As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Atlantica Online]: MMOTBS done perfectly.

• AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Fleck0 wrote: »
    Anyone know how exactly the market auto-price-decrease system works? I keep seeing some strangely low sale prices (like half of what I listed an item for) after just a day or two on the market -- though for other items it works fine, with only a small percentage decrease each day as I would expect. And sometimes I can't even find my unsold items at the listed prices, neither in the rates window nor the Buy window.

I've noticed this phenomenon too, though have no idea how it works

I have no idea either. o_O

Aldo on
  • Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Beware the Free League at Lower Levels... at 29 I was matched up vs a 60. Needless to say it was painful. Most my matches were people in the 30's.

Banzai5150 on
    50433.png?1708759015
    edited November 2008
    Banzai5150 wrote: »
    Beware the Free League at Lower Levels... at 29 I was matched up vs a 60. Needless to say it was painful. Most my matches were people in the 30's.
    :lol: Those idiots just didn't play PvP before, they're gonna get raped once they get to fight against people who can actually get some damage in against them.

Aldo on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Pfft, even if you lose you get Atlantian Coins, right? Those are worth like 10k a pop.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • EvigilantEvigilant VARegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Just hit 30, so if anyone needs a mentor send me a whisper in game: Evigilante.

Evigilant on
    XBL\PSN\Steam\Origin: Evigilant
  • taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Well I made a character and as i'd hoped it seems to play great on my satellite connection, wooo turn based! The community also seems to be pretty friendly..at least i'm assuming thats why people keep gifting me high level weapons and armor...Of course it leaves me in the sad state where I have lvl 25+ cannons, spears and swords, and my highest level character is 6 D: Anyway i'm on thebes as Talios

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • HarshLanguageHarshLanguage Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Well I made a character and as i'd hoped it seems to play great on my satellite connection, wooo turn based! The community also seems to be pretty friendly..at least i'm assuming thats why people keep gifting me high level weapons and armor...Of course it leaves me in the sad state where I have lvl 25+ cannons, spears and swords, and my highest level character is 6 D: Anyway i'm on thebes as Talios

The community does seem nice, but in fact the real secret is that there are rewards for gifting newb characters. Title quests for gifting, stamina increasing with each gift, gifting to gain apprentices for mentor points, guild points being partially dependent on membership attendance, etc etc. A lot of that applies to sharing monster info too, and crafters earn XP for teaching levels via the same system (Actions menu from the Whisper screen). It's nice to have multiple methods of gift-giving and other forms of generosity built right in, plus in-game reasons for using them.

Also, you'll probably find that 1-20, and even 20-30, goes quite fast. The PA crew is really good about keeping everybody in parties for the xp sharing, which is great for low levels. And they are kind and generous fellows too!

HarshLanguage on
    QSwearing_trans_smooth_small.gif
    > turn on light

Good start to the day. Pity it's going to be the worst one of your life. The light is now on.
    edited November 2008
    Well hell, I don't care why they are nice. If the game itself encourages interaction through a reward system, more power to it. Lord knows if you don't have a good reason to be nice online you won't be.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited November 2008
    Man the hell scout is fucking me over something fierce...I've tried one about 5 times now and every time every enemy focuses their fire on my main character and kill him first turn D:

taliosfalcon on
  • poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Man the hell scout is fucking me over something fierce...I've tried one about 5 times now and every time every enemy focuses their fire on my main character and kill him first turn D:

Do they have ranged attacks? I can't remember.

If they're meleeing your main character, put him behind some guards.

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
    edited November 2008
    poshniallo wrote: »

Do they have ranged attacks? I can't remember.

If they're meleeing your main character, put him behind some guards.
    m party is an axe (my main) spearman, gunner and archer, if i move my main back they just rape whatever I have in front the first turn, then move onto him next
    I think I might have a chance if I could get another merc, i'm level 10 so i think i should be able to hire one more, except I haven't been able to find anywhere to do so, I read earlier in the thread that travelling and finding anything was confusing as fuck without the auto move on, but I didn't believe it, now i'm a convert :wink:

taliosfalcon on
    edited November 2008
    Talios: your spearman can stomach some damage, it should last more than one turn. Also: your ranged dps should focus everything on the scout.

You can get a new a new merc either through a quest or buy one from one of the NPC close to the first city you run into.

Aldo on
  • EllthiterenEllthiteren Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Also make sure you equip all your characters, either by opening spirit boxes or just buying stuff in town.

Ellthiteren on
  • SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Work on getting monster Info on the two types of mobs that guy uses for fodder. The first tier of it reduces the damage they deal against your guys.

Seg on
    edited November 2008
    Hell Scout and his buddies use Flame Sword, right? That's probably insta-death if they get 3+ hits on anyone in your front line - which I've seen them do in a single turn. Part of all boss fights is just getting lucky with how the AI acts, you'll see it with Hellish Fairy soon too. If you have an Archer, you can Silence some of the mobs to prevent them using magic. You can also preemptively use health potions, but that means you won't be attacking that turn.

HarshLanguage on
    > turn on light

Good start to the day. Pity it's going to be the worst one of your life. The light is now on.
    edited November 2008
    It would be horrible if the AI was actually smart enough to focus fire on the main char. D:

Aldo on
    edited November 2008
    *sigh* another day, 6 more failed attempts @ the hell scout..thank god you dont seem to lose levels from death experience lost or i'd be back at level one =p as to the tips people gave me above, all my guys are using equipment, most of them have enchanted +1 weapons/armor, and even pre-emptively chugging a potion means that whatever guy I stick up front dies before the potion goes off..potions seem to be pretty useless in this game? oh well, i'm moving onto plan b which is grind 2 or 3 levels, i'll get him yet :x

edit: bahh, although i just observed the battles of 3 different people killing hell scouts to see if i was missing something and they all had 1 more merc then me..god damnit obviously i need to find somewhere to get another one

taliosfalcon on
  • tgbobtgbob Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The merc person is outside of town somewhere, you can find out who/where by the under game info -> npc -> merchant and looking through them. You can even use auto-walk to waltz right up.

You can also bug someone to kill him for you.

tgbob on
  • KlatuKlatu Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OiRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    What would be the best next addition to my line up at the moment?

Back row: Shaman - Gunner
    Middle row: Gunner - Viking
    Front row: Axe - Sword

Axe is my main. I was thinking Cannon maybe, put the viking in the front and cannon at the back, two gunners in mid. I don't really do free league at the moment so optimal placing doesn't really bother me. I have been told an Archer would be good but I don't really get that bothered by magic users at the moment, maybe that will change but for now it's not too bad.

Thoughts?

Klatu on
    Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
    edited November 2008
    An appropriately leveled Viking is monstrous. Way more HP than a Swordsman, and quite a bit stronger. My level 6 Viking had more HP than my level 18 Swordsman.

Archer's are great because they can attack enemies in the back row, do good damage and also have Silence, which is really useful. I think a Spearman might also be beneficial, since they can attack 3 rows deep.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited November 2008
    Yeah, my current viking is doing great damage and my sword does great single target damage and can soak up some nice damage if focused on.

I might pick up an archer and see how it goes, if I don't like i'll just fire her and get something else. It's not like mercs are hard to level atm.. might be different if i was 50+ :P

Klatu on
    edited November 2008
    A monk with protect or shield of protection can double or triple your main's survivability, especially a front line main.

tgbob on
    edited November 2008
    Leveling a monk is such a bitch, though. :( His support spells are fantastic, so it's kinda worth it.

Aldo on
  • matisyahumatisyahu Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I just made a sissy boy staff man, ref'd you Aldah. I'm Telor on Thebes. I guess I'll be trying to become the master of these sisters now, see you in there.

This is one of the best looking free games I've ever played. And I like the music! I'm insane@

matisyahu on
    i dont even like matisyahu and i dont know why i picked this username
    edited November 2008
    matisyahu wrote: »
    I just made a sissy boy staff man, ref'd you Aldah. I'm Telor on Thebes. I guess I'll be trying to become the master of these sisters now, see you in there.

This is one of the best looking free games I've ever played. And I like the music! I'm insane@

The music is really good, I agree. And FYI, it's stored in regular .ogg files in the game directory. 8-)

HarshLanguage on
    > turn on light

edited November 2008
    Got my Monk, he's level 22 atm and yeah, he's a pain to level. Getting a bit better now that he has some ok enchanted stuff though. Wish he wouldnt' use up his mana so fast >.<

Klatu on
  • Fleck0Fleck0 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    nifty event stuff, much of it happening tomorrow
    You’ve done it! We’ve reached the final marker in our quest for fighters in the Free Leagues - 30,000 of you have battled it out against one another. And now it’s time to bring the No Atlantian Left Behind contest to a close with a bang!

Expect bonus time for the next three days, and Free Leaguers will earn some licenses and be eligible for the Milestone Mettle Tournaments. And then there’s the biggest prize - $10,000 will be going to a Free Leaguer! Plus, five more of you will be randomly selected to win a Nintendo Wii.

Here’s a rundown of all that’s happening with this momentous occasion:

Celebrate With Fellow Atlantians

That’s right, for 72 hours, starting when the clock strikes midnight to usher in Friday, Nov. 21, in the Pacific time zone, all players will receive 150% Experience points while they make their way in the Atlantica world. You’ll have the whole weekend - three straight days! - to bask in bonus experience and to level up quicker.

Start Time: Nov. 21, at 12 a.m. Pacific Standard Time (PST)
    Duration: 72 hours

Plus, all players who participated in the Free Leagues, regardless of whether they won or lost their battles, will receive the License Package, which consists of five 14-day licenses for Teleportation, Patrol, Health Check, and Auto-Battle. In addition, all Free Leaguers will receive eight 7-day Mercenary Room Licenses.

Delivery Time: Nov. 21, at 8 p.m. PST
    Delivery Location: Your Item Pick Up under the ‘Item Mall’ menu

The Magnificent Elephant’s Footsteps [flecknote: elephant statue requires 3000 golden tusks, good luck]

Time is running out to craft your Golden Elephant statue, which can then be exchanged for the Byzantine Elephant by Nov. 30. Now your chance to collect 150 of the necessary Golden Tusks arrives on Nov. 21. Thirty tusks will be distributed to the inventory of all Level 20-plus players who are online at these times: 10 a.m., 12 p.m., 2 p.m., 4 p.m. and 6 p.m. (all times are PST). Be on at the right times and you can add 150 Golden Tusks to help you with that special statue.

Milestone Mettle Tournament

With the final Milestone of 30,000 comes the final round of Milestone Mettle Tournaments. And the best prize was saved for last: $1,000 to the winner of each tournament. So earn some cold hard cash for your kick-ass combat. And this time, there will be 10 total tournaments; two for each of the five servers.

The final two Milestone Mettle Tournaments will be held:
    Nov. 21 at 12 p.m. and 7 p.m. PST.

When the Milestone Mettle Tournament is about to begin, it will be announced in-game as another weekly championship tournament. Please disregard that notice. The tournaments at 12 p.m. and 7 p.m. PDT on Nov. 21 are in fact the Milestone Mettle Tournaments.

The prizes for the 30,000 Milestone Mettle Tournaments:
    1st Place: $1,000 & Hell Horse.
    2nd Place: Hell Horse.
    3rd & 4th Places: 10 Multi-Hued Jewelry Boxes.

Plus, there will be a raffle on each of the server’s Free Leaguers for thirty (30) Brown Horses.

Each set of prizes will be awarded to competitors on each Atlantica server. First place winners of the Milestone Mettle Tournament will receive a confirmation email after the tournament.

Please note: You must have fought in the Free Leagues to participate in these tournaments. There can be no repeat first place winners. Once one account wins a Milestone Mettle Tournament, he or she is not eligible to win another first place prize from another Milestone Mettle tournament during the open beta period.

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • zanmattozanmatto Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Fleck0 wrote: »
    nifty event stuff, much of it happening tomorrow
    You’ve done it! We’ve reached the final marker in our quest for fighters in the Free Leagues - 30,000 of you have battled it out against one another. And now it’s time to bring the No Atlantian Left Behind contest to a close with a bang!

Expect bonus time for the next three days, and Free Leaguers will earn some licenses and be eligible for the Milestone Mettle Tournaments. And then there’s the biggest prize - $10,000 will be going to a Free Leaguer! Plus, five more of you will be randomly selected to win a Nintendo Wii.

Here’s a rundown of all that’s happening with this momentous occasion:

Celebrate With Fellow Atlantians

That’s right, for 72 hours, starting when the clock strikes midnight to usher in Friday, Nov. 21, in the Pacific time zone, all players will receive 150% Experience points while they make their way in the Atlantica world. You’ll have the whole weekend - three straight days! - to bask in bonus experience and to level up quicker.

Start Time: Nov. 21, at 12 a.m. Pacific Standard Time (PST)
    Duration: 72 hours

Plus, all players who participated in the Free Leagues, regardless of whether they won or lost their battles, will receive the License Package, which consists of five 14-day licenses for Teleportation, Patrol, Health Check, and Auto-Battle. In addition, all Free Leaguers will receive eight 7-day Mercenary Room Licenses.

Delivery Time: Nov. 21, at 8 p.m. PST
    Delivery Location: Your Item Pick Up under the ‘Item Mall’ menu

The Magnificent Elephant’s Footsteps [flecknote: elephant statue requires 3000 golden tusks, good luck]

Time is running out to craft your Golden Elephant statue, which can then be exchanged for the Byzantine Elephant by Nov. 30. Now your chance to collect 150 of the necessary Golden Tusks arrives on Nov. 21. Thirty tusks will be distributed to the inventory of all Level 20-plus players who are online at these times: 10 a.m., 12 p.m., 2 p.m., 4 p.m. and 6 p.m. (all times are PST). Be on at the right times and you can add 150 Golden Tusks to help you with that special statue.

Milestone Mettle Tournament

With the final Milestone of 30,000 comes the final round of Milestone Mettle Tournaments. And the best prize was saved for last: $1,000 to the winner of each tournament. So earn some cold hard cash for your kick-ass combat. And this time, there will be 10 total tournaments; two for each of the five servers.

The final two Milestone Mettle Tournaments will be held:
    Nov. 21 at 12 p.m. and 7 p.m. PST.

When the Milestone Mettle Tournament is about to begin, it will be announced in-game as another weekly championship tournament. Please disregard that notice. The tournaments at 12 p.m. and 7 p.m. PDT on Nov. 21 are in fact the Milestone Mettle Tournaments.

The prizes for the 30,000 Milestone Mettle Tournaments:
    1st Place: $1,000 & Hell Horse.
    2nd Place: Hell Horse.
    3rd & 4th Places: 10 Multi-Hued Jewelry Boxes.

Plus, there will be a raffle on each of the server’s Free Leaguers for thirty (30) Brown Horses.

Each set of prizes will be awarded to competitors on each Atlantica server. First place winners of the Milestone Mettle Tournament will receive a confirmation email after the tournament.

Please note: You must have fought in the Free Leagues to participate in these tournaments. There can be no repeat first place winners. Once one account wins a Milestone Mettle Tournament, he or she is not eligible to win another first place prize from another Milestone Mettle tournament during the open beta period.

Jeez, 150 golden tusks? I'm just going to leave my char on, free league once and afk for three days.

zanmatto on
    edited November 2008
    Wow, those licenses are glorious. Monetary rewards are probably not for someone of around lev ~35, eh? :P

And those golden tusks will be awesome too. I didn't know you could exchange them for something even fancier, though. D:

Aldo on
    edited November 2008
    Maybe we should do a training center run for more guild points! Or use those points for another crack at that dungeon in Angkor Wat?

tgbob on
    edited November 2008
    Speaking of Angkor Wat. Those freakin huge golems suck!

Klatu on
    edited November 2008
    Klatu wrote: »
    Speaking of Angkor Wat. Those freakin huge golems suck!
    they do indeed.

Wait till you get to the insect hive, those suck even more.

Aldo on
    edited November 2008
    If anyone's looking for specific special event info, the official list of events is here.

They're giving away more stuff just for being online at certain times this weekend (hooray, more AFKing), and then starting Monday there's an automatic reward each day for playing one full hour (at any time, apparently).

HarshLanguage on
    > turn on light

edited November 2008
    So is there any way to stop the damned camera from zooming in and watching certain shots/attacks and fucking me over by making me miss turn time?

taliosfalcon on
    edited November 2008
    So is there any way to stop the damned camera from zooming in and watching certain shots/attacks and fucking me over by making me miss turn time?
    Yes, under options you can turn cinematic effects off.

Aldo on
    edited November 2008
    You'll get these rewards if you're online during these times Sunday, they had this during Saturday too, but I managed to miss it. abloobloobloo

10 a.m. 5 Giant Crystals
    11 a.m. 10 Scrolls of Judgement
    12 p.m. 5 Dragon Crystals
    1 p.m. 1 Power Potion
    2 p.m. 5 Phoenix Crystals
    3 p.m. 10 Scrolls of Resurrection
    4 p.m. 5 Redemption Crystals
    5 p.m. 6 Scrolls of Bewitching
    6 p.m. 10 Ashen Crystals
    7 p.m. 10 Scrolls of Life's Blessing

If you can, window the game and leave it alt-tabbed and on all day/night.

tgbob on
    edited November 2008
    Insects in Atlantica drop bones, leather, and fur. And sometimes lemons.

This game is deeply weird, and I love it.

HarshLanguage on
    > turn on light

• quaigyquaigy Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I probably won't be playing this anymore, having fallen back to my WoW addiction.

Curse you Arthas !

quaigy on
  • Who-PsydWho-Psyd Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Joined up today.

Character is Luscinia if you need it for Op.

Who-Psyd on
  • MacenMacen Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Im sure this question has been answered, but. I'm currently at work and can't go to the site to check the download size. I know it says in OP the game is 10g (but im assuming that is installed). If someone could enlighten me I would appreciate it!

Macen on