As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Brain Game?

Disco BanditDisco Bandit Registered User regular
edited January 2009 in Penny Arcade Games
I cannot get past the third level. I don't see a way to light up the hexagons on top. Any help please?

Pokemon Diamond: 5412 9146 7564
Disco Bandit on

• BryanS7BryanS7 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The designs are randomly generated, and once on the last one I got a greyed out piece that I could not connect to (was a V shape, and both points were pointed at the wall). I had to start over from my last save point sadly. If this is what happened, sorry man.

BryanS7 on
  • ImmersionImmersion Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Unless I'm mistaken, the instructions say that grey pieces cannot be rotated, but do not need to be healed- if you light every OTHER tile, you should still win.
    Unless I'm mistaken, lol.

Immersion on
  • BryanS7BryanS7 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Immersion wrote: »
    Unless I'm mistaken, the instructions say that grey pieces cannot be rotated, but do not need to be healed- if you light every OTHER tile, you should still win.

You might be right, its been awhile, I just assumed they had to be.

BryanS7 on
  • AceOfSomethingOrOtherAceOfSomethingOrOther Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Immersion wrote: »

This is correct.

AceOfSomethingOrOther on
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    That's right. It should also be noted, however, that if you DO connect to a gray piece, you can turn it pink and rotate it. I mention this because I got stuck for a while being unable to connect to a single purple piece, and eventually figured out that I had to alter a few gray pieces in order to reach it.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • seti920seti920 Registered User new member
    edited November 2008
    This is so hard to say.....

The third screen is kicking my ass.

I *need* to get on to the rest of the game.

Is there a way to edit the game files to convince it I've succeeded, so I can progress?

seti920 on
  • toriantorian Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    you just have to be a little patient. It took my forever to finish the 3rd part. Eventually I had all but three hexes white because I kept them pink for so long.

torian on
  • LushLush Registered User new member
    edited November 2008
    I approached it by making sure all the pieces surrounding the core were connected to it, and spamming the pulse whenever it was avaliable to keep them pink until they went immune, then filling out the rest at my leisure.

I warn you, though, it might not be as fun without that pressure. :3

Lush on
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Yea, you don't need to do it all in one or two goes, just spam the shocks whenever it charges and once most of it's gone white finishing the last few should be easy.

Scooter on
  • Walrus PeteWalrus Pete Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Yeah immunizing the bits around the core is definitely the way to go on round three. It takes all the pressure off of you and you can stop to think.

Walrus Pete on
  • trentsteeltrentsteel Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    This minigame was fun. I liked the cameos.

trentsteel on
    http://www.botsnthings.com/
    I made a TD for iphone and windows phone!

• codewarriorcodewarrior Registered User new member
    edited November 2008
    I've lit up the entire grid of hexagons, but it isn't letting me finish the level.

braingame.JPG

codewarrior on
  • BLACKMASK-COMICS CEO JayBLACKMASK-COMICS CEO Jay Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    God, that fucking mini-game is annoying... The first ep was a fucking cakewalk, and now this shit... DAMN YOU TYCHO!!! I would have said Gabe too, but he's a fucking moron...

BLACKMASK-COMICS CEO Jay on
  • ShabsShabs Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I was pretty sure the first time I got to the 3rd level, it was an unsolvable puzzle.

I reloaded a save and it generated a different 3rd level, and that one was no problem.

Shabs on
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I've lit up the entire grid of hexagons, but it isn't letting me finish the level.

braingame.JPG

Looks like there's a missing hex in the top-right. It's not displaying as needing to be white, but if you connect it as if it were there then you might have some success. Something like this:

braingameum7.jpg

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I, uh... passed this on my first go no problem. I find it odd in that picture that there are no grey pieces.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Because somebody worked hard with an almost OCD-like diligence to turn all possible hexes white?

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Man the more I think about it the more I would love a way to play this at any time.

Hothead, for Episode 3, an option in the agency office to replay any minigames previously played would be badass.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • DimitryZDimitryZ Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I think the brain game is one of the best highlights in EP2.

The context is great ("we only apply electrocution when necessary... Unfortunately it's ALWAYS necessary."), the game is fun, and perfect placement of Twisp & Catsby (what better place to have them show up other than in a madhouse -- in your own brain no less!). Even the music is awesome. I still have the music humming in my scrambled brain.

The easiest (but slow) way to beat this game is to solve it area-by-area.
    First rule: Don't panic.
    Second rule: REMEMBER to electrocute your brain EVERYTIME when the central cell lit up.
    Third rule: If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Wait until all connected cell become white, then work your way piece by piece to cover the entire brain. Don't try to connect too many brain cells at once, you're likely to end up breaking more connections than connecting new ones. The game's goal isn't a complete connection of the entire brain (it's impossible anyway), and there is no time limit so take your time (althought a time-based bonus/unlock/achievement will be VERY nice). I've yet to encounter an unsolvable configuration.

DimitryZ on
    Wishlist for EP3:
    1. The Merch
    2. Claw-shrimps
    [more]
  • EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Yeah, don't worry about connecting everything. I did a "divide and conquer" approach, focusing on various parts, and then once they were set up I would work on another part. By the time I was starting to work through the next chunk, most of the previous section was immune -- and could therefore be in whatever configuration.

I never lit up more than half of the brain in one zap. Immune pieces are your friend.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • DimitryZDimitryZ Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    DimitryZ wrote: »
    I've yet to encounter an unsolvable configuration.

Ok, I'll have to take this back.

Just the other day I encountered an unsolvable case: like the one mentioned earlier, one of the pieces on the edge shown as gray, with no path marking. I cannot "connect" it by any means, and the game does not let me pass when I immune'd all other cells. This is definitely a bug. (Judging from the times I played this mini-game, a rare one.)

DimitryZ on
    Wishlist for EP3:
    1. The Merch
    2. Claw-shrimps
    [more]