As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Dresden Files (TV) Thread

zakkielzakkiel Registered User regular
edited January 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
...Here, I guess.
Based on Jim Butcher's best-selling novels, The Dresden Files tells the story of Harry Dresden (Paul Blackthorne), a regular-guy private detective with extraordinary abilities. While most people see assaults, kidnappings or murders as the work of people with a depraved indifference for human pain, Harry is as likely as not to see the work of supernatural villains.

That's because he's a wizard. The real thing (and the only one listed in the Chicago phone directory). Whether consulting for the police on seemingly inexplicable crimes or following his own cases, he battles dark forces with a wry sense of humor.

The show airs Sundays at 9/8 central on Scifi. You can watch the first episode here.

From what I've seen, it has a lot of potential. The dialog had some first-ep jitters and the script definitely put more pressure on the tow-headed kid than his acting abilities could withstand, but the premise, characters, and look are all appealing and the writing was decent, with strong potential for improvement. I will definitely continue watching. I might even pick up the books.

Note: If you have read the books and dislike the show, please try not to flame it solely on the basis that it departs from the book series.

Account not recoverable. So long.
zakkiel on

• CheetoCheeto Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I loved the first episode and can't wait for tonights.

Cheeto on
    Geebs is a dick and made me change my sig.
    Batman_Sig_by_Merit13.jpg
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I've read every single Dresden book and adore them. It really is a sort of noirish grown up Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Jim Butcher is a really entertaining writer. I have the first episode TIVO'd but haven't watched it yet.

Ludious on
  • RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I think the plotline is going pretty good so far. Tonight's Murphy dialogue was right on the money. Very fun. I still want to see Dresden pull out his boomstick though.

The show is doing things right in my opinion. They are starting with some episodic plots to give us the feel of the characters. But I do hope that they don't stay with the episodic plot. We need a story arc.

Rchanen on
  • BruanBruan Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Interesting universe, just caught the episode that aired tonight.

What in the hell is a raven?

Bruan on
    Playstation: Anthai (Destiny)
    WiiU: jooncole (Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate)
    3DS: 2122-5983-8919
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Being in the middle of this first episode, I want to read these books. How many are there?

Evil Multifarious on
  • zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I just saw the first episode and thought it's alright. Could be moderately entertaining or brilliant if they go the Buffy way....however.....why has Bob the Skull became Bob The Dresser?

zeeny on
  • FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I should be up-front. I've never read (or even heard of) the books. Which means that I dont have any preconceptions other than the advertising.

I watched this today - I like the idea and all - the whole "Monsters are real and so is Magic" thing... But All these shows just seem a little kiddy and campish for some reason. They just feel like buffy or that one with the pretty girl witches. Same sort of stuff, flashy special effects and kind of weak action scenes.

I think maybe its just hard to translate these things into TV...?

I was also hoping for more of a grownup program. Was I wrong in expecting this?

I'd be really interested to hear what others think.
    As you can probably tell, I dont really like buffy - or Angel. I guess I was hoping for something that felt different. A bit more of a gritty program. A kind of BSG when the others are like Star Trek.

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • RoundBoyRoundBoy Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'm late to the party on this as well..

was the episode "Birds of a feather" the first episode ?

I liked it so far .. but for someone who is a wizard, etc .. it did have a curious *lack* of magic.

Skinwalker FTW ?

RoundBoy on
    sig_civwar.jpg
    Librarians harbor a terrible secret. Find it.
  • MerovingiMerovingi regular
    edited January 2007
    I loved it. I hope they DON'T turn it into a more Buffy-like series (too... I don't know.. silly I guess). I think that it's currently just right.

Also, is anyone else reminded of Garret from the Thief games everytime Dresden speaks off screen?

Merovingi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • NerissaNerissa Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Does Sci-Fi replay later in the week for those of us who didn't know about this until today, but absolutely HATE watching a full episode of anything on-line? I spend enough time staring at my computer for work, and my desk chair isn't as comfortable as my couch.

Nerissa on
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited January 2007
    I saw part of it on the TV last night. I guess I like my "magic stuff" a little more behind-the-scenes and mysterious with the plausible deniability and such. [spoiler:c022ea1f8d]This dude deflected bullets with his magic bracelet and another guy was all body-hopping.[/spoiler:c022ea1f8d] I guess it was all a little too much for my tastes.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • zakkielzakkiel Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Nerissa wrote:
    Does Sci-Fi replay later in the week for those of us who didn't know about this until today, but absolutely HATE watching a full episode of anything on-line? I spend enough time staring at my computer for work, and my desk chair isn't as comfortable as my couch.

It will air twice again at different times this week, and I think the episode next Sunday is a repeat of Boone Identity. Check the Scifi schedule.

zakkiel on
    edited January 2007
    Irond Will wrote:
    I saw part of it on the TV last night. I guess I like my "magic stuff" a little more behind-the-scenes and mysterious with the plausible deniability and such. [spoiler:9d177f9016]This dude deflected bullets with his magic bracelet and another guy was all body-hopping.[/spoiler:9d177f9016] I guess it was all a little too much for my tastes.

Wha?

[spoiler:9d177f9016]I don't remember any bullets, and there was a "skinchanger," but you never saw her hop bodies.[/spoiler:9d177f9016]

Evil Multifarious on
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    EM: Sadly, he's talking about episode two which I guess you haven't seen yet.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
    edited January 2007
    Oh.

pwned.

Evil Multifarious on
  • WyndhamPriceWyndhamPrice Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    If you're looking for something like Buffy with a more serious bent then check out Angel. It's significantly darker than Buffy and I'd like to see this show go in that direction. Not that Buffy is bad or anything, but Angel tends to have less camp and "OMG girlpower slayers woo!"

WyndhamPrice on
    WyndhamPrice.png
    edited January 2007
    Seperoth wrote:
    If you're looking for something like Buffy with a more serious bent then check out Angel. It's significantly darker than Buffy and I'd like to see this show go in that direction. Not that Buffy is bad or anything, but Angel tends to have less camp and "OMG girlpower slayers woo!"

I agree. Angel is like Buffy but, for the most part, better.

I'm hoping this show goes in the direction that Angel was supposed to go but didn't.

Evil Multifarious on
    edited January 2007
    Seperoth wrote:

I'm hoping this show goes in the direction that Angel was supposed to go but didn't.

What wold that be? More of a straightforward Detective show?

WyndhamPrice on
    WyndhamPrice.png
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited January 2007
    I would like to see more series take a realistic frame of situations like BSG has. But not every show can be like that of course. I was hoping Dresden was, but you know it works in its own way.

Unknown User on
    edited January 2007
    Seperoth wrote:
    Seperoth wrote:

From what I heard, Angel was supposed to be a very noir-ish supernatural detective show.

Evil Multifarious on
    edited January 2007
    Seperoth wrote:
    Seperoth wrote:

From what I heard, Angel was supposed to be a very noir-ish supernatural detective show.

It was for the first few episodes. Then it got sort of plot heavy for the rest of the series but it never totally abandoned the fact that Angel is running a paranormal detective agency with clients and such. It just lost the episodic noir-ish style for a more tightly woven narrative.

WyndhamPrice on
    WyndhamPrice.png
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Seperoth wrote:
    Seperoth wrote:
    Seperoth wrote:

It was for the first few episodes. Then it got sort of plot heavy for the rest of the series but it never totally abandoned the fact that Angel is running a paranormal detective agency with clients and such. It just lost the episodic noir-ish style for a more tightly woven narrative.

As good as it started out, I'm still convinced the final season of Angel was the best thing to come out of that series or Buffy. Not counting the musical episode or the one where no one could talk in Buffy. Those were great.

Mai-Kero on
    edited January 2007
    Smile Time may be the best television episode of anything, ever.

Drez on
    edited January 2007
    Smile4.gif

Angel's cancellation was probably one of the worst things ever in television. It could've gone on easily for one or two more. I just want some god damn resolution.

Yes, I know people clamor for more Firefly. But in all honesty while it was an excellent show I think it's worse to be left off with characters we know tons about getting no resolution than characters we know only little bits and pieces of.

WyndhamPrice on
    WyndhamPrice.png
    edited January 2007
    I think Angel did pretty well with its ending, for what little warning they had. I really enjoyed the final scene. I do wish it had continued though. It was a very good last season, definitely the opposite of Buffy's last season.

Evil Multifarious on
  • EnwolfEnwolf Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I just saw the preview for the first ep like 3 mintues ago, I must say it looks pretty bitchen, definitely going to give it a watch.

Enwolf on
    edited January 2007
    Whatever happened to the Spike movie? Regardless, I think Angel ended well, though the cancellation was appalling.

The worst decision in TV history, for me, was canceling John Doe. Fuck you, Fox.

Drez on
  • NerissaNerissa Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    zakkiel wrote:
    Nerissa wrote:

It will air twice again at different times this week, and I think the episode next Sunday is a repeat of Boone Identity. Check the Scifi schedule.
    Thanks, I found last night that USA is playing them about a week behind ("Birds of a Feather" is on tomorrow night), at least for the first couple of episodes, so I can catch up. I've got my Tivo set to record it on both USA and Sci-Fi until I can figure out which time period works better into the schedule of things I'm already recording and times I might want to watch live TV.

Is it looking like it's going to be strictly based on the books, or with original plots as well?

Nerissa on
  • zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Nerissa wrote:
    zakkiel wrote:
    Nerissa wrote:

Thanks, I found last night that USA is playing them about a week behind ("Birds of a Feather" is on tomorrow night), at least for the first couple of episodes, so I can catch up. I've got my Tivo set to record it on both USA and Sci-Fi until I can figure out which time period works better into the schedule of things I'm already recording and times I might want to watch live TV.

Is it looking like it's going to be strictly based on the books, or with original plots as well?

It's loooking like stand alone episodes with character development = Bones with a flavour of Magic.
    I'm hoping they get some season/series long storyline going tho.....the show just screams for the epic++.

Edit: That is to say, show is a significantly less awesome than the books......so far.

zeeny on
    edited January 2007
    Did they really air the 3rd episode as the pilot ?

And skip the 2 hour filmed pilot ?

Jesus christ ... no wonder I was confused the first episode.

RoundBoy on
    sig_civwar.jpg
  • vinhjvinhj Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Drez wrote:
    Whatever happened to the Spike movie? Regardless, I think Angel ended well, though the cancellation was appalling.

The worst decision in TV history, for me, was canceling Firefly. Fuck you, Fox.

vinhj on
    edited January 2007
    vinhj wrote:
    Drez wrote:

The worst decision in TV history, for me, was canceling Firefly. Fuck you, Fox.

The Spike movie is pretty much in development hell. Joss Whedon said, last time he was asked, that money was pretty much the only issue in getting it off the ground at all.

So I guess the only new official Buffy/Angel post-end-of-Buffy-and-possibly-Angel is the new comic series Joss is writing.

WyndhamPrice on
    WyndhamPrice.png
  • TripKMATripKMA Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Fallingman wrote:

As you can probably tell, I dont really like buffy - or Angel. I guess I was hoping for something that felt different. A bit more of a gritty program. A kind of BSG when the others are like Star Trek.

Ever try watching Supernatural? Why have I never seen anybody mention it on this forum :x It's a damn good show!

TripKMA on
  • DavorDavor Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    RoundBoy wrote:

Yes, and the 2 hour pilot will be episode 5 and edited down to 1 hour if memory serves.

Also, if you don't like big magic, well, if they follow the books at all you're going to be disappointed. Harry isn't exactly subtle with his abilities as he likes to use overwhelming force whenever possible (IE his enemy isn't human, is using black magic, or just really really mean/annoying).

And that shield bracelet (i always pictured it a little more... dangley) gets a ton of use.

[spoiler:cfb91d1880]
    What I want to know is where is his staff and blast rod? His mother's Pentacle? What's up with the jeep, was it not possible to have a little "blue" VW bug, and a duster (to better hide his shotgun in)?

At least Bob is still technically a skull, they just have his ghost show up instead of a disembodied voice, he even tried to get some ghost tail in episode 2.

[/spoiler:cfb91d1880]

Davor on
  • RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Davor wrote:
    RoundBoy wrote:

Yes, and the 2 hour pilot will be episode 5 and edited down to 1 hour if memory serves.

Also, if you don't like big magic, well, if they follow the books at all you're going to be disappointed. Harry isn't exactly subtle with his abilities as he likes to use overwhelming force whenever possible (IE his enemy isn't human, is using black magic, or just really really mean/annoying).

And that shield bracelet (i always pictured it a little more... dangley) gets a ton of use.

[spoiler:463556bcfc]
    What I want to know is where is his staff and blast rod? His mother's Pentacle? What's up with the jeep, was it not possible to have a little "blue" VW bug, and a duster (to better hide his shotgun in)?

At least Bob is still technically a skull, they just have his ghost show up instead of a disembodied voice, he even tried to get some ghost tail in episode 2.

[/spoiler:463556bcfc]

Yeah, see that's what I am looking for. Harry is a bit of a thug. Think less Poirot. More Spencer (the book/ Joe Mantegna) version. Hurting people really, really doesn't bother him. He wouldn't hurt a good person. But if you get on the bad people list.... well bad shit may happen to you. Mostly in self-defense, because most of the bad people tend to be really really bad. Most of the villains tend to be scum.

Rchanen on
  • LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    TripKMA wrote:
    Fallingman wrote:

Ever try watching Supernatural? Why have I never seen anybody mention it on this forum :x It's a damn good show!

:^:

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
    edited January 2007
    I guess that is what is confusing me... after reading threads on people discussing the books .. and after watching Episodes 1 & 2 (3 & 4?) .. I can't believe people are watching the same series.

The books (as I come to understand, as i have yet to read one) have him as a powerful, but somewhat novice magic user.. but using them to the full extent each time.

The series basically shows his hand glow from time to time, and he gets hit a lot.

My research of Harry Dresden & the series do not jive.

RoundBoy on
    sig_civwar.jpg
  • WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I see what they are doing here, with this show. They are thinking that it wasn't 'main-stream' enough to hold an audience if they went with the straight book->TV Translation. So they mix it up a bit, try to snag the more mainstream audience. Hopefully they will not wait a whole season to get back to the way he is portrayed in the literature (which I actually didn't even know about before the show, so I feel kind of bad about that). Should the show take off, perhaps the network will allow the writers/directors a bit more freedom... At least I can hope they do.

Wulf on
    Everyone needs a little Chaos!
  • zakkielzakkiel Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Davor wrote:
    RoundBoy wrote:

[spoiler:15a9519d3d]

[/spoiler:15a9519d3d]

I don't really think that needs to be spoilered, so:

Paul Blackthorne is too tall to fit in the little VMW of the books, so they opted for a larger, but still appropriately antiquated, vehicle.

Staff and rod - probably eliminated for style reasons. Pentacle - no idea.

Developers felt it wouldn't really work to have a talking skull in a television series, and I have to say I agree. Too much camp.

To answer another common complaint - Murphy is latina because the actresses which originally auditioned for the roles of Susan and Murphy got switched by casting.

I kind of like how they've used magic so far. Too many glowing lights and fireballs get mighty cheesy real fast. It's obvious Dresden is a wizad, relies on magic, and is pretty good at it. I think more would get in the way.

zakkiel on