As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Global warming film banned in school

123457»

• Options
    KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    If you were to fill up a balloon, and put it in a pile of unfilled balloons, it would displace more than one unfilled balloon.

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I want a pic of Mr. Impossible saying "Ssssssssssssscience?" Stat.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The amount of juice raining out from my eyes and ears is equal in mass and volume to the solid brain that I had before I started reading this last page.

moniker on
  • Options
    AgemAgem Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    wiggles85 wrote:
    Agem wrote:
    This... really is not so hard to understand.

Let's say you have a gallon of water, freeze it, and put the ice in your (filled) bathtub. The ice chunk will displace an amount of water equal to its own mass. Because the ice chunk was formed from a gallon of water, it contains as much as mass as a gallon of water. Therefore it displaces a gallon of water, raising the water level however much (depends on the dimensions of the bathtub, obviously).

You know what else has enough mass to displace a gallon of water? A gallon of water. What's the ice chunk going to be when it melts? A gallon of water.

That some of the ice is sticking out of the water is irrelevant, and is in fact related to the reason why ice floats. Ice is less dense than water. However, an ice chunk frozen from a gallon of water will displace as much water as anything that contains the same mass as a gallon of water (such as a gallon of water) because it has the same amount of mass, meaning that when the ice melts, the water level remains the same. At no point during the melting will the water level change, because an equal mass of water is added for each mass of ice that is removed from the system.

Of course, as noted, it's different for different solutions (freshwater vs. saltwater, etc.), and ice that isn't already in the water (but on land) will obviously contribute to the water level. But if the ice was frozen from the same water it's floating in, the water level won't change when it melts.

Water expands when it freezes. I guess you were absent on that day of first grade.
    ...which is why it floats, and why part of it is above water.

How the fuck hard is it for people to do A) the barest minimum of research here or B) the simple experiment of putting an ice cube in a glass of water and waiting?

Here guys, I found this for you. Have fun with it.

Agem on
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Agem is right, and understands the concept of displacement.

That doesn't mean that melting polar ice will be meaningless, as a lot of it is situated on land which is currently being compressed by its weight, and furthermore, the ice is freshwater. However, high school physics tells us that the waterlevel in a cup of icewater remains constant as the ice melts (ignoring evaporation).

MrMister on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Allah Buddha Christ, it's like some of you missed science in 7th grade.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I can't believe there are multiple pages debating displacement and density. Fuck almighty, people, this is kiddy shit and can easily be looked up.

I feel your pain, Agem.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    MrMister wrote:
    Agem is right, and understands the concept of displacement.

That doesn't mean that melting polar ice will be meaningless, as a lot of it is situated on land which is currently being compressed by its weight, and furthermore, the ice is freshwater. However, high school physics tells us that the waterlevel in a cup of icewater remains constant as the ice melts (ignoring evaporation).

and as noted earlier, salt water is more dense than fresh water[E.G. Great salt lakes/dead sea]

So the Ice[which is fresh] will displace less salt water[because its more dense] than volume it contains.

I believe however, that the majority of the increase in sea levels is a gyroscopic effect.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Drez wrote:
    I can't believe there are multiple pages debating displacement and density. Fuck almighty, people, this is kiddy shit and can easily be looked up.

I feel your pain, Agem.
    Really though, we know so little about cups of water and ice that we can't really say anything meaningful. All we have is computer simulations.

Agem on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Agem wrote:
    Drez wrote:

I feel your pain, Agem.
    Really though, we know so little about cups of water and ice that we can't really say anything meaningful. All we have is computer simulations.
    But, dude. Water expands when it freezes. I guess you were absent on that day of first grade!

Neener neener neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeener!

*sigh*

Drez on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I wonder if we should blow their minds and explain how the melting icecaps are making the sea level rise.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    Spaten OptimatorSpaten Optimator Smooth Operator Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Agem wrote:
    Drez wrote:

I feel your pain, Agem.

If nothing else, this episode is another great study of ignorance in action. From here, it's not difficult to see how obfuscations of the climate change issue or Intelligent Design are able to gain a foothold in society. The level of scientific discourse in the United States is disgraceful at the moment, and it starts with local school boards banning or marginalizing scientifically defensible material out of fear of reprisals from dumbass parents.

Spaten Optimator on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Agem wrote:
    Drez wrote:

I feel your pain, Agem.

If nothing else, this episode is another great study of ignorance in action. From here, it's not difficult to see how obfuscations of the climate change issue or Intelligent Design are able to gain a foothold in society. The level of scientific discourse in the United States is disgraceful at the moment, and it starts with local school boards banning or marginalizing scientifically defensible material out of fear of reprisals from dumbass parents.
    Full circle. Good point.

Drez on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Agem wrote:
    Drez wrote:

I feel your pain, Agem.

And we come full circle.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Agem wrote:
    Drez wrote:

I feel your pain, Agem.

I really, really want a study where people get shown this video and are asked about whether or not they think it's real.

Agem on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Agem wrote:
    Agem wrote:
    Drez wrote:

I feel your pain, Agem.

I really, really want a study where people get shown this video and are asked about whether or not they think it's real.

That periodic table is fucking amazing.

Also, What are birds? We just don't know. is pure, unadulterated genius.

Seriously, H20? (as in Htwenty)

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Fencingsax wrote:
    Agem wrote:
    Agem wrote:
    Drez wrote:

I feel your pain, Agem.

That periodic table is fucking amazing.

Also, What are birds? We just don't know. is pure, unadulterated genius.

Seriously, H20? (as in Htwenty)

That was an awesome video.

They should play it in schools.

Anyone who doesn't laugh should be held back.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    Spaten OptimatorSpaten Optimator Smooth Operator Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Thants

Spaten Optimator on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Thants

Blants.

:cry:

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I love how he has to get the egg out of the boiling water, and he just reaches in with his hand and grabs it.

Smasher on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Look Around You is actually a whole series. I thought you guys had probably already seen it, but there are a lot of them up on YouTube if you haven't.

Agem on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Smasher wrote:
    I love how he has to get the egg out of the boiling water, and he just reaches in with his hand and grabs it.

It's 1000 degrees!

Man I haven't laughed this hard in awhile.

Look for the new Albumen. It's out now!

Drez on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    The Maths one is also genius. Bed now.

Fencingsax on