As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Canadian PAX Participants

LeeLee Registered User regular
edited August 2005 in PAX Archive
Forgive me if a thread like this exists already, but I thought it would be a good idea if everyone who lives in Canada and is going to PAX would post here. It'd make it easier for people to find others to carpool with, share rooms, and so on. Just copy/paste the little list below and fill it out.

Where are you at?:
How many days are you going for?:
Do you have a ride?:
Do you have a room?:
Other necessary info:

And my info. :)
Where are you at?: Lethbridge, Alberta
How many days are you going for?: The whole thing. I'm hoping to be there a day early and leave a day after.
Do you have a ride?: No, my brother and I are still looking for a lift.
Do you have a room?: Not yet, no.
Other necessary info: Nothing.

Lee on

• Options
    QuizMasterQuizMaster Registered User regular
    edited February 2005
    Where are you at?: Surrey, BC (which is pretty much Vancouver)
    How many days are you going for?: All of them, I reckon.
    Do you have a ride?: Yet to figure that one out.
    Do you have a room?: Not yet....do you think there might be a shortage with the deal at Doubletree?
    Other necessary info: Woo hoo.

QuizMaster on
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited February 2005
    Where are you at?: Calgary, Alberta.
    How many days are you going for?: All of 'em.
    Do you have a ride?: Yes, although we still have to work out the details.
    Do you have a room?: Nein.
    Other necessary info: I am addicted to water.

We're hoping we'll have our one friends parents blessings to use their pimped out gas hog. Despite its age, something like a decade, it features a small LCD and ports for consoles. Combined with some PSP's and our ride should be fairly comfortable. Otherwise we're stuck in a car which, well, won't be as great.

I have a question though. We'll all be 19, I believe, with the exception of one who will be 18. Would it be illegal to transport our own alcohol across the border? I understand the drinking age is 21, so I'm unsure of the situation here.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    BorfaseBorfase __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2005
    you will have no trouble consuming alcohol at the hotel, of this i promise you

Borfase on
    duhhhh i like spaghetti-o's lolz
  • Options
    edited February 2005
    I'd give the border cops as few reasons as possible to not let you through Pyro. I'm sure you'll have no problem getting someone to boot for you in Bellevue.

Lee on
  • Options
    BorfaseBorfase __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2005
    seriously, last year during pax the entire hotel was just one big party

you can just wander from room to room all night and drink drink drink

Borfase on
    duhhhh i like spaghetti-o's lolz
  • Options
    impsethimpseth Registered User regular
    edited February 2005
    WHY THE HELL DO I HAVE TO BE THE ONLY PERSON WITH A SISTER GETTING MARRIED ON THE DAY PAX STARTS?????????
    Oh well, love my sister but damn, she couldn't have picked the weekend After PAX?

impseth on
    Sigs are fun.
  • Options
    edited February 2005
    Borfase wrote:
    you will have no trouble consuming alcohol at the hotel, of this i promise you
    Oh, of this I have no doubts. ;)
    Lee wrote:
    I'd give the border cops as few reasons as possible to not let you through Pyro. I'm sure you'll have no problem getting someone to boot for you in Bellevue.
    I suppose I'd better not pack a cooler full of beef then. "Yes sir, that's beef. We're going to have a picnic. You can come if you want, you'll go insane over my burgers."

I'll have to check it out I guess. I hated asking people to boot for me.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited February 2005
    Hell Pyro, I'm 21. I'll boot for ya if I find a ride down there. :)

Impseth, here's a statistic I want you to mull over; about one out of every three Canadian marriages ends in divorce within the first five years. If you're feeling lucky you could take the chance that this is only your sister's first wedding, go to PAX this year, and promise her that you'll be at her next marriage in three, four years. Think about it.

Lee on
  • Options
    impsethimpseth Registered User regular
    edited February 2005
    Lee wrote:

Impseth, here's a statistic I want you to mull over; about one out of every three Canadian marriages ends in divorce within the first five years. If you're feeling lucky you could take the chance that this is only your sister's first wedding, go to PAX this year, and promise her that you'll be at her next marriage in three, four years. Think about it.
    I think my family would kill me. horribly, mutilatingly, with bad sharp things.

impseth on
    Sigs are fun.
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2005
    impseth wrote:
    Lee wrote:

I think my family would kill me. horribly, mutilatingly, with bad sharp things.

Unfortunatly its a popular time of year for weddings. I've already got more invitations than weekends.

So, as long as I can find out how to get to PAX and never let them know thats what I ditched their wedding for...

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    edited February 2005
    Apotheos, you're in Lethbridge too? Small world. You go to UoL or LCC?

Lee on
  • Options
    zatozato Registered User new member
    edited February 2005
    Where are you at?: Calgary Alberta
    How many days are you going for?: 3 i believe
    Do you have a ride?: no, trying to find one for my friend and i
    Other necessary info: Go flames Go

zato on
  • Options
    edited February 2005
    Lee wrote:

Provided none of the alternatives pan out, I'll hold you to it. :D

What community/school are you at zato?

Unknown User on
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2005
    Lee wrote:
    Apotheos, you're in Lethbridge too? Small world. You go to UoL or LCC?

U of L - Grad '03.

I now work there as a web ninja of sorts.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    edited February 2005
    apotheos wrote:
    I now work there as a web ninja of sorts.

Cool. Do you know if they take students on in the summer for that kind of thing? My brother is a 2nd year in their Computer Programing program and he's not sure what he wants to do for the summer; something that doesn't involve Convergys, hopefully. :)

To try and get back on topic, are you going to PAX by car? If so, got two spots? We're willing to split the gas, of course.

Lee on
  • Options
    AlkilithAlkilith Registered User regular
    edited February 2005
    Where are you at?: Orillia, Ontario
    How many days are you going for?: All. I'll be in WA. the 25th to 29th
    Do you have a ride?: Still looking for cheap plane tickets.
    Do you have a room?: Sure do.
    Other necessary info: I Love Bees.

Alkilith on
    I like....traffic lights.
  • Options
    SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    edited February 2005
    Where are you at?: Victoria, BC
    How many days are you going for?: the whole bloody thing
    Do you have a ride?: if we find somebody else going yea, if not we're flyin... how do we get to the doubletree from the airport..
    Do you have a room?: again not yet.... i'm so behind
    Other necessary info: I am two people... meaning that i'm letting my boyfriend tag along *grin*

SmallLady on
    "we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    edited February 2005
    Where are you at?:Nanaimo, BC (used to be victoria, fucking nanaimo)
    How many days are you going for?:Whole thing I imagine
    Do you have a ride?:No, need one
    Do you have a room?:No, need one
    Other necessary info: uh... I don't smell, I'm quiet and I will probably make it through the whole thing unnoticed.

Aridhol on
  • Options
    edited February 2005
    Hey Aridhol,

I was thinking last night and I proprosed to my friends that we take the Victoria Clipper, it gets us to seattle in about 2 - 2 1/2 hours and its' only $100CAD return. and seeing as right now the people who are confirmed out of my group of friends are just myself and my boyfriend, this seems to be the most cost effictive solution.. it's also only an 18min cab ride from the pier to the hotel, or a 20-30min bus ride. and last year once we got to the hotel we never used the car as everything is walking distance... what do ya think?

SmallLady

SmallLady on
  • Options
    twispbytwispby Registered User regular
    edited February 2005
    hey lethbridge folk. i'm from taber. fortunatley i do have a ride to PAX, but we're already packing 5 people in a car so i can't really help you out. sorry.

twispby on
    twispby.png
  • Options
    edited February 2005
    I think thats a great plan.

$100 round trip eh? not bad.

Aridhol on
  • Options
    edited February 2005
    yea I only wish we had thought of it last year!!!

so you in?

SmallLady on
  • Options
    edited February 2005
    Where are you at?: Kelowna, BC
    How many days are you going for?: SmallLady will beat me up if I try to escape early.
    Do you have a ride?: My answer to the last one should give a good enough explanation.
    Do you have a room?: Unsure.. ask SmallLady.
    Other necessary info: rawr

Unknown User on
  • Options
    NintoNinto Registered User regular
    edited February 2005
    Where are you at?: Victoria, BC
    How many days are you going for?: The whole thing
    Do you have a ride?: Yes, either my own car or taking the Clipper - PM me if you want a ride!
    Do you have a room?: Not yet, will try and get one at the DoubleTree.
    Other necessary info: This year is going to rule!

Ninto on
  • Options
    edited February 2005
    Hey Ninto!!

long time no talk!!!!

i got a group of about 7 going... wanna come with us on the clipper???

SmallLady on
  • Options
    Ani_BAni_B Registered User regular
    edited February 2005
    Where are you at?: Lethbridge AB
    How many days are you going for?: The whole thing, probably leaving a day before, coming back the day after
    Do you have a ride?: I will be driving, have two passengers, one spot open maybe, saving it for a friend who is unsure of coming right now, it can be yours if you are good at bribery
    Do you have a room?: Hotel room booked by kindly Mr Lee
    Other necessary info:

Ani_B on
    Felt dark planet turn under my feet and knew what cats know that makes them scream like babies in night.
  • Options
    NintoNinto Registered User regular
    edited February 2005
    SamllLady wrote:
    Hey Ninto!!

long time no talk!!!!

i got a group of about 7 going... wanna come with us on the clipper???

Yeah maybe! Depends on finances, as it's cheaper to carpool. It'll be more fun on the Clipper, though.

What are you guys doin in town? Any LAN parties or get togethers planned soon?

Ninto on
  • Options
    TobiTobi Registered User regular
    edited February 2005
    Where are you at?: Red Deer, AB
    How many days are you going for?: The whole thing. Probably a couple days before it starts and a couple after so my friend and I can go shopping and visit Seattle.
    Do you have a ride?: My friend and I are going in her car, so she'll be driving.
    Do you have a room?: I'll book one next week along with purchasing my weekend pass.
    Other necessary info: I'll be going to represent the PMS clan (http://www.pmsclan.com), whom my friend is also a member of. We're going to meet up with two other girls who live in Seattle to participate in the Halo 2 tournament. I'll probably sign up for the new Splinter Cell and a couple other games on my own, though.

YEaaah to all the Alberta people! I'll be going to the University of Lethbridge starting this fall. (:

Tobi on
    PMS clan + My 1UP profile + Myspace +

GT(s): sagaciouz (Xbox 360), Annarchy (Halo 2)
  • Options
    edited March 2005
    Where are you at?: vancouver, BC
    How many days are you going for?: whole danged thing I reckon
    Do you have a ride?: ya, tahoe!
    Do you have a room?: not yet
    Other necessary info: .... need to hone the halo skillz

question: would a non gamer non geek girlfriend enjoy pax? or best to go solo?

ps: lets get a vancouver area group together.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited March 2005
    Where are you at?: vancouver, BC
    How many days are you going for?: I hope the whole thing
    Do you have a ride?: Girlfriend's 90 Corola
    Do you have a room?: not yet, but i'm sure i'll be at teh doubletree
    Other necessary info: my gf is probably gonna go with me.. she isn't into gaming though. i'm nots ure what to do.

also i concur about the vancouver thing.

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    edited March 2005
    yo hardtarget, sounds like we're in the same boat in terms of the gf thing.

my thoughts is that as a non gamer theyd b pretty bored, i dunno though... if they could keep themselves entertained during the day maybe...

Unknown User on
  • Options
    tmonkeytmonkey Registered User regular
    edited March 2005
    Heh, maybe there should be some sort of organized girlfriend outing, Gamer Widows or something. My gf is only mildly interested, so I feel ya on that.

tmonkey on
  • Options
    edited March 2005
    How can these girls not be excited about the greatest gaming experince of the year!?!?!

HOW I ask you??

Ninto... nothing big really... we're all just playin alot of WOW.... god damn I love that game....

that and we're practicing for the Halo 2 tourny and the D&D tourny.... do you have a Halo 2 team??? as I think my group (not that i'm really in it... cuz i suck monkey butt) needs one more person....

and as an update.... we have booked our hotel room... however.... we already got 6 people cramed in it...

SmallLady on
  • Options
    edited March 2005
    I'll be riding the clipper unless I can find a carpool ride with one of the vancouver people. Also I'd like to stay at the doubletree but how far in advance must one book?

Aridhol on
  • Options
    ZonkytonkmanZonkytonkman Registered User regular
    edited March 2005
    riding the clipper? What is the clipper?
    Also I'm toying with the idea of training it across canada(I'm in NL) if i made it to Victoria, would anyone be interested in someone taking a seat in their car, paying for gas and filling the car with goofy newfie cheer?

Zonkytonkman on
  • Options
    edited March 2005
    Hey Zonkytonkman

The Clipper is short for the Victoria Clipper, which is a fast passenger ferry that goes from downtown victoria to downtown seattle...

also the train only goes as far as pacific station in Vancouver.... but there are lots of people leaving from vancouver as far as I know...

or you could take the grayhound bus.... both the bus station and the train station are both at Pacific Central Station

But i know my group would love to see a nufie presence at PAX

SmallLady on
  • Options
    edited March 2005
    SamllLady wrote:
    Hey Zonkytonkman

The Clipper is short for the Victoria Clipper, which is a fast passenger ferry that goes from downtown victoria to downtown seattle...

also the train only goes as far as pacific station in Vancouver.... but there are lots of people leaving from vancouver as far as I know...

or you could take the grayhound bus.... both the bus station and the train station are both at Pacific Central Station

It would be quite a trip. But I'm foregoing my convocation trip to the dominican in order to do a course in april, so perhaps a little indulgence is in order for PAX. Graduating after 5 years of uni deserves some sort of blow out. Plus I've always wanted to see Canada, the train sounds like a beautiful way to do it. Now to see if I have the time/money and to make up a lie to my GF why I'm going away for 2 weeks, cause I'm sure as hell not telling her I'm going to a video game conference on the other side of the continent.

Zonkytonkman on
  • Options
    AfflictionAffliction Registered User regular
    edited March 2005
    Where are you at?: Vancouver.
    How many days are you going for?: All three. Leaving on the morning of the first and returning in the late evening of the third.
    Do you have a ride?: Yes, full.
    Do you have a room?: Yes, full.
    Other necessary info: Our group comprises 7 people in total. We'll be identifiable on the first day by black T-shirts that say "Aggro" on them. A couple of us are bringing DSes.

Affliction on
  • Options
    edited March 2005
    SamllLady wrote:
    Hey Zonkytonkman

How far is the boat from the train station? Same city even? How often does the boat do the run? Hmmm. This is turning into a very tasty idea indeed. Maybe I'll show up in vancouver a few days early and see the sights. I've always wanted to visit BC. Are there any hostels out there?

Zonkytonkman on
  • Options
    QuizMasterQuizMaster Registered User regular
    edited March 2005
    fezzzik wrote:
    question: would a non gamer non geek girlfriend enjoy pax? or best to go solo?

I reckon it would be flattering if you asked her to go...... then just take it from there.

QuizMaster on