unexpected. I expect that game to be the surprise hit of the year.

I'm also greatly saddened by the complete lack of Geometry Wars 2 and Castle Crashers. I'd vote Geometry Wars 2 as one of the best games of the year period so the fact that it didn't show up anywhere is pathetic.

RainbowDespair on
  • FugaFuga Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The fuck, Wii music actually made it to being a nominee?

Fuga on
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Fuga wrote: »

Can you name another music game worthy of being nominated that wasn't called Guitar Hero: somethingorother?

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008

Can you name another music game worthy of being nominated that wasn't called Guitar Hero: somethingorother?

At least they didn't nominate a DDR.

There's DJ MAX Fever, but that's still two months away.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The absence of Banjo is regrettable but not unexpected. I expect that game to be the surprise hit of the year.

I'm also greatly saddened by the complete lack of Geometry Wars 2 and Castle Crashers. I'd vote Geometry Wars 2 as one of the best games of the year period so the fact that it didn't show up anywhere is pathetic.

I don't really expect DD titles to ever get mainstream recognition, and even amongst enthusiast websites the best I can hope for is a specialized category, but I agree. I don't typically try to rank my games, but if I did I'm sure Geo Wars 2 and Braid would be near the top of my list.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Audiosurf

BubbaT on
  • SkyGheNeSkyGheNe Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Lunker wrote: »

I respectfully disagree. Act 4 spoilers:

Cole Train, motivational speaker

Gears of War 2's writing and story are laughable in comparison to others. Really, it's like a shitty action movie that you're supposed to laugh at...or a B movie. Even their emotionally driven scenes are kind of meh for me.

Their villains are caricatures who we fail to empathize with at any level and their heroes...well...meh.

SkyGheNe on
  • rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    List fails for lack of Braid and Castle Crashers.

rayofash on
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008

That is because spike is full of idiots who don't like downloadable games.

Viscountalpha on
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    BTP wrote: »
    I find it interesting that there's no "Best New Technology" or "Best Breakthrough Technology" this year.

That award would automatically have to go to "Guitar Hero: On Tour", for obvious reasons.

More like "Best Breaking Technology"

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    rayofash wrote: »
    List fails for lack of Braid and Castle Crashers.

Braid is on there. At least, it is for the Mountain Dewing.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Best Soundtrack
    LittleBigPlanet
    Grand Theft Auto IV
    Rock Band 2
    Guitar Hero World Tour

Did anybody else find this to be highly depressing, and/or a joke? Not to knock Michael Hunter's incidentals and theme work in GTA IV... but nearly 90% of the game's soundtrack are just licensed tracks. I have "Soviet Connection" on my ipod, heh.

Same with Rock Band... and Guitar Hero World Tour.

Best Soundtrack is just "Spike's Best iPod Playlist"

Edit: Micheal Hunter is the dude who composed the other music from GTA IV.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Best Soundtrack
    LittleBigPlanet
    Grand Theft Auto IV
    Rock Band 2
    Guitar Hero World Tour

Did anybody else find this to be highly depressing, and/or a joke? Not to knock Michael Hunter's incidentals and theme work... but nearly 90% of the game's soundtrack are just licensed tracks.

Didn't the 50 Cent game win this catagory one year? I certainely remember a great deal of mockery of that catagory one round.

Sorenson on
    edited November 2008
    Best Soundtrack
    LittleBigPlanet
    Grand Theft Auto IV
    Rock Band 2
    Guitar Hero World Tour

Did anybody else find this to be highly depressing, and/or a joke? Not to knock Michael Hunter's incidentals and theme work... but nearly 90% of the game's soundtrack are just licensed tracks.

Isn't Spike the network with the show manSWERS? An apparently live action version of Maxim's trivia pages? I think my point is that SpikeTV sucks. Is that yours, too?

Santa Claustrophobia on
    edited November 2008
    Sorenson wrote: »
    Best Soundtrack
    LittleBigPlanet
    Grand Theft Auto IV
    Rock Band 2
    Guitar Hero World Tour

Didn't the 50 Cent game win this catagory one year? I certainely remember a great deal of mockery of that catagory one round.

Oh man, I just looked up the past winners. It seems that they had a category for scores... but this year there is no "Best Original Score" category? Go figure.

2007: Best Original Score - Bioshock
    2006: Best Original Score - The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (Bethesda Softworks)

Looks like composers get another awards show on PBS.

tastydonuts on
  • Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Braid probably won't win since Soulja Boy (Tell 'Em) didn't like it. If only it weren't Mario in a business suit, then I'm sure it might have made it out on top.

Shady3011 on
    edited November 2008
    Shady3011 wrote: »
    Braid probably won't win since Soulja Boy (Tell 'Em) didn't like it. If only it weren't Mario in a business suit, then I'm sure it might have made it out on top.
    tbh, I didn't like Braid myself. :P

tastydonuts on
    edited November 2008
    I thought the going back in time potion was pretty neat.

Shady3011 on
  • bigwahbigwah Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Lack of Left 4 Dead disturbs the Director. You wont like him when he's angry.

bigwah on
    LoL Tribunal:
    "Was cursing, in broken english at his team, and at our team. made fun of dead family members and mentioned he had sex with a dog."
    "Hope he dies tbh but a ban would do."
  • The ListenerThe Listener Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Midnight club LA for best racer? Really? GRiD was a WAAAY better game than this one.

GRiD was a VERY underrated game... the Demolition Derby mode was worth the price of admission alone, and I'd take the game's vast range of cars to play with over Midnight Club's fake Xtreme Drama presentation and promoting heavy cosmetic customization for performance upgrades any day.

The Listener on
  • rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

It was a lot deeper than that.

rayofash on
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    But yeah, half of the male VA roles being from GTA?

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
    edited November 2008
    I'm surprised they nominated Sylvia from No More Heroes but not Travis.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Midnight club LA for best racer? Really? GRiD was a WAAAY better game than this one.

GRiD was a VERY underrated game... the Demolition Derby mode was worth the price of admission alone, and I'd take the game's vast range of cars to play with over Midnight Club's fake Xtreme Drama presentation and promoting heavy cosmetic customization for performance upgrades any day.

Yeah i can safely say GRiD was one of the best racing games i have ever played, i got it on PC and never regretted it one bit, its absolutely awesome and i am going to pick it up on 360 soon as well to play with some friends. It's just a really entertaining game all around. Drifting was my favourite even if i get stomped by those insane drifter nuts online.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Best Soundtrack
    LittleBigPlanet
    Grand Theft Auto IV
    Rock Band 2
    Guitar Hero World Tour

Isn't Spike the network with the show manSWERS? An apparently live action version of Maxim's trivia pages? I think my point is that SpikeTV sucks. Is that yours, too?

HEY

are you ready to feel SO INQUISITIVE

these aren't your grandma's answers

these are MEN ANSWERS

MANSWERS

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I'm surprised they nominated Sylvia from No More Heroes but not Travis.

Anything No More Heroes from Spike is still pretty crazy.

Also Travis had awful voice acting if you didn't "get" the game.

Khavall on
    edited November 2008
    darleysam wrote: »
    Best Soundtrack
    LittleBigPlanet
    Grand Theft Auto IV
    Rock Band 2
    Guitar Hero World Tour

HEY

are you ready to feel SO INQUISITIVE

these aren't your grandma's answers

these are MEN ANSWERS

MANSWERS

It's pretty much the channel for the borderline retarded.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I will have to link to Powerthirst adverts if you didn't get the reference.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
    edited November 2008
    darleysam wrote: »
    I will have to link to Powerthirst adverts if you didn't get the reference.

Does it now come in women? With gun flavour?

Elimination on
  • psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Well, that is a horrible list IMHO and stupidly biased towards FPS-and-boob-loving-males, but then again that is pretty much Spike's entire audience, so it makes sense.

I will just ignore these like I do every year.

psyck0 on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • pogo1250pogo1250 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    idk how i feel about super smash brothers brawl being in the same category as a game like soul calibur IV.

pogo1250 on
    310457-1.png
  • mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008

I'd say Left 4 Dead will be, but I could see how some would say Gears is. Nobody plays Gears for the story, they play it for MP.

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
    edited November 2008
    pogo1250 wrote: »
    idk how i feel about super smash brothers brawl being in the same category as a game like soul calibur IV.

SC lost its touch to me at least. Brawl is a better fighter IMO.

Shady3011 on
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    psyck0 wrote: »
    Well, that is a horrible list IMHO and stupidly biased towards FPS-and-boob-loving-males, but then again that is pretty much Spike's entire audience, so it makes sense.

I will just ignore these like I do every year.

But really, how different do you expect all the other lists to be?

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • pogo1250pogo1250 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    pogo1250 wrote: »

SC lost its touch to me at least. Brawl is a better fighter IMO.

im not talking about which is the better game im talking about how much different Brawl is from a traditional fighting games like soul calibur

pogo1250 on
    310457-1.png