As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

EVE Online Empyrean Age: Not like the trailer but still really good

• goobersgoobers Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    That actually sounds pretty fun, to fight against other small groups of people that spend the time moving to where you are, instead of you moving to them :)

I've seen a bunch of people mentioning applying here, this news about a new enemy attacking has actually gotten me more interested in EVE than other MMOs, is it possible for me to join up with Merch? And if so what's the best race to train up for immediate fighting? :D

goobers on
  • MiSTieOtakuMiSTieOtaku Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Application sent in, I think. However, I did a little looking around and that video on this thread about tackling doesn't say anything about the necessary skills. While I'm waiting to get into the Corp, if I even can, it'd be nice to train something.

MiSTieOtaku on
    edited November 2008
    Well, I'm plunging in, as I just downloaded the trial and made a guy named Goobears. Now I'm trying to figure out how to join you guys :)

goobers on
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Application sent in, I think. However, I did a little looking around and that video on this thread about tackling doesn't say anything about the necessary skills. While I'm waiting to get into the Corp, if I even can, it'd be nice to train something.

Propulsion jamming I
    Microwarp Drive op 1[or whatever the skill that lets you use mwd's is]
    Minmitar Frigate 3

You're set

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    How's mining in the new expansion? Anything worth coming back to the game for in that area?

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • VeitsevVeitsev Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Lord Jezo wrote: »
    How's mining in the new expansion? Anything worth coming back to the game for in that area?

They added a new industrial ship called the Orca

Orca Eve-Wiki Article

If you are interested in mining though its not likely you will have much time at the moment. Goonswarm has been reset by Against All Authorities. Merch Industrial is based at the front lines. Mining is going to be hard to do for awhile.

Veitsev on
    nibblersig-1.jpg
    Steam 3DS: 1160-9885-2554
  • PelPel Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    goobers wrote: »
    That actually sounds pretty fun, to fight against other small groups of people that spend the time moving to where you are, instead of you moving to them :)

I've seen a bunch of people mentioning applying here, this news about a new enemy attacking has actually gotten me more interested in EVE than other MMOs, is it possible for me to join up with Merch? And if so what's the best race to train up for immediate fighting? :D
    It SOUNDS fun, but usually is not. Usually trying to fight these sort of gangs gets you cockblocked because they scout and avoid anyone they can't crush. At least that's how it was with Stain, and AFAIK AAA and Stain are pretty similar.

Pel on
  • littwentythreelittwentythree Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Note to newbies: StormyWaters was kicked out of Goonswarm.

So take what he says with a grain of salt of course he's going to have a different opinion of shit hth. This is probably one of the best times to start playing EVE :)

littwentythree on
    newsig.png
  • MoSiAcMoSiAc Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Is there an updated list of bases to apply at? I just went to the one on slayer 7 and the office isn't there anymore. Also goes for the base at Orvolle. There is a goon office there though.

MoSiAc on
    Monster Hunter Tri US: MoSiAc - U46FJF - Katrice | RipTen - Gaming News | Los Comics
  • RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I promise to re-sub when I get my debit card sent to me.

Its only been a 2 week+ wait so far >.>

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Dr.ObliviousDr.Oblivious Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    MoSiAc wrote: »
    Is there an updated list of bases to apply at? I just went to the one on slayer 7 and the office isn't there anymore. Also goes for the base at Orvolle. There is a goon office there though.

I know the office at Gelfiven is still there, course that may be a long ways out for you if you're hanging out in Placid.

Dr.Oblivious on
    Eve Name: Locke Ateid
    Steam Name: Dr.Oblivious

If you can't live for the now, at least live for the future.
    Bad+Dreamer.png
    edited November 2008
    I noticed there is an updated list located in the info message about the corp.

MoSiAc on
    Monster Hunter Tri US: MoSiAc - U46FJF - Katrice | RipTen - Gaming News | Los Comics
  • StormyWatersStormyWaters Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

So take what he says with a grain of salt of course he's going to have a different opinion of shit hth. This is probably one of the best times to start playing EVE :)

I'm actually far less bitter now though because -a- had a lot more pvp going on at all times (from main station-one bridge to hed gatecamp, 5 jumps from there to providence, 5 jumps from the station to curse, 5 to stain, 5 bridges+jumps to querious). POS war bums me out though hopefully feyth/eso fall quick and we can just run around in roaming gangs instead of waiting for someone to mistime a POS.

StormyWaters on
  • Bryse EayoBryse Eayo Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

I'm actually far less bitter now though because -a- had a lot more pvp going on at all times (from main station-one bridge to hed gatecamp, 5 jumps from there to providence, 5 jumps from the station to curse, 5 to stain, 5 bridges+jumps to querious). POS war bums me out though hopefully feyth/eso fall quick and we can just run around in roaming gangs instead of waiting for someone to mistime a POS.

What corp are you in?

Bryse Eayo on
  • DeadlySherpaDeadlySherpa Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Hey i'm posting in my online enemies' recruitment thread trying to discourage new players from joining. Please trust me when I say that there is no reason to play this popular MMO, especially when you consider merchi is on the front lines of one of the most action filled events on the server. with lag issues having been remarkably improved, impossible to catch ships being slowed down, and new player ships like frigate tacklers again having relevance I can't see why it'd be a good time to start playing or resubbing to the corp.

Nope it's going to be really boring and you're not actually going to be able to fight in one of the battles that are going on almost constantly in feythabolis right now. Oh well, maybe later it'll calm down and you can join then.

DeadlySherpa on
    tf2_sig.png
    edited November 2008
    Bryse Eayo wrote: »

What corp are you in?

COL, I didn't realize there was another -a- guy who posts here :O Why does your sig say both Merch & -a-?
    Hey i'm posting in my online enemies' recruitment thread trying to discourage new players from joining. Please trust me when I say that there is no reason to play this popular MMO, especially when you consider merchi is on the front lines of one of the most action filled events on the server. with lag issues having been remarkably improved, impossible to catch ships being slowed down, and new player ships like frigate tacklers again having relevance I can't see why it'd be a good time to start playing or resubbing to the corp.

Nope it's going to be really boring and you're not actually going to be able to fight in one of the battles that are going on almost constantly in feythabolis right now. Oh well, maybe later it'll calm down and you can join then.

I'm not a huge fan of the whole 'online enemy' crap, just because people get reset doesn't mean they're any different. I've played other MMOs where I fraternize with the enemy just fine, it just seems goons take it personally. Some epsilons theorized it's because they're so used to rejection :P

I really do think it'll be a tz war though, unless there's a lot more alarm clock ops, it'll just be a battle of wills. yeah vvv that

StormyWaters on
  • FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

sorry man, it's going to be long grindy pos timing goodness. mmm pos shooting/repping for months to come

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
    edited November 2008
    I really want to play some eve, argh

Would it be worth it to dick around in a trial account for a week or so?

Raslin on

edited November 2008
    I'm been thinking about dusting off my old EvE character whose been sitting in the forgotten corner of my computer for several months now. Might be best time to come back too, I won’t really be at a disadvantage with my rusty PvP skills considering everyone has to, in a way, relearn how to properly PvP since QR made it’s day view.

Dr.Oblivious on

Bad+Dreamer.png
  • LoneIgadzraLoneIgadzra Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

This jesus fuck. This is probably one of the best times to join with the way things are going post-AAA-reset. I am having loads of fun. We have all goons compressed into a few systems in feythabolis making them death traps for roving gangs, and easy US prime time action via stront timing. Having a bunch of our neighbors reset us is the best thing that's happened to goonswarm in some time.

Unlike what StormyWaters was implying, things are at the worst in goonswarm when everyone is just sitting around in their own safe little corner of space raking in isk. This is true even for newbies, who would otherwise discover EVE's isk-making game to be terrible.

On the other hand Quantum Rise introduced a shitty progressive performance decreasing bug which has already gotten me killed, but relogging fixes it kind of.

LoneIgadzra on
    edited November 2008

On the other hand Quantum Rise introduced a shitty progressive performance decreasing bug which has already gotten me killed, but relogging fixes it kind of.

Well it's always like that after an expansion, not that specifically, but it’s always something or another that causes problems for everyone.

Dr.Oblivious on

Bad+Dreamer.png
  • AiserouAiserou Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I can't even play because of a couple of problems that appear to have shown up in the last patch. I'm getting the "socket was closed" error on log in, and then when I manage to finally log in, I usually freeze during loading, or the first time I give my ship a command. If I can get that far, I might be able to play for half an hour before running across a crash or getting disconnected randomly.

FUN TIMES.

As far as I can tell by reading the forums, these are all fairly rare problems that most people only get one at a time. It's like the game is actively trying to keep me from playing it again. Maybe someone told it all those nasty things I said when I canceled my sub. :(

Aiserou on
  • TekDragonTekDragon __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    So what side of the great war is the PA corp on?

TekDragon on
    edited November 2008
    From what I can tell we are with the goonswarm which doesn't mean much to me yet, but it might mean more to some older pilots.

MoSiAc on
    edited November 2008
    Basically, goonswarm rapes things

Once in a while, merchi goes and rapes things with goonswarm

There is much raping though, be assured

Raslin on

• electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    From what I can tell we are with the goonswarm which doesn't mean much to me yet, but it might mean more to some older pilots.
    It means you're on the bandwagon.

electricitylikesme on
    edited November 2008
    It means you're on the bandwagon.

Then let the rapage contiune. Though I think have some RL friends on the BoB side, but I dont think I'll let them know I'm playing this time around heh.

MoSiAc on
    edited November 2008

Out.

An infinite variety of poop jokes in alliance chat doesn't interest me.

TekDragon on
    edited November 2008
    I'm so mean to my irl BoB friend

"How was that rape train in feybolis yesterday?"
    "Take down any bases lately? Ohh, of course not!"

Raslin on

edited November 2008
    TekDragon wrote: »

Out.

Cant say as though I have seen any but then again I have only been in the corp for a little over a day and spent most of that time just getting skills queued and running some simple missions.

If I can tolerate barrens chat, this should be nothing.

MoSiAc on
    edited November 2008

You wouldn't have survived a week in Goonfleet.

Dr.Oblivious on

Bad+Dreamer.png
    edited November 2008
    Some goon gave me 20m isk just for showing up for an uneventful gate camp, just to be a cool person

So I don't really mind them(and yes I know 20m isk isnt a ton but it was a nice gesture)

Raslin on

edited November 2008

Out.

Cant say as though I have seen any but then again I have only been in the corp for a little over a day and spent most of that time just getting skills queued and running some simple missions.

Our old recruitment topic had a better intro to goonswarm, if the links still work: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=55869

The culture is strong, but I would not play with any other alliance, because goons know how to make a shitty boring game fun, and always need something to laugh at (each other if the game is boring), and encourage newbies to take leadership roles and get people killed. Repeatedly.

Also, being in the largest alliance gives one an opportunity to influence the game in very large ways (getting two members on the CSM for example), and you can be involved in every aspect of the game.

"Poop jokes" doesn't quite cover it.

LoneIgadzra on
  • dhirschdhirsch Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    E-p is on the front lines?! Awesome.

Resubbing to defend the wangstar.

dhirsch on
    edited November 2008
    I'm really starting to hate steam. They had my account blocked from purchases then they removed said block, and when I tried to pick up steam for 9 bucks, I am apparently blocked again for some stupid reason.

MoSiAc on
    edited November 2008
    dhirsch wrote: »

Confirming this. Saturday night I was part of the largest 99%-goonswarm fleet I've ever been in at like 300 people, and we raped a BS fleet in VNG.

LoneIgadzra on
    edited November 2008

Confirming this. Saturday night I was part of the largest 99%-goonswarm fleet I've ever been in at like 300 people, and we raped a BS fleet in VNG.

Using lag and server stability as a weapon must be fun.

TekDragon on
  • EtheaEthea Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Using lag and server stability as a weapon must be fun.

The fight had zero server lag. Grid load was normal for fleet fights, and only people that had poor bracket setups got hurt. Maybe next time troll.

Ethea on
    edited November 2008
    I spent a while last night looking at the pos situations in the 3 stations systems being hit, and just missed a shot at a hauler in c9n that was scooping a small/putting up a large :(

However, getting majority in 0oy is nice, I wonder where Red Overlord will go next, JO-? K-9? 2-R? Who knows!

StormyWaters on
    edited November 2008
    I think I followed the instructions right, but I still haven't gotten my Merch forum access set up right. :( However, I'm finally finished training Electronics to III, now I can train the other tackling skills!

goobers on