As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Spike TV announces VGA Nominees

• Options
    cheezcheez Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I appreciate that they limited VA nominations to humans. Keep these awards within the species, boys.

cheez on
  • Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Soul Calibur IV will win best fighting came cuz of, well, you know... titties

And why doesn't Smash Bros. get a nomination for best multiplayer?

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Soul Calibur will win best fighter

And it will be due to a massive Star Wars product placement ad, and the videos of the game will show Yoda, Vader, and the Apprentice.

Nobody else.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    MH79 wrote: »

Because Multiplayer is code for "Best Shooter Again" here at Spike TV's Video Game Gears of aWards.

cheez on
  • Options
    ExarchExarch Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Terrible lists.

Dead Space not even being in the running for Game of the Year? Or sound design?

Exarch on
    No gods or kings, only man.
    LoL: BunyipAristocrat
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Spoit wrote: »
    psyck0 wrote: »
    Well, that is a horrible list IMHO and stupidly biased towards FPS-and-boob-loving-males, but then again that is pretty much Spike's entire audience, so it makes sense.

I will just ignore these like I do every year.

But really, how different do you expect all the other lists to be?

More Dead Space, More Mirror's Edge, probably more L4D and PoP once they're out.

Khavall on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Exarch wrote: »
    Terrible lists.

Well there isn't a general sound design award.

If there was there'd be no point because Dead Space would automatically win.

Khavall on
  • Options
    psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Well, that is a horrible list IMHO and stupidly biased towards FPS-and-boob-loving-males, but then again that is pretty much Spike's entire audience, so it makes sense.

I'm hoping that games that aren't about killing stuff might appear on a few of them...

No, that'd be stupid. The "hardcore gamers" think that games not involving killing people are for pussies, and we must all cater to the hardcore gamers!

psyck0 on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Khavall wrote: »
    Exarch wrote: »
    Terrible lists.

Well there isn't a general sound design award.

If there was there'd be no point because Dead Space would automatically win.

It would be close between Dead Space and Silent Hill Homecoming. SHH may have been generally mediocre, but the sound and music for the game was holy shit awesome.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    seasleepyseasleepy Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Sorenson wrote: »
    Best Soundtrack
    LittleBigPlanet
    Grand Theft Auto IV
    Rock Band 2
    Guitar Hero World Tour

Did anybody else find this to be highly depressing, and/or a joke? Not to knock Michael Hunter's incidentals and theme work... but nearly 90% of the game's soundtrack are just licensed tracks.

Same with Rock Band... and Guitar Hero World Tour.

Best Soundtrack is just "Spike's Best iPod Playlist"
    Didn't the 50 Cent game win this catagory one year? I certainely remember a great deal of mockery of that catagory one round.

Oh man, I just looked up the past winners. It seems that they had a category for scores... but this year there is no "Best Original Score" category? Go figure.

2007: Best Original Score - Bioshock
    2006: Best Original Score - The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (Bethesda Softworks)

Looks like composers get another awards show on PBS.

Best Original Score
    Fallout 3
    Spore
    Metal Gear Solid 4
    LittleBigPlanet

seasleepy on
    Steam | Nintendo: seasleepy | PSN: seasleepy1
  • Options
    mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008

No voice chat

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    mugginns wrote: »

No voice chat

While I enjoy online play, it isn't the only form of multiplayer.

Peewi on
  • Options
    mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Peewi wrote: »
    mugginns wrote: »

No voice chat

While I enjoy online play, it isn't the only form of multiplayer.
    It is the most important

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    cheez wrote: »
    I appreciate that they limited VA nominations to humans. Keep these awards within the species, boys.

The Dog (Fable II)

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    darleysam wrote: »

The Dog (Fable II)

Was probably done by Frank Welker. The man does so many animals voices in cartoons, it's disturbing. :)

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Gyral wrote: »
    darleysam wrote: »

The Dog (Fable II)

Was probably done by Frank Welker. The man does so many animals voices in cartoons, it's disturbing. :)

Damn, if so, the dude deserves the award.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    angrylinuxgeekangrylinuxgeek Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

I'm hoping that games that aren't about killing stuff might appear on a few of them...

No, that'd be stupid. The "hardcore gamers" think that games not involving killing people are for pussies, and we must all cater to the hardcore gamers!

This is such an ignorant attitude and I'm getting so tired of seeing it around G&T. Who's to say the games they picked aren't better than whatever minigames you are hoping would be on there?

What exactly would you have put in place of these "killing games"?

angrylinuxgeek on
    sQwJu.png
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    This is such an ignorant attitude and I'm getting so tired of seeing it around G&T. Who's to say the games they picked aren't better than whatever minigames you are hoping would be on there?

I don't think "hardcore gamer" means what he thinks he means, and I'm pretty sure his criticism isn't even directed at the right place.

What he probably means to say is that "we must all cater to mainstream/mass marketed games, or give nominations to so-so games if we're paid enough *cough50 Cent: Bulletproofcough*"

edit: It wasn't terrible, but awards nod worthy? hardly.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    edited November 2008

I don't think "hardcore gamer" means what he thinks he means, and I'm pretty sure his criticism isn't even directed at the right place.

What he probably means to say is that "we must all cater to mainstream/mass marketed games, or give nominations to so-so games if we're paid enough *cough50 Cent: Bulletproofcough*"

I can't find that in the list in the OP. Is it nominated for something not listed in the OP?

angrylinuxgeek on
    sQwJu.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008

I can't find that in the list in the OP. Is it nominated for something not listed in the OP?

It was a past nomination...

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Either way though, just because, say, Gears of War 2 has a mass audience appeal doesn't mean it's a bad game. It's an awesome game. There are reasons that other games should be on the list but "PEOPLE LIKE THEM" isn't one of them.

Khavall on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Either way though, just because, say, Gears of War 2 has a mass audience appeal doesn't mean it's a bad game. It's an awesome game. There are reasons that other games should be on the list but "PEOPLE LIKE THEM" isn't one of them.

Nowhere did I say that mainstream/mass marketed games were bad games.

The "give nominations to so-so games if we're paid enough" was mostly directed to 50's game getting nominations... I had said it was shitty at first, but as I thought about it, it really wasn't all that bad. Should it have been nominated for awards? Nah.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Nowhere did I say that mainstream/mass marketed games were bad games.

The "give nominations to so-so games if we're paid enough" was mostly directed to 50's game getting nominations... I had said it was shitty at first, but as I thought about it, it really wasn't all that bad. Should it have been nominated for awards? Nah.
    No you were right, it was the post about how whatshisface was annoyed that there were games with action that people who play games like.

Khavall on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Christ, you guys are thick.

It was a post about how I was annoyed that there are so few games nominated that don't involve blowing shit up. Every year, the winners are games that copy other games that blow shit up with a few improvements. There are some absolutely fantastic games out there, made by smaller companies with smaller budgets, that are far more engaging and fun than blowing more shit up, but they never get a nod because that would piss off the "hardcore gamer" crowd that these awards are trying to cater to. The fallacy is that the "hardcore gamer" crowd is so much more diverse than these idiots assume and I am pissed off that they are so narrow in their views. My use of the term "hardcore gamer" was ironic (note that irony is more subtle than sarcasm, and so I am not surprised you all missed it) and pointed at the fact that "hardcore gamer" does NOT mean idiots who play nothing but FPSes or games with giant boobies.

psyck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Or it could just as easily be that more popular things are prone to win more popularity contests.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Several flaws with that.

First, these aren't supposed to be popularity contests, they're supposed to be awards to the best. The best aren't always popular. Second, several extremely popular games aren't on that list because they're not FPSes (Spore, anyone?)

psyck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008

It was a post about how I was annoyed that there are so few games nominated that don't involve blowing shit up. Every year, the winners are games that copy other games that blow shit up with a few improvements. There are some absolutely fantastic games out there, made by smaller companies with smaller budgets, that are far more engaging and fun than blowing more shit up, but they never get a nod because that would piss off the "hardcore gamer" crowd that these awards are trying to cater to. The fallacy is that the "hardcore gamer" crowd is so much more diverse than these idiots assume and I am pissed off that they are so narrow in their views. My use of the term "hardcore gamer" was ironic (note that irony is more subtle than sarcasm, and so I am not surprised you all missed it) and pointed at the fact that "hardcore gamer" does NOT mean idiots who play nothing but FPSes or games with giant boobies.

Can you list some examples for all of us dim-witted posters?

angrylinuxgeek on
    sQwJu.png
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Several flaws with that.

First, these aren't supposed to be popularity contests, they're supposed to be awards to the best. The best aren't always popular. Second, several extremely popular games aren't on that list because they're not FPSes (Spore, anyone?)

I don't think I understand your point. How is "BEST PC GAME" as decided by a panel of judges not a popularity contest? The best game will be the most popular because it will get the most votes. Games don't get popular by sucking and being not fun to play. They get popular by being good games - even if they're not games that you enjoy personally.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The Spike TV Video Game Awards is most definitely a popularity contest.

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Uh, this is Spike TV. Why are we attributing anything to their awards show that would assume they would nominate or award "the best" games? It's a glorified commercial where they slap product names all over everything to make a buck.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008

It was a post about how I was annoyed that there are so few games nominated that don't involve blowing shit up. Every year, the winners are games that copy other games that blow shit up with a few improvements. There are some absolutely fantastic games out there, made by smaller companies with smaller budgets, that are far more engaging and fun than blowing more shit up, but they never get a nod because that would piss off the "hardcore gamer" crowd that these awards are trying to cater to.The fallacy is that the "hardcore gamer" crowd is so much more diverse than these idiots assume and I am pissed off that they are so narrow in their views. My use of the term "hardcore gamer" was ironic (note that irony is more subtle than sarcasm, and so I am not surprised you all missed it) and pointed at the fact that "hardcore gamer" does NOT mean idiots who play nothing but FPSes or games with giant boobies.

"What he probably means to say is that "we must all cater to mainstream/mass marketed games, or give nominations to so-so games if we're paid enough *cough50 Cent: Bulletproofcough*"

Try clarity before wit? Just a suggestion.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    jclast wrote: »
    Several flaws with that.

I don't think I understand your point. How is "BEST PC GAME" as decided by a panel of judges not a popularity contest? The best game will be the most popular because it will get the most votes. Games don't get popular by sucking and being not fun to play. They get popular by being good games - even if they're not games that you enjoy personally.

There is a curve, whereby in most art forms the mediocre is the most popular, e.g. McDonalds. No one would ever say that McDonalds is the best food on the planet, but damn they sure sell a hell of a lot of food.

But video games just haven't really advanced to the point where there's that huge of a divide between the experimental and the mainstream in terms of quality, and while there are some indie games that are astoundingly artistic, they tend to be fucking shitty games, because the tools to make games just aren't there, and gaming isn't respected enough yet as an artform that there is a way to support oneself just by making super-artistic, experimental games.

The idea that Passage is a better game than GeoW2 is laughable, for instance.

Khavall on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

You being obtuse and unclear in your phrasing and point doesn't make us stupid.

Khavall on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Apparently being 'small' or 'indie' automatically puts you above anything else. Who knew?

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Also look at something as structured as music.

How many of you listen to Brian Ferneyhough? I bet if you did you would get about 30 seconds in and switch to listening to something more popular. Ferneyhough is an amazing composer, absolutely brilliant, but his stuff requires training to enjoy correctly. If most of you were played Terrain side by side with Say it ain't so, I bet you'd say Say it ain't so is better, because Terrain would just sound like a horrible, horrible mess of shit to untrained ears.

Classical musicians don't get in a tizzy when the Grammy goes to whoever the Grammys go to instead of Ligeti and Adams.

Khavall on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Several flaws with that.

While I couldn't agree more that these lists are stupidly heavy on shooters...
    Best PC Game
    Spore
    Crysis Warhead
    Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning
    Left 4 Dead

Best Original Score
    Fallout 3
    Spore
    Metal Gear Solid 4
    LittleBigPlanet

O_o?

cheez on
  • Options
    KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Several flaws with that.

While I couldn't agree more that these lists are stupidly heavy on shooters...
    Best PC Game
    Spore
    Crysis Warhead
    Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning
    Left 4 Dead

Best Original Score
    Fallout 3
    Spore
    Metal Gear Solid 4
    LittleBigPlanet

O_o?

AAA titles in general are heavy on shooters. Because that's what is hot now.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Sins of a Solar Empire is disgustingly lacking. Spore should be up for more if this is purely a popularity contest. de Blob should be in there for music, as should TWEWY. Mario Kart Wii should be up for more.

I'm not trying to say that indie games are better because they're indie, I'm trying to say that I'm tired of these awards ignoring them simply because they don't come from big-name developers. I do realise that Spore and MKWii aren't indie, and TWEWY had square behind it (although it is an entirely new IP.)

psyck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    IT'S SPIKE. IT'S MARKETING BULLSHIT. NOBODY CARES.

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Sins of a Solar Empire is disgustingly lacking. Spore should be up for more if this is purely a popularity contest. de Blob should be in there for music, as should TWEWY. Mario Kart Wii should be up for more.

I'm not trying to say that indie games are better because they're indie, I'm trying to say that I'm tired of these awards ignoring them simply because they don't come from big-name developers. I do realise that Spore and MKWii aren't indie, and TWEWY had square behind it (although it is an entirely new IP.)

so you're just raging against the machine because your games didn't make the cut

k

angrylinuxgeek on
    sQwJu.png