As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Burnout syndrome

DragonfarceDragonfarce Registered User regular
edited November 2008 in Critical Failures
Hi I'm new here, but I thought you guys could give me a few tips. My gaming group is starting to get burnt out on Gaming right now, and we're trying to find a fun new game to play. We usually play Shadowrun(3rd ed), Star wars, or D&D (2nd, 3.5, or 4E).

Anoyne know of some good tabletop games we could try out to reignite that gaming fire?

Dragonfarce on

• Canada_jezusCanada_jezus Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Tabletop rpgs or are you open for some maybe card type games? I find comedy type cardgames are excellent as a one off rpg substitute.

Canada_jezus on
  • KrataLightbladeKrataLightblade Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Hi I'm new here, but I thought you guys could give me a few tips. My gaming group is starting to get burnt out on Gaming right now, and we're trying to find a fun new game to play. We usually play Shadowrun(3rd ed), Star wars, or D&D (2nd, 3.5, or 4E).

Anoyne know of some good tabletop games we could try out to reignite that gaming fire?

What style of games do tou do? Hack and slash/shoot 'em ups? Intrigue? That might help us direct you a little better.

KrataLightblade on
    LEVEL 50 SWORD JUGGLER/WIZARD!
  • DarklyreDarklyre Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Dark Heresy as an all-psyker party.

Darklyre on
  • UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008

What style of games do tou do? Hack and slash/shoot 'em ups? Intrigue? That might help us direct you a little better.

Sounds like hack 'n' slash by the examples given. They might like to try an RPG with a different sort of gameplay style. I'm an out-of-touch gaming grump, so the only thing I can honestly suggest is Star Wars D6. :P

Maybe boardgames would be a good change of pace and variety. Something light and liesurely-paced like Ticket to Ride or Carcassonne. Maybe Munchkin the cardgame. The Boardgame thread would be the place to go for recommendations.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • MundaneSoulMundaneSoul fight fighter Daehan MingukRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Tabletop rpgs or are you open for some maybe card type games? I find comedy type cardgames are excellent as a one off rpg substitute.

What kind of comedy-style card games are out there? I've got a get-together coming up and could use something like this.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • It BurnsIt Burns Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Munchkin and Groo come to mind

It Burns on
    The slowest painter. Ever.
  • DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    First, the aforementioned board game thread is a good place to go for this.

Comedy style card games - the best of the bunch is Munchkin. Grab the vanilla set, particularly with seasoned role-players. For me, it doesn't hold up to repeated plays over a long period of time, but it is a lot of fun to play a few times.

Other options:
    - Fluxx (just released a Monty Python themed version, or the Zombie if that's more your style; there is also Family Fluxx or EcoFluxx if those themes don't excite you or you will be playing with more casuals)
    - Killer Bunnies (but beware: the more expansions you add, the longer the game tends to take)

For a more intense play session, you could try a co-op game like Knizia's Lord of the Rings game, Arkham Horror, or A Touch of Evil. The just released Battleship Galactica board game (there's a play session on these forums if you search for it) would be a great choice if any of you are fans of the show. Pandemic is also being re-released this month (or maybe next?) and would be another good choice for a co-op, though it only handles 4 players at a time.

Beyond that, let us know what sort of thing you might be interested, and I'll see what else I can come up with.

Darian on
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    My old group decided to pick up something new a few times. I have pleasant memories of picking up incredibly cheap boxes of boosters from some long dead card game and having some booster draft games for Battletech, Rage and Jyhad.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • minigunwielderminigunwielder __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    Necessary Evil(Supervillains save the day, badly.), Call of Cthulhu (Play Delta Green at least once.), or Deadlands:Reloaded(Wild West steampunk game.) are what I'd reccomend.

Give them only the rules, not the books, they will ruin the surprise if they read anything except the rules, infact get rid of some of the text on the rules, because it gives away much more than it should.

Both DL:R and Necessary Evil use the Savage Worlds system, which is good, it also has the Adventure Deck, which is good, therefore it is doubleplus good.

Or Paranoia.

Yeah, just play Paranoia.

minigunwielder on
  • VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I think the old Star Wars D6 (if you're not already playing that one... I'm assuming at the moment that when you said you were playing star wars, you mean the new one by Wizards of the Coast) is really awesome and could be worth playing.

Also, Spycraft. It has a VERY different flavor than a traditional tabletop fantasy RPG, as the characters are basically spies going through whatever kind of spy-esque scenario you can imagine.

You can put them in a James Bond-esque scenario, or a "heist" kind of thing, or pretty much anything you can imagine. There's some neat rules for various traditional spy mechanics, and its setting allows for some modern-day era gameplay that you can make as realistic or fantastical as you want.

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Canada_jezusCanada_jezus Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

What kind of comedy-style card games are out there? I've got a get-together coming up and could use something like this.

http://www.atlas-games.com/product_tables/AG1100.php

Not really trying to be funny (at all). But it ends up being hilarious 90% of the time when you keep hitting someone with a pipe and they have no block cards.

Canada_jezus on
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I recommend Castle Falkenstein, if you like Shadowrun. It's Magic meets Technology, but in Steam-Age Victoria. Uses a deck of playing cards (including Jokers) for standard play. It's fast-paced and a lot of fun, in terms of RPGs. It's also light on the stats, and if you play through a session you'll understand why.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Lunch Money can be a fun card game.

but honestly, if you're looking for something exciting and dramatic and different from the norm

why not try Exalted?

it's like anime kung fu with dice and really cool names.

lonelyahava on