As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

ROCK BAND - Use the new thread

• Options
    MarikirMarikir Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    haha theyre actually doing that? fuuuuck

I'm trying to find a news story that confirms this...and so far, I'm not finding anything, but I could have SWORN that I read something about that.

Might have just been speculation on the part of the article's author or something like that. I can't get to the MTV story at the moment. Of course, I also might have made it up.

If so, I apologize for misleading you.

Marikir on
    steam_sig.png "Hiding in plain sight." PSN/XBL: Marikir
  • Options
    the Togfatherthe Togfather Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I'm guessing the Beatles versions of the instruments and the existing RB/GHWT instruments will all be cross compatible. Didn't GH:Aerosmith have its own guitar? They'll probably put more effort into the Beatles ones, but they'll be compatible.

Yeah, the article I read did say that RB instruments would be fully compatible with Un-named Beatles Game, and I highly doubt they wouldn't make them work the other way too. So while it's not a 'Rock Band' branded game, and is a 'completely separate effort', the instrument thing is still a big enough deal I think. Those with instruments can get game only, and those without instruments are probably Beatles nuts who would want Beatles themed instruments anyway. And then there's the true nut jobs that have to have it all.

the Togfather on
    The night is dark and full of terrors.
    twit feed
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I have a hard time thinking they'll produce iconic instruments for the Beatles game. Consider that Paul is probably more know for that Hofner bass, and George and John used all kinds of different styles. George had a Gretsch that would work with the Fender license but I believe he also used a bunch of different Gibsons amongst others. John used a few Epiphones and they both used Rickenbackers.

I imagine licensing those makers just to display in the game would be a pain. Let alone redesigning the controller just for one game... If anything, I'd bet it'll be a third party that attempts to do it. And if somebody made a RB compatible guitar with the solo frets using the RIC style, I'd be on that shit in a minute!

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    And if somebody made a RB compatible guitar with the solo frets using the RIC style

Can you tell me what this means?

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Kor wrote: »
    And if somebody made a RB compatible guitar with the solo frets using the RIC style

Rickenbacker International Corporation. RIC is essentially their logo.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    MarikirMarikir Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Kor wrote: »

Rickenbacker International Corporation. RIC is essentially their logo.

Oh, you mean the entire guitar.

I thought you were referring to a specific way of doing the solo frets and was curious myself. I understand now.

Marikir on
    steam_sig.png "Hiding in plain sight." PSN/XBL: Marikir
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Same here. :P

Kor on
  • Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Damn you, FedEx. How is it that UPS can figure out a way to get into my building, but as soon as you see a locked door you figure it's a lost cause?

Shady3011 on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2008
    If Beattles Band can export, and it has keyboard tracks, it'd be relatively simple to just not export the keyboard part of the MIDI, or they could just include it and perhaps RB and RB2 can just ignore the extra tracks.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I personally want to see WHERE the keyboard track will fit. The only semi-cool idea I can think of is to SHARE the vocal bar with the singer (and eliminate the static vocal mode) somehow, because there just is not any more space. They're actually very lucky they came up with the keyboard first because there's no precident set for how to read the notes. So since everyone would be learning how to play it at the same time, creating a side-scrolling keyboard chart would be fine.

Haha, I'd love to see the guys from HMX working on this. The guys who decide the layout of the screen have to just be staring at a still of a full-band song in RB2 and going "We need to fit what, where?"

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    GobboGobbo Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Without meaning to be really late to the party here (forgive me, I'm Australian...)...

How likely is this GHWT Drums + RB2 PS3 non-compatibility thing going to be fixed anytime soon? And it's likely to be a patch to the RB2 software rather than the GHWT drums firmware... right?

Seems strange that they'd be alienating potential sales by not having the hardware and software working together leading up to the Xmas period. Then again, I guess that could be a ploy to get additional hardware sales...

Gobbo on
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    They've said they're looking at getting a patch out for drum compatibility for the PS3.

Their explanation was that they didn't get a chance to test out the PS3 drums until GHWT was released, i.e. Activision didn't send HMX one early. Then there's the whole Sony thing to deal with.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    MorganMorgan Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Shady3011 wrote: »
    Damn you, FedEx. How is it that UPS can figure out a way to get into my building, but as soon as you see a locked door you figure it's a lost cause?

Poor Shady... o_O

Morgan on
    Erandus is a douchebag
  • Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I really want my new RB2 instruments. These old ones are, well, old.

Shady3011 on
  • Options
    FightTestFightTest Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    On the unhappy side of UPS I shipped my pads back to EA last Wednesday and I got an email from them yesterday saying that they hadn't been received yet and reminding me that I'm going to get a $125 raping if they don't get them within a certain (short) return window. Like what the fuck am I going to do? It's in UPS's hands now.

Stupid me forgot to write down the return tracking number also, so I can't even check the status of them. Hopefully EA has the tracking number logged since they shipped me the label to return it so if there's an issue I can tell them to check it out.

FightTest on
    MOBA DOTA.
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Oh yeah, thats right, I'm awesome:
    Gobbo wrote: »
    Soo... I get home after work tonight with the choice of either opening GHWT which I'd just bought (came out in Oz today *finally*), or the mysterious package from somewhere in Ameriland from a Secret Santa....
    mk6yg.jpg
    Of course, GHWT could wait a little while (I'd waited plenty already), so Fido the cat and I got to opening the tube (obviously came from the internets):
    28vajr4.jpg
    Hang on a minute... what's this...??
    xc0zlw.jpg
    DRUMSTICKS AND A GUITAR STRAP?!?! JEEZUS FARKING CHRIST SANTA ARE YOU HIDING IN THE CEILING WATCHING ME?!?! Not only that, but it came with a note!! (note that the feet weren't in the tube too - the missus was standing over wondering why I was getting a random parcel in the post)
    312d08l.jpg
    I'm more of the forum lurking type due to that whole 'work' thing, but Mario Bomb or not I'm gonna hunt you down and thank you personally. Which will most likely be over the forums tomorrow when I get to work cos hey... I've spent the rest of tonight rocking on GHWT with the new snazzy drumsticks (the missus gave the guitar strap a shot with rave reviews - I gave it a shot, and it's soo much smoother (and sexier) than the stock one :D:D). A pic of the final setup (taken while the game was downloading the 19MB patch required before I even played a note):
    adjate.jpg
    As for the note - fingers crossed the sticks will ward off the carpal tunnel thing, but in the meantime they've got a nicer feel and bounce to them than the standard ones! :D I haven't impressed a heap of ladies with the plastic instrument skills quite yet, but when I do I'll be sure to bring them home to see that the missus approves :)

Thank you sooo much again SS - the presents are awesome, and deliberate or not, you really couldn't have picked your delivery date any better :)
    (and yes, come work time tomorrow,I will stalk you... ;) )

Kor on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    FightTest wrote: »
    On the unhappy side of UPS I shipped my pads back to EA last Wednesday and I got an email from them yesterday saying that they hadn't been received yet and reminding me that I'm going to get a $125 raping if they don't get them within a certain (short) return window. Like what the fuck am I going to do? It's in UPS's hands now.

Stupid me forgot to write down the return tracking number also, so I can't even check the status of them. Hopefully EA has the tracking number logged since they shipped me the label to return it so if there's an issue I can tell them to check it out.

EA seems cool with getting thier stuff back - I actually totally forgot to send my stuff back, and put it in the mail 2 days before the deadline. They charged my card $125, but without me even calling to explain, 2 days later they sent me an e-mail thanking me and reversed the charge. So I'd say keep an eye on it, but you're more than likely fine.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I have those anti-vibe sticks. They are a godsend for fast songs.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    GobboGobbo Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    I have those anti-vibe sticks. They are a godsend for fast songs.
    They're great (thanks Kor!:D), though I'm sure I'm not able to fully appreciate them yet... still working on getting my head and hand-eye coordination up to speed first :P

Gobbo on
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Daedalus wrote: »
    I need a new guitar. My wireless GH3 neck finally stopped getting contact on certain buttons and my GH2 Xplorers are starting to grate on me with their constantly-shifting whammy bars. I primarily play Rock Band 2 at this point, although picking up GHWT down the line is not out of the question.

Here's the question for those who've used them: which guitar should I get, the RB2 guitar or the GHWT guitar bundle w/game?

Buy yourself a bottle of isopropyl alcohol, a fuckton of cotton swabs, and a Torx T10 screwdriver. Disassemble the GH3 guitar's neck part and clean all the built up dirt, dried sweat, etc, on the circuit board and button contacts. Then clean the neck contacts, both on the neck half and the guitar half.

My GH3 guitar used to be unusable and now it works like new.

Holy shit, you win.

I'm still buying a new guitar anyway, but at least this way my roomies won't be stuck with the Xplorer when they want to play.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2008
    Also I found out recently that you can just rip the frets right off a strat to clean them.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    bigwordsconfusebigwordsconfuse Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    /rant

Ugh, reading that holiday season comment...I just can't help feeling that GH:WT we'll end up selling more just on brand name this season. Aside from a song here and there, it's not as fun as Rock Band. But that damn name has so much mindshare it pisses me off.

/rant off

I tell everyone who buys GHWT at target that rock band is better.
    no exception.

bigwordsconfuse on
    Xbox Gamertag: JosephStahlin
    PSN ID: Joseff_stalin
    Steam ID: Joseff_stalin (man, what an unhealthy trend of handles..)
  • Options
    McClyMcCly Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    /rant

Ugh, reading that holiday season comment...I just can't help feeling that GH:WT we'll end up selling more just on brand name this season. Aside from a song here and there, it's not as fun as Rock Band. But that damn name has so much mindshare it pisses me off.

/rant off

I tell everyone who buys GHWT at target that rock band is better.
    no exception.

Same here. I work at Best Buy. We just got a shitload of 360 WT special editions that are taking up space, though.

McCly on
    kbellchewiesig.jpg
  • Options
    existexist Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Just to clarify, are their any differences between rock band 1 DLC and rock band 2 DLC?

If I download rock band 1 DLC, and then go play it on rock band 2 later, will it be any different than if I download the same DLC from the rock band 2 page?

exist on
    UmPiq.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    The only difference would be the possibility of seeing hammer on chords in Rock Band 2 on guitar. Other than that, there aren't any real differences.

Oh and the Rock Band 2 talky system is far more forgiving than the one in Rock Band 1.

Arikado on
  • Options
    existexist Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Ballin'

i am going to catch up on some dlc

goddamn this shit is getting expensive

exist on
    UmPiq.png
  • Options
    scootchscootch Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    FightTest wrote: »

the reminder is automated and you will get one no matter you do.

scootch on
    TF2 stats
    PSN: super_emu
    Xbox360 Gamertag: Emuchop
  • Options
    midgetspymidgetspy Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Maybe it's just because I enjoy the game so much, but RB is probably one of the most frustrating games I've ever owned. No matter what I do it seems like that there is always some bug or problem that is actively trying to prevent me from enjoying myself.

My drums were broken out of the box so I sent them back the week RB2 came out (for PS3). After over 2 weeks I haven't heard anything, so I call them to make sure they received my broken ones and that everything was going properly. They tell me they weren't anticipating so many problems with the hardware (wtf?) and so they were really short supplied. They are supposed to receive a bunch of drums in a week so I should expect mine maybe a week after that (4+ weeks after my RMA). Then, as he scans the rest of my ticket, he pauses a sec and says: "Oh, you're in Canada." Turns out it may well be Christmas before I get a set of drums that works (or a new broken set at least).

So I continue to play on my RB1 drums, barely able to hear the music over the clack-clack-clack, while my quiet, wireless, velocity sensitive RB2 drums sit in the corner, useless, taunting. :-( As an additional slap in the face, my extra RB1 guitar broke for good today as well. And since I can't even RMA it anymore, it's just a $60 paperweight now. I guess with a suckier game I would have just given up by now, but I like it too much to quit so I just keep banging my head against the wall and hope some day it'll all work properly, lol.

*sigh* What a depressing post, hah. Time for bed ;-P

midgetspy on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Holy shit, they finally shipped my replacement drums out. Only 16 days after I got the tracking number.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Man, what the fuck

Monkey Wrench is like hard as balls now. I could consistently FC it on GH2, but I struggled with the Rock Band 2 chart and just got 95%. :(

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Also, in ten minutes, I leave on a weekend-long trip to Atlanta. Not sure if I'll have the Internet there...

But I can check my e-mail from my phone, so if someone could do me a HUGE favor and send me an e-mail at to let me know what today's DLC announcement is, I'd be forever grateful.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Downloadable Content for November 18
    Dead Kennedys 3 Pack!

California Uber Alles
    Holiday In Cambodia
    Police Truck

Mission Of Burma 3 Pack!

Mica
    That's How I Escaped My Certain Fate
    That's When I Reach For My Revolver

Century Media Girls of Metal 3 Pack!

In This Moment - Forever
    Lacuna Coil - Closer
    Lacuna Coil - Swamped

Crooked X Single!

Crooked X - Gone

Each track is available for $1.99 (160 Microsoft Points) or $5.49 (440 Microsoft Points) for the complete three pack... EXCEPT for the Crooked X Single, which is only $0.99 (80 Microsoft Points).

All tracks are masters.

JonBob on
    jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Man, someone needs to do that math again for how many songs HMX has to average to hit 500 before the year is up.

Also, we're still missing SRV and No doubt for albums, right? All others have made it out?

edit: Wait, was there a Jane's Addiction album, too?

Kor on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    OP my friend

Arikado on
  • Options
    skippymchaggisskippymchaggis Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    i don't really care if it's blasphemous to someone, but that's a pretty underwhelming list for next week.

skippymchaggis on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Sweet, more Lacuna Coil. Not my favorite songs of theirs, but I'll definitely be grabbing those.

Swamped was the song during the credits of V:tM:Bloodlines, for those not familiar with them.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I dunno, I mean, even if I didn't see anything that I knew I liked immediately, 10 songs in one week is pretty awesome. Considering it isn't an album.

I'm sure when I preview them in the Music Store I'll find 2 or 3 that I like.

Kor on
  • Options
    arod_77arod_77 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    dead kennedys yesss

arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I think Closer was on Guitar Hero 3.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    toolberttoolbert Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Sweet, more Lacuna Coil. Not my favorite songs of theirs, but I'll definitely be grabbing those.

Swamped was the song during the credits of V:tM:Bloodlines, for those not familiar with them.

I think it was also on the Resident Evil: Apocalypse Soundtrack...I'd prefer Heaven's a Lie from that album, but Swamped is good too. Yay for Holiday in Cambodia =3. The lead singer for the Dead Kennedys showed up at a Tool show I went to and they covered that....it was freaking awesome and I'm glad its in RB.

toolbert on