As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

get your fresh, hot steaming piles of [CHAT]

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    quick, help - somebody post that comic where that famous guy (forget who) is asked something about a woman getting hit by a car or something, and he just says "what was she doing....out of the kitchen?" and then there's a cityscape and the word "yeeeeeeeeah" over it

NightDragon on
  • Options
    no_toastno_toast Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    There's like million versions of that. But I think you mean the CSI: Miami guy David Caruso, right?

no_toast on
  • Options
    winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    What is up with the new Banjo Kazooie character designs? Are we supposed to think Banjo is a real badass?

a5ki1h.jpg

It's like there is a rule that all platform genre characters have to come equipped with a STUPID GRIN on their face!!!

2nh3u61.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2008
    Forbe! wrote: »
    That animal planet one is awful.

God, I know. I'm glad somebody agrees.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Going off of those designs...

You know how every decade/clump of ~20 years has a distinct "style?" At least in the past 100 years (most recognizably, at least?).......looking at those logo redesigns made me think: this is what the 2010's will look like.....all the redesigns (or the majority) have this bright, springy, innocent child-like ...happiness to them, almost...I don't know how to really describe it....upbeat? bright colors, "fun" patterns and shapes, smooth'd out things, lots of curves...is this what'll define the look of this decade? Almost back to the 60's/70's, but more modernized and "controlled".

Obviously my thoughts on this aren't limited to only those designs, but it seems like it's been a trend in the past few years.

I think some of the bright, child-like colors are associated with companies trying to softer their image the most. Wal-mart, for example, went from a strong, all caps blocky almost militant logo to something you'd find above the doorway to a preschool. Same with Best Buy. They've also gone to lowercase letters that aren't bold and blocky, though with Best Buy I admit I like the direction they are going.

As far as branding goes, it's the right move. They took the already recognizable yellow price tag thing and simplified it even further, yet even without the store's name inside is still works. It won't be long they'll be able to just displayed that little pricetag outline and people will know exactly what the store is--think, in the same manner as the "golden arches".

What confuses the bugs out of me is the number of companies that are using awkward, complicated gradient or "3D" designs in their logos. Especially ones that used to have solid designs and now have some gradient filled mess. I don't think MasterCard was on that list, but their new logo is fucking atrocious. But like, Xerox? The lettering looks great but that gradient laden clown nose next to it is terrible. HP as well went from a strong, bold logo to something glossy and "3D" and full of too many PS filters. CNET's logo essentially didn't change, except to take out what was good about it and add a shitty gradient shadow. Same with CaptialOne. Nice fucking gradient boomerang. This is what passes as design?

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    WinterKnight that rule is as old as Sonic the Hedgehog. Sheesh.

• Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited November 2008
    I don't like gradients and the awkward "thing next to a word" combo, where the thing is way the hell off in some random ass direction. Other than that they're generally ok (except for Animal Planet and that stupid Museum one, I mean I know before it was just 3 words in Times New Roman but that multicolored vomit thing isn't good either).

Also, that crap is known as 'Tude, and yeah it started with Sonic; futilely trying to reassure kids on the cusp of becoming "big kids" that it was ok to play their brightly colored, non-violent E for Everyone game because the main character is secretly some kind of badass in a deliberately non-specific way.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I LOVE this conversation, but I have to work. Has anyone seen Pepsi's new logo? I don't think it's bad looking, but I don't think it represents the brand very well. When your biggest enemy is an image genius like Coca-Cola, I don't think you can afford to slip up. I hope things go well for Pepsi.

I also hate gradients and multi-colored logos for purely technical reasons. More on this during my lunch break.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Gotta love the typography on their 1898/1906 logos!
    logo_pepsi.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited November 2008
    Thanks for the condolences, guys. Last night was pretty rough. I know she was just a cat and I really shouldn't be feeling so incredibly bad but she was a good cat and I loved her. I have to go pick her up from the vet today so I can bring her home and bury her in my yard. This will be the first time that I'll be doing this. In the past my father has buried our pets that have passed on to the grand lodge in the sky. I've always been spared that sorrowful act of closure. I'm not sure how I'm going to deal with it but it's not going to be a fun way to start my weekend.

Grifter on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Grifter wrote: »
    Thanks for the condolences, guys. Last night was pretty rough. I know she was just a cat and I really shouldn't be feeling so incredibly bad but she was a good cat and I loved her. I have to go pick her up from the vet today so I can bring her home and bury her in my yard. This will be the first time that I'll be doing this. In the past my father has buried our pets that have passed on to the grand lodge in the sky. I've always been spared that sorrowful act of closure. I'm not sure how I'm going to deal with it but it's not going to be a fun way to start my weekend.

You never have to think of another living being that gave you comfort and companionship as "just a _____", Grif. She was your cat and your friend and we all hope she rests in peace. And all strength to you as well.

Tam on
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2008
    Griff i cried and cried when my parents gave my dog away, I spent so much time with him and he gave me a lotta love and joy. You shouldn't be ashamed of caring about and mourning your pet.

Iruka on
  • Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I know I'm late but, also really sorry to hear that Grifter. But, I agree with Tam. I'm gonna go home and give my dog extra pets tonight.

On pepsi redesign... honestly I'm not a fan. I especially don't like how the logo changes throughout their different pepsi products. I understand where they're going with it (diet pepsi smaller stripe, to pepsi max with a bigger white stripe) but I really don't think I'm a fan. I think if they stuck to one logo I'd be a little more happy with it.

Edit: guuuuuuuh?!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qp60R4h2utM&eurl=http://handcraftedmedia.blogspot.com/2008/11/design-for-good.html

Prospicience on
  • Options
    DeeLockDeeLock Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Is recepted a word?

Like for something to be well recepted?

I thought it was...how else would you say that?

DeeLock on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Well received.

Had a positive reception.

• Options
    LoomdunLoomdun Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Holy crap its definitely true as to how war always brings new technology by strange situations

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    That is the coolest thing I have seen in a long time. I'ma go cut my arms off now.
    What I want to know, though, is how he's controlling it. I seem to remember reading something about getting electrical impulses directly from nerves, but I can't remember if it was something fictional or real.

Surfpossum on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I know I'm late but, also really sorry to hear that Grifter. But, I agree with Tam. I'm gonna go home and give my dog extra pets tonight.

On pepsi redesign... honestly I'm not a fan. I especially don't like how the logo changes throughout their different pepsi products. I understand where they're going with it (diet pepsi smaller stripe, to pepsi max with a bigger white stripe) but I really don't think I'm a fan. I think if they stuck to one logo I'd be a little more happy with it.

Edit: guuuuuuuh?!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qp60R4h2utM&eurl=http://handcraftedmedia.blogspot.com/2008/11/design-for-good.html

This. This right here. I almost cried.

This is exemplifies almost everything I love about science.

Tam on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Tam wrote: »
    This. This right here. I almost cried.

This is exemplifies almost everything I love about science.

Seriously man, I always wish I know more about science when I see videos like this one.

Prospicience on
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited November 2008
    Iruka wrote: »
    Griff i cried and cried when my parents gave my dog away, I spent so much time with him and he gave me a lotta love and joy. You shouldn't be ashamed of caring about and mourning your pet.

They gave away Hatari?

bombardier on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I've asked a lot of girls out... but today is the first time a girl has asked me out. I feel pretty cool!

Edit: Dammit, that was not meant to be top of the page!

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    You are pretty cool, and don't you let anyone tell you otherwise!*

*granny voice

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Thanks Grandma Adam! Can I have some cookies?

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    just remember magic toaster. Nobody scores with extra attention.

http://nobodyscores.loosenutstudio.com/index.php?id=404

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I feel like throwing up. Everytime i finish a large Whopper Meal, i always say "i'm never eating Hungry Jacks again!". I never learn...

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Check out how my friend Elliot draws. For the record, this is the guy who reminds me very much of Megamau_X:
    n510133644_1071188_9422.jpg

n510133644_1096134_1610.jpg

Fun guy to talk to.

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    as in mars elliot?

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Yes, he posts images for mars elliot.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    NeoRedXIIINeoRedXIII Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    from mars.

NeoRedXIII on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    No, as in my friend from school Elliot, not the best damn mod on the forums Elliot. There's a difference you see.

Also, this comic is hilarious:

2008-11-12.jpg

Godfather on
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2008
    What comic is that from, Godfather?

My Ipod broke again, this time it wasnt my fault and it just stopped playing out of the right ear. They just kinda chuck a new one at you when you still have a warranty, I guess, cause when I went to the apple store thats what they did. This is now Obby the 3rd.

edit: totally missed this,
    bombardier wrote: »

They gave away Hatari?

Yeah, my freshman year they decided they didn't want to/couldn't take care of him. He was pretty much my dog, I did everything aside from pay for his food and take him to the vet. He was pretty much alone for 8-12 hours a day. Would just lay in the basement where my desk used to be waiting for me to come home, even when my parents tried to get him to hang out upstairs with them. They gave him to a family of a retired veterinarian with two teenagers, and I hope hes much happier now.

Iruka on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    The Abomidable Charles Christopher!

http://www.abominable.cc/2007/06/20/episode-1/

A truly great read!

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I seee. I'm having a mid drawing crisis, I'm very weak in drawing hands in comparison to other things. I must practice now endlessly, if I dont fill my entire sketchbook with hands by 3 days I shall explode.

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    BEat'd!

Prospicience on
  • Options
    ShiboeShiboe Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Godfather wrote: »
    The Abomidable Charles Christopher!

http://www.abominable.cc/2007/06/20/episode-1/

A truly great read!

I'm not really getting the writing or direction of this, but hot damn the art is good!

Shiboe on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Love that comic posted.

And wow, Godfather, your friend's really good! Tell him to maek poast. :)

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I've finally got something productive to do during my 4 months off University. I enrolled into the Simon Scales Concept Desgn Workshop. He did a presentation at Uni a few weeks back and it was fantastic. It's going to be 2 nights a week over 4 weeks. Can't wait.

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2008
    forbe, this might seem nitpicky but your title is bugging the shit out of me.

it's sat by Thebes below the wall.

sorry, but that's my favourite poem, ever. :D

Yeah, my freshman year they decided they didn't want to/couldn't take care of him. He was pretty much my dog, I did everything aside from pay for his food and take him to the vet. He was pretty much alone for 8-12 hours a day. Would just lay in the basement where my desk used to be waiting for me to come home, even when my parents tried to get him to hang out upstairs with them.

this image makes me so sad. i hope he's happier where he is. (i love dogs.)

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    forbe, this might seem nitpicky but your title is bugging the shit out of me.

it's sat by Thebes below the wall.

sorry, but that's my favourite poem, ever. :D

They're lyrics from a song that is an interpretation of the poem.

Deal with it.

-

There, I changed it for you <3. I expect 10 bjs and 1000 ingots of gold . . . I love gold.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    ololol furriez

Tam on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    My fursona is offended by your attitude Tam.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
This discussion has been closed.