As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Musicals

• PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Not gonna lie

I loves me some Bye Bye Birdie

Ed SULIVAAAAAAAAAAAAN!!!

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I thought Lord of the Rings - the Musical, was pretty good.

Cue the D: 's in three, two, one . . . :P

Andrew_Jay on
  • bowtiedsealbowtiedseal Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    redx wrote:
    I'm trying to decide if it is worth driving 4 hours each way to miami to see the off broadway tour. Not sure how much of the original cast is going to be intact and the set pieces would be a little less impressive cause they are moving them every couple days.

For what it's worth, my roommate swears Wicked is fantastic on stage and seeing it makes listening to the music that much better. But she did see it in NYC with most of the original cast, so probably not applicable to your situation :)

bowtiedseal on
  • SamSam Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Whatever happened to the broadway adaptation of The Wall?

Sam on
  • Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I can't stand Sound of Music. I don't know why, it just seems so hokey, despite the underlying theme.

I'm a huge fan of Phantom of the Opera, but I do know that there are a lot of so-called "musical elitists" who think that everything Andrew Lloyd Webber turned out is trash. I mean, I guess everybody is entitled to their opinion, but this seems to be the prevalent point of view among "true" musical fans, and I can't figure out why.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
    edited January 2007
    I'm a huge fan of Phantom of the Opera, but I do know that there are a lot of so-called "musical elitists" who think that everything Andrew Lloyd Webber turned out is trash. I mean, I guess everybody is entitled to their opinion, but this seems to be the prevalent point of view among "true" musical fans, and I can't figure out why.

A few of my friends who are what you might call "true" musical fans refer to Phantom of the Opera as a kind of "gateway" musical. I like Phantom, but not nearly as much as I did four years ago. I would venture that the reason some hardcore musical fans don't like Phantom is because they've moved on to other musicals and feel that it pales in comparison.

bowtiedseal on
  • Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    HiredGun wrote:
    producers.jpg

Hell yes. Pity the remake of the movie sucked.

Crimson King on
  • bodiemabodiema Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    moniker wrote:
    <3

Jekyll_Poster.jpg

I'm so pissed I didn't get to see this up in Chicago back in highschool. I don't think they've been back stateside since then, either. :(

I just saw a local high school put on this. The score and libretto were quite pleasing. The Jeckyll/Hyde song at the end was very good.

bodiema on
  • SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

I love those Loompa-tunes.

SithDrummer on
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Hehe, I was in A Good Man Charlie Brown. As Pig-Pen. I think I even had a song, but I can't remember. I was also in Charlie And The Chocolate Factory as Mike Teevee, and they wrote me a song. That was a fun play. Violet was tone deaf, but hot as hell.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Charlie Brown is so cute. A hot friend of mine was Lucy some years ago.

Fencingsax on
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Fencingsax wrote:

Yeah some pretty, big-boobed girl played Lucy in mine. She also played Adelaide in a high school production of Guys & Dolls and was phenomenal.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Drez wrote:
    Fencingsax wrote:

Yeah some pretty, big-boobed girl played Lucy in mine. She also played Adelaide in a high school production of Guys & Dolls and was phenomenal.

I was Big Jule in our production.

Fencingsax on
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Fencingsax wrote:

Charlie Brown is heartwarming.

My boyfriend was charlie in the one a highschool production company did a year ago. Watching him trying to fly a kite just made me go awwwwww.

Casual Eddy on
  • VirumVirum Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    HiredGun wrote:
    producers.jpg

Hell yes. Pity the remake of the movie sucked.
    It did not.

Virum on
  • B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Anyone know how good this is?
    (they've got samples in the download section...)

http://www.itskaratekidthemusical.com/

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • itylusitylus Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I love everything by Sondheim - glad to see Assassins mentioned, my favourite, I think it's amazing.

Les Mis and Phantom, of course... something kind of trashy about them but I love 'em all the same.

"Once More With Feeling" also gets a big thumbs up from me... I still enjoy it every time, all the way through.

"Jacques Brel is Alive and Well and Living in Paris" is a bit of a strange thing, as a musical, but without it there would be far fewer English translation of Brel songs available, so I'm eternally grateful for its existence.

itylus on
  • JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Gim wrote:
    I enjoy The Sound of Music. It has pretty songs.

I find the songs a little too twee, but the film is really good for the acting, film locations and humour.

On the subject of Phantom, my first experience with the music was playing a medley written for a full orchestra. I loved it. It sounded wonderful with violins. I was really disappointed when I discovered that it is originally synth music - it sounds so very dated. I really (secretly) enjoyed the film but with traditional instruments replacing the modern electrical it would've been twice as good.

Janson on
  • GrimmGrimm Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Janson wrote:
    Gim wrote:

I find the songs a little too twee, but the film is really good for the acting, film locations and humour.

On the subject of Phantom, my first experience with the music was playing a medley written for a full orchestra. I loved it. It sounded wonderful with violins. I was really disappointed when I discovered that it is originally synth music - it sounds so very dated. I really (secretly) enjoyed the film but with traditional instruments replacing the modern electrical it would've been twice as good.

Do you mean the new movie? If so, i enjoyed it too. I'll never watch it ever again, but i did enjoy it.

Grimm on
    edited January 2007
    Grimm wrote:
    Janson wrote:
    Gim wrote:

Do you mean the new movie? If so, i enjoyed it too. I'll never watch it ever again, but i did enjoy it.

Yes, I do. It looked gorgeous and there were some amazing set designs.

Janson on
    edited January 2007
    Janson wrote:
    Grimm wrote:
    Janson wrote:
    Gim wrote:

Yes, I do. It looked gorgeous and there were some amazing set designs.

Masquerade was impressive, especially the costumes.

Fencingsax on
  • AnomeAnome Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    In high school I was the flute/piccolo player for the pit band for State Fair and then The Music Man.

I love them both dearly because of it, but I don't think I'd ever recommend anyone ever watch State Fair unless they had a part in it. I fully acknowledge that the only reason I like it is that I was partially responsible for unleashing it on our unsuspecting audience.

The Music Man, on the other hand, I do like. Shipoopi was hard as hell to play, but it was all fun in the end. The version with Matthew Broderick is available on DVD, btw.

Once More with Feeling is pure magic, and that's all I have to say about that.

I haven't seen too many musicals, unfortunately, even though I always mean to. Oh well.

In closing, don't watch Rent the week after seeing Team America, you'll only be thinking of "Everyone Has AIDS" throughout the whole movie.

Anome on
  • redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Janson wrote:
    Gim wrote:

See... songs aren't really great, but they are rather refrencable. like, that "so long fairwell" one and My Favorite Things and Doh a Deer thingy. The music isn't that great, but everyone should see it just because of how culturally signifigant it is. Stuff from it comes up a lot, especially if you watch famly guy, but even if you don't.
    itylus wrote:
    "Once More With Feeling" also gets a big thumbs up from me... I still enjoy it every time, all the way through.

uhh... that's the buffy thing right? Or was that named after something else?
    Anome wrote:
    In closing, don't watch Rent the week after seeing Team America, you'll only be thinking of "Everyone Has AIDS" throughout the whole movie.

I saw it for the first time like a year after seeing team america, and had the same thought.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Who caught Family Guy last night where they replaced Jerry Mouse with Stewie while dancing with Gene Kelley in Anchors Aweigh? That was friggin' awesome.

iTunesIsEvil on
    edited January 2007
    Who caught Family Guy last night where they replaced Jerry Mouse with Stewie while dancing with Gene Kelley in Anchors Aweigh? That was friggin' awesome.

Musicals are totally culturally signifigant.

redx on
    edited January 2007
    redx wrote:
    Janson wrote:
    Gim wrote:

See... songs aren't really great, but they are rather refrencable. like, that "so long fairwell" one and My Favorite Things and Doh a Deer thingy. The music isn't that great, but everyone should see it just because of how culturally signifigant it is. Stuff from it comes up a lot, especially if you watch famly guy, but even if you don't.

Oh, yes, definitely. I still have a soft spot for My Favourite Things. But I think that perhaps people allow the music to put them off seeing what is really an excellent film.

I am also a huge fan of any of the Ginger Rogers + Fred Astaire films, as are my mother and sisters. Grew up watching those repeatedly.

Janson on
    edited January 2007
    Janson wrote:
    redx wrote:
    Janson wrote:
    Gim wrote:

Oh, yes, definitely. I still have a soft spot for My Favourite Things. But I think that perhaps people allow the music to put them off seeing what is really an excellent film.

I think that perhaps people suck! :(

redx on
  • CantideCantide Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat" doesn't get all the love it deserves. There's nothing deep or profound, and it's unlikely to be anyone's favorite, but it's a fun, whimsical show. I really like the expressiveness of the music; when just listening to the soundtrack you know exactly what's going on at every point. In comparison, I have the soundtrack to "A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum", but I've never seen it on stage or watched the movie, so I had to go online and read a plot recap just to figure what the heck was happening in half the songs.

Cantide on
    edited January 2007
    Tommy?

Tommy!

redx on
    edited January 2007
    Cantide wrote:
    "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat" doesn't get all the love it deserves. There's nothing deep or profound, and it's unlikely to be anyone's favorite, but it's a fun, whimsical show. I really like the expressiveness of the music; when just listening to the soundtrack you know exactly what's going on at every point. In comparison, I have the soundtrack to "A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum", but I've never seen it on stage or watched the movie, so I had to go online and read a plot recap just to figure what the heck was happening in half the songs.

Oh man, Zero Mostel is amazing in it. Also, I am amused as to how many parts that Zero had on film that Nathan Lane had on stage.

Fencingsax on
  • Rabid_LlamaRabid_Llama Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Fencingsax wrote:
    Drez wrote:
    Fencingsax wrote:

I was the sound tech running all the microphones last year at my high school. That show was so much fun, but boy did those microphones make me look like a dumbass.

Rabid_Llama on
    /sig
    The+Rabid+Llama.png
    edited January 2007
    Fencingsax wrote:
    Drez wrote:
    Fencingsax wrote:

I was the sound tech running all the microphones last year at my high school. That show was so much fun, but boy did those microphones make me look like a dumbass.

The price you pay for working on a school show. Usually they dont have the funds to buy what you should really have. Believe me, i know exactly how you feel.

Grimm on
    edited January 2007
    poster_lsh.jpg

I saw this one on Broadway a few years back. As a tech, the best part of the entire show for me was when Audrey II stretched out something like 15 feet off the front of the stage and over the audiences heads. ( I was in the 3rd row).

I know its kinda a weird part to like, but i thought the curtain call for the guy working Audrey II was really cool also. They had Audrey II stretch out to the front of the stage, up in the air a bit. When the mouth opened up, there was the operator standing inside waving.

Grimm on
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Drez wrote:
    OK, so, Into The Woods is my favorite musical by far. It's creative and works on so many levels. Some of the hardest/most difficult music pieces too. Your Fault is a fucking nightmare to perform.

I was in a high school production of it, as Jack. Best play I was ever in (over 30, I guess, at last count).

Ditto in being in a high school production. I was the Narrator. Had a fantastic time, and it's just masterfully written. And you have my utmost respect for playing Jack, as that was a tough role - any of the leads was.

And thought it's pretty gay, Rocky Horror Picture Show was enjoyable.

Bolded part is the understatement of the year. Not that that's a bad thing - it's the point.

On the topic of others, I've seen a major production of Sweeney Todd, and it was fantastic. I love that story so much. Avenue Q is also great, and I've also gotten to see a The Lion King live, and that was GREAT. And for all the crap it gets, the touring version of Rent that I saw was quite good.

On the other end of the spectrum, I abhor Lil' Abner.

Jragghen on
    edited January 2007
    Jragghen wrote:
    On the other end of the spectrum, I abhor Lil' Abner.

Fucking 8th grade. We couldn't do something with decent music?

Fencingsax on
  • itylusitylus Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    redx wrote:
    itylus wrote:

uhh... that's the buffy thing right? Or was that named after something else?

Uh huh, the Buffy thing.

"Going through the motions,
    Faking it somehow
    She's not even half the girl she... ow!"

itylus on
  • SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    "You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown" is one of the greatest musicals of all time. I once tried proposing it at my college with all the actors playing their own ages (as opposed to pretend to be little kids) to reflect how ageless the themes really were, but they didn't bite, and decided to go with "Rocky Horror." About the time when I left the department, since I got tired of constant kitsch and melodrama with no real sense of heart.

I recently discovered a great show called "Is there life after high school?" ( http://www.amazon.com/There-After-School-Original-Broadway/dp/B000004CNL , http://youtube.com/watch?v=zU10HsLvp5s). Very nolstagic and tear jerking.

"Ragtime" is another great musical. Truly epic and far reaching. It's a musical about the turn of the century in American history. ( http://youtube.com/watch?v=QTxlrMIKzcQ , http://youtube.com/watch?v=KFn-Xgl7_iI , http://youtube.com/watch?v=cMWqgULSaQQ , http://youtube.com/watch?v=ytueYx6HqVk)

As for more recent shows, "The Wedding Singer": ( http://youtube.com/watch?v=JKboiPjSr18 , http://youtube.com/watch?v=mhcr65l9OjA) and "Bombay Dreams:" ( http://youtube.com/watch?v=84hYCux8wfI)

Schrodinger on
    edited January 2007
    Yay, someone else who's heard of Ragtime. Brian Stokes Mitchell's voice makes me melt.
    I've only heard a few songs from The Wedding Singer but they were amusing. I've heard of Bombay Dreams but haven't actually listened to the music. I'll have to ask my musical buff friends to get a hold of a recording.

bowtiedseal on
  • SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    So it's been over 6 years since anyone posted here.

Anything new in the world of musicals?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=7BraXq07kkM#at=290

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whlsf_hISP4

Holy fucking necro post.

I lack cable and missed the tonys. :(

anyone else catch the NPH and Colbert doing Company? Shit was a OK.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sh5ASfH66kw

Also, fuck almost every single thing about the Les Mis movie.