As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

get your fresh, hot steaming piles of [CHAT]

• OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2008
    Forbe! wrote: »
    forbe, this might seem nitpicky but your title is bugging the shit out of me.

it's sat by Thebes below the wall.

sorry, but that's my favourite poem, ever. :D

They're lyrics from a song that is an interpretation of the poem.

Deal with it.

-

There, I changed it for you <3. I expect 10 bjs and 1000 ingots of gold . . . I love gold.

alright, but the bjs will all be from syphilitic hobos and the gold will be in the form of those chocolate coins wrapped in fake gold leaf

Orikaeshigitae on
  • ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The new Bond movie is fantastic.

Prospicience on
  • Uncle LongUncle Long Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    We might get it here sometime next month. I'm pretty excited for that.

Uncle Long on
  • Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I never thought that I would be sticking things up my nose for some sort of academic purpose.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited November 2008
    Shit I wish I had started keeping a timecard when I was back in kindergarten or whenever the fuck I crossed the barrier into 'drawing fer real', it's be nice to know how far behind (or not?) I am here.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2008/nov/15/malcolm-gladwell-outliers-extract

tl;dr: "10000 hours of practice = success".

Angel_of_Bacon on
    edited November 2008
    BS.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I couldn't read all that text, or get past the fact that the dudes name was Malcolm Gladwell.

earthwormadam on
  • Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited November 2008
    A fine set of arguments.

Angel_of_Bacon on
    edited November 2008
    So I finished the fabrication for the nose clamp I'm making for the mustache I am felting.

photo40su3.jpg

photo39kw9.jpg

Toot toot! The mustache will be felted around the silver ring. I need to fabricate two little armatures to start building off of. Once the mustache is done, the felt will cover up most of the silver, except for the two little beans at the top.

Sorry, I'm so excited I needed to post it here.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I hope those beans don't fall off in your nose, that would be embarassing!

EDIT: To any English majors here; I bought a book called "Lost on Planet China", the title bugs the hell out of me because it seems to me that it should be "Lost in Planet China". Are they using the wrong preposition or am I crazy?

MagicToaster on
    edited November 2008
    Kind of impossible for that to happen unless they got cut off, they're all soldered together.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Shit I wish I had started keeping a timecard when I was back in kindergarten or whenever the fuck I crossed the barrier into 'drawing fer real', it's be nice to know how far behind (or not?) I am here.

I believe it. Also, only ~5000-6000 hours to go!

rts on
    edited November 2008

EDIT: To any English majors here; I bought a book called "Lost on Planet China", the title bugs the hell out of me because it seems to me that it should be "Lost in Planet China". Are they using the wrong preposition or am I crazy?

alright. let's pretend we're talking about a cardboard box here.

if you put something in the box, you're beneath the surface of the box, right? it's inside. if you put something on the box, the box is supporting that thing's weight.

so, because we're talking about a planet's surface, on is the correct word, unless the novel is about a mining team.

Orikaeshigitae on
    edited November 2008
    also that article seems to be the epitome of the 'correlation equals causation' logical fallacy, although it's undeniable that people have to put in a lot of effort to become good at something.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    cakemikz wrote: »

I believe it. Also, only ~5000-6000 hours to go!

The Journey of a Thousand Drawings begins with one stroke and ends with the consecutive "Fuck it, I want to make money".

Tam on
  • LoomdunLoomdun Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I just finished filling in half of my sketchbook with hands and then I finally began walking around my house. Noticing something was strange going on outside. Sooo apparently everything is on fire around me. again

Also I only have.... 8,000-7,000 hours to go

Edit: Time to draw on my rooftop while watching the fire. yay

Loomdun on
    splat
    edited November 2008

if you put something in the box, you're beneath the surface of the box, right? it's inside. if you put something on the box, the box is supporting that thing's weight.

so, because we're talking about a planet's surface, on is the correct word, unless the novel is about a mining team.

I guess you're right, if I were visiting my cousin on another planet in the distant future I'd say "I'm gonna visit Joe on Mars". But, why do you say "I'm visiting Joe in Chicago"? It's the same logic, but the preposition changes.

MagicToaster on
    edited November 2008
    well, no, because joe lives within the boundaries of chicago, not on top of its rooftops like a pigeon.

Orikaeshigitae on
    edited November 2008
    Dear Orikaeshimamamgitaesaurs,

Your rock.

love

M. Toaster.

MagicToaster on
    edited November 2008
    My name is Joe and I live within the boundaries of Chicago.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • ShiboeShiboe Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

I guess you're right, if I were visiting my cousin on another planet in the distant future I'd say "I'm gonna visit Joe on Mars". But, why do you say "I'm visiting Joe in Chicago"? It's the same logic, but the preposition changes.

I think the logic is, a planet is a 3 dimensional object. You can be on its surface, or in it's mass. A city is a 2 dimensional construct, so inside the city takes a different meaning.

Shiboe on
    edited November 2008
    Dear Orikaeshimamamgitaesaurs,

Your rock.

love

M. Toaster.

:D!

always happy to help!

Orikaeshigitae on
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    also that article seems to be the epitome of the 'correlation equals causation' logical fallacy, although it's undeniable that people have to put in a lot of effort to become good at something.

I thought it was also interesting where the "perfect" and one of the only "Acceptable" ages was 20 or 21.

I still thought it was an interesting article, though.

I just did a rough calculation and it looks like I've got ~ 5,000-6,000 to go, hahaha...

I've been thinking recently, though - I know I don't draw as much as I should, and I think I'm going to try to step up and really, REALLY work my ass off (mostly this winter break....but step up my entire routine). My main problem is just that I have so many hobbies and interests and I'm HORRIBLY social, so I'm not sure how well I'd be able to pull off "hardcore workload" ethic without being completely miserable. Do I love art? Hell yes. Is the only thing I want to do, creatively: visual, objective art? No, and that's my problem. I'd spend my "creative" time on multiple activities, rather than totally excelling in one single area.

I've noticed that I can feel really "creative" one day - as in, I want to spend a lot of energy doing something creative. If I spend two hours playing the piano, for instance....or making a webdesign template, or something.......suddenly, I won't want to draw or paint as much. It's like I have a "creative reserve" inside of me that can get used up on different "creative" activities.

I've come to the conclusion that I'm okay not being in the top 1%, because by allowing myself to "spread out" my time in a number of other things.....I feel much more rounded. Like, I could either be totally amazing in one area.....or be "pretty good" in a handful. My OTHER problem of course is that I haven't spent enough time working on any one thing to the point where I stand out in a beam of light from the crowd.

I dick around on the internet.....but I think part of that is just a search for information. I LOVE learning stuff. I am always intrigued about learning new things, learning how something works, where something comes from, random trivia, theories, history, etc.......and I also love to communicate with people online (why I love forums, I guess). I also spend a lot of time during a standard week taking "social breaks"....either by hanging out with people or by going online. I don't think it's something I can cut down on too much - I NEED a certain level of communication in a week, I need to be around/talk to people. I just need to find where the "excess" stuff is - the stuff that really IS pointless procrastinating....and cut it out completely and fill it with work. (I'll maek poast less, haha).

~~~~~~~~~~~

I am stating this goal here and now: I'm going to give my work ethic a makeover! I'm going to try to improve on a sharper curve. I'm going to excel! I'm going to work hard! I'm going to learn learn learn! I'm going to work harder without abandoning the things that make me happy - socializing and taking time for myself. I will time-manage better than I have been! I will work harder on my projects! I will challenge myself! RARGH!

NightDragon on
    edited November 2008
    Oh oh oh and you guys know the Skillful Huntsman? Well a friend of mine and myself were talking a few days ago online...and we're considering teaming up with two of our other friends and making some kind of book with a bunch of our work in it.

It's in the beginning stages now (still tossing out ideas), but I'm pretty sure the first one will just be the four of us adding in random pieces we've done that we really like......and that will be our "practice" book, to see what worked/what didn't, and come up with a timeline of sorts...and then we'll think up some kind of "direction" that the four of us will follow (loose or strict) and maybe make a book from the results of all of that.

We'll be working on it over break, and I'm excited! :D

NightDragon on
    edited November 2008
    there is only one logical solution for all of this....

Remove your sleeping and use those additional 8 hours for art practice. There is no drawback whatsoever.

Edit: and I'll race you to 10,000!!!

Loomdun on
    splat
    edited November 2008
    Loomdun wrote: »
    Edit: and I'll race you to 10,000!!!

done!

NightDragon on
    edited November 2008
    Well I'm gaining on you right now <.@, you only got a... 2,000-3,000 hour headstart. I SHALL CATCH UP

Loomdun on
    splat
    edited November 2008
    I wonder if art is different...like the 10,000 mark may work for other things, but not for art.

And what level in art would be considered "mastery?"

One of my professors....he's AMAZING...he's probably around 55 or so, and making some quick calcluations...he's had to have done, at the very LEAST, 30,000 hours of work so far. The guy's got a solid work ethic, and he was picked up right after graduating from Art Center, back in the day.

NightDragon on
    edited November 2008
    Nightdragon - They often say around my school that the best students are people who do not work in a creative field during the day. It takes a lot out of you so when you get to class you just aren't putting your all into it.

rts on
    edited November 2008
    Loomdun wrote: »
    Well I'm gaining on you right now <.@, you only got a... 2,000-3,000 hour headstart. I SHALL CATCH UP

If you worked on art for 30 hours a week, every week, for a year...that'd only be 1560.

:P

Go go go!

NightDragon on
    edited November 2008
    cakemikz wrote: »
    Nightdragon - They often say around my school that the best students are people who do not work in a creative field during the day. It takes a lot out of you so when you get to class you just aren't putting your all into it.

That makes a lot of sense.

That's also why my professor blows my mind - he's a full-time art professor, AND he's working for Disney Imagineering on the side. That's just......so much work, and so much time spent doing creative stuff every single day. It impresses me. (Obviously he's not drawing during every class....but I'm sure it still counts towards something - being an art professor and working on art jobs at the same time).

NightDragon on
    edited November 2008
    Apples are delicious

Loomdun on
    splat
    edited November 2008
    You know what else is delicious? Mustaches. This is the armature for the mustache I'm making out of felt.

photo43kj9.jpg

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
    edited November 2008
    Shit, seriously that many? 40-50 hours a week? Every single week?

Maybe I really do need to step up.

Damn, maybe I miscalulated mine, or something. It's hard to figure out how much I've drawn....when I've been drawing (and enjoying it as a hobby) since the 1st grade....and it's now 15/16 years later...and I've been drawing more and more as time went on, especially once I hit middle school...and especially since I entered college, again it took a huge step in how much I draw.

Even THEN, though, I don't consider myself to be somebody who's drawn all that much (yeah, I loved to draw in the 1st grade...but it's not like I even spent 10+ hours a week doing it). Also, lots of my assignments have fuck-all to do with drawing.......or learning anything. If I included "all art-stuff in general", including color stuff and abstract and non-objective BS.....I dunno, maybe my calcluations would be different.

...which is why I'm not sure the 10,000 mark relates to art as it may to other things....because I can see myself (with ever-increasing workload and spending more and more time making art)...hitting the 10,000 mark in 5 years. I'll be 26 or 27. Will I have artistic "mastery"? I seriously doubt it. I'll be a lot better than I am now, for sure, after five years......but again, what the hell denotes "mastery"? Art is such a broad-ranging topic, and you can be a "master" on one area but "not so great" in another. Does "mastery" suggest competence in all the "foundations" that make good artwork? Sense of composition/space....form, color, line, texture, light, style, etc etc etc whathaveyou? There's also different types of "good art". So what the hell? It's not linear, like coding for example....I've learned this much coding, this much coding, this much coding...now I can code on-the-fly because I understand it......with art, it could be like, "I've learned how to do realistic painting.....but I can't do any graphic design"....or would the "mastery" in this case just be in one specific TYPE of art? Because maybe in that case, I can understand. If all you ever do is realistic painting.....after 10,000, you'll probably be fucking amazing.

...but for somebody like me, I guess...who likes to (and is told to, and wants to) do different types of art....how many hours before I'm a "master" overall?

I'd consider my professor to have a "mastery" on artwork...but if we're comparing my professor to art as we are Mozart to music.......is he at that level? Or is it just that artistic "masters" don't have the same type of "omg reputation" as they once did? Maybe "mastery" is more accessible to people now?

I have no idea.

NightDragon on
    edited November 2008
    yah every week, anyways. 8 hours a day in highschool X that by 7 =.., Anywaysssss.There really is a professional level that many artist gain and I feel that art can infinitely expand just like anything else. There is a huge difference between captivating and neat looking. And for the most part, alot of artist generally reach in between. And those who don't have the experience, but have the tools like photoshop. Can only really make things that look neat. And only once in a while with lots of ridiculous time spent into it. So really. It strongly varies so much and is blurred into together so much, its hardly understandable by most.

Loomdun on
    splat
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Forbe! wrote: »
    You know what else is delicious? Mustaches. This is the armature for the mustache I'm making out of felt.

photo43kj9.jpg

HAHAHAHAHA

Look upon my nose spectacles and tremble!

Tam on
    edited November 2008
    Someone needs to man up and grow the mustache.

rts on
  • NeoRedXIIINeoRedXIII Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    That'd make for one hell of an awesome piercing ornament.

Edit: Actually, that's one amazing idea. I think I might actually get my septum pierced. Forbe, I need you to make a set of custom mustaches similar to that one that could be placed in my nose. Let's start a revolution!

NeoRedXIII on
  • ShiboeShiboe Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Good luck to everyone tonight being affected by the fires in So Cal. I'm just sitting around waiting to be evac'ed at my Mom's place, took a few pictures outside but was told to leave by firefighters so didn't get much.

n574328664_1614680_8590.jpg

Very surreal when it's you next to a wild fire.

Shiboe on
    edited November 2008
    Hahahaha, I bought my nephew some Hulk gloves and mask for his birthday, he spend all night running around Chuck-E-Cheese like some sort of mini-hulk. Hillarious!

MagicToaster on
This discussion has been closed.