As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Headphone Search

Nimble CatNimble Cat Registered User regular
I had some Bose headphones that I used all of the time, but they broke recently so I've been using some stock earbuds and have been looking for something better.
I take the bus every day, and I'd like to able to listen to some music on there so I've been looking at isolation headphones. The Bose ones they always show on the commercials are way expensive and too large, I'd like something I can throw in my backpack's pocket. I've seen a lot of good reviews on Shure products, and now Amazon has these ones on sale for $100 new.

http://www.amazon.com/Shure-E3c-n-Sound-Isolating-Earphones/dp/B000E5DLIE/ref=pd_bbs_sr_11?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1226592634&sr=8-11

Has anyone had any experience with these or know of anything better for about the same price?

Thanks.

Nimble Cat on

• Options
    kpeezykpeezy Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I like the Etymotic ER6/ER6is. They're ~$75 I think. If you want to spend more, the Etymotic ER4P are $170ish. Those are my two favorite in-ear type headphones in their price range(I haven't tried Shure).

Edit: Also, the ER6/ER6i are worn normally. As in, you put them in your ear and the cord hangs down. I definitely prefer that. Those Shure headphones are worn upside down and the cord goes over your ear and hangs down behind your ear. I don't like that.

kpeezy on
    me itt
    SSBB: 5370-1223-4258
  • Options
    PhotonPhoton Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Ive had E3c's in the past and loved them, plus they are now discontinued so you may be able to find some pretty cheap prices for them if you hunt around. Dont compare to my shure SE530's but id guess they are out of most sane peoples earphone budgets :D

Photon on
    PSN: photon_86
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I have the Shure SE-210's ( http://www.amazon.com/Shure-SE210-K-Sound-Isolating-Earphones/dp/B000NDPAZ4/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1226617981&sr=1-9 ). They were comparable/a little better than the ones you linked to. Honestly, they were good, but I always went back to my V-Moda Vibes. The shures are headphones, but in the price range, the V-Modas are just more compact, portable, comfortable and they sound just as good, for about $100.

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Those Etymotics look pretty nice. CNET has them reviewed about the same as the Shure pair I posted. Those V-Modas look interesting.

Nimble Cat on
  • Options
    DaemonionDaemonion Mountain Man USARegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I will forever recommend the Sony MDR-7506. It has been my favorite pair of headphones for a while now.

There is a reason almost every recording studio uses them.

Daemonion on
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Daemonion wrote: »
    I will forever recommend the Sony MDR-7506. It has been my favorite pair of headphones for a while now.

They do seem to be a bit lacking in the portability department though ;-)

Anyway I would definitely second the ER6's. Pretty much the best sub 100$ canalphones you can get

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    DaemonionDaemonion Mountain Man USARegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Oh, I thought (judging by the OP's title) he was looking for headphones, not earphones.

Regardless, buy those headphones anyway. They rock hard. :P

Daemonion on
  • Options
    Rigor MortisRigor Mortis Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I have these. They are most excellent. You might be able to find them cheaper if you shop around.
    http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Ears-super-fi-Studio-ear/dp/B000K2PDNM/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1226805120&sr=1-4

They have excellent isolation, and come with a velvet-lined metal case which protects them when you throw them in a bag.

Rigor Mortis on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I ended up ordering the Etymotic ones today. Wrapping the Shure ones around the ear sounds uncomfortable to me and the $25 difference was nice.
    I'll let you know how I feel about them when I get them.

Nimble Cat on
  • Options
    FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Actually they fold and are very rugged, so no. The only problem is that coiled cable. Which some like.

Faricazy on
  • Options
    Doc HollidayDoc Holliday Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I have the ER6i and love them. My only complaints are the ease in which the filter gets clogged (gross, I know), and how fragile the grey tips are.

Doc Holliday on
    PSN & Live: buckwilson
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Faricazy wrote: »

Actually they fold and are very rugged, so no. The only problem is that coiled cable. Which some like.
    Even folded up they'd still be the same size as most players themselves...which is not something most people want to deal with with portable mp3 players, especially when compared to canalphones that can give almost as good sound quality, much better isolation and add virtually no mass.

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2008
    Shure SE-110 Shure SE-110 Shure SE-110.

Super comfortable, super loud, super sound isolation, and awesome, level bass.

I can't say enough good things about this set. Detachable 3 foot cable (so you can have it short or long depending). It comes with a shit load of variously shaped fittings (at least 4 or 5 I think), sound quality's great, 2 year warranty, etc.

Organichu on
  • Options
    cliffskicliffski Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    get your bose phone repaired. You can call bose on the phone and order replacement parts from them. I got my quietcomfort 2 phones fixed, and also a year later ordered replacement ear cushions. They feel brand new again :D

cliffski on
  • Options
    darkenedwingdarkenedwing Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I dont see what people dont like about over-the-ear style. years ago I used to put my earphones in regularly but ever since I tried over the ear it seems like putting them in normally is a crime againt nature. They stay in better and feel more comfortable over the ear, from all my experiances.

It seems like almost all of my earphones break within 2-3 months of use, but they are all $20 earphones that I use for almost 8 hours a day. The sound always goes out in 1 ear, then both. Are the shures made better, or would I be able to get a replacement if that happened?
    Since I might ask for a pair for Christmas :D

darkenedwing on
    image.php?type=sigpic&userid=29216&dateline=1296970870
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I dont see what people dont like about over-the-ear style. years ago I used to put my earphones in regularly but ever since I tried over the ear it seems like putting them in normally is a crime againt nature. They stay in better and feel more comfortable over the ear, from all my experiances.

It seems like almost all of my earphones break within 2-3 months of use, but they are all $20 earphones that I use for almost 8 hours a day. The sound always goes out in 1 ear, then both. Are the shures made better, or would I be able to get a replacement if that happened?

Shures all have a 2 year warranty so if they broke during general use you would be covered by that, though also they will be built better than $20 earphones.

Photon on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Photon wrote: »

Shures all have a 2 year warranty so if they broke during general use you would be covered by that, though also they will be built better than $20 earphones.

Awesome, thanks :D

Now all I need to do is convince my parents that I NEED the $540 earphones or I will cease to exist :( :P

darkenedwing on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Now all I need to do is convince my parents that I NEED the $540 earphones or I will cease to exist :( :P

Haha, thankfully I only had to convince myself of that when i got mine, which wasnt the most difficult task :D Judging from that price you are looking at SE530's? Ive had mine a year and am still in <3 thoroughly reccomended, even my parents agreed they were worth the money when they heard them 8-)

Photon on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Haha, thankfully I only had to convince myself of that when i got mine, which wasnt the most difficult task :D Judging from that price you are looking at SE530's? Ive had mine a year and am still in <3 thoroughly reccomended, even my parents agreed they were worth the money when they heard them 8-)

I would get those if I was rich :(
    i'll probably have to settle for the E110's I think they are. the $100 ones.

darkenedwing on
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008

One piece of advice. Most stores don't let you "try out" canalphones, but if you've got an Apple Store nearby, go there. Most of them have demo units with a huge sack of replacement ear foamies that they let customers try out on request. You may want to call ahead and ask them. They also have a 14-day return period with no restocking fee. They're a generally awesome place to buy earphones.

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    edited November 2008

One piece of advice. Most stores don't let you "try out" canalphones, but if you've got an Apple Store nearby, go there. Most of them have demo units with a huge sack of replacement ear foamies that they let customers try out on request. You may want to call ahead and ask them. They also have a 14-day return period with no restocking fee. They're a generally awesome place to buy earphones.

I had 1 pair of Canal earphones before and I loved them. They were around $50 but they broke in 3 months :(

darkenedwing on
  • Options
    Doc HollidayDoc Holliday Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Speaking of Apple, they'll be selling IEM headphones soon. Dual-driver units for $79. A great deal.

Doc Holliday on
    PSN & Live: buckwilson
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2008
    Yeah I got my Shure SE-110s at Apple and they allowed me to try them out.

Organichu on