As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Dial Q for the Question! (about Comics Thread)

ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
edited June 2009 in Graphic Violence
Was Vic Sage the first Question, or was there an original...secret Question?

Does Superman wear underpants under the underpants on the outside of his coustume?

Just how long can Mister Fantastic's you-know-what really you-know-what?

If you have a question about comic characters, creators, books, art, or cannibalistic secrets then feel free to post it here and one of our resident smelly losers will be happy to dig the answer out of a teetering stack of moldering back issues!

newsigs.jpg
Servo on

• VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    My question is why you started a separate questions thread :)

For the record I like this OP more than Geebs'... and as we all know you guys are competing for our affection, so points for you!

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited November 2008
    Servo

Garlic Bread on
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Would asking why we have two question threads be a relevant question for this thread, or should I ask in the other question thread?

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Servo's is so much better

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    How do Mister Fantastic's powers work, anyway. If he's not actually exercising control, is he like a normal person? Like, if you got him while he's sleeping and shot him, would he be screwed? I actually seem to remember a thing from Civil War where Sue says it's really gross when Reed's focusing on something really hard and he starts to sag, so.

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
    edited November 2008
    Reed was probably not expecting to get blasted point blank at the start of Secret Invasion but he survived more or less so I think the sleeping scenario is out

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
    edited November 2008
    In SI, I assumed that was a specialized gun to fuck with his powers because he did pretty weird shapes. I don't think it was really a projectile.

Faynor on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Could you suffocate him?

Robos A Go Go on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    is this the right thread? or the other q and a thread?

Did the next volume of Amazing Joy Buzzards, titled Monster Love, ever come out?
    When does Incognito start?
    Does anyone know anything about Kirkman and Walker's Destroyer? Is it still happening?

DouglasDanger on
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2008
    I declare that the two threads shall battle for a week!

Whichever thread has more posts on Monday the 24th of November shall be...victorious.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited November 2008
    But what if I

Garlic Bread on
  • nindustrialnindustrial Word Typer Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Keith wrote: »
    But what if I

Don't do that

nindustrial on
    chstreamsig.jpg
    edited November 2008
    But what if I

Don't do that

Do what?

Garlic Bread on
  • nindustrialnindustrial Word Typer Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    But what if I

Don't do that

Do what?

This?

I can feel time and space tearing

nindustrial on
    chstreamsig.jpg
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2008
    Faynor wrote: »
    How do Mister Fantastic's powers work, anyway. If he's not actually exercising control, is he like a normal person? Like, if you got him while he's sleeping and shot him, would he be screwed? I actually seem to remember a thing from Civil War where Sue says it's really gross when Reed's focusing on something really hard and he starts to sag, so.

yeah in that scene in civil war where sue leaves reed, you see reed sleeping for a panel or two and his arm is all goopy and gross and draped over his body and ugh

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    This thread is like the Gred Land to the other thread's Rob Liefield.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
    edited November 2008
    I've always pictured Reed... puddling if he wasn't concentrating/asleep. It's not a nice picture.

There have been a few scenes where he's been really "tired" in bed after "activities" where there are arms and shit all over the place. At least, I hope it was an arm!

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • Jester313Jester313 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    This Reed Richards conversation is a fantastic way to start a morning.

Thanks guys.

Did anyone watch Batman: The Brave and The Bold?

Jester313 on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Virral wrote: »
    I've always pictured Reed... puddling if he wasn't concentrating/asleep. It's not a nice picture.

See, meanwhile I'm picturing Sue reaching over and grabbing Reed in the middle of the night, pulling him over her like a blanket.
    If I ever get to write a Ralph and Sue Dibny comic that's totally going in.

Munch on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I know Ultimate Reed has been established as no longer having any internal organs or anything like that, his entire body mass is all elasticized or whatever.

I dont know if they've ever gone to the trouble of explaining that sort of thing with 616 Reed

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Munch wrote: »

See, meanwhile I'm picturing Sue reaching over and grabbing Reed in the middle of the night, pulling him over her like a blanket.
    If I ever get to write a Ralph and Sue Dibny comic that's totally going in.
    dead people don't need blankets

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • ScumdoggScumdogg Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So i just read The Return of Superman, mostly because i got that, Death of, and World Without A, all pretty cheaply. Like $15 for all three cheap. Otherwise i don't think i'm a fan of that era in DC comics.

But i do have a few questions regarding it:

What's up with Lex Luthor II and his weird shapeshifting Supergirl? Are there trades that deal with their origins or would it be easier/less boring to just get like a short synopsis here?

Bibbo seems to pretty much be the best character related to Superman. Are there any good stories out there i could read that feature him heavily?

Jon Bogdanove is a terrible artist, even by 90's standards, and every time i got to one of his issues in the book i wanted to quit reading so bad. I don't think i've ever seen any character look as awful as his red-headed Lex renditions. Is that guy still working? And if so, why? Am i missing something as to how he got put on such an important (at the time) arc?

And finally: Does the DC Universe ever feel like as coherent a Universe as the Marvel one? It just seems like when you have a big Marvel event, there's random characters popping up all over the place. But (spoiler'd, i guess?)
    Cyborg Superman sends like 5 Justice League members on a fake space mission, and consequently NOBODY is around to try to stop him and Mongul from completely eradicating Coast City? Seriously? This also falls in line with a question i asked a while back about how only five or six heroes really did anything at all to try to stop Doomsday. But then Superman's funeral has like a million superheroes there. Why does the DC Universe feel so barren of heroes when the shit is actually hitting the fan, but so populated when someone gets killed or married?

Scumdogg on
  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    DC also actually spreads their heroes around the globe, as opposed to Marvel, where every single person who wears a costume lives in Manhattan. The 50 states initiative has changed this, but that's very recent.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    man, has anyone else read Marvel Apes, in all of its horror? Because I sure have, unless they came out with a new issue recently.

Ape-vengers who are all monkey versions of marvel characters but guess what guys they are also spoiler alert if you actually give a shit
    vampires

Langly on
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Wait, WHAT?

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    wwtMask wrote: »
    Wait, WHAT?

YES

Langly on
  • ScumdoggScumdogg Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    DC also actually spreads their heroes around the globe, as opposed to Marvel, where every single person who wears a costume lives in Manhattan. The 50 states initiative has changed this, but that's very recent.

I dunno, DC seems to have enough near-godlike characters to render point of residence somewhat irrelevant. As opposed to Manhattan's cadre of transparent women and freerunning lawyers. I mean, the Avengers are pretty powerful, but they don't have like a headquarters in space or anything. Unless they do now.

Even Batman with his no powers is often written as a man who is nigh-omniscient and who could probably beat down Mongul or Lobo in a straight-up fistfight if they messed with his car or threatened Alfred or something.

Anyway, i know it's a Superman book and so it's Superman's problem, i was just wondering if the DC Universe always felt so oddly vacant outside of the various Crises on Infinite Whatevers.

Scumdogg on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Langly wrote: »
    wwtMask wrote: »
    Wait, WHAT?

YES
    And Marty Blank is in it too!

Wildcat on
    edited November 2008
    I leafed through them. It was actually pretty jarring. You'd think they'd be trying to get a kid audience with haha cutie monkeys that are like heroes!! then they have
    A bunch of monkey heroes beat the monkey version of Doctor Octopus to death

Faynor on
    edited November 2008
    Marvel Apes actually seemed pretty funny, from the scans I saw. I'll skim it when it comes out in trade.

000b6paf

Robos A Go Go on
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    That page restores a bit of my faith in Marvel Apes. :P

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
    edited November 2008
    That is pretty funny

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
    edited November 2008
    Was that in one of the back ups, or something?

Also, this thread is losing the race. :(

Faynor on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Scumdogg wrote: »
    What's up with Lex Luthor II and his weird shapeshifting Supergirl? Are there trades that deal with their origins or would it be easier/less boring to just get like a short synopsis here?

Bibbo seems to pretty much be the best character related to Superman. Are there any good stories out there i could read that feature him heavily?

Jon Bogdanove is a terrible artist, even by 90's standards, and every time i got to one of his issues in the book i wanted to quit reading so bad. I don't think i've ever seen any character look as awful as his red-headed Lex renditions. Is that guy still working? And if so, why? Am i missing something as to how he got put on such an important (at the time) arc?

And finally: Does the DC Universe ever feel like as coherent a Universe as the Marvel one? It just seems like when you have a big Marvel event, there's random characters popping up all over the place.

Lex contracted cancer from prolonged exposure to kryptonite, cloned a body for himself, and stuck his brain in it, masquerading as his own son. The protoplasmic Supergirl is a long, terrible story. Here's the wiki.

The only good Bibbo story I can recall was one that was most likely included in the trades you purchased. It has Bibbo musing on why a shmuck like him gets to keep living, while a guy like Superman had to die.

Bogdanove is still working. Though not with the frequency he once did.

The DCU tends to be a little scattershot at times if taken as a whole, but for the most part things line up as they should. There are notable exceptions; right now Final Crisis is in full swing, and feels detached from the rest of the line, which won't feel the impacts of the event until a few months after it's over. The current line of Batman books is kind of a mess, with nothing between the two flagship titles Detective Comics and Batman syncing up. Hopefully it'll be better after Final Crisis, but I'm not holding my breath.

Munch on
  • sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I hate to admit it, but as a kid, I actually LIKED Bogdanove's Superman art. Occasionally it got glaringly ugly, but most of the time I thought that was pretty cool.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
    edited November 2008
    What's the new Squadron Supreme series like? Worth getting in trades if I enjoyed JMS' Supreme Power?

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    is this the right thread? or the other q and a thread?

Did the next volume of Amazing Joy Buzzards, titled Monster Love, ever come out?
    When does Incognito start?
    Does anyone know anything about Kirkman and Walker's Destroyer? Is it still happening?

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=74311
    What's the new Squadron Supreme series like? Worth getting in trades if I enjoyed JMS' Supreme Power?

It's shitty

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
    edited November 2008
    It hasn't been that good since it stopped being a MAX title.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited November 2008
    Question: Is my bold reimagining of Phoenix made with Marvelkid.com's Super Hero Creator bold enough?

LaPhoenix.jpg

I was very bored :(

Faynor on
    edited November 2008
    D:

D:

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
This discussion has been closed.