As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

You have forgotten an important [chat] principle

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Also, on another note, I could kill right now for some really good chicken fingers with some nice honey mustard sauce.
    OH FUCK YOU ASSHOLE
    I want

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Malkor wrote: »
    Should that much turkey really cost so little?

It's really seagull

I'm very sorry

cheap bird meat, who cares what bird it is.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Malkor wrote: »
    Should that much turkey really cost so little?

What is the value of a living being? Turns out it's 29 cents a pound.

Mmmm delicious tastey murder.

Ludious on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Tonight is experimental fish pie night.

japan on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Sarksus wrote: »
    It's a 2003 Civic LX.

Okay, after a bit of googling to find out which engine that got I guess I can safely say that your experience is absolutely not a reasonable predictor of the rate of fuel consumption I could expect on my hypothetical Civic. Thanks, though. :P

My Civic is powered on Love.

But love won't move a Civic fast enough for my tastes. You have a 1.7L SOHC engine that makes 115 hp, I want 1.8L, DOHC, and something in the neighborhood of 160 hp.

What do modern Civics get as far as MPG? My '93 Del Sol gets about 34 with mixed city/highway driving, but it also come with some questionable aftermarket bits, like this loud fucking exhaust tip that I want to see about removing. I imagine more noise = worse fuel economy, right?

TL DR on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    If they were toeing the line they wouldn't be able to reach eachother with their swords. So if they're getting close enough to stab people, they've crossed the line.

Exactly. Crossing the line =\= toeing the line. In fact, 'toe the line' == 'fall in line.'

I never said that toeing the line = crossing the line. I said that it means coming just short of crossing the line. Your definition doesn't make any sense, that's straddling the line. The line is very clearly a border and not a path.

Toeing the line means to fall in line. Follow orders. The House of Commons example shows exactly that. Toeing the line meant you were obeying. Following orders, seeing as how they were told to toe the line.

You're painting 'toe the line' as if someone is on just at the edge of the line, pushing their luck, or their boundaries.

I'm saying that to 'toe the line' means to stand precisely on the exact mark you're told to.

If you are pushing your luck you have crossed the line, because until you cross the line you don't need luck, because you are within your established bounds. Your definition makes absolutely no sense and makes the phrase "cross the line" utterly nonsensical. And yeah you don't need to tell someone to stand precisely behind the line if they're not crossing it, that makes perfect sense. How do you keep finding a way to interpret the line as anything other than a boundary?

It doesn't really matter what makes sense.

One of the accepted colloquialisms for "doing what you're told" is to "toe the line".

It could just as well be to "paint the badgers".

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    If you are pushing your luck you have crossed the line, because until you cross the line you don't need luck, because you are within your established bounds. Your definition makes absolutely no sense and makes the phrase "cross the line" utterly nonsensical. And yeah you don't need to tell someone to stand precisely behind the line if they're not crossing it, that makes perfect sense. How do you keep finding a way to interpret the line as anything other than a boundary?

I have no idea where you getting that my method makes no sense. It's not even my method. I didn't even start this.

If someone is 'toeing the line,' they are falling in with a standard. Conforming, obeying. End of story. What is the problem there? As 'the line' is metaphorically the mark on the ground where people are supposed to stand. It's not a boundary, it's a mark. An order.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Dunadan019 wrote: »
    so i went to the store on sunday and bought a little chicken for 5.30 i figured it would last me 2 days with leftovers for snacks.

i then went and got all my other normal groceries and saw that they are selling frozen turkeys... on sale... for 29 cents a pound.... so a 15 pound turkey costs 4.35

thats right i put the little chicken back and bought a turkey instead.

looks like i have food for a week.

Suspiciously cheap. Has there been a surge in mission persons reports in your area, or lots of posters for lost pets?

TL DR on
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    It's a 2003 Civic LX.

Okay, after a bit of googling to find out which engine that got I guess I can safely say that your experience is absolutely not a reasonable predictor of the rate of fuel consumption I could expect on my hypothetical Civic. Thanks, though. :P

But love won't move a Civic fast enough for my tastes. You have a 1.7L SOHC engine that makes 115 hp, I want 1.8L, DOHC, and something in the neighborhood of 160 hp.

What do modern Civics get as far as MPG? My '93 Del Sol gets about 34 with mixed city/highway driving, but it also come with some questionable aftermarket bits, like this loud fucking exhaust tip that I want to see about removing. I imagine more noise = worse fuel economy, right?

I average 30mpg but I do A LOT of city driving. Stop/Go/Stop Go. When travel from here to Atlanta on I-10/I65/I-85 I can generally get near or even break 40mpg.

Ludious on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    It's a 2003 Civic LX.

My 2003 civic gets like 35+ mpg on the highway

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Inquisitor on
  • Options
    ProtoProto Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    If they were toeing the line they wouldn't be able to reach eachother with their swords. So if they're getting close enough to stab people, they've crossed the line.

Exactly. Crossing the line =\= toeing the line. In fact, 'toe the line' == 'fall in line.'

I never said that toeing the line = crossing the line. I said that it means coming just short of crossing the line. Your definition doesn't make any sense, that's straddling the line. The line is very clearly a border and not a path.

Toeing the line means to fall in line. Follow orders. The House of Commons example shows exactly that. Toeing the line meant you were obeying. Following orders, seeing as how they were told to toe the line.

You're painting 'toe the line' as if someone is on just at the edge of the line, pushing their luck, or their boundaries.

I'm saying that to 'toe the line' means to stand precisely on the exact mark you're told to.

crossing the line and toeing the line are different expressions, they are using "line" in different ways.

Proto on
    and her knees up on the glove compartment
    took out her barrettes and her hair spilled out like rootbeer
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Dunadan019 wrote: »
    so i went to the store on sunday and bought a little chicken for 5.30 i figured it would last me 2 days with leftovers for snacks.

i then went and got all my other normal groceries and saw that they are selling frozen turkeys... on sale... for 29 cents a pound.... so a 15 pound turkey costs 4.35

thats right i put the little chicken back and bought a turkey instead.

looks like i have food for a week.

Suspiciously cheap. Has there been a surge in mission persons reports in your area, or lots of posters for lost pets?

i did have to spend 25 dollars or more and use my club card (which is free and took 2 minutes to get).

but how hard is it to spend 25 dollars at a grocery store?

if they still sell them for that price next weekend, i might buy another one.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    man I'm sick of this bullshit

Elendil on
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    japan wrote: »
    Tonight is amazing fish pie night.

fixed :D

BobCesca on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Now come back, VC. Time for a hug.

Thaaat's it. Come in close.

Mmmmmmmmmm, that's niiice.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Elendil wrote: »

I thought you loved my bullshit.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Elendil wrote: »

Then quit your job as a bull farmer. Or matador.

>.>

<.<

*badum bum tish*

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Now come back, VC. Time for a hug.

Thaaat's it. Come in close.

Mmmmmmmmmm, that's niiice.

Ok now smell the hair a little. Good.

TL DR on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    This explains everything!
    20081117.jpg

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Proto wrote: »
    crossing the line and toeing the line are different expressions, they are using "line" in different ways.
    "Painting the line" is another example.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    or "doing a line"

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    or 'leaving a line.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    Look Out it's Sabs!Look Out it's Sabs! Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    How about "fucking the hell out of the line because the line is a little bitch that likes to get fucked like a slut don't you line awww yeah"

Look Out it's Sabs! on
    NNID: Sabuiy
    3DS: 2852-6809-9411
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    dscf2135iz5.jpg

TL DR on
  • Options
    JohannenJohannen Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Stop showing us your ginger pussy.

Johannen on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    or the ol' "lining up the army men"

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    How about "fucking the hell out of the line because the line is a little bitch that likes to get fucked like a slut don't you line awww yeah"

Ahh Sabs always there to take us to Chris Hansen land.

Speaking of that, there was an article in the paper trying to make me feel bad for a guy who raped a 3 year old. Boo hoo asshole.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    i dont feel like talking about lines anymore.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Where does 'sniffing the line' fall on this line of sayings?

Aldo on
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The path of this conversation has fallen in line with my expectations.

Bama on
  • Options
    JohannenJohannen Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I have to go to the gym.... but I don't wanna!!

Johannen on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    BobCesca wrote: »
    japan wrote: »
    Tonight is amazing fish pie night.

fixed :D

You're feeding him baked goldfish aren't you

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    This [chat] is now terrible, and you should all feel terrible.

Alecthar on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Preacher wrote: »

Speaking of that, there was an article in the paper trying to make me feel bad for a guy who raped a 3 year old. Boo hoo asshole.

Unless the guy has some serious brain defect or something, I have no idea how you could feel bad for him.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Bama wrote: »
    That was a pretty terrible line, Bama. Straight out of an old comedy routine. I guess this is all tangential anyway, though.

durandal4532 on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    OVER THE LINE SMOKEY

MARK IT ZERO

Elendil on
  • Options
    Look Out it's Sabs!Look Out it's Sabs! Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »

Unless the guy has some serious brain defect or something, I have no idea how you could feel bad for him.

I was going to write something bad but I just can't do it. I can't!!

Look Out it's Sabs! on
    NNID: Sabuiy
    3DS: 2852-6809-9411
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    [chat] is terrible indeed. But cats will redeem us all!

dscf2028cs1.jpg

Artsy.

TL DR on
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Bama wrote: »
    That was a pretty terrible line, Bama. Straight out of an old comedy routine.
    There are parallels, surely.

Bama on
This discussion has been closed.