As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MotW 11/12/2008 - Wolverine AND Kingdom Come:Superman

124»

• Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Munch wrote: »
    http://www.newsarama.com/comics/110814-Sturges-Beetle.html

God damn it, can't they end the Blue Beetle series without killing someone off? Fuck you, DC.

I imagine this will be the setup for Blue Beetle's arch-nemesis, Black Beetle, who was featured in Booster Gold. As seen in Booster's title, Black Beetle blamed Jaime for the death of a girl or woman who was close to him. Though Black Beetle was called Joshua in Booster Gold, that could easily be an assumed name, middle name, or the first name of someone that more commonly goes by a nickname or middle name. So we can disregard that.

I think that leaves a few options for the identity of Black Beetle. The first and most obvious is Paco, blaming Jaime for the death of Brenda. That'd cause all kinds of blowback and drama with La Dama, and effectively rupture Beetle's entire tight-nit circle of friends. The second is the guy who does Oracle duty for Beetle; Hector I think? He works with a girl (Nadia?), and they seem reasonably close. Not much potential for drama there though. Then there's Traci 13, but there aren't many males close to her, outside of her father and the assorted vagabonds of Team 13. Plus, Azzarello and Chiang made mention of wanting to do a second Team 13 mini-series, and DC probably sees her as a viable property in and of herself.

Then there's a laundry list of other supporting cast members; some Posse members, La Dama, Jaime's mom and sister, and a bunch of others, none who seem all that likely. What convinces me it's Paco is that Black Beetle, if he wanted to save someone close to him, could have just gone back in time and snuffed Jaime while he slept. But he actively tried to go about changing history in a pretty benign way, by saving Ted Kord, and pretty much leaving Jaime be. Now that theory kind of hinges on assuming Johns and Katz weren't just being lazy (and their last issue of Booster Gold certainly showed they didn't really think some plot points through), but the safe money's on Brenda biting it.

I have faith in Matt Sturges knowing that the book is best when it's not stupid-grim. I'm thinking he's just going to kill Polaris or something.

Lux on
  • Options
    SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    TeaSpoon wrote: »
    Nightwing did announce his power, though. I'd be interesting to see if he keeps explaining how his power works, even though everyone already knows. That might be a clue. Or something.

See that's another reason it might be Connor, because he used to continually explain his powers even when the rest of Young Justice were telling him to shut up

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Algertman wrote: »
    It's probably best to end on a dour note. Remember, I Can't Believe It's Not the Justice League ended with Max and Beetle standing together having a laugh, Ralph and Sue thinking about having a baby, Fire and Booster flirting, and Mary Marvel having dismissed the incredulous idea of her wearing bondage slut clothes.

Somewhere in the bowels of the DC offices there is a vast machine that consumes happy endings, expelling twisted lumps of melodrama and manufactured pathos.

Ted is dead. Move on.
    You're wrong. Blue Beetle will never die.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    WHERE IS SARAH CONNOR

Come with me if you want to live.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Keith wrote: »
    They should have had Flamebird have flame vision so people would think she was Linda Danvers!!

Linda Danvers is over in Peter David's Fallen Angel at IDW and everyone should be reading it

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
  • Options
    manjimanji Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    so, just got round to reading wolverine, opinions pretty much the same as the rest of you on the content:cliffhanger ratio. as for what happened to him, for my money
    chucked in a pit, driven into a blind rage, then made to shred his friends and his enemies for the amusement of whoever the big bad is...

manji on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited November 2008
    that's stupid, nobody spells connor with an e!

A guy just ordered tickets from me with the first name Conner

so there

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Keith wrote: »
    that's stupid, nobody spells connor with an e!

A guy just ordered tickets from me with the first name Conner

so there

You should have asked him if his parents were stupid.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So this Superman special will probably be part of the JSA trades at some point?

I just read Kingdom Come for the first time last night, and I would like to dig further into that universe. Plus, I hear the Johns JSA is amazing (like everything he's done in the last few years).

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I'd expect so, Hadji.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    KyleWPetersonKyleWPeterson Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Just make sure to avoid The Kingdom like the plague.

KyleWPeterson on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited November 2008
    The Kingdom wasn't that bad. It just felt overall pointless

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    In fact, The Kingdom was that bad. Let's review why it sucked:

1) "Hey, lets do a follow-up to Kingdom Come - and let's piss Alex Ross off at the same time, so he'll refuse to work on it!"

2) It set up the Superboy punch / "Lets kill off Superman of Earth-2" stuff for INFINITE CRISIS.

3) All of the story elements sucked.

4) The art wasn't so hot, either.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I really hope the Kingdom Come ongoing gets canceled quickly

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    What?

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    There was talk that The Kingdom would be an ongoing series soon.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    so if it ever happens, I hope it gets canceled quickly. and I am not talking about the original rumor either, about the original mini. I swear it popped up more recently again.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    KyleWPetersonKyleWPeterson Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    In all fairness, Ross is a pretty big diva and gets upset daily.

KyleWPeterson on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    See, originally, The Kingdom was going to be an ongoing - Ross had done a bunch of developmental stuff for it - the premise would be that stuff now was happening that would lead to the KC future - basically, what's being played out in JSA right now, but this would have happened back in 1999 or whenever.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    yeah I know about that.

but they were going to do it again now after Thy Kingdom Come in JSA

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    No they weren't.

You're diseased.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I was looking at the Justice trades, and they're really damn thin for the price. Was Justice any good?

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    If you like the Rossiverse, yes indeed.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    It was ok. It's main draw is its use of as many heroes and villains as it can cram into a book, and making it feel as tremendously epic as it can. I picked up the hardcovers because I am a sucker for the art, and how nice they look on my shelf. They're definitely overpriced though, there's no reason they couldn't have made it into 2 books, or one big one.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Agreed on that. It was only 12 issues after all.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    CoJoeTheLawyerCoJoeTheLawyer Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    It was ok. It's main draw is its use of as many heroes and villains as it can cram into a book, and making it feel as tremendously epic as it can. I picked up the hardcovers because I am a sucker for the art, and how nice they look on my shelf. They're definitely overpriced though, there's no reason they couldn't have made it into 2 books, or one big one.

The story was so-so, but if you are into the whole "Challange of the Super Friends"-era of DC, then you'll love it. The art is the main draw, esp. if your a big Rossiphile. I didn't buy the trades because I suspect that DC will releasde it as a giant-sized Absolute Edition at some point.

CoJoeTheLawyer on

CoJoe.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    The art is pretty good except it's covered by dialogue

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The only thing I really liked in Justice was the apocalyptic beginning. Everything else didn't really grab hold of me. Cool armor designs, though.

Lux on
  • Options
    HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Wildcat wrote: »
    Algertman wrote: »
    It's probably best to end on a dour note. Remember, I Can't Believe It's Not the Justice League ended with Max and Beetle standing together having a laugh, Ralph and Sue thinking about having a baby, Fire and Booster flirting, and Mary Marvel having dismissed the incredulous idea of her wearing bondage slut clothes.

Somewhere in the bowels of the DC offices there is a vast machine that consumes happy endings, expelling twisted lumps of melodrama and manufactured pathos.

Ted is dead. Move on.
    You're wrong. Blue Beetle will never die.

Ted is not the Blue Beetle.

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    It was a riff on the first page of Batman RIP.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Htown wrote: »
    Ted is not the Blue Beetle.

In addition to Wildcat's rebuttal, allow me to add, "orly?"
    329662-19025-125251-1-booster-gold_.jpg

I mean, it's right there in the title brosef. Take it up with Geoff Johns.

Munch on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    also in regards to Wolverine
    I think it's gonna end up being pretty important that no one knows what happaned to Reed and Sue

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Fencingsax I saw your post

be glad you deleted it before I could quote it for all to see

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »
    Fencingsax I saw your post

be glad you deleted it before I could quote it for all to see
    Is it my fault you people aren't being clear you're talking about Old Man Logan? I don't read Wolverine, and I don't really read Millar, so it took me a second.

Fencingsax on