As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Perry Bible Fellowship

• ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    [IMG]http:/ /pbfcomics.com/archive_b/PBF106-Billy_the_Bunny.jpg[/IMG]

It's not the funniest to me. I just happen to really like it. I think it's quite an important idea behind it.

It reminds me of the villainization (that's probably not a word, but it is now!) of predators in nature. I don't think people understand that every meal for a predator can mean the difference between life and death, and any injury beyond the superficial can doom them. I recall that video of the water buffallo calf being attacked by a cheetah (and an alligator), and then the water buffalo fight back and save the calf. All the while the people are rooting for the "victim," but in reality they pretty much fucked the cheetah over.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    The Sgt. Grumbles one: what would a real bear do if you stuck a uniform on him? (A: Sit on his ass.).

I always thought that one was a satire of anti-drug PSAs.

MrMister on
  • KungFuKungFu Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Do the ants dance!

[img]httP://pbfcomics.com/archive_b/PBF062-The_Ants_Dance.gif[/img]

This and the slugs on the sloth are definitely up there for ones that can make me laugh for minutes at a time.

KungFu on
    Theft 4 Bread
  • Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    PBF081-Q.P._Inc..gif

This was always my favorite, I laugh every time I see it and my friends and I use 'Actually I'm just wearing your glasses' whenever things go silent

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
  • KupiKupi Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

This was always my favorite, I laugh every time I see it and my friends and I use 'Actually I'm just wearing your glasses' whenever things go silent

That : | face gets me every time.

Kupi on
    My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Ethan SmithEthan Smith Origin name: Beart4to Arlington, VARegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Godfather wrote: »
    A long time favorite

[IMG]http://www. pbfcomics.com/archive_b/PBF098-Sgt._Grumbles.jpg[/IMG]

I don't think I get this one.

The thing about PBF comics is that for a few short panels there's a suspension of real-world beliefs. You fully accept whatever situation the creator throws at you, and you're sort of transported to his little world, fully accepting whatever scenario he's come up with.

In the final setup, the truth is revealed; Sgt. Grumbles failed to support his comrades because he's a god damn bear, and was doing stereotypical bear things.

PBF pull this kind of thing on a regular basis, and we fall for it every time. Fantastical fantasy settings are shattered to the ground by real world implications, and this is where 90% of his jokes deride off of.

That's why I love it so much. From a young age I've loved those jokes. The first joke I remember laughing histerically at was in the Emperor's New Groove when, even though the antagonists fell off a cliff, they still manage to get to the capital first. Krunk responds to this with "yeah, well, if you look at it...no, it doesn't make any sense"

Ethan Smith on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008

The thing about PBF comics is that for a few short panels there's a suspension of real-world beliefs. You fully accept whatever situation the creator throws at you, and you're sort of transported to his little world, fully accepting whatever scenario he's come up with.

In the final setup, the truth is revealed; Sgt. Grumbles failed to support his comrades because he's a god damn bear, and was doing stereotypical bear things.

PBF pull this kind of thing on a regular basis, and we fall for it every time. Fantastical fantasy settings are shattered to the ground by real world implications, and this is where 90% of his jokes deride off of.

That's why I love it so much. From a young age I've loved those jokes. The first joke I remember laughing histerically at was in the Emperor's New Groove when, even though the antagonists fell off a cliff, they still manage to get to the capital first. Krunk responds to this with "yeah, well, if you look at it...no, it doesn't make any sense"
    "Why do we even have that lever?"

Fencingsax on
  • Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Fencingsax wrote: »

"Why do we even have that lever?"

Excellent movie. Doesn't get the recognition it deserves imo.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    [IMG]http:/ /pbfcomics.com/archive_b/PBF106-Billy_the_Bunny.jpg[/IMG]

It's not the funniest to me. I just happen to really like it. I think it's quite an important idea behind it.

It reminds me of the villainization (that's probably not a word, but it is now!) of predators in nature. I don't think people understand that every meal for a predator can mean the difference between life and death, and any injury beyond the superficial can doom them. I recall that video of the water buffallo calf being attacked by a cheetah (and an alligator), and then the water buffalo fight back and save the calf. All the while the people are rooting for the "victim," but in reality they pretty much fucked the cheetah over.

Watch Planet Earth NOW.

It really makes you feel for both sides, especially the segments in the North and South Pole...
    In the North Pole, the polar bears are having increasing problems hunting seals due to global warming, and in desperation, one tries to attack the film crew's home, and one tries to take down a walrus while starving and gets shanked to death.

Also a very touching sequence of a super-rare Snow Leopard in the Afghan/ Pakistan mountains hunting for her cub.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • SamSam Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    KungFu wrote: »
    I am quite certain that the "man with no penis" one was originally in black & white.

I post this on friend's facebook's on their birthday's.

PBF032-Todays_My_Birthday.gif

Wow I just realized- the kid's going to die when he's 16. :(

Sam on
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    You know how to use an abacus?

moniker on
  • ArgusArgus Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Sam wrote: »
    KungFu wrote: »
    I am quite certain that the "man with no penis" one was originally in black & white.

I post this on friend's facebook's on their birthday's.

PBF032-Todays_My_Birthday.gif

Wow I just realized- the kid's going to die when he's 16. :(

There are 18 beads on that thing, plus the pattern is 3 white followed by 1 green, suggesting a 19th bead hidden on the right side.

Where'd 16 come from?

Argus on
    pasigsizedu5.jpg
  • theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Hey, maybe I'm stupid, but can someone explain this one:

PBF030-Hey_Goat.gif

theSquid on
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    He causes an avalanche.

TL DR on
  • MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    Yelling causes avalanches

Medopine on
  • yakulyakul Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Shouting out your love to the world will only end in your untimely demise?

yakul on
  • SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    It was his, hers, and the goat's birthday that day

SithDrummer on
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Death could be moving the bead in the other direction, suggesting a relatively lengthy life.

wait no I am not going to argue about this

Casual Eddy on
  • theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    He causes an avalanche.

Damn it, so obvious now that I see it. Didn't even pick up on the snow.

theSquid on
    edited November 2008
    Death could be moving the bead in the other direction, suggesting a relatively lengthy life.

The motion lines aren't pointing in that direction.

moniker on
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    These two are my favorites I think.

PBF186-Guntron_Alliance_Force.jpg

PBF210-Wishing_Well.gif

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Variable wrote: »
    Variable wrote: »
    I found that stork one funny without the vulture. it's a nice touch though, if only because you can miss it.
    How is it funny without the vulture?

as people have said, the surrealistic nature of the comics are in and of themselves often enough to make one laugh. I was laughing at the idea of the whole stork baby delivery thing being real, but also being so real as to have to deal with complaining customers who claim they didn't get their shipment. making the ridiculous or mythological as mundane as working at UPS is quite funny to me.

but perhaps I just have simple tastes.
    That's what I got out of the strip as well, the first time I saw it.

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • TaximesTaximes Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    Wishing Well
    PBF210-Wishing_Well.gif

I love how he manages to convey the perfect expressions in the last panel with nothing but two dots for eyes.

Taximes on
  • Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    I think he makes fun of that tendency in this one:

PBF209-Now_Showing.jpg

This is like the only comic on his site I've never gotten, I just don't get it for some reason.

Dark_Side on
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008

Also the beads could be in non-annual increments, death would be unlikely to kill someone on their birthday, etc etc.

TL DR on
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Dark_Side wrote: »

PBF209-Now_Showing.jpg

This is like the only comic on his site I've never gotten, I just don't get it for some reason.

He's saying the future may not care enough about history to get the details right, and after a certain point, reality and fiction are going to start getting muddled.

Like the Past-O-Rama exhibit in Futurama.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
    edited November 2008

PBF209-Now_Showing.jpg[IMG][/img]

It's saying that a lot of our assumptions, especially in movies, about how ancient cultures and civilizations worked are likely out of whack, putting technological advancements centuries out of place at times, by projecting what some future culture thinks of our own time from a millenia away.

Basically it's the History Channel doing a special on Hitler in 3045.

moniker on
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    MuddBudd wrote: »

PBF209-Now_Showing.jpg[IMG][/img]

He's saying the future may not care enough about history to get the details right, and after a certain point, reality and fiction are going to start getting muddled.

Like the Past-O-Rama exhibit in Futurama.
    I had assumed it was more a mockery of our current prediliction to glorify ancient cultures in ways all out of proportion with established fact. See 300, Gladiator, Spartacus etc... He's just extrapolating that out to the future where the wars that are fresh in our cultural mind would have risen to epic proportions as those notable battles of the past have to us.

see317 on
  • osietraosietra __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    Word.

osietra on
  • JohnDoeJohnDoe Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

PBF209-Now_Showing.jpg

Its a parody of "historical" movies that take a huge dramatic license and ignore what actually happened.

JohnDoe on
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    It is all of these things, and that's why it's so great.

Well except what see317 said. That guy's always wrong.

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    How is he even slicing the Nazi's head off so cleanly with a lance like that?!

Those crazy future-people!

KalTorak on
  • CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Nazis have small, pencil-like necks. They wear simple padding around them to give the illusion of normal-thickness necks.

Cyvros on
  • GenericFanGenericFan Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Man, how did I miss this thread for the past...5 days!?

I have not been paying attention, but heck do I love me some PBF.

GenericFan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2008
    The best part about guntron is the green guy's expression

Casual Eddy on
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    JohnDoe wrote: »

PBF209-Now_Showing.jpg

Its a parody of "historical" movies that take a huge dramatic license and ignore what actually happened.

Also penises everywhere.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Why's the E in "Cinema" backwards?

Cyvros on
  • CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    KalTorak wrote: »
    How is he even slicing the Nazi's head off so cleanly with a lance like that?!

Those crazy future-people!

How does a single bullet cause someone to go flying yards backward? It's the same thing, really.

Cervetus on
    edited November 2008
    Cyvros wrote: »
    Why's the E in "Cinema" backwards?

It's the FUTURE

Casual Eddy on
    edited November 2008
    The best part about PBF is the expressions

fix'd

moniker on